Author Topic: Unleash your ideas for a CONCEPT ALBUM!  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Knguro

Unleash your ideas for a CONCEPT ALBUM!
« on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
We all know that past days DT used to write stuff based or oriented on mental disorders, religion, philosophy or even esotericism, and now days is more about philantropy and stuff like that. Since it's a posibility that they might do another Full Length concept album and this is just for us to have fun and fill our minds with propably useless hopes about a concept album (haha). What ideas do you guys have or wish them to use for a concept album? GO GO GO!

...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Unleash your ideas for a CONCEPT ALBUM!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
To be honest, this wouldn't be my preference.

Having said that, I would prefer that they base the story on something historical, rather than some made-up fantasy/supernatural/horror tripe. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline liran95

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
I really loved the Solitary Shell lyrical concept, so I guess I would love to see an entire album based on the idea of autism (or just deep deep loneliness).
I find this feeling very touching, even heart breaking.

I know Mr. Petrucci can make me cry with this subject :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
If they ever did another concept album, I'd like it to be a broader, more universal theme. Lyrically, I'm really not a fan of Six Degrees. The lyrics aren't bad but to me they sound like something written by someone who did a lot of research on various mental illnesses without having experience with those things; which is what it was. Scenes is a decent story but I have a hard time connecting to any of the lyrics on it.

So if they were to do something like this again, I'd like something more based on personal experiences. With  a theme like on Illumination Theory, which can speak to virtually anyone who listens to it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
It seems almost impossible to come up with an idea along these lines without being REALLY redundant. For example: a lot of people are hoping/anticipating/wishing for a "Metropolis part 3," either as another album or a single track.

One idea that I had was an album that has more of a common "theme" or "thread" along the lines of Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, or "Six Degrees" Maybe a collection of songs about different religions, or wars or how various countries were founded. Or different inventions, such as those of Benjamin Franklin. If anyone could make those often boring subjects interesting, or even exciting...

I know a lot of people don't like the whole Sci-fi/horror/dark fantasy thing, but for those of us who do: A collection of songs based on short stories by writers such as H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, Clive Barker or Dean Koontz. Or each song could be based on a different story by a different writer, with something linking them together.

Speaking of Mr. King-and I know this has been done before in songs by bands such as The Alarm and Anthrax, but-I wouldn't mind an entire album based on "The Stand."

Or another original story about the conflict between good and evil, along the lines of "In the Presence of Enemies."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:31:26 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »
For example: a lot of people are hoping/anticipating/wishing for a "Metropolis part 3," either as another album or a single track.

No, they really aren't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
To me, if they go back to that well again, it's almost an admission of defeat.  I just don't see that being a good idea, and I would be shocked if they did it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
THAT'S all you got from everything I said?

REALLY?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Knguro

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
To me, if they go back to that well again, it's almost an admission of defeat.  I just don't see that being a good idea, and I would be shocked if they did it.

I really don't see it as such a bad thing, I think they do have a good credit to do that again, and for me a safe zone would be something historical as you suggested.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »

REALLY?
I wasn't addressing you.  I was addressing bosk1, who posted right above me.  In particular, I was only addressing "Metropolis 3" which is all he was addressing.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
Would love to see DT getting involved with history and make a concept album about that. And I really don't wish to see more mental disorder/Metropolis-themed/religious conceptual albums. I think they've used those themes fairly much.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
I'd prefer DT stay away from concept albums. I've always viewed the concept as being the weakest part by far of SFAM.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
I'd prefer DT stay away from concept albums. I've always viewed the concept as being the weakest part by far of SFAM.

Petrucci recently said that they'll do another one though. And I'm very excited about it.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
Speaking of Mr. King-and I know this has been done before by bands such as The Alarm and Anthrax, but-I wouldn't mind an entire album based on "The Stand."

If a SK work was to be adapted, "It" or "The Shining" would be the best choices. I never really cared for "The Stand". An album with an original story would be best; something like the Parallax EP/album. The fantasy/horror lyrics on SC are some of my favorites, and I am sure that DT could make such a story work both musically and lyrically.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »

Petrucci recently said that they'll do another one though. And I'm very excited about it.
Could you link to that? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »

I really don't see it as such a bad thing, I think they do have a good credit to do that again, and for me a safe zone would be something historical as you suggested.

