Author Topic: Who was your first celebrity death?  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
Who was your first celebrity death?
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:27 PM »
The news about Robin Williams... Which fuckn sucks... Who was the first celeb passing that hit home?  Mine was Steve Clark of Def Leppard.  It was before the Internet, and the news teased it as,   a member of Def Leppard found dead... It took 20 mins to find out who it was...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Who was your first celebrity death?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
I believe I was seven when Chris Farley died. That one hit hard.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
That's a tough one. Thurman Munson maybe..

Actually, I take that back. Probably Elvis.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
I don't know, maybe Richard Wright?

I actually do remember Lady Diana's death, even though I was only 6 at the time. I remember being touched by the wave of emotion that swept a good portion of the world, but it's not that I had really cared for her before her death.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
Yeah, Elvis was the first I really remember as being a big deal, but I never really cared about the guy anyway. For the most part celebrity deaths don't really hit me much. Cliff Burton, Phil Hartman, Richard Wright and Dio are really the only ones to do so.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
Kurt Cobain. I was 8 and loved Nirvana. I can't think of the first actor one that hit hard...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
Freddie Mercury for me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »
Robin Williams is probably the first celebrity death that I remember that hits me hard. There's been celebrity deaths over the past few years that sucked to hear, but Robin Williams is the first that I have a personal connection to. The guy was a huge figure in my childhood, and as I grew up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Elvis and second was John Lennon.  After that is was the space shuttle Challenger
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »
I remember Elvis (barely...I was 6 or 7).   I remember John Lennon quite well, and I knew who the Beatles were, so that did make me sad.

But the first one I remember being a big fan of...following them practically from clubs all the way up to arenas....was Cliff Burton.

...and what made me even more upset was that I had my ticket *IN HAND* to see him live for the very first time opening up for Ozzy in July of 1986.   Ozzy cancelled (he claimed laryngitis, but rumor was Metallica was blowing him off the stage...a lot people weren't terribly happy about his recent makeover, yours truly included)...Cliff died three months later.    It was somewhat of a consolation that I got to see them headline (rather than open for someone I was just going to boo at anyway...hey, I was 16) and it was maybe Jason's 10th show or so?     

But yeah.  Cliff's death hit me pretty hard.    Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) was another one that made me a bit despondent.   I got pretty torn up about Kurt too.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Would have to say John Lennon, coming as it did not long after I got into the Beatles and was spinning Sgt. Pepper and one of their greatest hits albums near constantly. That was just a "nooooooo" moment.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Princess Diana is the only one I vividly remember - I can't say it affected me any more than it would hearing of any other tragic death but I remember it because of where I was (the opening of Planet Hollywood in Melbourne with Sly Stallone) and the effect it had on the crowd when it was announced.

One I would've been devastated by if I'd been old enough to know is Randy Rhoads.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:51:32 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
Their deaths don't typically faze me. Andy Griffith's put my stomach in a knot because he seemed so genuine. Robin Williams's is first one that made me feel like I was punched in the gut and the balls at the same time.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Phil Hartman. Although, Chuck Schuldiner is probably the only one that ever really made me feel. For nonmetalheads, Chuck basically created death metal and, later on, progressive death metal and may have been the first death metal writer to approach stuff beyond the blood and gore subject which permanently pigeonholed the genre to outsiders.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Ronnie James Dio for me. Yup, I'm a young'in, but it's the first one that really hit me hard.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
I didn't really care about Elvis or Lennon.  My first that I really CARED about was Ronnie Van Zant, then John Bonham (who's loss absolutely devastated me)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
The one that affected me most was Steve Irwin.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
John Wayne.  Watched so many moves as a kid with my dad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »
Correction:
Actorwise, Robin Williams is my first huge loss, but talking about musicians, losing David Gold just a few days before Christmas back in 2011 crushed me. Listening to Woods of Ypres can get pretty tough at times these days  :(

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
John Candy for me.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Adam Yauch (MCA) was the first that really hit me. I was down for about a week after I found out. The Beastie Boys were such a big influence on me growing up. and Adam seemed like a really good person.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »
Never even knew any of his films, but the first majorly significant death I remember was Rock Hudson.  Given the fact it was from AIDS, it practically kicked off the 'epidemic'.

Robin Williams really shocked me tonight though.  Something about knowing his career for 30 years, maybe my own age (hitting mid-life), I dunno.  I'm just really stunned over this one.  Moreso than Candy, Farley, or any other big actor-comedians.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »
Their deaths don't typically faze me. Andy Griffith's put my stomach in a knot because he seemed so genuine. Robin Williams's is first one that made me feel like I was punched in the gut and the balls at the same time.

I'm the same way, although I will admit that James Gandolfini's death last year was like a gut punch, mostly because I was such a fan of his portrayal of Tony Soprano. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
At the risk of sounding callous, I don't remember ever being bothered by a celebrity death. Not even a little bit. Robin Williams was a great actor, and there are a couple of his movies that I will always enjoy. But as for his death, I dunno... I guess I'm neither shocked or significantly bothered. Kind of had the same reaction with MJ died. I think the first big one for me will be one of my favorite musicians dies, but being so young I haven't had to deal with that yet (and hopefully won't have to for a while).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:39:04 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 10:04:07 PM »
Hmmm, I would have to say Freddie Mercury. I was still a bit to young for Keith Moon to impact me at the moment, whereas I was already a huge queen fan, and Mercury's passing meant I would never see him live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
I wasn't yet a big Queen fan, so I don't know how much Freddie's death would have affected me had I been a big fan already at the time of his passing. 

The only death I can remember from a musician of a favorite band is Richard Wright, and while that was surprising, he was getting up there in age, so it wasn't really that surprising. 

Now, even though they are all getting up there now (all are now 60+), when any of the guys from Rush eventually die, I'll probably cry myself to sleep for a week. Okay, not really, but it will suck. :(

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
I can remember when I was 9 Roberto Clemente dying; and I remember when I was 10 Bruce Lee, and J.R.R. Tolkien died. But the biggest one was when Elvis died. We were living in Berlin at the time, and my mom and I walked over to the commissary, and people were running around like crazy to get a copy of the Stars and Stripes, and adults were actually wailing and crying. One lady fell to her knees on the sidewalk and just sobbed. I was 14, and had never seen anything like that in my life. My mom was so upset that we went home and she was crying too after calling my aunt back in the states. I went into my room, emotionally spent from the days events, put on my headphones and jammed out to Destroyer and Rock N' Roll Over the rest of the afternoon.  :metal :(
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 02:28:11 AM »
Probably Michael Jackson, everyone was like this:  :omg:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 04:29:58 AM »
Cliff's death...
I was only 10 when that happened and not into 'Tallica yet...  But from the time justice was out I was aware of who we lost. He and Harris influenced more than anyone. I spent hundreds trying to duplicate his bass sound...

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 04:32:16 AM »
First one I vividly remember was Princess Diana in 1997. It was the first morning of my first holiday.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 06:25:25 AM »
The first that truly effected me was John Bonham and then... what was it, two months later John Lennon? Dark days in the music scene for sure.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
The first one I remember was Elvis.  I didn't know who he was, really, but I remember everyone else freaking out.

Next was John Wayne.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.