Author Topic: Generation Prog Festival 2014 - Nov 15 in Nuremberg, Germany  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
Generation Prog Festival 2014 - Nov 15 in Nuremberg, Germany
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

the fifth event in my Generation Prog series has recently been announced, this is our event poster:

It's gonna take place at the MUZclub in Nuremberg, Germany, on November 15.

I imagine most of you will be familiar with these bands, but if not, we have compiled some information and links to audio samples on https://www.generation-prog.com

The Relocator set will be a very special 10th Anniversary show, half of which will be covers of prog classics! Our special guests include outstanding vocalist Arno Menses from Subsignal and Indian percussionist P.V. Bhaskar (on the mridangam). It's gonna be a real prog party! :D

We're expecting quite a few guests from abroad. Forumers from England should know that there is a direct Ryanair connection from London to Nürnberg! :)

Tickets for the festival can now be pre-ordered:
https://www.generation-prog.com/?page_id=1172&lang=en

Once again we're also offering hotel package deals - we're working with a 4-star hotel within walking distance of the venue! :) The number of rooms is limited, so if you're interested, don't hesitate too long!

Hope to see some of you in Nuremberg in November! :)
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Generation Prog Festival 2014 - Nov 15 in Nuremberg, Germany
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »
For a small festival that is quite an excellent lineup, right down to your guest vocalist. Of course I can't be hopping the pond for it, but hope all goes well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
Time to bump this thread with some important news - some brand-new, some a bit older but not mentioned here before:

1. The hotel combo deals will only be available until this Friday as that's when the hotel's booking deadline is!

2. Only 40 pre-sale tickets remain! The plan is to offer some more at the door, but it's not clear how many we'll be able to offer then as it isn't 100% certain how many people we'll be allowed to let into the venue!

3. A belated update on the Relocator 10th Anniversary set: We have a new guest singer, the great Paul Adrian Villarreal from Sun Caged will lend us his voice for the special "prog classics" covers section of our set. It's gonna be great! :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 04:09:58 AM »
So, anybody going to be there?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 04:11:21 AM »
I would if I lived in Germany or anywhere remotely near. As it is, it's impossible for me to go over there. Have fun!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
Well, that was pretty amazing. Maybe not the best concert that I've been to, but definitely Top 3.

Beyond the Bridge were perfect and Magali Luyten did her part as the female voice incredibly well. Most of the songs were performed like on the album, but it was just so awesome that I didn't really care, though there was a cool small jam preceding The Struggle and the solo on Where the Earth and Sky Meet was even better than the studio version. Aside from The Primal Demand and All a Man Can Do, they played the entire album, with the only change in order being that The Difference Is Human was moved after Where the Earth and Sky Meet to close the main set, and they closed it off with an amazing rendition of Can You Feel the Love Tonight. I highly recommend seeing this band live if you have the choice, they are awesome. I also talked to Peter a little, and he's a really nice guy - we ended up sharing stories of how we competed in a Germany-wide youth musician contest when we were younger and had a really great time.

Exivious were the low point for me. Their music is very sophisticated, and they are awesome on their album, but it's just a type of music that doesn't really translate well to a live setting. Technically very impressive, and some awesome bass playing though.

Kristoffer Gildenlöw surprised me positively as well. While I like his stuff, here it translated to a live setting far better than I thought it would. He was a pretty funny guy on stage and the banter was really funny, especially when he went about describing what the videos in the background were supposed to be, since it was hard to make them out against the backdrop. The highlight of his show was when Charlie from Haken and Magali Luyten joined him on stage and they performed PoS's "Ashes". It was awesome.

Relocator were pretty good as well. Their first two songs were two of the better instrumental songs that I know, but they didn't fire up the crowd like the rest of their set did, where they were joined by singers to perform Kansas' "Song for America", Symphony X's "THE MOTHERFUCKING ACCOLADE" and Dream Theater's "Learning to Live", the last one with Haken's Ross Jennings.

Haken were awesome. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get "Deathless", but there was so much awesome that I don't really want to complain. Highlights were "Parodeilia" (that growling part got everyone fired up), "Cockroach King" and the encore "Visions".

So yeah, this was pretty fucking awesome. It was also probably the longest time that I have been standing in my life - 9 consecutive hours, from 5 pm to 2 am, but it was totally worth it. If you have the possibility of seeing any of these bands (maybe except for Exivious, idk), don't hesitate to do so.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
Dream Theater's "Learning to Live", the last one with Haken's Ross Jennings.
I hope someone got that on video.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online krands85

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
Dream Theater's "Learning to Live", the last one with Haken's Ross Jennings.
I hope someone got that on video.
Exactly what I was thinking!  :lol ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
inorite

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 03:10:27 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the festival, Scorpion - thanks for coming! :)

The festival sold out before the first note was played. Every band played to a packed house. Lots of special stuff happening throughout.

Kristoffer Gildenlöw performed Ashes with Maggy Luyten (Beyond the Bridge) on lead vocals and Charlie Griffiths (Haken) on 2nd guitar.
Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqnyNGUJi0

He also performed Rust with Charlie on 2nd guitar and Conner Green (also from Haken) on bass.

The Relocator setlist was quite special with guest musicians joining us throughout:

- BigScape (new song) - feat. PV Bhaskar on mridangam

- Aavishkar (with percussion/drums battle) - feat. PV Bhaskar on mridangam
Video from our rehearsals of the battle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnArnhI3wfg

- Song for America (Kansas cover) - feat. Paul Adrian Villarreal (Sun Caged) on vocals

- The Accolade (Symphony X cover) - feat. Paul Adrian Villarreal on vocals + piano in the middle section

- Learning to Live (Dream Theater cover) - feat. Ross Jennings (Haken) on vocals
Two short videos here (more hopefully coming soon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYvOOuTVaNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-W2_bt6vks

- Relocator (2nd half only)

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:10:51 AM »
It's been pretty awesome to say the least! Scorpion already summed it up nicely i guess, so there's not much to add, only this: Keep up the good work, Kyo! ;)  :metal :metal :metal