Author Topic: Unleash your ideas for a CONCEPT ALBUM!  (Read 9532 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Unleash your ideas for a CONCEPT ALBUM!
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
I wish they would release all of those FII tracks.

Maybe as part of the box set that they SHOULD have put out...?...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

They did with the Ytse Jam FII release.  Plus the fan club CD Cleaning Out the Closet.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

They did with the Ytse Jam FII release.  Plus the fan club CD Cleaning Out the Closet.

Yes.  I'm trying to be helpful because I was in the same situation about FII.  With the Ytse Jam release and CoTC we have everything we need to address this era in DT history.

Shaossystem - Have your heard these?  If so, how do they compare?  We've already has other people comment on all of this, and I'm curious what you think.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
Something this complex, detailed and involved would almost CERTAINLY have to be another DOUBLE album.

Not that I'm complaining.

Certainly; to continue the I&W/ADToE and Awake/DT12 comparisons, DT13 would be the double album that FII was meant to be.

There is no Awake/DT12 comparison, but for the fact there's an IAW/ADTOE comparison, which shouldn't exist either, as 95% of that was forced BS because some guy noticed the other 5% of coincidences. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2014, 02:14:43 AM »
Something this complex, detailed and involved would almost CERTAINLY have to be another DOUBLE album.

Not that I'm complaining.

Certainly; to continue the I&W/ADToE and Awake/DT12 comparisons, DT13 would be the double album that FII was meant to be.

There is no Awake/DT12 comparison, but for the fact there's an IAW/ADTOE comparison, which shouldn't exist either, as 95% of that was forced BS because some guy noticed the other 5% of coincidences. :lol

Yeah, I don't see any Awake/DT12 comparison, nor have I really heard much about it.   However, the I&W/ADTOE comparison has been valid since day one, and I think it makes ADTOE awesome from a compositional standpoint, but there are other many great reasons to listen to ADOTE for its other merits.  I see no reason why we can't enjoy both viewpoints.

To take this back on topic, yeah, it would be nice if DT13 were 13 tracks released as a double album using one of the concepts or themes mentioned in this thread.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2014, 02:28:23 AM »
I think if DT were to make an autobiographical album, it would be better if it was done in a more vague and personal way, about the key moments in their career, rather than just "Here's what happened, and here's what happened next."

Of course, DT has dabbled in this realm before.  Read the lyrics to 6:00, Innocence Faded, Raise The Knife and Where Are You Now -- all songs which reference (sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly) friction between the band members.  Of course, in a more general sense, WDADU has plenty of autobiographical moments detailing the struggles of a growing band.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:55 AM »
Of course, DT has dabbled in this realm before.  Read the lyrics to 6:00, Innocence Faded, Raise The Knife and Where Are You Now -- all songs which reference (sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly) friction between the band members.  Of course, in a more general sense, WDADU has plenty of autobiographical moments detailing the struggles of a growing band.

Exactly, and that's my point. Those songs have much stronger lyrics than, "Several years ago in a foreign town, far away from home, I met the count of tuscany."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »

Exactly, and that's my point. Those songs have much stronger lyrics than, "Several years ago in a foreign town, far away from home, I met the count of tuscany."

And as the comparative quality of those songs prove, lyrics do not make a song. :biggrin:

Offline Knguro

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
Niccolò Capponi: The Fables and the Tales part II

:millahhhh
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:46:17 AM by Knguro »
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
I just thought of another one: An album chronicling the origins and adventures of the N.A.D.S.!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

And as the comparative quality of those songs prove, lyrics do not make a song. :biggrin:

I agree with the Blobster.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »

First of all, are you saying that good lyrics and good music have to be mutually exclusive?
And second, Raise The Knife > The Count of Tuscany  ;)
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline tnphelps

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
Being kinda of a WWII History buff and a huge fan of the Band of Brothers mini series I believe a Concept album about WWII may be cool if done correctly..I started writing a Concept album called "Battered Bastards of Bastogne" based off a book about paratroopers in the Battle of the Bulge and a few of the BoB episodes but didn't get very far because of my inability to write good lyrics...Dream Theater could pull it off easily..

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
I just thought of another one: An album chronicling the origins and adventures of the N.A.D.S.!

Building on that idea, what would people think if every track on the next album was named after an already existing working title:

1) Blowfish
2) Beach House Reality
3) N.A.D.S.
4) The Battle of Jimmy Coco and Fishface
... and so forth.

Hard to take seriously, but could you imagine if they actually did that?!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
I wasn't really serious.

If they DID do something like that it would have to be taken for the novelty that it is.

