Poll

JP and MM for KM and MP

Yes
48 (23.9%)
No
153 (76.1%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Would you trade Rudess and Mangini to have Moore and Portnoy back?  (Read 7727 times)

Offline adamack

Re: Would you trade Rudess and Mangini to have Moore and Portnoy back?
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
I would absolutely trade Mangini for Portnoy, but not Rudess for Moore.

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Wouldn't trade JR for KM, and I like to think that I wouldn't trade MM for MP, but I'm afraid I would actually trade. When I saw the documentary about the drummers I found MM almost too energetic, and that made me really like him. Now when I see some videos of the current tour he seems bored. He did an excelent job on DT12, but something about his presence makes me think about the trade you proposed. I'm going to see them live for the first time 10/02, hope he proves me wrong. And I have a weird problem with him never playing in the classic position right hand in hihat and left in the snare, crossing the arms  :lol .

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
I think this thread is somehow predicated on the idea that this trade would bring back the splendor of when that combination was around. I gotta be perfectly honest, but I think no combination of current or previous DT members would create another IAW or SFAM.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »
I think this thread is somehow predicated on the idea that this trade would bring back the splendor of when that combination was around. I gotta be perfectly honest, but I think no combination of current or previous DT members would create another IAW or SFAM.
Thank god this is just all meant for fun then. Of course bringing back an older member doesn't mean they'll create another I&W or Scenes

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2014, 02:30:14 AM »
Wouldn't trade JR for KM, and I like to think that I wouldn't trade MM for MP, but I'm afraid I would actually trade. When I saw the documentary about the drummers I found MM almost too energetic, and that made me really like him. Now when I see some videos of the current tour he seems bored. He did an excelent job on DT12, but something about his presence makes me think about the trade you proposed. I'm going to see them live for the first time 10/02, hope he proves me wrong. And I have a weird problem with him never playing in the classic position right hand in hihat and left in the snare, crossing the arms  :lol .

One thing I noticed in the bootleg videos is that "energetic" MM that you saw in the documentary shows up when he is doing drums for osngs that were done during his tenure. Maybe the drum patterns were more attuned to his drum setup and playing style, so he can play more loosely. For example, his joy in drumming Illumination Theory shows in the various clips in Youtube.

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »

One thing I noticed in the bootleg videos is that "energetic" MM that you saw in the documentary shows up when he is doing drums for osngs that were done during his tenure. Maybe the drum patterns were more attuned to his drum setup and playing style, so he can play more loosely. For example, his joy in drumming Illumination Theory shows in the various clips in Youtube.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just saw some videos and didn't even noticed if it was a song of his period in the band or not. But again, I really hope I see what you're saying on the show and he proves me wrong, I really like the guy and the things he's been doing on the new songs. But I still consider the trade.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »
I think you'll find MM very precise and concentrating on his playing, but do not underestimate the playfulness and personality that he shows during the show.

MP played live shows like he was a teenager playing in his bedroom, and that was always my favorite part of being a DT fan, but I am in no way disappointed with MM live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
Judging by the last 2 albums they don't need to! They are doing just fine.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
In a heartbeat. I think Rudess and Mangini are both far better at what they do, freakish levels of musicianship, but Moore and Portnoy were both much better at what I want from Dream Theater.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »
In a heartbeat. I think Rudess and Mangini are both far better at what they do, freakish levels of musicianship, but Moore and Portnoy were both much better at what I want from Dream Theater.

+1