Author Topic: James LaBrie Interview with Lady Obscure, July 31, 2014 - Part 2 up, Page 3!!!!  (Read 13844 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
bosk1, cereal is black and white.  There is no gray cereal. 

Only Zod's cereal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I just...I feel like everything I know is WRONG now...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
We can fix this.  My uncle, he has an awesome set of tools.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
???  I thought we were talking about cereal.

You just don't get it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Skeever

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. BG doesn't do anything for me because of the music more than anything else. I don't care for the lyrics either, but if I had any emotional connection to the music, I wouldn't care how bad the lyrics are.

Also, if any band does an amazing job at basing songs on movies and literature (and doing so with great emotion), it's Iron Maiden.

I'm just alluding back to the whole argument that songs like Forsaken and TDEN are "incapable of evoking emotion" because of their fictional lyrics, and how it makes the audience less likely to connect with them.
i never said they were "incapable", I just said it's possible to "get" them and still not feel the emotion. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Okay, what about Iron Maiden doing songs based on film and literature? Are you gonna tell me that Brave New World has no emotion, just because it's based on a book?
Nah, I'm just gonna tell you that I don't like Iron Maiden either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome job on the second part of the interview Nem!!

As far as emotions, I guess certain songs hit me more emotionally.  An awesome melody, or great lyrics are usually the trigger.  Mentioning Iron Maiden, that's one of the biggest reasons I love them, is the lyric subject matter.  I can listen to Aces High and visualize those ME-109's coming out of the sun!  Their lyrics tell such great stories, which make a connection with me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
ITT we discover that different people react to different songs in different ways.

:omg:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Well, that's fine. That comes down to your personal tastes. But whatever it is you DO like about DT, there's another side to DT. Clearly there's some stuff you don't like, but that stuff is just as much a part of the band as what you do like, and you can't say that part of DT isn't good just because it doesn't appeal to your particular tastes.

As far as emotions, I guess certain songs hit me more emotionally.  An awesome melody, or great lyrics are usually the trigger.  Mentioning Iron Maiden, that's one of the biggest reasons I love them, is the lyric subject matter.  I can listen to Aces High and visualize those ME-109's coming out of the sun!  Their lyrics tell such great stories, which make a connection with me. 

Exactly! And Brave New World, having read the book, hit me so much harder when I listened to it. I mean, referring to the story within the book, it's really kind of a tragic story and thereby a tragic song.
As for DT, I can listen to Forsaken, and visualize the story that's going on, and frankly, the idea of this hot vampire girl visiting in the night is kind of romantic and enticing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

:lol

10/10  for reference.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awesome job on the second part of the interview Nem!!

Thanks CS :laugh:

:lol

10/10  for reference.

What am I missing?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
bosk1 was playing with you so I referenced a movie line to say we can fix this thread as a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

bosk1 was playing with you so I referenced a movie line to say we can fix this thread as a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

Right. I just didn't know where it was from. Thanks!  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That was our "Teen Movie" to love.  You notice old farts like RJ jumped on it right away. :lol

I'm all for classic movies. This just happens to be one that eluded me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Rent Fast Times At Ridgemont High.  You will not be disappointing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Rent Fast Times At Ridgemont High.  You will not be disappointing.

Perhaps not, but he may be disappointed.  In all actuality, although it is an infinitely quotable movie, it isn't really a very good movie.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You hear that?!   Thats my  sneaker hitting bosk1 skull.

Well, I heard enough about it, so I'll definitely watch it, if not to enjoy it, then as a piece of film history.

And if I don't like it, well, then I guess that means I just don't get it.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Well, I heard enough about it, so I'll definitely watch it, if not to enjoy it, then as a piece of film history.

And if I don't like it, well, then I guess that means I just don't get it.

To continue the derailing . . . this movie was a sort of coming of age movie for people who grew up through the 80's.  If you don't "get it" that's alright because it was classic for it's time. 

A funny note to this . . . . my wife and I loved this movie when it came out and a few years ago we suggested that it would be fun to watch with our daughter and her new boyfriend who were in their early teens.  Actually, my wife thought it would be fun to watch, she didn't quite remember ALL the scenes in the movie.  There were definitely some very awkward parts when watching with my kid . . . if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.  When it was over my wife and I had a good laugh but my daughter was mortified.  :lol  So, word of warning . . . .

To continue the derailing . . . this movie was a sort of coming of age movie for people who grew up through the 80's.  If you don't "get it" that's alright because it was classic for it's time. 

A funny note to this . . . . my wife and I loved this movie when it came out and a few years ago we suggested that it would be fun to watch with our daughter and her new boyfriend who were in their early teens.  Actually, my wife thought it would be fun to watch, she didn't quite remember ALL the scenes in the movie.  There were definitely some very awkward parts when watching with my kid . . . if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.  When it was over my wife and I had a good laugh but my daughter was mortified.  :lol  So, word of warning . . . .

Well, I grew up on John Hughes, so maybe I will get it.

Offline XB0BX

Am I crazy or is this as skinny as JLB has ever been?

I don't know about EVER, but he definitely looks in the best shape he's been in a while. I guess now that Portnoy's not in the group, he doesn't have to do any stress eating.  :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

I don't know about EVER, but he definitely looks in the best shape he's been in a while. I guess now that Portnoy's not in the group, he doesn't have to do any stress eating.  :lol

:lol I can totally imagine that :

JLB : "Oh, no! Mike is coming. Let's shovel down some burritos!"

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

B.Lee

I see what you did there. The world is your burrito.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

B.Lee

I see what you did there. The world is your burrito.

You bet!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Well, that's fine. That comes down to your personal tastes. But whatever it is you DO like about DT, there's another side to DT. Clearly there's some stuff you don't like, but that stuff is just as much a part of the band as what you do like, and you can't say that part of DT isn't good just because it doesn't appeal to your particular tastes.
??? I've never said otherwise.

??? I've never said otherwise.

Well, you may have not, but usually my arguments are directed at a chunk of a general population, not any one given person.