Author Topic: James LaBrie Interview with Lady Obscure, July 31, 2014 - Part 2 up, Page 3!!!!  (Read 13856 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Really awesome!  Your joy was very much evident and that made the interview that much better.  Good job!  Looking forward to next time  :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :heart :blush :blush :blush :blush
Thank you guys!!!

:hearts:

The forklift hahahaha  :lol :lol :lol
and the story he tells right after  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online Tomislav95

Great interview :tup
Imagine him getting to the stage on forklift :rollin
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hahaha  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh lord, he mentioned that it could have been in Sweden. I was at that show - I'd have died if he went on stage on a forklift :lol

Great interview, Nem :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks dear  :heart

I wish someone had videotaped that convo .... "You no.. You no!"  hahahah  :lol
It's amazing that James actually asked to drive it .. And the way he delivered that memory.... *Sigh*  :hearts:

Offline Skeever

I have to say, I find James' "they just don't get it" thing a bit off putting. Obviously I don't think DT are too unemotional, but he is sounding a bit cocky about it.

The questions in this part were better though for sure. Good job!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mladen

The forklift  :lol

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thought you guys would appreciate  :lol

Offline Mladen

Of course, I'm glad James and the other DT guys get our wacky sense of humor and play along.  ;D

On a serious note, the bit with Eren was a great spontaneous conversation. I'm happy for the guy, it's so cool to see someone whose dream of playing with a favorite band came true.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Seriously man! His story sends shivers down my spine.... what an achievement!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Great interview :tup
Imagine him getting to the stage on forklift :rollin
He should do that someday - maybe on the next tour? :lol

It was interesting to hear James' thoughts on touring in the summer and great to see Eren in the video, too. :)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys have made me the happiest girl in the universe !!!!

well first James, then you  :laugh:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
You guys have made me the happiest girl in the universe !!!!

well first James, then you  :laugh:

Glad to have you back!  :hug:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
I have to say, I find James' "they just don't get it" thing a bit off putting. Obviously I don't think DT are too unemotional, but he is sounding a bit cocky about it.

I think that's a bit of his Canadian dry exaggeration. :P It's more like "they don't get it because it's not for them". If anyone listens to music they don't connect with, they might not find emotion in it at all.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Great job!   :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
No I think he's right about that (although maybe he is half-joking of course).

Anyone who says Dream Theater is too technical to be emotional is actually wrong and is missing something. That's an objective thing- as a musician, you develop the coordination skills in your fingers for the purpose of portraying emotion through them. Think about what the word 'instrument' literally means.. If it's a musical instrument, the greater control and ability you have over it, the more music (the artform; the expression of emotion) you are able to put across with it.

The more skill you have in the way of operating a lawn-mower, the more grass you can cut, and the more precisely you could cut it. The more technical understanding and skill you have of operating a blender, the more smoothies you could make, and the more precisely you could make them. A lawn-mower is a lawn-mowing instrument and a blender is the instrument of the smoothie. Why the hell does the understanding of a musical instrument not allow you to create more music more precisely then?

Like Portnoy said, Dream Theater's biggest criticism has always been how well they play their instruments. THAT is an invalid criticism usually made by either pretentious or musically/artistically lazy people. Other criticisms could be valid. That one- not.

Edit: to be clear, the only position I'm calling invalid here is the one saying there is no emotion because of the technicality. Saying you don't connect to the emotion for some other reason could be valid.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
No I think he's right about that (although maybe he is half-joking of course).

Anyone who says Dream Theater is too technical to be emotional is actually wrong and is missing something. That's an objective thing- as a musician, you develop the coordination skills in your fingers for the purpose of portraying emotion through them. Think about what the word 'instrument' literally means.. If it's a musical instrument, the greater control and ability you have over it, the more music (the artform; the expression of emotion) you are able to put across with it.

The more skill you have in the way of operating a lawn-mower, the more grass you can cut, and the more precisely you could cut it. The more technical understanding and skill you have of operating a blender, the more smoothies you could make, and the more precisely you could make them. A lawn-mower is a lawn-mowing instrument and a blender is the instrument of the smoothie. Why the hell does the understanding of a musical instrument not allow you to create more music more precisely then?

Like Portnoy said, Dream Theater's biggest criticism has always been how well they play their instruments. THAT is an invalid criticism usually made by either pretentious or musically/artistically lazy people. Other criticisms could be valid. That one- not.

Edit: to be clear, the only position I'm calling invalid here is the one saying there is no emotion because of the technicality. Saying you don't connect to the emotion for some other reason could be valid.

To be fair, most of it is probably sheer ignorance. It's easy to understand how someone who listened to Panic Attack or The Dance of Eternity might think that DT is unemotional. But I'll bet they've never heard Take Away My Pain, To Live Forever or Beneath The Surface.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

I think that's a bit of his Canadian dry exaggeration. :P It's more like "they don't get it because it's not for them". If anyone listens to music they don't connect with, they might not find emotion in it at all.

