Author Topic: Tyrias' Roulette v. THE FINAL RESULTS  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Tyrias

Tyrias' Roulette v. THE FINAL RESULTS
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:50 AM »
Welcome to my first Roulette everyone! Before I say anything else about the Roulette, I think I should introduce myself, since I haven’t been the most regular poster on here. ( despite lurking all the time ;) ) Since ? is in his final round now, I figured it would be okay to start lokking for participants  :angel: .
I’m 20 years old, live in Austria and study economics. Currently I’m doing an internship and find myself with plenty of free time at my hands, so I can safely promise the pace of this Roulette won’t be a problem. Also, please forgive any mistakes, I haven’t really actively practiced my English skills over the last year ;) .

My music tastes are all over the place, so I’m rather sure anyone who would like to play will find plenty of stuff to send  ;D .

So, here come…

THE RULES:
Every participant sends one song for each round and I score every song with a maximum of 6 points.

THE ROUNDS:
I’m going to go with pretty simple themes so you have a lot of music to choose from, but I’m not a big fan of open rounds, so there’s probably going to be a theme for every round.

SIGNING UP:
The first 8 people to post in this thread are in ;). If we don’t have 8 people by the time ? finishes his Roulette, we’ll start anyway  :P .

HOW TO SEND:
I prefer spotify links, but generally I’m fine with everything as long as the quality is good  :D . Just PM me the link and the song, and it should work out fine.

BANNED ARTISTS:
Not every band I have ever heard of is on that list, but those are all artists I listen to fairly regularly and like or love.
Agalloch
Alcest
Amatorski
Amplifier
Anathema
…And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Arcade Fire
Árstídir
AWOLNATION
Biffy Clyro
Blackfield
Bon Iver
Brand New
Bruce Soord & Jonas Renkse
Chelsea Wolfe
Coldplay
Dánjal
Deafheaven
The Dear Hunter
The Decemberists
Devin Townsend (and all related projects)
Die Ärzte
A Dog Called Ego
Dream Theater
Dredg
Epica
Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung
Fair To Midland
Foals
Foo Fighters
Forest Park
Gazpacho
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Gojira
Gregor Samsa
Guro Von Germeten
Haken
Helios
Iron Maiden
James LaBrie
Jónsi
Jónsi & Alex
Kamelot
The Killers
Kvelertak
Leafblade
Linkin Park
Liquid Tension Experiment
London Grammar
Lorde
Modest Mouse
Mogwai
MONO
Múm
Mumford & Sons
Muse
The National
Ne Obliviscaris
Nightwish
Nine Inch Nails
No-Man
Oceansize
Of Monsters And Men
Ólafur Arnalds
Opeth
OSI
Pain Of Salvation
Pendulum
The Pineapple Thief
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Portishead
Queens Of The Stone Age
Radiohead
Russian Circles
Sigur Rós
Silver Mt. Zion ( and all other versions of their name ;) )
Smashing Pumpkins
Steven Wilson
Storm Corrosion
Strapping Young Lad
Swans
Symphony X
System Of A Down
The Tallest Man On Earth
Tango With Lions
Tarja
Thank You Scientist
Thrice
Tool
Ulver
Unexpect
Within Temptation
The xx

There are going to be about 8 rounds, depending on how long each round takes. I don't really want to spend more than 2 months doing this and keep everyone else waiting who wants to host their own roulette. I'll already give you the theme for the first round, so you can start thinking about what to send.

The Participants:
1.senecadawg2
2.Lucien
3.Sacul
4.adace
5.Shadow Ninja 2.0
6.Tom Bombadil
7.lonestar

Round 1 Theme: Send me a song you would put on at a party! Any genre is fine :) .

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:04:21 PM by Tyrias »

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. WHO IS THIS GUY? also: SIGN UP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
Sent!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
seneca and Lucien, you're both in!  ;D THere are still 6 spots left to take, so sign up guys!

Also, since seneca asked in his PM, live songs are fine as well as studio versions. (but please don't send some terrible phone recordings  ;) )

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I will participate on this  :hat. Sent.

Offline adace

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
I'm in. Sent!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
Adace and sacul, you're both in  ;D  4 places are still open, so sign up guys!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Count me in, I'll send when I get home from work.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Hey I can do this I guess

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Your banned list is a bit big for me, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Sent round 1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent man...

Offline Tyrias

Great! Tom Bombadil, Shadow Ninja and lonestar are in as well, there's one more spot to have if anyone's interested  ;) .

