Author Topic: It Grows on You!  (Read 3119 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
It Grows on You!
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
I would like to thank kevshmev for inspiring me to think of this topic, but I'm going to ask the exact opposite question from the one that he asked: Are there any of the band's songs or albums that you didn't like-or even hated-at first, but changed your mind about later? Maybe you just didn't hear it right at first. Maybe something happened in your life that made you change your mind. Maybe it didn't sound right until you heard it live. A few good examples for me would be "Innocence Faded" Didn't like it at first, but REALLY changed my mind when I heard the "Score" version. "Scenes from a Memory" didn't really register with me until I saw the (very first) live performance of it. I didn't care much for "The Count of Tuscany" until I heard it a few times. In the case of both "Outcry" and "Behind the Veil" it took me a while to figure out what they meant-to me, at least.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: It Grows on You!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
I find for me, it's been the case with a lot of their mini-epics. None of these songs I really liked at the beginning, but now they're easily some of my favorites:

Home, Scarred, Voices, Blind Faith, Lines In The Sand, Under A Glass Moon, Trial of Tears
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Knguro

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
Definitely Scarred. I thought it was just OK at first, but nothing special. Now, it's a top 10 DT song for me.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
There are some songs that took longer to click with me, most notably Scarred. I remember a time when I couldn't reach the end of it, perhaps out of "boredom", or more likely confusion over its structure. But now I love it, and it's one of my favourites off Awake.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »
Probably some WDADU stuff. Only a Matter of Time seems pretty random at first but really is quite a well-thought-through and expressive song with some very nice and deep meanings. Believe it or not, I actually also hated 6:00 and Caught in a Web when I was pretty little and hearing it in the background in the car. I don't know WHY, but I think I just thought it sounded "ugly". Now those songs are some of my favorites EVER.

In fact the whole Awake album had more and more and more meaning as I heard more songs from it. Suddenly when I listened to Space Dye Vest (although I recalled hearing it in the background a few times growing up, so it wasn't really the first time) the whole album just finally made sense and BOOM meant so much to me and I still haven't gotten over it.

Just Let Me Breathe really grew on me too. Mostly because of the album it's on, then I realized "whoa this is actually really good just like any other album".

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Scarred and SDV, which eventually became my 2 favorite DT songs
Also Trial of Tears and Learning to Live took me a very long time to like but they eventually clicked.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »
Basically all of them.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
Pretty much everything pre-SFAM. I&W and Awake didn't really click for me untill LALP.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
Probably some WDADU stuff. Only a Matter of Time seems pretty random at first but really is quite a well-thought-through and expressive song with some very nice and deep meanings. Believe it or not, I actually also hated 6:00 and Caught in a Web when I was pretty little and hearing it in the background in the car. I don't know WHY, but I think I just thought it sounded "ugly". Now those songs are some of my favorites EVER.

In fact the whole Awake album had more and more and more meaning as I heard more songs from it. Suddenly when I listened to Space Dye Vest (although I recalled hearing it in the background a few times growing up, so it wasn't really the first time) the whole album just finally made sense and BOOM meant so much to me and I still haven't gotten over it.

That probably happened to a lot of us when we first heard it. I think there were a lot of us "spoiled brats" who wanted "Images and Words" part two (or "Son of") and weren't prepared for the harder, grittier sound of "Awake" But when you really listen to it, it does have a lot more depth and dimension to it than what seems to be there at first.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
I don't have much time so I'll throw in a quick one.

The Enigma Machine has really grown on me recently, specifically the middle chunk of the song up to the end of the slower solo. Also, now that I've finally understood the time signatures in this song, the riffs have been getting stuck in my head frequently xD I enjoy that though.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline krands85

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
In my early days of being a DT fan, Metropolis was really the only song I cared for from I&W - but now it's easily my favourite album of all time. Possibly took me a while to grow into it as I was more of a straightforward metal fan when I first discovered the band.

Scenes was sort of similar. I always enjoyed it and thought it was really consistent, but Beyond This Life was the only song I really thought was great. I've come to appreciate FT, Home, TSCO and FF a lot more as standalone songs now.

The 2 other main tracks I can think of that took quite a while to grow on me and that I now love are Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand. They were always the stand-out tracks on FII, but it took me much longer than usual to realise how good they were.