On the other hand, an album with a comic book/superhero theme might not be the worst idea in the world.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
Even though there is already DT material dedicated to mental illness, I'd love to see a thematic/concept (whatever you want to call it) album about one specific condition. I would adore an album devoted to the journey from childhood through the onset of Schizophrenia, Psychosis. Maybe with songs/sections dedicated with misunderstandings and fears about disorders people don't understand. The topic of mental illness has always interested me, and it's one of the reasons SDOIT is my favorite album. In fact, if I had one wish related to DT, it would be that they make an album dedicated to the topic of one specific mental illness, or the stigma and misconceptions accosiated with it.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
A 40 minute song wasn't enough?  ;D

I think SDOIT covers this topic very well, and in fact Solitary Shell describes exactly what you suggested about the change from early development into adulthood.

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
SDOIT covers various mental diseases shortly, I would like to see a more fleshed out version. SS isn't really about Schizoprenia, and that's a disorder I find really facsinating. I would like to see sections/songs devoted to various aspects of the disorder, such as how they are viewed, and what they experience, and if they really captured the atmoshpere of each subject I think it would be in my top 2 or 3 albums.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »
Why does these epics always have to go to the dark side of ones life.  Why can't it be triumphant story?  Now that would be something different.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
I think some uplifting songs can be done well, but in general the darker songs are more thought provoking for me. I really can't come up with a triumphant story that would interest me as much as some darker themes. Maybe a person's battle through a disease that concludes with an epic account of how they survived or how they are living differently, but that sounds a bit generic. What sort of triumphant stories would you like to see?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »

First of all, are you saying that good lyrics and good music have to be mutually exclusive?
And second, Raise The Knife > The Count of Tuscany  ;)

No to both. :biggrin:
I'm not saying that good music and lyrics are mutually exclusive, I was just saying that the examples given prove that good lyrics don't necessarily make a good song, and bad lyrics don't necessarily make a bad song. It's all about the music for me. Lyrics can't redeem a poorly written song.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
Why does these epics always have to go to the dark side of ones life.  Why can't it be triumphant story?  Now that would be something different.

I think my N.A.D.S. idea is looking better and better!

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
I don't know if i would like another album like SFAM .
What i DO know is that i love reprises.
They could do a sub concept section of the album, like they did on Awake with The Mind Beside Itself.
Other thing that i love is diverse kind of song's duration. (9:45/2:40/7:07/10:38/4:27)
It would be like.

Cool and mysterious title like "Mind's Real Fears"
1.Song (9:33)
2.Song (4:07) (Posible Single)
3.Song (10:43)
4.Song* (2:11) (Song based on the DT12 Easter Egg)
Suite:
   -5.Subsong** (8:17)
   -6.Subsong (6:20) (Very crazy and strange instrumental kind of Raw Dog meets Erotomania)
   -7.Subsong (2:47)(featuring guest musician  like they did in "Lines in the sand")/
   -8.Subsong**Reprise (9:10)
9.Song*Reprise (11:29)

There would be a theme (Fear maybe) and all the song would talk about different experiences with fear and things related to that.
That way it would be space for fantasy and real experiences.
A well balanced, very proggy and kind of metal tilted album.

If they don't do it i will so this it's going to happen  ;D

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
First thing that came to my mind for some reason was a guy falling down to the water and finding himself still capable of breathing but falling to the bottom of the ocean as if somebody was dragging him down. He then reaches bottom and finds nothing but darkness except for a blue point hanging as a distant fading lightbulb in the sky. The album is him trying to reach it, believing it's the surface of the sea.

Why did I think of this? Is it because I'm listening to Oceansize?

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
For example: a lot of people are hoping/anticipating/wishing for a "Metropolis part 3," either as another album or a single track.

No, they really aren't.
This is the first time I've seen anybody want Metropolis: Part 3.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
The next Metallica is a concept album as they're struggling with the whole "concept" of an "album".

...And either the album, or one of the tracks on it will be called "F**k 'em! They Can Wait!"

Have you read any of the interviews?

Does anyone besides me want to punch Lars in the mouth?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:54 AM »
A concept album about Alice In Wonderland. Boom.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
I'd love to see a concept album about The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline JPX

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
I really loved the Solitary Shell lyrical concept, so I guess I would love to see an entire album based on the idea of autism (or just deep deep loneliness).
I find this feeling very touching, even heart breaking.

I know Mr. Petrucci can make me cry with this subject :)

I agree with this general direction. To me, I really enjoy 6DOIT as a song because it's realistic. When I can identify with the story, I'm way more invested. So yeah, if they could write a really believable script as the foundation for the concept then I would be behind it. I also subscribe to having a more uplifting tone...so how about this.

The story of a long distance relationship...
Two strangers meet on vacation...
initial songs are uplifting about discovering a soul mate...
darker elements are explored when the two people have to separate...
each person is then written about in their own context and as an influence for the music, you can tie it back to their culture (perhaps one person is from Spain and the other is from Japan, and they meet in Argentina for example - each song would tie in related musical themes...
There is a complex struggle about where each of them wants to take their lives...
The ending is euphoric and positive as the two reuinte and their future is happy...

I could dig something like that.