Offline Tyrias

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. WHO IS THIS GUY? I'll take 1 more participant!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
Well, since no one else has signed up for 2 days now, I figured I'd just post Round 1 Results. If anyone still wants to join after this, they can just resend the first round and I'll score their song with the next update  ;) .

Before I post up results, I will explain my point system a bit. I figured that sending one terrible song shouldn't mean your chances at this roulette are over, so I designed my point system that getting 0 points here would get you something between 0-3 points if I'd ranked the songs out of 10 points. 0,5 points would mean something between 3 and 5 points if rated out of 10. TO give you a clear reference, here is what I had in mind for each number of points:

0 points - I never want to hear this song again.
1 points - I won’t mind this song if it’s in the background, but don’t really want to listen to it otherwise.
2 points- okay
3 points- liked it
4 points- really liked it
5 points- awesome song
6 points- perfect in every way possible

So if you only get 3 points ot of 6, that's actually still really good  ::) :angel:.

So, the results:

senecadawg2: Susanne Sundfør - The Silicone Veil - Live at Skavlan 05-10-2012  (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9bcegcmW8)
This song really surprised me on first listen, I wasn't really expecting something so calm. Nevertheless, this song was just amazing vom start to finish. Loved the way it built up from a calm start to this (by comparison) epic ending. Also, her voice is just gorgeous and takes the song up another step. I'm definetely checking out more music from her  :tup
5,5 / 6 points

Lucien: Frost* - Toys (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJk61r6iUX8)
This song sounds like a prog metal band doing pop for once. I wasn't completely sold on the result on first listen, but it grew on me with each time I listened to it. The last two times I couldn't help smiling when the song started and shaking my head to the beat  ;D . Also, I could definetely play this at a party with my friends without getting many weird looks, so props for that  :lol .
4,5 / 6 points

Sacul: Infected Mushroom - becoming insane (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipooHI1NGc)
I actually knew this song, but I had only listened to it one or two times so I let it pass. This is definetely out of my usual genre pallette, like a Trance track with some Spanish guitar and rock riffs thrown into the mix... The song is definetely very fun to listen to and just hop around the room like you're becoming insane (get the pun :biggrin: ?). However, i felt it went on a bit too long for it's own good and cutting a minute or two would have added a point or two to the score ;).
3 / 6 points

adace: Enslaved-Fusion Of Sense And Earth (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6gds4QVQE)
Another song that grew on me a lot over consecutive listens. The screams at the beginning really out me off at first, and it took me a while to see those great riffs underneath. Really, every riff on this song is excellent, but the solo and those higher pitched growls/screams at the beginning were'nt really my cup of tea. By contrast, I enjoyed the low growls towards the end, a shame they were mixed so low.
Also, if I played this at a party my friends would probably start to question my sanity , but never mind that :lol  :metal
3,5/6 points

Tom Bombadil: David Bowie - Thursday's Child (Spotify link:  spotify:track:6aAVlNsl1ND24oy33Cq9Sb)
Literally 10 seconds after I first started listening to this song I had  a picture in my head: It's 4 a.m., most people are already home and only a few still left, there are a few couples on the dancefloor hugging each other/making out and some people just sitting around and singing along drunkenly...  :lol 
Luckily, I really like this feeling. Great song, but it didn't quite blow me away :D.
4 / 6  points

lonestar: Boston - Smokin' (spotifly link: https://play.spotify.com/track/37neU3YM4yysrailQPlMl6 )
I'd never heard of this song before you sent it to me, despite it being so popular.. I guess I need to brush up my knowledge of pre-90s music :biggrin:.
It's a really cool rocking tune, the main riff should get anyone who likes rock  moving along, and the solo section is quite good as well. Especially love the keyboards starting at 2:45, but those 2 quiet parts at 3:30 really sound out of place. Also, the production sounds pretty dated (which is of course obvious since it's an old song), I think the drums just lack a bit of punch that would have raised the song to another level. Still, solid submission  :tup
3,5 / 6 points

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Voyager - She Takes Me (Into The Morning Light) (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxdXmfKySHI)
Stilistically, this is pretty close to the Frost* song, unfortunately the song just doesn't do quite as much for me. It has a really great and catchy chorus that's gonna be stuck in my head for a while but the verses just don't quite do it for me for some reason...
3 / 6 points

So, we have a first ranking:

senecadawg2        5,5
Lucien                    4,5
Tom Bombadil        4
lonestar                 3,5
adace                    3,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0  3
Sacul                     3

I liked each song you sent me, so keep up the good work  :tup .

Round 2 theme is gonna be: Send me something dark. Interpret that as you will :angel: .

