Author Topic: Recommended Bands For Dream Theater Fans  (Read 11055 times)

Online Skeever

Re: Recommended Bands For Dream Theater Fans
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Instead of DT clones, listening to bands DT have influenced bUt who do there own things (Between the Buried and Me, Periphery, etc)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
In fairness, most of the bands suggested are basically just Dream Theater with different singers and occasionally an interesting take on the genre.

Although I haven't really listened to his recent stuff, I don't think Devin Townshend applies to that formula... I could be wrong though. All that comes to mind when I hear his name is SYL.
His solo stuff is a lot different than SYL.

But it isn't like DT.
I remember in the Deconstruction commentary he mentioned trying to channel Dream Theater at certain times, particularly in the Mighty Masturbator I think. Not saying there's an obvious similarity to DT, since it's nothing like them, but the inspiration is there.

I will say this: If you like DT for their sense of melody and bombastic parts, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Devin Townsend too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2014, 03:57:42 AM »
Instead of DT clones, listening to bands DT have influenced bUt who do there own things (Between the Buried and Me, Periphery, etc)
I agree with this.  Listening to DT clones just gets you listening to a bunch of bands who sound like DT impersonators - you know, not as good as the real thing.

But listening to bands who were inspired by DT, but now do stuff that is quite different (but still incorporates the influence) is a much more rewarding experience.  At least for me.  So listening to bands like Between The Buried And Me, Animals as Leaders, Dysrhythmia, Scale The Summit, Haken, Frost*, or other bands who may still be considered progressive metal but weren't influenced by DT, such as Tool or Opeth, is better than listening to DT wannabes.  For me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Skeever

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2014, 07:19:13 AM »
Excellent list above.

Definitely recommend Scale the Summit and Animals as Leaders, especially if you're not ready for harsh vocals yet.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
To add to Hef's point about DT clones not being as good as the real thing: DT have so many different elements and components to their sound that as a fan you could find bands that aren't trying to directly emulate DT and just have a couple of these elements and be much more satisfied than you would be with a band who try to do everything exactly like DT. For example, if you love DT's technicality, you can go for Scale the Summit or Animals As Leaders. If you like their epicness/sense of grandeur, go for Haken. If you like when they get heavy and more riff driven, Periphery is where it's at. And so on and so forth. Often times (and definitely the case for all the bands I've mentioned) these groups take that element and push it even further, and build upon it. Whereas a DT clone won't take it any further than DT already has.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
Or you can listen to "DT Clones" like Circus Maximus whose first 3 albums are better than DT's released at that time.

OK, Octavarium puts up a good fight against The 1st Chapter, but Isolate kicks the shit out of Systematic Chaos, and Black Clouds isn't even in the same universe as Nine. Another band already mentioned is Redemption. Their 4 albums released near or at the same time are infinitely better than what DT put out those years.

Haken is overrated. As is Tool. As is Opeth. What I've heard from BTBAM is...... Not well.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
Meh, I like some songs from Circus Maximus but none of their albums stand up to DT even at their worst IMO. overall they sound so bland and second rate.

Also, why are you comparing Nine to BC&SL? It came out after ADTOE.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
Just going in order. But Nine is better than ADTOE too so...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
I think you can make the case for at least Nine being better than Systematic Chaos, but that's it. If DT released any of those albums, I'd be severely disappointed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
TASTES SMASTES YOU FOOL!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
 :sadpanda:

I will say that Architect Of Fortune is a great song though. That's the only one I find comparable with DT's best work in recent years.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
Burn After Reading? Last Goodbye? Circus Maximus is great. Eat my shorts!

Online Skeever

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Most albums are better than Systematic Chaos.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
I love love love the three epics on Nine, plus Namaste. The rest is somewhat meh-ish, but on the whole I'd take the album over BC&SL, but not over ADTOE.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
Circus Maximus sounds like the last new album they bought was I & W.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
Just go to General Music Discussion and look around. I guarantee you'll find something you love in 10 minutes or less. Just make sure your wallet is full...
This so much. I find that DT fans come from different musical tastes, ones come for prog, others come from metal, others don't even like DT at all nowadays :lol But a lot of the bands I like nowadays are the ones that I've discovered in GMD over these years.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »

Because catchy melodies and weedly weedly?

