Author Topic: Which musical directions should DT consider, or what do you wish they will take?  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
Considering the current directions, influences, and what the new bands are doing, regarding progressive metal music, should DT follow them, showing that they're still the reference point, or they should go ahead without thinking to that?

Personally, I would like to hear some "djentish" songs from DT, combined with their delicate and unique melodies. For me, it would be a very intriguing music mixture.
Also, I'd like to hear more fusion moment's, a la LTE.

Feel free to mention bands (for example: Planet X, Animal as Leaders, TesseracT, Blotted Science, Intervals, etc...) from which DT might take inspiration.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:42:52 AM by Progressive Metal Fusion »

Offline Knguro

I would love to see them execute some latin Jazz just something quick and sick that's all I ask.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline nikatapi

I'd love to see them explore more atmospheric passages, the intro to Behind The Veil for example is amazing. I would love to see some more of this stuff.

Also, some more hard rock approach, i feel like it's missing in the recent albums, while it was present on SDOIT and FII. I think that less metal would give more space to Jordan and John Myung to do interesting stuff.

So i would say less metal riffing and more rocking-jazzy-fusion stuff would be nice.

I also would love to see Mike's rhythmic abilities more involved this time, i'm still waiting for that head-scratching rhythm that becomes so satisfying after figuring it out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:27:50 AM by nikatapi »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I'd love to see them explore more atmospheric passages, the intro to Behind The Veil for example is amazing. I would love to see something more of this stuff.

Also, some more hard rock approach, i feel like it's missing in the recent albums, while it was present on SDOIT and FII. I think that less metal would give more space to Jordan and John Myung to do interesting stuff.
This.

Offline emtee

For every post where someone 'wants' something different there will be a post that replies 'no thanks' and that is the damned
if you do/don't problem DT has. I would like to believe that they are creating music that springs from their heart and soul but
I believe they (especially JP) gives strong consideration to what the fans will think and therefore they will probably never stray
far from the melodic prog metal format that they have always followed. In other words, dance with the girl that brung ya.

Offline Sycsa

The OP's nickname pretty much sums it up for me. I'd love it if they took full advantage of MM and got a bit more technical, in a Planet X kind of vein. Give Jordan and JM more space too, not just inject them after the song is basically done. Also, the hard rock riff of IT was brilliant, I'd be happy to hear more of those as well as more songs like Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears or Blind Faith...

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'd love to see them explore more atmospheric passages, the intro to Behind The Veil for example is amazing. I would love to see something more of this stuff.

So i would say less metal riffing and more rocking-jazzy-fusion stuff would be nice.

All of this would be good. Something less metal, and incorporating some different styles they haven't explored before, or just haven't explored a lot, and giving more space for the other instruments to become the foundation of the song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm fine where they are. I just don't want them to get lazy or generic. of course, some would argue they're already there...

Offline a51502112

• Canada!

This. There was a lot of cool fusiony stuff on I&W that I miss, and a lot of it has to do with JPs guitar tone. It had a more, "woody" sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I dunno. I'm pretty happy with their current sound. They just need to nail the production.

I'd be happy with a "Mixed Grill" DT album like Octavarium again - showcasing every side of them.

I don't like totally mellow albums or completely balls-out heavy albums.

They both get boring really fast.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I'm fine where they are. I just don't want them to get lazy or generic. of course, some would argue they're already there...

They are getting generic.  I think too much focus has been on touring and not enough effort is going into making solid albums.  There is an achievable balance between the two.  Of course, it was reversed in the early years when they had more time to concentrate on writing really good music.  I don't like the direction that RR is taking the band.  They've lost the really complex, jazzy and technical side of their writing.  They need to get back to their heavily progressive roots.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'd be happy with a "Mixed Grill" DT album like Octavarium again - showcasing every side of them.

Honestly, I might characterize the last two albums as this, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think they were done as well. DT12 was mostly heavy throughout and Along For The Ride is possibly their worst ballad ever.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Honestly, I might characterize the last two albums as this, no?
ADTOE: yes
DT12: not really

Offline lithium112

I wish they would change up their approach to song structuring and chorus writing on the next album. I enjoy DT's "epic, soaring melody" sound, but I think I'd like it more if it was something that happened once in a song (let's say) instead of something that I know will predictably repeat three times in a song because it's time for the chorus...

Besides that, I still enjoy their core sound and hope that the trend of JM's playing being more up-front and independent of the guitar continues.

