Author Topic: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Lines In The Sand  (Read 10364 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Learning To Live
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
Yeah... But now I wish when I signed up on DTF, I had used my real name.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2014, 04:49:16 AM »
From facebook right now:
James Labrie
3 mins ˇ

Hey Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Played at Loudpark Festival last night and it was a great gig despite me having to contend with Strep throat. As a professional you have to accept the fact that sometimes the show must go on.
Anyway, noticed on DreamTheater Forum that Great Pretender has the vocal stems for that album and has mentioned that some others are doing back ground vocals. The fact is I did 99% of the BGV with a very select few being done by John Purdell. Hope this sheds some light on that subject. I haven't even heard those stems GP, I envy you. Anyway, take care everyone and see you out there.

James Labrie
2 mins ˇ

The album I was referring to was the Awake album. Have to check some of those out.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Holy, this blew my mind! Awesome! Especially Caught in a Web.

Some of the backup vocals are kind of creepy.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
Really entertaining stuff, GreatP. Thanks for digging all this up and sharing. So cool JLB gave you the nod :metal

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
Now when I listen Octavarium that vox stem come to my mind and make me laugh.  :lol

Great work, GP.  :tup
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
The LTL ones are incredible. Thank you for posting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm loving the response lately. Leave it to JLB himself to bump the popularity of this thread, eh?

Well, here's the next one I thought was really cool, as I'm sure you guys will too: Lines In The Sand

Interestingly enough, the secondary vocals done by Doug Pinnick, were actually mixed into the Lead vocal stem, and the preceeding parts done by the band members were mixed into the background stem.

Offline adamack

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
From facebook right now:
James Labrie
3 mins ˇ

Hey Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Played at Loudpark Festival last night and it was a great gig despite me having to contend with Strep throat. As a professional you have to accept the fact that sometimes the show must go on.
Anyway, noticed on DreamTheater Forum that Great Pretender has the vocal stems for that album and has mentioned that some others are doing back ground vocals. The fact is I did 99% of the BGV with a very select few being done by John Purdell. Hope this sheds some light on that subject. I haven't even heard those stems GP, I envy you. Anyway, take care everyone and see you out there.

James Labrie
2 mins ˇ

The album I was referring to was the Awake album. Have to check some of those out.

Holy crap. That just blew my mind!

Oh wow this is crazy! I had no idea that they checked this forum. I always assumed Portnoy did at one point, since he is so into the internet community, but not James.

Too cool.

Offline fischermasamune

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Lines In The Sand
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
Wow, they are even cooler isolated!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm loving the response lately. Leave it to JLB himself to bump the popularity of this thread, eh?

Well, here's the next one I thought was really cool, as I'm sure you guys will too: Lines In The Sand

Interestingly enough, the secondary vocals done by Doug Pinnick, were actually mixed into the Lead vocal stem, and the preceeding parts done by the band members were mixed into the background stem.

I always liked those backup vocals on the first verse, and how it follows so closely to the lead melody, with a few deviations, sometimes only a tone apart, creating an interesting sound, not quite doubling, not quite a harmony.
The thing I find most interesting on FII is the use of early MP/JP vocals, before it was common on later albums. You can hear MP on that lower octave on that chorus.

I'd love to hear more FII stuff, such as the JP/MP vocals at the end of Hollow Years isolated, or even (don't laugh) the chorus bg vocals on BMS.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Don't forget Derek Sherinian is also in the mix with MP and JP.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
Also, love Dug's vocals on pretty much anything. Soulful as fugg...

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »

I'd love to hear more FII stuff, such as the JP/MP vocals at the end of Hollow Years isolated, or even (don't laugh) the chorus bg vocals on BMS.

All in due time, my friend!  :coolio

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
 :tup Very helpful thread.. Actually, I'm also a 'collector' of isolated DT tracks.. I could share the whole stuff, but I know that would carry to not precisely pleasant consequences for me.. Anyway, here's with what I contribute for now.. One of the "new-classics"... https://www.mediafire.com/listen/l4niaapw3y2ux3p/1-_On_the_Backs_of_Angels_-_Vocals.mp3
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
:tup Very helpful thread.. Actually, I'm also a 'collector' of isolated DT tracks.. I could share the whole stuff, but I know that would carry to not precisely pleasant consequences for me.. Anyway, here's with what I contribute for now.. One of the "new-classics"... https://www.mediafire.com/listen/l4niaapw3y2ux3p/1-_On_the_Backs_of_Angels_-_Vocals.mp3

Cool. Which ones do you have?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
Dug's vocals sound much better isolated. I don't know what they did to them on the album, but I never cared for them.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »

I have a lot of isolated tracks.. The files in mp3, not like you, though, the jammit ones... So the vast majority are guitar stems, guitar backingtracks, keys stems, and bass... Vocal stems I only have 15, but they're all unedited.. I mean except for OtBoA, in the rest there are the respective silences among the vocal lines.. However, these I have:

- Pull Me Under
- Wait for Sleep
- Learning to Live

- The Silent Man
- Scarred
- Space-Dye Vest

- You not Me

- Home
- One Last Time (2 tracks, with main and overlaid vocals)

- The Answer Lies Within
- These Walls
- Never Enough

- Constant Motion

- Wither

- On the Backs of Angels

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Oh cool! The only ones of those I don't have are the Constant Motion ones. I don't suppose you could upload them?

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

I have a lot of isolated tracks.. The files in mp3, not like you, though, the jammit ones... So the vast majority are guitar stems, guitar backingtracks, keys stems, and bass... Vocal stems I only have 15, but they're all unedited.. I mean except for OtBoA, in the rest there are the respective silences among the vocal lines.. However, these I have:

- Pull Me Under
- Wait for Sleep
- Learning to Live

- The Silent Man
- Scarred
- Space-Dye Vest

- You not Me

- Home
- One Last Time (2 tracks, with main and overlaid vocals)

- The Answer Lies Within
- These Walls
- Never Enough

- Constant Motion

- Wither

- On the Backs of Angels

I have every single stem, vocals to instrument for Overture 1928 and One Last Time, perhaps we could set up an exchange?

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
Oh cool! The only ones of those I don't have are the Constant Motion ones. I don't suppose you could upload them?

Right... That one's not on Jammit.. You said "ones" btw.. So do you want the whole tracks from CM or just the vocals?.. Here's the good news anyway: I have ALL those files I mentioned (and ALL the ones I have) already uploaded in MF.. In fact, recently I suffered the contrariety of losing everything in my pc, but fortunately the files I had in the cloud now I was able to recover.. (Advice: save your valuable files in some place safe...) Almost 2GB of isolated tracks I had there... and I still have, luckily..

So, here's the Constant Motion Vocal Stem: https://www.mediafire.com/download/mbhhe1ieg9x4ieh/3-+Constant+Motion+-+Vocals.mp3

If you want the others, just ask for it (from this song I actually have all the separate instruments); or anyone else who want any other stem (guitars, keys, bass, drums, guitar backingtracks) from several songs.... no problem at all.. Send me MP or whatever... I haven't them all.. But I have plenty...

I could also write the whole "catalogue" of tracks I have.. But I don't know what are the limits to share links on the forum... Just let me know if I should do it.. I'd have no problem at all..  :tup

I have every single stem, vocals to instrument for Overture 1928 and One Last Time, perhaps we could set up an exchange?

We already did.. Right here: https://www.youtube.com/user/147pablox/discussion

I'm THAT Pablo...  :D

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
holy crap, what's up man :D

its a small world

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
I guess it's just a small DT-fans-who-want-isolated-DT-tracks-world...  ;D

But yeah, what a coincidence!..