I don't recall ever being completely swayed by live versions of tracks that I didn't really like that much previously. I suppose some WDADU tracks are the exception there, but that's slightly different. There are several songs that definitely work much better live though - eg. TSCO and HY.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »
For me, the best example is Octavarium. When I first heard it, I only liked Intervals. The intro dragged, both Someone Like Him and Medicate were boring, while Full Circle and Razor's Edge failed to engage me. As I listened to it more, it grew on me bit by bit; I soon fell in love with the Full Circle instrumental section and Razor's Edge. The intro followed soon after. Eventually, I came to love each second of the entire track, and it is now top 5 material.

The longer songs tend to take a while to sink in, though I usually come to like them within half a dozen listens. Dream Theater's music grows on me much faster than, let's say, that of Between the Buried and Me or Opeth. No DT song took as long to grow as White Walls or Ghost of Perdition.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »

That probably happened to a lot of us when we first heard it. I think there were a lot of us "spoiled brats" who wanted "Images and Words" part two (or "Son of") and weren't prepared for the harder, grittier sound of "Awake" But when you really listen to it, it does have a lot more depth and dimension to it than what seems to be there at first.

Actually that wasn't me because I didn't know anything about Dream Theater, or like any of their stuff for that matter. My brother just loved them and when he would play his CD's in the car, I would here Dream Theater from time to time. I just was more into happier sounding music and when it was sad it kinda still had to be pretty and nice sounding. Awake purposely feels a little unwelcoming I think, unless you're already into that style.

Still, I feel like if they had just released Caught in a Web as the follow-up single to Pull Me Under, instead of Lie and Silent Man or To Live Forever, they would have had a lot more commercial success with it. Or at least that would have been their best bet.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »
I can't think of anything from DT that I didn't like at first, and it grew on me later.

However, I will say that I thought Octavarium was "DT by the numbers" and "boring" within the first month of release.    Now, I can't imagine what I was thinking.  The entire album just hit me like a lead brick within a year or two after release.   Now, it is my ALL TIME #1 Dream Theater album, passing up IAW, SFAM and Awake in the process.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Learning to Live, A Change of Seasons, Breaking All Illusions come to mind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Almost all the DT albums I wasn't happy with at first listen have not grown on me at all - although they haven't had much of a chance  ;D  The obvious one for me is FII  - massive WTF moment after I&W and Awake but over time it has become Top 5 or 6.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Space Dye Vest
New Millennium
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
The Dance of Eternity was weird at first, then I liked it, now I'm kinda meh about it.
Voices definitely grew on me.
The first time I heard Space-Dye Vest, I didn't like it, probably because I think I only listened to like 30 seconds of it. Second time I was in tears.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
The Exaggerator grew on me. :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
All of FII - with Trial of Tears taking the longest to click, and now being possibly my favourite, and a top 10 or 20 song

Through Her Eyes - I always hated this for the drum machine and general wimpiness, but now I always listen to it with the rest of the album. It's not a favourite, but I like it a lot more than I did

Blind Faith - This song took the longest time to click for me, but now it's one of my favourite DT songs

Disappear - For ages I thought this was boring as hell, but now I think it's easily one of DT's best ballads, and full of emotion.

I think that about covers it!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Scarred - Easily the densest DT song to me. Took a few years for me to even be able to understand what was going on, let alone enjoy the song. Now it sits as my #2 DT track.

Enigma Machine - Was my least favorite song on DT12 as well as my least favorite instrumental at first. I've grown to like it more over the past year and I think it has some really awesome parts.

Endless Sacrifice - Hated this song for a long time, but I've come to really like some of the riffs and the lyrics. I could do without the solos, but apart from that it's a really cool song.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
All of FII - with Trial of Tears taking the longest to click, and now being possibly my favourite, and a top 10 or 20 song

Through Her Eyes - I always hated this for the drum machine and general wimpiness, but now I always listen to it with the rest of the album. It's not a favourite, but I like it a lot more than I did

Blind Faith - This song took the longest time to click for me, but now it's one of my favourite DT songs

Disappear - For ages I thought this was boring as hell, but now I think it's easily one of DT's best ballads, and full of emotion.