Offline yeah_93

I'd like them to try some sort of Flamenco-like song. Acoustic guitar for Petrucci not just for soft/emotional parts.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
For every post where someone 'wants' something different there will be a post that replies 'no thanks' and that is the damned
if you do/don't problem DT has. I would like to believe that they are creating music that springs from their heart and soul but
I believe they (especially JP) gives strong consideration to what the fans will think and therefore they will probably never stray
far from the melodic prog metal format that they have always followed. In other words, dance with the girl that brung ya.

Exactly this.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
More poppish and jazzy songs, metal songs could be even more metal. Now they are in a safe mode doing things what they have done earlier. More modern sounding album could be my hope. Not Opeth-kind-of-modern sound, I mean modern and clear sounds.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cut back a little on the metal and give us more proggier things. You know, more twists and turns, unexpected stuff. I'm thinking SDOIT experimentation and such.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
More experimental ala SDOIT.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sorry, but what was so experimental about 6 D's?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Virtually everything, from their songwriting to the recording methods.  Easily their most experimental album.  No other album sounds like it, and no other songs sound like they could be from that album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Virtually everything, from their songwriting to the recording methods.  Easily their most experimental album.  No other album sounds like it, and no other songs sound like they could be from that album.

Correctly stated. Listen to Misunderstood and tell me in what other album that song could fit in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sorry, newcomer here. ;D

Actually the feeling I get from 6 D's is "artistic freedom".  Maybe we're talking about the same thing.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I guess your "artistic freedom" probably falls in line with being experimental so yeah.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
DT12 was mostly heavy throughout and Along For The Ride is possibly their worst ballad ever.

The Looking Glass
The Bigger Picture
Surrender to Reason
Along for the Ride

I would not describe any of those songs as heavy.  And that is four of the nine songs.  Even Illumination Theory, despite being heavy early on, is more not heavy than heavy.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
DT12 was mostly heavy throughout and Along For The Ride is possibly their worst ballad ever.

The Looking Glass
The Bigger Picture
Surrender to Reason
Along for the Ride

I would not describe any of those songs as heavy.  And that is four of the nine songs.  Even Illumination Theory, despite being heavy early on, is more not heavy than heavy.

Thank you. I've been trying to say this for the longest time. It really perplexes me how people can think that DT12 is a heavy album.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline 425

All of this would be good. Something less metal, and incorporating some different styles they haven't explored before, or just haven't explored a lot, and giving more space for the other instruments to become the foundation of the song.

Agreed.

This probably won't be popular at all, but I'd also like to see a bit more of the electronic stuff they dabbled in on ADTOE. I'm talking like the Build Me Up, Break Me Down and Outcry intros. I honestly think it would be cool to hear a little more of that in their sound.

The Looking Glass
The Bigger Picture
Surrender to Reason
Along for the Ride

See, what I've been saying throughout the history of this debate is that the four songs that you mentioned *should* not be heavy. They're not written as heavy songs. But the guitar tone and production of the album make them *sound* heavy. Which is rather unappealing to me.

Like, honestly, the way those songs sound on record, every single one of them is heavier than anything on ADTOE. Even Along for the Ride. The guitar on the second verse just comes in way harder than (to my personal ear for these things, which you can trust or not) it really should.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

This probably won't be popular at all, but I'd also like to see a bit more of the electronic stuff they dabbled in on ADTOE. I'm talking like the Build Me Up, Break Me Down and Outcry intros. I honestly think it would be cool to hear a little more of that in their sound.

Oh man, I would love that. Honestly, BMUBMD was quite a disappointment for me, because that intro made it sound like this was going to be some more electronic, almost Industrial sounding track form DT, and then they went ahead and "Massive Epic Choir"ed it up.

Offline Skeever

An instrumental album.

An instrumental album.

Riiight. And you'll have JLB do what? Play the cowbell?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Have a special edition bonus disc of Just the vocals.

Have a special edition bonus disc of Just the vocals.

Well, while we're at it, why don't they do a complete A cappella album? Van Canto style, maybe. Have JP sing the riffs.  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Rap album.

Offline Skeever

An instrumental album.

Riiight. And you'll have JLB do what? Play the cowbell?
It really wouldn't matter to me, as long as it wasn't singing.

Don't get me wrong, I love James, but it'd be cool to see the band just go all out without having to pay regard to vocals.