Author Topic: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Lines In The Sand  (Read 10365 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Voices
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
Yeah, mainly I shared them for that whispering part. It just captivated me how haunting it is.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
These are pretty cool, my favorite so far is The Silent Man.  :tup

Question: In Lie, I read the word lie in the liner notes in parentheses, and have read about it being whispered very low in the mix. No matter how hard I try, I can't hear it at all. Is it in the isolated vocal tracks?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Unfortunately not. :( I could never hear them either, but if they ARE in the song, then they definitely weren't included into either the main vocal mix, nor the backup vocal mix. And I couldn't hear it in the instrumental mix either, so I dunno.

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Octavarium
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
Hey guys. I've been away a while.

Here are some vocals from Octavarium. It's mainly the backup vocals, including some interesting (and weirdly autotuned it seems) harmonies. But my favorite part is the Intervals section, definitely. JLB's screams are very cool and interesting. And the whispers were something I never heard either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Nothing in there I hadn't heard before, but I like hearing it isolated.
JLB's earlier screams sound really weird, like an old homeless lady yelling at you for walking too close to her box home.

In Full Circle, I was never fully sure whether there was that octave vocal harmony, or whether the organ patch just blended with it to create the aural illusion of an octave overtone. It's nice to have that confirmed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
Very nice to hear the isolated backing vocals for Octavarium! A lot of things that could go unheard. Thanks much!

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »

Question: In Lie, I read the word lie in the liner notes in parentheses, and have read about it being whispered very low in the mix. No matter how hard I try, I can't hear it at all. Is it in the isolated vocal tracks?

It's not so hard to hear them maybe your problem was that you was searching for them in wrong chorus. I hear them clearly but only in the last chorus. (BTW I also didn't hear them for a long time but one day I was listening to Lie in train and was really concentrating on the rhythm and suddenly the Did and Lie parts jumped out from mix on me so clearly).

After first part of the chorus (I won't) you can hear it eight times like this: DID(L) did(R) DID(L) did(R) DID(L) did(R) DID(L) did(R). (L) means left speaker, (R) means right speaker and case means volume (secondary "did" in between each main "did" is much less audible but it's there)

And then after second part of the chorus (I'll try) you can hear "lie" sixteen times like this: LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R) LIE(L) lie(R)

The "Lie" part is a bit less audible than "Did" part, but the "DID" in the left speaker is relatively loud and very easy to hear when you concentrate and you don't mistake it with drums or some effects (it sounds like voice but it is used rhythmically not melodically).

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 06:27:42 AM »
I have to say, I think the extra words are really cool as it puts an entirely different spin on the very context and meaning of the lyrics. I want to hear it but I unfortunately must remain a skeptic until I can... But I really can't hear it though. I'm trying to listen right now with the studio version of Lie from Awake with headphones and listened very carefully, but I'm just being blasted by the guitar riff after the lyric that it's supposed to come after. Honestly can't hear a thing.   ???

Although to the topic creator, it's fascinating hearing these isolated vocals. I'd love to hear more.  :biggrin:

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
I have to say, I think the extra words are really cool as it puts an entirely different spin on the very context and meaning of the lyrics. I want to hear it but I unfortunately must remain a skeptic until I can... But I really can't hear it though. I'm trying to listen right now with the studio version of Lie from Awake with headphones and listened very carefully, but I'm just being blasted by the guitar riff after the lyric that it's supposed to come after. Honestly can't hear a thing.   ???

