Author Topic: If DT had a live stream of each concert, would you subscribe?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: If DT had a live stream of each concert, would you subscribe?
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
No thanks, I'm happy enough with official releases and Youtube videos.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
I visit this forum just about every day, so I'd probably watch an entire tour online.  Allow me to explain:

There is a virtual concert experience in development that brings a forum like this into the 3D space of a live concert.   Imagine if we gathered every day in a virtual representation of the venue where DT played, we could interact with each other and walk around this rendered space via an avatar -- the show would start and on the stage transforms  into a live feed of the band (not a digital representation, but the actual band captured on a 360 camera).  We can walk around the venue and experience the show from different angles - talk to each other like we do here. 

More importantly, its a community of fans just like this forum.   I've always wanted to watch DT at Wembley Arena and this technology creates that experience in a virtual setting, but the performance is streamed into the forum in real time as a video feed.

I think its a cool idea that enhances what Rumby proposed.  The technology exists and works now, but it needs some continued development.  At some point it would be great to bring this to DT management to see if they might embrace it because it seems ideal for this fan base.

Of course, a rotating setlist wouldn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:05:20 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
^^^ Interesting throught, I'll give you that.  ;) Although perhaps a little futuristic. Even if we're not technologically limited, but there'd need to be the existence of a viable market that's interested in that sort of thing.

My first thought, and the short answer to the topic question is; Yes.

Long answer would be; probably not at the moment. The unchanging setlist is a bit of dealbreaker regarding this concept. It'd be interesting and I'd probably occasionally still check out the shows but I don't think it's justifiable if you only end up watching 1 or 2 streams.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
No, every show is exactly the same, and scripted, right down to vocal harmonies being piped in. These days if I don't like the set of the first show, I know in advance I probably don't need a ticket.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
Yes, if the setlists weren't IDENTICAL for almost every performance. It wouldn't really be worth it, for 3 hours of the same music.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »
As others have said, in the past I probably would have enjoyed this sort of thing with the rotating setlists and so on. Not much point now though. I'll go to the London show that they play and I'll get the same show (pretty much) as everyone else!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
Funny, the bootleg traders love to record every show regardless of the setlist.  Anyone from that camp have an opinion on this topic?

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
Funny, the bootleg traders love to record every show regardless of the setlist.  Anyone from that camp have an opinion on this topic?
Yeah. generally, though, the bootlegs are recorded by different people. The traders generally don't have all the shows from a tour. Just they're all out there.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 05:15:59 AM »
No.

I prefer that they pick one show every tour and make a blu ray out of it with good production values. And maybe a different show with the 3D camera's, as I love that app.

Offline JPX

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
If it was the MP days, with rotating setlists, and differences for every show, maybe. It's a good idea.
For their current non-rotating setlists and identical shows, I don't think it would be worth the money to subscribe to see more than one. If I could pay to see just one show, then I still would.

This. But even then it would get boring pretty quick after you saw all the songs once.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
If it was the MP days, with rotating setlists, and differences for every show, maybe. It's a good idea.
For their current non-rotating setlists and identical shows, I don't think it would be worth the money to subscribe to see more than one. If I could pay to see just one show, then I still would.

This. But even then it would get boring pretty quick after you saw all the songs once.

Getting to see the concert even once is a nice thing when they don't have a very good track record of coming to your country though. :P

I prefer that they pick one show every tour and make a blu ray out of it with good production values. And maybe a different show with the 3D camera's, as I love that app.

This. Which is pretty much what they've been doing lately. I dunno if a live stream would be very representative of the show. And I dunno if it'd sound polished enough for the band's standards because a live stream will still sound very different to being physically at a live show. It really would need re-mixing (most of the time) to balance out the sound levels of all the instruments.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:43:50 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »

Getting to see the concert even once is a nice thing when they don't have a very good track record of coming to your country though. :P

That's what live releases are for, my friend! They're not a live stream, but if you're not actually there, I don't think that matters so much. And the live releases are much better quality for mixing and editing to give you the best experience of the show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Exactly! Quite looking forward to this Boston Opera House release for the very reason that they haven't come by our neck of the woods yet again..! :(

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
If I could own the copies yes, but I'm not paying for a subscription service to stream it.  Produce something of value and I'm all for it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »

Most of the traders I know who used to attend more than one concert per leg stopped taping all of them because of the static setlist. Thankfully not all of them, as our friend and hero FrostbiteZ can confirm. :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Most of the traders I know who used to attend more than one concert per leg stopped taping all of them because of the static setlist. Thankfully not all of them, as our friend and hero FrostbiteZ can confirm. :)
I've noticed that. Still looking for a boot of an evening at Sheffield City hall. That was the concert I attended for this leg. (Can't afford any more  :sad:) and I can't find one anywhere!