Author Topic: DT songs that've aged worst for you, relative to how much you liked them at 1st  (Read 2448 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
In other words, not songs you never really liked and still don't. 

I mean, songs that you don't like nearly as much as you did at first or even for a while. 

Two songs come to mind for me:

Panic Attack
Honor Thy Father

I used to say that Panic Attack, other than the title track, was my favorite from the rest of the record, but I never listen to it anymore, and there are probably 3-4 songs I like more than it now.  It's a song that's just kind of there for me now.

I wasn't keen on Train of Thought at first, but I always like Honor Thy Father quite a bit, and for a long time, it was my 2nd or 3rd favorite from that record.  Now, it's near the bottom, only beating out This Dying Soul, which I've never liked a lot.  Seeing the version on the Score bonus features didn't help, as it came off totally sterile live. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I can't really think of any songs that I like significantly less than how much I liked them at first. Plenty of songs that went the opposite way that I didn't like at first and now love, but if I don't like a song now, I didn't like it when I first got acquainted with it either.

The closest I can think of is Endless Sacrifice. It was never a favourite on the album, but I liked it almost as much as some of the other songs. Now I never listen to it, and find it a bit boring, but I don't dislike it either. Closest I can think of. There are plenty of songs that have worn out on me, but they're not songs I ever thought were great, and not songs I dislike now. It's just a case of the new car smell wearing off, and not listening to them anymore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
One that jumps to mind is The Count of Tuscany.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BMU,BMD.

I loved it when ADTOE first came out, now I can't stand it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That reminds me, I can probably add Outcry to my list.  I still like it, but not nearly as much as I did when ADTOE first came out. 

Offline krands85

I was thinking about this the other day actually. I remember maybe 6-7 years ago I had a playlist with about 15 of my favourite DT tracks at the time and The Great Debate was one of them. These days, I rarely listen to it and it's probably not even in my top 40. Still a good song though. Of course, when you're just looking at rankings, many songs will move down the list when you grow to appreciate others over time or there are new songs released that you really like.

The Glass Prison is another that comes to mind. It hasn't fallen down my rankings as much as TGD, but it doesn't seem to have the same impact anymore. Similar story with Beyond This Life and A Nightmare to Remember.

There aren't any that I used to like that I now dislike though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zyzzyva17

Under a Glass Moon. Went from #4 to somewhere in the 20's.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline 425

Forsaken. Something about its relative simplicity, the fantasy lyrics, the main riff and the keyboard intro appealed to me when first I heard SC. Now... It just doesn't do anything for me at all and it's one of my least favorite DT songs.

Edit: Also, The Glass Prison. I loved it at first, but now it just feels a bit overlong to me. I prefer TDS and TSF from the 12SS. The same could be said to a lesser degree about The Root of All Evil.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
One that jumps to mind is The Count of Tuscany.

This one.  The other one for me is ITPOE.  I never liked it all that much when it first came out, but I thought it was pretty cool for what it was.  Now I can hardly listen to it.

Offline mikeyd23

Forsaken. Something about its relative simplicity, the fantasy lyrics, the main riff and the keyboard intro appealed to me when first I heard SC. Now... It just doesn't do anything for me at all and it's one of my least favorite DT songs.

Came in here to post exactly this.  The first time I heard Forsaken, I loved it, the keys, the big guitar riff, the whole thing. Now I could take it or leave it most days honestly.

Offline krands85

Came in here to post exactly this.  The first time I heard Forsaken, I loved it, the keys, the big guitar riff, the whole thing. Now I could take it or leave it most days honestly.
That's one I forgot about. I'd not been in to the band very long at the time SC came out, but I remember playing Forsaken over and over again when it was first released, really loved it. It's still a fairly pleasant song, but nothing special to me now.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Songs only got better for me. Songs I didn't like, I still don't really like.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I really liked The Best of Times when the album first came out but I have no desire to sit through it anymore.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
The Glass Prison is the most obvious one for me. I used to think it was the best song on SDOIT. Now I'd say its 2nd worst.

Honestly, I can't think of a single song from Systematic Chaos onward that has gotten better with time. I still like quite a few of them, but none have actually improved in my standings.

Offline Knguro

A Rite of Passage.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Home. SFAM was my first DT album and Home was my favorite on it. Now I don't like it really much, listening it just whenllistening to whole album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Well, one of the processes of aging is being able to remember why you liked a song in the first place.  As long as you don't play a song to death, that initial spark should never go away.  I guess it's the opposite for me.  Some of the songs I didn't like at first may have gotten better over time.  Songs I've always liked, I still like.  The songs I don't like is a very short list and I can't imagine them getting better over time.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Two come to mind. Most notably, A Nightmare to Remember. I was first getting into DT and thought it was one of the most amazing things ever. Now, it's not necessarily unlistenable, but there so many moments that I can't get through without mental cringe.