(And if anyone's wondering, yes, the next round is gonna be something "bright"  :o )

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
I love dark music, but doing this made me realize how little I actually have :lol

Sent. Glad you enjoyed the Bowie tune.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love dark music, but doing this made me realize how little I actually have :lol
This :biggrin:. I hope you enjoy this ;)

Offline senecadawg2

I'm glad you enjoyed Susanne Sundfør!  :heart

Sent!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Now that is a quick round, I like it. Hope you can keep up the pace man....

Sent yo...

Offline Tyrias

Well, since most of you sent longer songs for this round it wil probably be a bit longer this time around ;). I'm aiming for this weekend to finish up this round, if everyone sends on time of course ::) .

Offline adace

Sent for round 2.

Offline senecadawg2

I'm aiming for this weekend to finish up this round, if everyone sends on time of course ::) .

Did they?

Offline Tyrias

Yes, all songs are in. I'll probably post results tomorrow...

Offline Tyrias

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. Round 2 RESULTS
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
So; Round 2 Results. It's pretty late already, so I'm going to keep my write ups short (and I will have no time to post until wednesday, so I have to do it today  :angel: )

Results:
Shadow Ninja 2.0: Dir en grey - reiketsu nariseba

First listen: wtf?
Over multiple listens I've grown to like this tune quite a bit though. It's still really all over the place, and the vocals range from bark-like sounds to high pitched screams, but it somehow ... fits.
3/6 points

Sacul: Dead Can Dance - Children Of The Sun
This is quite a dark tune and I liked it on first listen. It has a slightly doomy feeling and it feels a bit like music from the 80s, but with modern production ;) . Ideal music to put on at nightime, would listen again. Especially liked the orchestral parts near the end  :tup
4,5/6 points

Tom Bombadil: A Perfect Circle- The Outsider
Starts of with a really nice melody, than it becomes quite Tool-y, but in a more concise and to the point way than Tool ever managed to be. Since their songs being too long as always my biggest problem with Tool, this is quite a step up and a great tune! Also, Maynards vocal performance is great  :tup.
4,5/6 points

senecadawg2: Dir en Grey- "Vinushka"
Starts off awesome, but somewhere along it's 9 minutes this song just loses me. However, there are awesome parts all over the song that drag me back in, even though I still think it could have been a bit shorterwithout losing anything- It's also not so ridiculously over the top heavy as the other Dir En Grey song sent to me this round, another plus point  :D .
4,5/6points

lonestar: IQ - The Road of Bones

So, I honestly thought I was done with discovering great new Prog music and moved to other genres, but this convinces me I have at least one more band to check out ;D. Seriously, everything from the calm start, over that awesome bassline to that heavy end is fantastic. Great send  :tup Reminds me of Porcupine Tree's FOABP quite a bit, and that's in my top 5 albums ever, soo..... ;)
6/6 points

Lucien: Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony 5, Finale
I've always liked classical music when we had it in music lessons in school. I've heard of Shostakovich before and this is a great piece of music. Loved the clever dissonances and dynamic contrasts, along with some beautiful melodies  ;D.
5/6 points

adace: Draconian - Seasons Apart
Stellar song! Probably the most "normal" song, as in closest to my normal listning habits, I got this round. The riffs were great, the female singer was great and the growls were fantastic as well! Reminded me a bit off Ghost Reveries, but with female vocals and a bit more accessible  :metal
5,5/6 points
senecadawg2        10
Lucien                    9,5
lonestar                 9,5
adace                    9
Tom Bombadil        8,5
Sacul                     7,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0  6

Overall, great round! As I said before, Round 3 Theme is to send me something bright!

Offline Lucien

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
Oh, you LIKE classical music? That makes this much, much easier.  ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
Glad you sort of enjoyed the dir en grey song. I know it can be a lot to swallow, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I sent a true classic for this next round.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Wow I came so close to sending The Road of Bones haha. Oh well, glad you like The Outsider.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
Sent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
Boom bitches, the old man ain't out yet....

Gotta think about this one. Glad you enjoyed IQ, open your wallet, they got ten studio albums :D

Offline adace

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Glad ya dug it. :tup

Round 3 = sent

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
Scent...

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Oh, you LIKE classical music? That makes this much, much easier.  ;D
Well, being from Austria I'm at least bound to be aware of its existence  ;). We have at least 8 years of compulsory music lessons, and classical music is usually a big part of it.
There are still lots of students who find it immensely boring, though :P .

