Author Topic: Whatever happened to Daniel Gildenlöw?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Whatever happened to Daniel Gildenlöw?
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »
It used to be in this forum that you couldn't open a thread without somebody mention his name or a project of his.
He sings a few lines on TA's Kaleidoscope, but that's the only thing I can think of. I know he had health issues for a while, did he not recover?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Whatever happened to Daniel Gildenlöw?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »
Somewhat on topic, I remember back in the day when Pain of Salvation and Marillion were talked about as much as any non-DT band, and now you barely see threads about them anymore.  Not that I am complaining, since neither band is my cup of tea, but it just makes me wonder where all of the fans of both bands went.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
he was abducted my aliens.
or went on a mission of abducting aliens.
i potentially misremember the rumours.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:27 AM »
Daniel was very ill...he had some flesh eating bacteria on his intestines or something like that...he was in the hospital for quite a while. he just got back to the band performing.

My love for Pain of Salvation started to fade with Be and returned a bit for Scarsick, but the latest two Road Salt releases have been very disappointing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
It used to be in this forum that you couldn't open a thread without somebody mention his name or a project of his.
He sings a few lines on TA's Kaleidoscope, but that's the only thing I can think of. I know he had health issues for a while, did he not recover?
He was working on an acoustic album with PoS after the TA album when he got sick, which took him out of action for quite a while. He only just recovered a few weeks ago so not sure what you're expecting from him in that time. It's not like he always did lots of side projects.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
I wasn't expecting anything from the poor guy :lol

This was just spurred from half-ignorance about what he had been up to. It's just that he was one of the central "new prog" characters (at least on this forum), but then slowly just disappeared.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Dead and buried  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Daniel was very ill...he had some flesh eating bacteria on his intestines or something like that...he was in the hospital for quite a while. he just got back to the band performing.

My love for Pain of Salvation started to fade with Be and returned a bit for Scarsick, but the latest two Road Salt releases have been very disappointing.

Those first 4 albums he did with Pain of Salvation were all great in their own way.  They took effort and patience to get into, but really paid off when they "clicked."

"Be" has its moments, but "Scarsick" was....not very good.  I heard a few songs from the "Road Salt" albums - not my cuppa.

I'm glad to hear he's doing better with his health, though.   :tup   

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
I wasn't expecting anything from the poor guy :lol

This was just spurred from half-ignorance about what he had been up to. It's just that he was one of the central "new prog" characters (at least on this forum), but then slowly just disappeared.
Yeah that seems to happen to pretty much every band here, apart from DT obviously. Lots of discussion when something is happening, like a new album, and then nothing for ages.

In terms of PoS, they haven't really been making much noise about the acoustic album, which I think is contributing to the lack of discussion. Hopefully things will pick up a bit once it comes out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I think in terms of Pain of Salvation, the audience they didn't kill off with Scarsick, they killed off with the Road Salt albums. Okay, quality aside, because it's not like those albums are awful, I think there has been a general decline in interest when it comes to PoS, and I think it's partly because of their new direction, but also because of the loss of all the members except for Daniel. It's basically a completely different band now than the band who made classics like The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane and BE.

But yeah he's had some health problems and PoS has been stone dead since RS2 came out. There's an acoustic album in the works, but who knows when that will come out. I think the one thing that would ignite people's passion would be something like a The Perfect Element Part 3 with a return to the more classic PoS sound. The 70s thing is just not very interesting, and a lot of bands are doing the same thing better.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
He got stale.

Hahahahahaha get it?!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
I think in terms of Pain of Salvation, the audience they didn't kill off with Scarsick, they killed off with the Road Salt albums. Okay, quality aside, because it's not like those albums are awful, I think there has been a general decline in interest when it comes to PoS, and I think it's partly because of their new direction, but also because of the loss of all the members except for Daniel. It's basically a completely different band now than the band who made classics like The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane and BE.

But yeah he's had some health problems and PoS has been stone dead since RS2 came out. There's an acoustic album in the works, but who knows when that will come out. I think the one thing that would ignite people's passion would be something like a The Perfect Element Part 3 with a return to the more classic PoS sound. The 70s thing is just not very interesting, and a lot of bands are doing the same thing better.
This.

Longtime listener here. PoS were on the top of the up and coming prog metal list after Be, and they change course. Several non prog albums, cancelled tours, member changes, and health issues later, they're like a brand new band with no footprint or momentum again.. Sad but they really missed their chance.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
You remind me of YtseBitsySpider.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
I'd heard about the acoustic album.  I know that PoS is going to play Remedy Lane in its entirety at ProgPower this year also.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
I'd heard about the acoustic album.  I know that PoS is going to play Remedy Lane in its entirety at ProgPower this year also.

I'm hoping the playing of the RL album sparks some prog metal wires in Daniel's head.  I liked Road Salt, but I dropped off a bit after that too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Huge fan of Remedy Lane and  The Perfect Element Pt. 1.  I've always felt that he got a lil too cute for his own good during the Be, Scarsick, and RS albums.  His political BS got really old too.  Like someone mentioned, it's a damn shame because they had awesome potential. 

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »

I'm hoping the playing of the RL album sparks some prog metal wires in Daniel's head.  I liked Road Salt, but I dropped off a bit after that too.
Bumping this up.....

There's an interview in the ProgPower program with Daniel and it that interview he states that he is starting to get the metal itch again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »

Bumping this up.....

There's an interview in the ProgPower program with Daniel and it that interview he states that he is starting to get the metal itch again.

I hope he follows through with this, great news.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »
Another album in the TPE/RL style would be gold. I've said it before that I liked RS2, but in general I feel like the RS albums lacked that little bit of edge that a metal influence would have given them. So this is great news.