Author Topic: If DT had a live stream of each concert, would you subscribe?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
If DT had a live stream of each concert, would you subscribe?
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
These days any DT concert has multiple camera angles for the big screens, and the sound is minutely controlled.
If you could log onto a YouTube channel any day they're playing, would you subscribe for a fee? How much would you be willing to pay?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: If DT had a live stream of each concert, would you subscribe?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
That would be cool, but I probably wouldn't use it near as much as I say I would. So I probably wouldn't do it. I already have Score and the earlier releases so that keeps me happy.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
I have to admit, if MP was still around, or if they chose to constantly rotate set lists without him, and every time we'd get a new set of songs, I'd probably do it. But especially given the current setlist being completely unchanging, there's only so many times I could listen to the same group of songs in a row.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
Depends on the cost, but probably not.  I wouldn't have time to watch that many concerts.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »
Sure.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
I can catch one or two but paying for a monthly (or much) stream seems to me needles. I can watch concert videos afterwards anyway.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
It would depend on the cost, but I'd be all for it, of course. But again, when it comes to live shows and their recordings I am not the average fan.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
HOLY SHIT YES OMG

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
Obviously there are a few questions like cost etc.  But to the question - yes. 

Offline FsF

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »
Pay for just the first show and just stick it on repeat for the rest of the tour, bingo. Honestly, I wouldn't see the need to watch more than 1 show from the tour given their current habits (same setlist played to a click track every night), but if they rotated their songs again, then sure!

Offline lithium112

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
Pay for just the first show and just stick it on repeat for the rest of the tour, bingo. Honestly, I wouldn't see the need to watch more than 1 show from the tour given their current habits (same setlist played to a click track every night), but if they rotated their songs again, then sure!

Pretty much this. Wouldn't mind paying a flat rate per show but I don't think there'd be much value in subscribing for a length of time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
I have to admit, if MP was still around, or if they chose to constantly rotate set lists without him, and every time we'd get a new set of songs, I'd probably do it. But especially given the current setlist being completely unchanging, there's only so many times I could listen to the same group of songs in a row.
This. For bands (like DT now) who use more or less the same set every night, I'm happy just waiting for the tour DVD or a good bootleg to pop up. If they were rotating I'd be all over something like this though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
I dig me a good live stream every now and then, but for a subscription and the setlist doesn't change?  I don't know.  I was lucky enough to watch Alter Bridge's and Metallica's Rock AM Ring stream for free and watch them perform again two weeks later (AB at Graspop, Metallica at Glastonbury) and both bands pretty much had the same set each time.  Whist it was great to watch those sets, I might have enjoyed it again a 3rd time, but it could have been overkill. 

It would be great to watch DT's set and then watch that set again, two weeks later, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and, uhhh, if they don't the setlist, I can't really see myself putting a certain fee for that.  Sad but true.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »

(You can take this as a yes)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
If it was the MP days, with rotating setlists, and differences for every show, maybe. It's a good idea.
For their current non-rotating setlists and identical shows, I don't think it would be worth the money to subscribe to see more than one. If I could pay to see just one show, then I still would.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
No. 

But I'm a little unusual.  I generally don't watch many concert videos at all.  For me, the main attraction of concerts is being a part of the live atmosphere myself, and watching recorded performances just isn't the same.  If I'm going to be sitting at home listening to music, I usually prefer the polish of studio versions.

It's a cool idea, though.  I'm sure a lot of people would be all over it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 11:38:47 PM »

This.

I could pay like 20 bucks a year but not much more.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
I would be for the service even if my don't use it. Why? Well, assuming most or a good chunk of the revenue goes to the band, and enough people use it, that might end up, in the long run, reducing actual concert ticket costs by a bit. If not, then the band makes more money, and could potentially end up with even bigger and better enhancements to their shows, like bringing some guest musicians on for an entire tour, or making a very elaborate show to bring around the world ie. Roger Waters' The Wall shows?