Glad you sort of enjoyed the dir en grey song. I know it can be a lot to swallow, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I sent a true classic for this next round.
I think the rating for both Dir En Grey songs could have been higher if I'd given myself a few weeks to get used to their style. But I'm kinda leaning towards taking no more than a week for one round, so there you go ::).

Also, since lonestar asked in his PM: Any song length is fine, but keep in mind that I also have to find time to listen to the songs. If everyone starts sending me 20 minute songs all the time, Rounds are going to take a lot longer.

Also, please try getting everything in within the next 24 hours or so, so that I can start listening tomorrow. No time today, since I'm going to see The National :biggrin:.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:56:13 AM by Tyrias »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »
Any news?  ::)

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 02:05:40 AM »
I'll have the results up today ;)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
 :metal

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
So, Round 3 Results are ready ;).

senecadawg2: Rush- "La Vila Strangiato"

I've actually listened to the latest Rush album and quite liked it, but I never got back to checking them out more thoroughly. Hence they aren't on the banned list ;). I actually quite liked this song, and now, listening for the 5th time, I realise it's an instrumental :rollin .Which is good, since I never particularly liked Rush's vocalist. Anyway, the song has some great riffs and melodies, with some-not-quite-as-good sections thrown in. The end feels a bit sudden as well. But, as a whole, I enjoyed this song
4/6

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Jon Gomm - Passionflower

So this was definetely my favourite song this round. The melodies and rhythms, as well as the singing are fantastic. The first time I watched the video I was literally sitting in front of my computer with my mouth wide open, I never would have thought you could do this much with just one guitar :omg:. And then he just plays the main melody with the fucking tuners:omg: At times, I would have thought there were 3 people playing simultaneously, if I hadn't watched the video.
5,5/6

Sacul: Flying Colors-The Storm

So, the first of 2 Flying Colors songs I got this round. I actually meant to check them out some time ago, but never got around to it. Compared to the other song, this one seemed a lot more like a 'standard-upbeat-rock-song' which is of course not necessarily a bad thing ;). Still, I liked this one slightly less than the "Kayla". Which is not to say that I didn't, it was just not quite as good.
4/6 points

Tom Bombadil: Flying Colors - Kayla

Really like the acoustic melody, it's a shame they didn't explore that more. The rest of the song is great as well, though, I especially liked the catchy and happy chorus. All in all, this was a really nice, happy rock tune and I don't really know what else to say about it ;D.
4,5/6

lonestar: Spock's Beard - Waiting For Me
I have a somewhat hard time rating this song because, like in many long songs, there are some fantastic parts and some not-so-fantastc moments. Most instrumental parts are fantastic, but the parts with singing are somewhat lacking, mostly because I don't like the singer's voice. It seems like a mix between a normal prog vocalist and a usual pop vocalist, and something about it just rubs me the wrong way... The guitar parts (and the guitar tone) are stellar, though  :metal. There are also a few rather sudden mood changes that put me off somewhat on first listen.
So, we have 2/6 for vocals and 5/6 for instrumental parts, which makes it a total of....
3,5/6

Lucien: Rush-Marathon

Another Rush song :) !
As always with Rush, the vocals are the weakest part of the song. Other than that, I really liked how they pulled off the contrast between the mostly quirky bass and drums and the rather calm and epic guitar track. The melodies were great as well!
4,5/6

adace: Hammock - Breathturn
Post-rock/ambient, if done right, is one of my favourite genres. I loved the echo-y guitars and vocals and.... just about any instrument , really  :lol. This is a fantastic song to listen to when you're just relaxing and dreaming about life and stuff, and it was definetely the "brightest" track I got this round (at least in my interpretation ;) ).
5/6

So, after 3 rounds we have the following standings:
senecadawg2        14
Lucien                    14
adace                    14
lonestar                 13
Tom Bombadil        13
Sacul                     11,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0  11,5

So we now have a 3-way-tie for first place, 2 players on second rank , and 2 players on 3rd rank :o. This wasn't really intentional, but oh well, it keeps things interesting, doesn't it ;). Anyone still has chances, since there are only 2,5 points between first and last place, so do you best ! :tup

Round 4: I just realised I at least half of the songs (more like two thirds) I got so far were either prog or metal. Which is kind of obvious, since this is a board for a prog-metal band :P. Still, for Round 4 I wan't you to send something that's neither prog nor metal (preferably not rock as well, but I don't know much about your music libraries, so just send something rockish if you can't think of anything else that's decent ;) ). Anything else is fine!

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. Round 3 RESULTS, send Round 4
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
I thought I would score higher with La Villa Strangiato. Ah well  :laugh:

I've sent for the next round!