You should listen to Scarred and Space-Dye Vest some more. Maybe they'll grow on you.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:30 PM »

You should listen to Scarred and Space-Dye Vest some more. Maybe they'll grow on you.  ;)

I've already listened to them far too much. You know what else grows on you? Cancer.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
Hollow Years.
Really did not care for the song when I heard it in '97.
Budokan release turned it around for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
Hollow Years.
Really did not care for the song when I heard it in '97.
Budokan release turned it around for me.

Budokan turned all of FII around for me, starting with Hollow Years. The only song I liked on FII before that was JLMB (which I still love btw), but the Budokan versions of Hollow Years, Trial of Tears and New Millennium were all so great that I had to give FII another chance, and now I love it. :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »
Take The Time is the prime example of this for me.
It was one of my most hated DT songs originally.
Now it's in my top 3.
Go figure.

Another story is how I basically didn't know Lines in the Sand at all until last year. Like, I'd heard it before but didn't remember a single moment of it. Then I listened to it again and now it's in my top 10 :V

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Falling Into Infinity.

Used to be my least favourite album, pretty much from when I heard it the first time... think I actually disliked it at one point. It just didn't sound like they knew what they were doing.

But then the weirdest thing happened last summer... I found myself listening to that album A LOT. Very suddenly... after about 8 or 9 years of being a fan of the band... I found myself appreciating all sorts of things about that album. The songwriting, the diversity, the production...

Trial of Tears is easily a top 3 song for me now.

The only thing that really makes me sad about that album is the omission of Raise the Knife, which for me is easily a top 10 or top 15 track.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
The Glass Prison and The Great Debate didn't work for me at all when SDOIT was released. Then I played SDOIT CD1 to a friend in her car while she was driving on a deserted main road at four in the night right after heavy rain and strong winds stopped leaving the roads wet and the air cool. And all of a sudden the songs clicked. She liked them too BTW. I already loved the other songs but they got even better after experiencing them in this situation. Strange thing.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 06:15:39 AM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls

This is probably the one that springs to mind for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 06:29:22 AM »
Scarred and Learning to Live are the two that pop into my mind.  I didn't really think they were bad songs upon first listen, they just really didn't do much for me.  But now I adore both of them!

Budokan turned all of FII around for me, starting with Hollow Years. The only song I liked on FII before that was JLMB (which I still love btw), but the Budokan versions of Hollow Years, Trial of Tears and New Millennium were all so great that I had to give FII another chance, and now I love it. :tup

This actually happened with several DT songs for me.  I was introduced to DT during the ToT/Budokan era and some of the studio songs that I didn't connect with right away, I ended up connecting with the live versions of the songs. Then once I connected with the live versions I "got" the song and the studio versions became better to my ears.  Its interesting to see the effect of actually seeing a song get played, that sort of thing has always helped me get more into bands and songs.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
Basically all of them.
This and that's the beauty of this genre. You discover new things each time to listen to a song.

One song that stands above all in this department is Trial of Tears, which was on my skip-list for months before slowly becoming a solid top 10 masterpiece.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Hell's Kitchen.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »
The Glass Prison and The Great Debate didn't work for me at all when SDOIT was released. Then I played SDOIT CD1 to a friend in her car while she was driving on a deserted main road at four in the night right after heavy rain and strong winds stopped leaving the roads wet and the air cool. And all of a sudden the songs clicked. She liked them too BTW. I already loved the other songs but they got even better after experiencing them in this situation. Strange thing.

Greetings...
Nef

Now THAT's the kind of response that I was looking for! "Something happened that made me change my mind." Good story.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
Pretty much everything pre-SFAM.

Exactly this for me. Many songs from the new albums were instant favourites, but the older ones take more time.

Believe it or not, I actually also hated 6:00 and Caught in a Web when I was pretty little and hearing it in the background in the car. I don't know WHY, but I think I just thought it sounded "ugly". Now those songs are some of my favorites EVER.

Yeah... Those two songs are still somewhere among my top 10 LEAST favourite DT songs  (excluding WDADU). I really should give Awake another chance. The first 3 albums are actually the only studio albums that I don't own a physicsl copy of. I used to have awake and i&w on my phone, but since I don't do downloads anymore I only listen to them from spotify nowadays. And even thats pretty rare. But I'll buy them... someday....

I was suprised to find that, when I saw DT live this year, the songs I liked the most were the old ones. Especially the awake songs. I never liked the studio versions of lie and the mirror that much, but seeing them live certainly made me appreciate them more.