Online Skeever

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2014, 04:25:43 AM »
Circus Maximus are horrible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2014, 04:48:58 AM »

Because they are a DT wannabe clone band with no originality.

If that's what you like, then cool.

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2014, 05:08:42 AM »
Have you ever heard of Blotted Science? No? You should, they're amazing.
It's all instrumental prog metal, but of an excellent quality. Music composition and technicality at it's best, in my opinion.

I especially recommend their latest album named "The Animation of Entomology".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2014, 06:32:23 AM »
I would also note that virtuosity and technicality in and of themselves aren't necessarily great things.  A band like Spiral Architect, for example, is technical as hell, but I don't enjoy listening to them very much.  Of course, I'm not an android, so that may explain that.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
Symphony X, Katatonia, Opeth, Fates Warning, Redemption, Haken, Riverside, Pineapple Thief, Jolly, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson,  The Ocean, Eumeria, Karivool, Michael Harris, Genesis, Rush (duh) Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Dixie Dregs, Anathema, Frank Zappa
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »

Are you basing that on their first album alone, cause yeah, they were like Dreamryche X, but they came into their own with their next two albums. Yeah, what I like are great melodies from both vocals and music and that's what they offer. Sometimes when Dream Theater or Symphony X inspired bands try to do their "own" thing they sound like shit, examples being Pathosray and Suspyre. Circus Maximus still keep that DT influence close, but they have their own unique thing going on. All three of their albums sound different anyway.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
I'm no huge fan but Circus Maximus' "Nine" album is a damn side better than a lot of prog metal out there (IMO) and Eriksen has one of the best sets of pipes around.

Having said that .............I also think the debut Pathosray is pretty decent (the 2nd not so much)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
I'm no huge fan but Circus Maximus' "Nine" album is a damn side better than a lot of prog metal out there (IMO) and Eriksen has one of the best sets of pipes around.

Having said that .............I also think the debut Pathosray is pretty decent (the 2nd not so much)

Both Pathosray and Suspyre have excellent debuts, then it all goes down hill. The only good song on Pathosray's second is the opener, Crown of Thorns. The rest of the album sounds nothing like that.

Offline emtee

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
Haven't read through the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned...

Dominic's A Trilogy II and III are as DT'ish as you can get.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »

Are you basing that on their first album alone, cause yeah, they were like Dreamryche X, but they came into their own with their next two albums.
If you say so.  I dropped them after the first.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Their second album is approximately ∞ times better than their first, which I honestly didn't like at all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
Yeah, Isolate was an instant hit, whereas the debut took some time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
Their second album is approximately ∞ times better than their first, which I honestly didn't like at all.
Again, if you say so.  I'm not disputing you.

I would just prefer to listen to something a little more original, and less obviously derivative.  Just a personal preference.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »
Again, if you say so.  I'm not disputing you.

I would just prefer to listen to something a little more original, and less obviously derivative.  Just a personal preference.

But you should at least give it a try though.

"What's that you say? Their second album is better? Well then, I shall give it a listen... Oh this is drek! I paused my tea and crumpets for this?!"

Well at least you gave it a chance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
I'll try to track it down, just for you.  A buddy of mine likes them, I'll see if he has it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I'll try to track it down, just for you.  A buddy of mine likes them, I'll see if he has it.

Just for me?!

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
If you want a good version of modern progressive rock, check out a band called the Flower Kings. I think Haken sounds like a slightly heavier version of them. Another good band I started listening to when I first got into Dream Theater is Shadow Gallery, they're also a little heavier.

Other than that I agree with all of the people who say "stick with DTs influences."
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Flower Kings are great if you like long songs and a good sense of melody. And there's a ton of bands to explore that are like them such as Spock's Beard, Neal Morse's solo projects, Kaipa, and of course Transatlantic. A totally different brand of prog rock than Dream Theater, but enjoyable just the same.