I would't hate it if they DID do that, but I would rather see them move on to something else. Still, it might  be interesting to see what they would come up with. I THINK Nicholas gets killed (murdered) at the end of "Scenes," so he/she would probably have to be reincarnated again. Maybe this time the story could have a happy ending, not just the same crap happening over and over again.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
The idea of wars across human history that someone suggested is really doing its place in my head right now!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

REALLY?
I wasn't addressing you.  I was addressing bosk1, who posted right above me.  In particular, I was only addressing "Metropolis 3" which is all he was addressing.

Sorry, I was talking to HIM as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

REALLY?

Sorry, I was talking to HIM as well.
OK.  If you are going to address someone who wasn't directly above you, it might be better to address them by name or to quote what they said.

But even so, why the reaction to his post?

Offline Knguro

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »

yeah i recall the same thing, but not remember where, all i remember is that it was not to long ago.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »

From here: https://rockbook.hu/hirek/john-petrucci-interview-label-didnt-have-influence-falling-infinity-album

"Rockbook: - Are you planning any more concept albums, like ’Scenes From A Memory’?

John Petrucci: - I’m sure that’s something we’ll do at some point. Yeah."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
To be fair, that doesn't sound like a commitment or a definite plan.  It sounds like a way to gracefully move to the next question.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Album 13 = 8 + 5.

Octavarium Plus Scenes From A Memory joint sequel / concept mash up bonkers crazy double album. You buy it !

" Triskaidekaphobia " - The Fear of 13.

Will be a 13 track album split up into five pairs of songs with a 3 track Suite at the end.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
To be fair, that doesn't sound like a commitment or a definite plan.  It sounds like a way to gracefully move to the next question.

Probably, but the fact is that he said yes, and that he is certain about it. :)

Offline Knguro

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »
Album 13 = 8 + 5.

Octavarium Plus Scenes From A Memory joint sequel / concept mash up bonkers crazy double album. You buy it !

Will be a 13 track album split up into five pairs of songs with a 3 track Suite at the end.

Holy shit!

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
Album 13 = 8 + 5.

Oh man the craziest thing I've heard this week :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
NO YOU"RE STUPID!!!!!!

:metal

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
Album 13 = 8 + 5.

Since it IS number 13, how about THIS for a concept: A collection of songs about superstitions and phobias.

This idea is SO much fun to play with!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:04:32 PM by chaossystem »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
DT's career was on the brink of extinction when they decided to go all out, to write and produce SFAM themselves.  It was a huge risk that ended being worth it.  I don't think they would put themselves through that again when SFAM is just fine by itself and doesn't need a follow up.  The risk would be even greater at this point.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Knguro

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
DT's career was on the brink of extinction when they decided to go all out, to write and produce SFAM themselves.  It was a huge risk that ended being worth it.  I don't think they would put themselves through that again when SFAM is just fine by itself and doesn't need a follow up.  The risk would be even greater at this point.

Agree, but what about SDoIT or Octavarium?

or do you mean Metropolis part 3?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
SDOIT and 8VM are not really concept albums.  They are more of a string of ideas within a main theme.  I was more or less eluding to the Metro 3 idea but I think the concept format in which they did SFAM would most likely not happen again.  Then again, who knows?  I could be wrong.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
As much as I like fantasy elements, I will admit John Petrucci isn't that great at writing them. I mean, I love The Killing Hand, Forsaken, and every other fantasy lyric he wrote, in terms of having a cool song with good lyrics, but from a storytelling perspective, they leave a lot to be desired. I don't know if I'd want to have a concept album based on history though. But maybe if it was a more straight forward piece of fiction, it'd be better. Like, if they took the murder mystery idea of SFAM and just ran with something like that. (Except that's been done already.) But even something along the lines of Bridges in the Sky, something about one man's spiritual quest, I think would be really cool.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »
Album 13 = 8 + 5.

Since it IS number 13, how about THIS for a concept: A collection of songs about superstitions and phobias.

(This idea is SO much fun to play with!)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
I can't imagine songs about superstitions being all that interesting.

Unless it's Fear of the Dark.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
I can't imagine songs about superstitions being all that interesting.

Unless it's Fear of the Dark.

"Don't let the black cat cross the crooked step!"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"