Well so he should be cocky about it because it's something he's a part of and strongly believes in. If others aren't feelin' it well that's on them isn't it? They don't have to like it, but when James and the guys put their all in to the writing and then some brash kid comes and calls it contrived, pretentious or emotionless (or something to that effect) because they don't connect with it, how silly is that? Besides, I think what you might interpret as 'cocky' is just James asserting his complete disagreement with the whole idea which sounds fair enough to me. :P

He doesn't have to justify it! He's James La-Freakin-Bree! He can be cocky if he wants to be!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The official DT Facebook page linked to the video (part 2) an hour ago :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Skeever

Well so he should be cocky about it because it's something he's a part of and strongly believes in. If others aren't feelin' it well that's on them isn't it? They don't have to like it, but when James and the guys put their all in to the writing and then some brash kid comes and calls it contrived, pretentious or emotionless (or something to that effect) because they don't connect with it, how silly is that? Besides, I think what you might interpret as 'cocky' is just James asserting his complete disagreement with the whole idea which sounds fair enough to me. :P
welcome to the world of music criticism. What, are they beyond rebuke because you personally love them?

DT are on my top 10 all time favoritess list, but there are certainly times when I have questioned whether they are being too showy, or else too lacking in emotion. The solo in Along for the Ride is an example from recent times. The quite ridiculous lyrics in Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are another example. Both albums have these really intense arrangements and instrumental passages, but for what? Am I supposed to feel some kind of emotion while listening to Nightmare to Remember or The Count of Tuscany? Am I supposed to feel something about the Dark master?

Sorry, but I don't, and it has nothing to do with me "not getting it". There are a few examples like that in the DT catalog, where lyrics and emotion consciously took a back seat to chops. People can "get" that and still not like it.

DT are on my top 10 all time favoritess list, but there are certainly times when I have questioned whether they are being too showy, or else too lacking in emotion. The solo in Along for the Ride is an example from recent times. The quite ridiculous lyrics in Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are another example. Both albums have these really intense arrangements and instrumental passages, but for what? Am I supposed to feel some kind of emotion while listening to Nightmare to Remember or The Count of Tuscany? Am I supposed to feel something about the Dark master?

Sorry, but I don't, and it has nothing to do with me "not getting it". There are a few examples like that in the DT catalog, where lyrics and emotion consciously took a back seat to chops. People can "get" that and still not like it.

Well, my question is, do you need to feel something in EVERY song? Yes, DT has certain songs where they prioritize technicality, or fun, for emotion, but what's wrong with that? There are also songs that allow the emotion and soulfulness to come across really well. They do both, which is perfect, if you ask me. Frankly, I can't think of a single Metal band that goes out of their way to deliver that soulful and emotional approach on EVERY song. Heck, for a lot of them, you'd be lucky to get an emotional songs or moments at all. DT has way too much soulful material for people who know their music to say they're an unemotional band.

It's not like you can say, "DT doesn't know how to be emotional because SOME of their songs are not emotional."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The official DT Facebook page linked to the video (part 2) an hour ago :)

YES!!!!!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Madman Shepherd

Well, my question is, do you need to feel something in EVERY song?

This. 

I'll take it one step further.  Should people who do feel something about songs about a "Dark Master" have their feelings minimized?

If I can put myself in a fictionalized song and enjoy it and feel the fear and desire in the characters voice, find some time of feeling in the music that is being accused of too technical, should I be accused of liking something where lyrics and feeling took a backseat to chops?

Or...ya know, can we just like what we like and dislike what we dislike?

Offline Rodni Demental

welcome to the world of music criticism. What, are they beyond rebuke because you personally love them?

Not beyond rebuke, but I'm saying JLB shouldn't really give a shit if he knows he puts everything into it, so it's laughable to him when people think he's not trying to put any effort or emotion in. He wasn't giving any examples, and there are songs where the intention behind it's composition will differ from song to song. If we don't connect with a song, we shouldn't assume there's nothing there unless you know everything about the composers intentions and creative circumstances.

I guess I have to completely disagree. Because AFTR solo stood out to me from the beginning, that crazy synth sound gives me the shivers every time. And TCOT and ANTR have awesome similar moments. I can concede your feelings about the Dark Master being a bit silly as a point of view, but just cause I don't get as much out of that doesn't mean I'd dismiss anyone who connects to anything in the songs. So really, it has everything to do with you "not getting it". It seems like you're implying that your point of view is complete when you're not allowing the possibility that someone else might connect with a passage that you do not. Or that the composer had something in mind that you're missing. Both perspectives are equally valid so long as those points of view are willing to validate the other's perspective...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:26:47 PM by Rodni Demental »

Not beyond rebuke, but I'm saying JLB shouldn't really give a shit if he knows he puts everything into it, so it's laughable to him when people think he's not trying to put any effort or emotion in. He wasn't giving any examples, and there are songs where the intention behind it's composition will differ from song to song. If we don't connect with a song, we shouldn't assume there's nothing there unless you know everything about the composers intentions and creative circumstances.

Oh come on. What about ANTR? I mean, during the "Day after day, night after night," part, I can't hear any emotion out of JLB.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Oh come on. What about ANTR? I mean, during the "Day after day, night after night," part, I can't hear any emotion out of JLB.

You just don't get it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a fun interview!

The smiles on both yours and James' faces for the still is quite infectious and genuine. Warms my little heart.  :heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MarkFitDT

seriously?! I can think of lots of solos you could maybe say lack emotion and are just showy but Along for the Ride solo is neither of those things. Thats ridiculous, im sorry.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Ehhhhh. Along For the Ride is a cool solo but it's pretty showy and honestly I wouldn't call it a particularly emotional solo. Not even close.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

You just don't get it.

+1

Offline MarkFitDT

Ehhhhh. Along For the Ride is a cool solo but it's pretty showy and honestly I wouldn't call it a particularly emotional solo. Not even close.
Will just have to agree to disagree. Its not a thousand notes a second solo and has plenty of melody/emotion for me.