The Shattered Fortress falls into the same spectrum, though not quite on the same scale as with ANTR.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
I can't really say that there any songs that I've stopped liking, but if I don't like a song as much as I did before, it's probably my fault, because I listened to it too many times. The entire "Images and Words" disc would be a good example of that.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline aprilethereal

TGP (was once my #1, now probably not in the top 20 anymore), and ANTR.

Offline son_ov_hades

The Glass Prison, when Six Degrees came out I loved this song but it gets more tiring and overlong with every listen.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Home.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Lines In The Sand.

At first, I loved everything about it but then the chorus drags it for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I really liked The Best of Times when the album first came out but I have no desire to sit through it anymore.
This. I still love the guitar solo but the ten minutes or so it takes to get there doesn't do a whole lot for me anymore.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
A lot of SC, honestly. Was one of the first DT albums I had and I liked a fair bit of it at the time. Now the only songs I really care about at all are Repentance and TMOLS.
TDEN especially has dropped into my bottom 5, though it was never a song I particularly liked to begin with.

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
Hmmm. The Glass Prison, Honor Thy Father, most of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Pretty much all of Systematic Chaos and the majority of Train of Thought. Lump a good chunk of Octavarium in there too.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Honor Thy Father certainly comes to mind. I still like some of the badass riffs and such, but the overall theme of the song doesn't really jive with me anymore.

ITPOE Pt 2. When SC came out and for a while after, I listened to part 2 quite a lot. The issue nowadays is that it takes too long to get to the parts I really enjoy, so part 1 becomes more magnified.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Definitely have some of these.

LNF: Still really enjoy it, but it definitely has lost a lot of its charm since the first few months, partially due to the instant mental comparisons to UAGM I unconsciously make while listening.

Outcry: I used to absolutely adore the chorus, but now the whole song seems to drag for long portions of time. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to it.

ANTR: Like ThatOneGuy said, was still getting into DT and this song blew me away.  Now the cheese factor, silly story, rororo (seriously: we make fun of it a lot, but it truly is laughable), and meandering instrumental sections (although I like the unison still) kill my enjoyment of it.

TSF: This one faded fast.  The "whoa" factor of dissecting the integration of the other 12SS songs into the song was fun the first few times, but once that wears off, very little of it appeals to me enough to seek it out to listen to.

TMOLS: I may have just over-listened to it, but this song used to be the most emotional yet fun song of DT's later years for me.  Now it DRAGS. Again, I'll listen on occasion, but it's replay value is almost gone for me.

PA: As mentioned before. Still fun.

HTF: Simply lost its charm.  Very cheesy in its attempt to rock hard, but it used to feel pretty badass. Simply lost its ability to feel that way recently.  Still love "Don't cross the crooked step".

And finally,

SOC: Used to be my favorite instrumental, but only recently have I been coming to terms with how I wish portions of the middle were cut out.  They ruin the pace of the song and while the main riff and the last few minutes are still spectacular, it's almost become a chore to listen to all of it, so I don't listen much anymore.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
I purposely avoid overplaying and over-listening to songs to avoid this phenomenon.

But it's not like I don't have an answer for you.

I'd say A Change of Seasons has weakened for me. I used to think it was the best song ever made. Now I prefer other songs to it for sure. Some of it's novelty has worn off I think.

Perhaps the song that has taken the biggest dive on my charts is Ministry Of Lost Souls. When it came out, I really thought it was swell-and a beauty-but now I just see it as a slow, dirgey, awkward song. It ain't the only song on Systematic Chaos that did that either.

Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Probably ANTR... I used to like it despite the embarrassing "day after day" section and it even appeared in my top 50 list, but nowadays I find it impossible to sit through the entirety of the song.

Offline Mladen

TSF: This one faded fast.  The "whoa" factor of dissecting the integration of the other 12SS songs into the song was fun the first few times, but once that wears off, very little of it appeals to me enough to seek it out to listen to.
This.

Also, I think Constant motion isn't really aging that well, despite me loving it back in the day.

Offline emtee

For me it's the entire 8V album. Spun the living crap out of it for 6 months after release. It was also the first DT album my
daughter connected with so we were able to enjoy it together. But now I just don't connect with most of it at all.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
ANTR and TCOT. Unfortunately those were the only two songs that made me think Black Clouds was a quite good album, while now i don't feel any desire to listen to it again.