As for if I'd use it, if the price isn't too much, I would do it. On a tour like this where they don't change the set, I might not watch it AS much as if it was rotating, but I still enjoy hearing different shows that have different crowds and different performances, even if the changes are minute with the static set and click track. It would likely guarantee better quality than fan bootlegs too, not that there isn't some great fan bootlegs out there, and I would still support bootlegging. If there was a particular live-streamed show that I thought was worth keeping like a very special performance where something unexpected happens, or someone does a particularly outstanding performance (especially if its JLB) then I would still get a bootleg to save the show, even if the live-streamed shows are recorded to watch later, like what some users on twitch do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:17 AM »
Why? Well, assuming most or a good chunk of the revenue goes to the band, and enough people use it, that might end up, in the long run, reducing actual concert ticket costs by a bit.

Let me guess, you're not an economics major :lol
That's not how those things work.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 03:57:20 AM »
No way I would do this on a subscription basis, since every show is exactly like every other show.

But if you could pay per show, then yes, I would.  For one show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »
Even though I think the current setlist is only inferior to that legendary 3 hour long concert in 2000 in NYC, I wouldn't pay a (probably) huge chunk of money to listen to the same songs each evening. A rotation like at the last tour would be great but we all should know that this tour was an exception (the anniversaries) and I think they'll go back to rotations at the next album's tour. If that thing starts again, I'd gladly pay for a weekly or monthly subscription.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 06:05:12 AM »

This.

I could pay like 20 bucks a year but not much more.

I'd pay more. Especially back in the 90s with the whole Nicky Lemons and Nightmare Cinema thing going on. It seemed like a really fun time to be a DT fan, because you never know what you'd get going to see them live.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline krands85

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »
If it was the MP days, with rotating setlists, and differences for every show, maybe. It's a good idea.
For their current non-rotating setlists and identical shows, I don't think it would be worth the money to subscribe to see more than one. If I could pay to see just one show, then I still would.
Exactly this.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
Why? Well, assuming most or a good chunk of the revenue goes to the band, and enough people use it, that might end up, in the long run, reducing actual concert ticket costs by a bit.

Let me guess, you're not an economics major :lol
That's not how those things work.

No, I'm not. :lol I was just thinking aloud. I think my later points still stand valid though, no?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
I just saw Umphrey's McGee live last night and they do this but like Blob stated, no rotating set list kills that idea now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
I just saw Umphrey's McGee live last night and they do this but like Blob stated, no rotating set list kills that idea now.

Had the stream happened in the occasion of the 2004 tour, would you have subscribed?
- Marco

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Oh yeah!  It only works if there is a rotating set list.  With the advent of the new stage show, less songs can be changed in and changed out.  If Rush is their new model live, they should do what Rush does.  They leave about 4 songs to change out that have nothing to do with the stage show so put the guys playing on the main screen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
I was really surprised that after the long break they changed nothing for the 2nd European leg. It used to be that you could safely go twice for a given tour (and I always did that, since they always came twice to Boston), but these days that's not really worth it.
And as you say, there's really no requirement for each song to have a synchronized video. Show the guys on the screen, or a pretty screensaver, and then have the spot be the rotating one.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »
I was really surprised that after the long break they changed nothing for the 2nd European leg. It used to be that you could safely go twice for a given tour (and I always did that, since they always came twice to Boston), but these days that's not really worth it.

For what worth is my opinion, it was worth it.
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
I think you still have that exuberant excitement about the band (which I used to have way back when!). These days they're just one of the bands I like, but not enough to watch exactly them same show again, down to the millisecond.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »
I dunno, this years setlist is maybe one of their best. Would it really be that bad to see it twice? Honestly I'd happily see this setlist twice instead of two rotating ones, neither of which would probably be nearly as good as this one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
I support this with a but. In order to keep the content interesting the band would have to switch the setlist up every once in a while, which doesn't seem to fit their current interests. But since this is a hypothetical, sure, I'm all for it!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »
Certainly NOT for this tour, and unless it was rotating setlists in the future, a big fat NO! :tdwn

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »
I can just barely find time to watch the odd concert DVD I buy once in a while, so I don't think I'd be interested in paying for something like this.