Author Topic: James LaBrie Interview with Lady Obscure, July 31, 2014 - Part 2 up, Page 3!!!!  (Read 13842 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: James LaBrie Interview with Lady Obscure, July 31, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
Zooks. Who let them in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Some hot blonde.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
She's not blonde, you big dummy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
:ontome:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
But I'll take two.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »

Hahahahahaha  :lol

D'awwww 

rumborak... wait for Pt 2....

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
I want people asking James that question until his answer is "Awake" (shut up everyone). And his answer has changed in the previous couple of times he's been asked.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
I was surprised when he brought up Octavarium. Didn't know he liked the album so much.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:14 AM »
I will echo the comments about this being a great interview with great legs, and I can't wait to see Part 2!

FTFY.

Nem, wear a robe dammit.  I can't understand James.

You bet! I even wonder how JLB can understand the questions himself... :justjen  ;D A really nice interview by a beautiful woman who is really a fan of DT : what else can you ask for?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Thanks  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 04:14:26 AM »
trolling war against me....

???  I have no idea what you are talking about.
This WTF

I want names now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 05:11:02 AM »
Wow! Thank you Hef. I wasn't expecting any kind of support to be honest....
While I do appreciate this, I don't think bringing up the past would help anyone. However, your kind support is not only appreciated but also encourages me to return to the fold, actually. So, thank you!

By the way... Blabbermouth picked it up!!!  :laugh:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
 :omg: :omg:   :tup :tup  Nice exposure!

Watching/listening right now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
Nice of the 'waiter' to interrupt and get in the way!   ::)

First, it's quite clear you're over the moon.  I'm sure your heart was beating out of your chest.  There wasn't a lot here that we here DTF didn't already know - but obviously we're not the audience for your interview, so that doesn't matter.  You clearly were a little nervous to start ... how much time did you have with him before starting to record (ie, to 'break-the-ice')?  Though, you settled in and looked very comfortable by the 2nd/3rd question.  I liked the question about how it was engineered/mixed, that was insightful.

Can't wait for part 2 certainly. 

James' mention of 8vm gives me hope that they might dig that (song) out again sometime.

Hope there's some non-DT questions on the horizon - solo, and perhaps his experience with a couple of your other musical idols, Henning and Arjen.

So happy for you to reach this goal of yours.  :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »
Nice of the 'waiter' to interrupt and get in the way!   ::)

I was kind of hoping JLB would say something to the guy, lol.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »
I was hoping he'd say thank you. He didn't, the prick.

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
I was hoping he'd say thank you. He didn't, the prick.

Yeah, Thank you would've been appropriate enough. But I guess he just didn't want to divert his attention away from the interview.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
The waiter.. well, believe it or not, the real life doesn't stop when you hold an interview with a world class star   :lol :P

He might not have said thanks to the waiter but he is easily one of the nicest and humblest musicians I've ever come across....

As for my questions, I also knew the answers to most of them as I couldn't arrange the interview early on... there have been millions of others... But there is one question in part 2 that no one asked before nor would anyone ever ask  :lol
Just wait for it.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:07 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »
Dary!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »
 :lol

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 07:21:02 AM »
It's been a damn good interview and I can't wait for the second part already! Great job!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:56 AM »
Thanks mister! :)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
Gotta say the interview was rather boring. Asking about why they chose self titled (album came out a year ago) and why those chose Mangini (over three years ago). I've heard these questions so much and JLB gave such cookie-cutter answers. Why don't interviewers get unique and dig deep? Oh well. Hopefully part 2 has something unique.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Gotta say the interview was rather boring. Asking about why they chose self titled (album came out a year ago) and why those chose Mangini (over three years ago). I've heard these questions so much and JLB gave such cookie-cutter answers. Why don't interviewers get unique and dig deep? Oh well. Hopefully part 2 has something unique.
Well I imagine there's lots of reasons. For one, the person in question might not know how common a question it is - maybe they'd rather go for a safe question than get a strange look for asking something 'weird'.

I would like to hear more 'unique' questions yeah, but hey you never know what they might say even to something that's been asked a bunch of times before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »

Keep in mind DTF is not the only audience for her webzine. Not EVERYONE is as familiar with these questions/answers as we might be.

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »
Keep in mind DTF is not the only audience for her webzine. Not EVERYONE is as familiar with these questions/answers as we might be.

Although they really should.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »

Although they really should.
You know that bands bring new fans in all the time right?  Maybe on of us gets out kids into DT and they check out Nem's show.  You folks need to less narrow minded.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
You know that bands bring new fans in all the time right?  Maybe on of us gets out kids into DT and they check out Nem's show.  You folks need to less narrow minded.

Yeah, but I don't understand the point of having 30 different sources of the same information. If someone is interested in a band, there can be tons of older interviews they could read or listen to that could tell them the same thing, so why rehash it?

Now, to be be fair, this particular interview, I think James came out with some fairly elaborate answers that maybe gave us more than what we've gotten before, so personally, I actually did find it interesting.
But there really are a lot of interviews out there that just rehash the same boring questions that have been answered plenty of times, and I think that's kind of pointless.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
Well it that's the case why haven't those questions been asked?

It's because most bands, like actors and athletes won't give a interviewer a second chance for an interview if they piss them off.  Only the well established get to ask the real tough questions.

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
Well it that's the case why haven't those questions been asked?

It's because most bands, like actors and athletes won't give a interviewer a second chance for an interview if they piss them off.  Only the well established get to ask the real tough questions.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking why a lot of these journalists don't ask new questions? Frankly, I think it's because they're lazy. They look at the latest news about the band, "New Drummer" "Grammy Nomination" "Self Title Album" and they ask the simple, generic questions relating to those subjects, instead of bothering to do their research and find out how many other people asked them before. And frankly, I think that's just lazy journalism on their part.

I understand what you're saying about tough questions, but the questions don't have to be tough, necessarily. I'm not expecting them to ask, "So, there are fans that are saying that your albums sound awful and the production is horrible. What do you think about that?"
But it is possible to ask more creative and interesting questions. Heck, personally, if I was one of these musicians, I'd get pissed off BECAUSE of these lazy questions and because I'd have to answer them a million times instead of talking about something more interesting and letting other people know something new.

The thing that I find interesting about the current interview is that the questions WERE more elaborate. It wasn't just, "So, why did you pick Mangini?" The question was much more elaborate than that, and so was the answer, and I think the reason why it worked better was because she pretty much admitted right off the bat that JLB was her favorite vocalist, so he already knew that she had to know a thing or two about the band and he could elaborate on his answers a bit. For example, I personally didn't know that they had a plan B if NONE of the 7 chosen drummers had worked out.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
Yes the questions are pretty much done into the ground. I have hard James answer them all before, though the question about lyrics was interesting, should have followed it up with asking James whether he'd like to write more and why / why not.

Hoping part 2 is a bit more worth the time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
For example, I personally didn't know that they had a plan B if NONE of the 7 chosen drummers had worked out.
Did they have an actual plan B though? I took that answer to mean that if the 7 chosen drummers didn't work out, they'd simply audition more drummers until they found one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
Did they have an actual plan B though? I took that answer to mean that if the 7 chosen drummers didn't work out, they'd simply audition more drummers until they found one.

Yeah, but I guess I never even considered that possibility. I always just assumed that they'd definitely pick one of the 7, whoever best suited them.