Author Topic: Who was your first celebrity death?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Who was your first celebrity death?
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
My FIRST celebrity death ?  :justjen :justjen

Hmmm.... Hard to say.....

I have killed a lot of people.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 09:26:19 AM »
The first one that actually hit me was back in 09 when The Rev died.

None besides that have gotten more than an "aw that sucks" from me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
Elvis hit me because it crushed my mother.

But I think the first one that really bothered me was probably John Bonham.  Others that have bothered me:  Stevie Ray Vaughn, Freddie Prinze, John Wayne

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »
Jon Lord's death and his struggle with cancer leading up to it was hard to deal with, I had huge fondness for the guy, he was the most influential musician of my adolescent years and inspired me immensely. Saw him live and got his autograph two years before he died, it was a dream come true.

I'm a huge Sopranos fan and regularly re-watch the series every 2 years so. It did that last summer and ended a late night marathon with the episode "Kennedy And Heidi". The episode ends with James Gandolfini raising his arms to the sky shouting "I get it!" to the desert sunrise. After that emotional scene I went online before bed and saw that he had just tragically passed away. It was like a shot to the gut. The end credits to the episode were still playing.

No other celebrity death really affected me, although I remeber Michael Jackson's music becoming wildly cool and appreciated among my peers after he died. Before that, he was just a subject of lame jokes and ridicule.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
I was very sad about MJs death but more in a tragic way thinking about his pure talent as a kid that becomes the biggest popstar we will ever see and his chaotic later years leading up to his fate. He obviously had issues probably from being a wonder kid since 6 years old and not having a proper and calm childhood. Those kind of celeb stories will always affect me.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Surprised to see no mention of Dimebag Darrell yet. That one fucking crushed me. I think that was the first celebrity death that really made me feel anything than just beyond an, "Oh, that sucks." Dimebag Darrell and Robin Williams are the only celebrity deaths so far, I think, are the ones that made me---and still make me---feel like I've lost somebody truly significant.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »

I'm a huge Sopranos fan and regularly re-watch the series every 2 years so. It did that last summer and ended a late night marathon with the episode "Kennedy And Heidi". The episode ends with James Gandolfini raising his arms to the sky shouting "I get it!" to the desert sunrise. After that emotional scene I went online before bed and saw that he had just tragically passed away. It was like a shot to the gut. The end credits to the episode were still playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pPcPW0bEps

It was also the episode where someone else died.  I won't say who, so as not to spoil it for anyone who is still gonna watch the series, but I cannot hear this song without thinking of his character.  The song was like the goodbye to him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I think the one that pissed me off the most was either Radio 1 DJ John Peel or Clash Guitarist Joe Strummer.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
Not sure if this counts, but Dan Wheldon was a big shock. Watching the tribute laps and listening to the commentary before the end of the broadcast was very emotional.
Scott Kalitta's death was huge for NHRA, and I'd watched him race for quite a while.

As far as people in movies, or on TV, Steve Irwin. I used to watch him all the time at my grandparents' house, so finding out he died when I wasn't that old was kind of a big thing.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
Elvis was the first I can remember.  1977, 11 years old.  Remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.  So yeah, and there's been a lot since then too.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
Richard Wright. Then Dio. Now Robin Williams.

Rick and Robin hit me the hardest though.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
Elvis
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Elvis was the first I can remember.  1977, 11 years old.  Remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.  So yeah, and there's been a lot since then too.

Didn't realize you were that old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
Oh come on TAC, you've never seen my profile?  My age has always been in there.  I'm not old, just older than most here. :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
Oh come on TAC, you've never seen my profile?  My age has always been in there.  I'm not old, just older than most here. :biggrin:

I haven't seen your profile. But obviously I see the year you were born in your username.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
Surprised to see no mention of Dimebag Darrell yet. That one fucking crushed me. I think that was the first celebrity death that really made me feel anything than just beyond an, "Oh, that sucks." Dimebag Darrell and Robin Williams are the only celebrity deaths so far, I think, are the ones that made me---and still make me---feel like I've lost somebody truly significant.
Oh man feel ashamed not thinking of Dimebag, yea that was insane but the real shock was how he died which to this day still shocks me. The fact that some crazy person walked up on stage and shot him infront of fans and the band and crew, just crazy. I even remember the day I first heard it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »
Oh man feel ashamed not thinking of Dimebag, yea that was insane but the real shock was how he died which to this day still shocks me. The fact that some crazy person walked up on stage and shot him infront of fans and the band and crew, just crazy. I even remember the day I first heard it.

So true. Not a Pantera fan or Dimebag fan per se, but being murdered like that is quite shocking.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

Damn you old fart!  Didn't know you were older then me.  Well, I'll drink to that! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

Damn you old fart!  Didn't know you were older then me.  Well, I'll drink to that! :lol

Shit, you'd drink to it even if he were younger than you! :lol

I just don't remember DA66 being in any Fogey/ classic-80's rock conversations.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
I'd drink for the sake of drinking!

I see that people have been posting about what hit them hard,  but I first posted Elvis because it was the furthest back I could remember someone dying that was "That" famous.  I think when I was a little older, Lennon hit me in a different way but I wasn't floored by it.  Lady Di was the first one that shocked me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
I was shocked when Steve Irwin died. Not that he died, but that it wasn't by a croc.  I actually liked him a lot.

After Ronnie Dio died, I watched interviews on youtube for like a week.

I don't know if you were watching Felger And Mazz, but they closed the show with a great montage of Robin Willams pics and movie quotes.  He was really quite iconic. Truly more than just a comegian.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
No I missed it.  I was driving home at 5.  I have so many of his stand up specials on VHS tapes.  The man could ad lib like no other.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

Just a couple farts older.  :lol

Shit, you'd drink to it even if he were younger than you! :lol

I just don't remember DA66 being in any Fogey/ classic-80's rock conversations.

That's why I was confused when you didn't realize.  Thought you knew me.  I really don't post a lot but I have been here since 2007.  Oh well, no biggie.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
No, no, I definitely recognize you as a DTFer, but I guess we've never conversed directly. My name is Tim. Good to make a new friend!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
And here's what Tim looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJZK6rzjns

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »
Earliest I can remember is Cobain in 1994. It was in April wasn't it ? I would have been 15.

I remember being surprised but not much else. I wasn't a big enough Nirvana fan that I was devastated. I got into Foo Fighters *VERY* soon after as I read that Dave had a new band called Foo Fighters and I remember telling my friend in school in 1994 or 1995 to remember the name Foo Fighters  :)

Princess Diana was only a few years later but it paled in comparison to losing my own mum the same year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »

Princess Diana was only a few years later but it paled in comparison to losing my own mum the same year.

You lost your mother while you were quite young. I'm sorry to hear that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »

Yeah I was 18. I was barely an adult.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
I lost my mom at age 43 and it still stings every day.  Totally get where you are coming from Kotowboy.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
First one? I don't remember. But the first one that resonated with me and really depressed the hell out of me was George Carlin.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »

Yeah I was 18. I was barely an adult.

I know the feeling. My dad died the day after I turned 18
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
No, no, I definitely recognize you as a DTFer, but I guess we've never conversed directly. My name is Tim. Good to make a new friend!

Cool.  I'm Steve.   :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
 :metal