I made this video to help you or anyone else interested to hear those words ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECYwNMf9PQQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 09:38:18 AM »
OMG I just discovered this. Awesome. I love hearing unheard stuff  :hat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »

Thanks, that's first time I noticed that. Sounds really much like KevMo for me!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »
JLB's earlier screams sound really weird, like an old homeless lady yelling at you for walking too close to her box home.
OMG, so this.  :lol Especially the second part. And hearing the whispers after that made me laugh really hard. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
I wonder what the direction was when he was in the recording booth for that.
MP: "Okay, James. Pretend like you're a 75 year old widow, you have 20 cats, and a bunch of annoying kids just accidentally hit your window with a soccer ball. Aaand go!"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »

Wow thank you. I can actually hear it! Or I can imagine it because of the visual prompts.  :lol

Seriously though, it's far too low in the mix, too quiet. I like cool little extra subtle bits like this, but when it's just completely buried completely, the idea's almost wasted. Thanks for taking the time to make the video though. ;)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »

Isn't that the voice you hear in the left speaker after the last chorus just before the instrumental, around 4:47 to 4:57? It's very low but you can hear somebody saying something. I am just not sure if he is saying "lie"

EDIT: Oh my, I hear it now! It's very audible in the last chorus, left speaker. After "I won't, I swear I won't" you will hear "Did Did Did Did" every third beat. Then after "I'll try, I swear I'll try" you will hear "Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie" every third beat. Woohoo!

SECOND EDIT: So somebody actually already posted an explanation above. LOL. Anyway, I have been hearing the Lie whisper for years. It's the DID that I just heard now.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:13:37 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline adamack

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Home
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZczlXNmFNcjZIWnM/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some various backup vocals from home.
The first is the perfect example of what I didn't like about MP's vocals. Just such a whiny tone to his clean notes.

I know what you mean about his whiny quality. It can be cringing by itself.

The thing is though, that is the magic of background vocals.

In many cases, background harmonies can favor people with otherwise irritating, or less-than-pleasant voices.

The whiny quality blends behind JLB's vocals in a way which creates an awesome harmony.

In other words, it's not uncommon create a better sounding harmony with one person who has an irritating voice, and another with a beautiful voice, than you can with 2 people with beautiful voices.

Offline Sourcegamer101

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Home
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZczlXNmFNcjZIWnM/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some various backup vocals from home.
The first is the perfect example of what I didn't like about MP's vocals. Just such a whiny tone to his clean notes.

I know what you mean about his whiny quality. It can be cringing by itself.

The thing is though, that is the magic of background vocals.

In many cases, background harmonies can favor people with otherwise irritating, or less-than-pleasant voices.

The whiny quality blends behind JLB's vocals in a way which creates an awesome harmony.

In other words, it's not uncommon create a better sounding harmony with one person who has an irritating voice, and another with a beautiful voice, than you can with 2 people with beautiful voices.
speaking of which, here's the backing vocals for one last time

https://www.mediafire.com/download/918r85tla2ya8a4/backupvocals.mp3

I really love the FADE AWAAAAAAAY bit in the song, so many portnoys at once

edit: I don't know why the audio quality is so poopy when clicking 'Listen'

this is a stereo 320kbps mp3 :P

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 04:33:43 AM »
^^^ Hmm, I'm confused. Is there some Petrucci in there or is it all Portnoy? Sounds completely awesome though. I do miss Mike's harmonies, really enjoyed them in Black Clouds & Silver Linings, that album is just full of layered harmonies. (Not as keen on when he took lead, but it's not as bad as some would make it out to be ). :P

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »

Here are some vocals from Octavarium. It's mainly the backup vocals, including some interesting (and weirdly autotuned it seems) harmonies. But my favorite part is the Intervals section, definitely. JLB's screams are very cool and interesting. And the whispers were something I never heard either.

Who is whispering in the "trapped inside this Octavarium" part? I can't recognize him.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:34 AM »

Who is whispering in the "trapped inside this Octavarium" part? I can't recognize him.

It's definitely MP.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
This thread is gold.  :tup

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »

It's definitely MP.

Now when you mentioned it, you're right. It's :MP:

Agreed!!! :tup

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »

Thanks! Always happy to contribute! Considering that DT fans transcribe screenshots of computers into musical compositions just to hear new snippet's of DT music, it's obvious that the fans are passionate enough to be interested in hearing a new perspective on certain musical bits of the classic songs as well.

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
All right, next up, Learning To Live.

I included all of the epicly majestic backup vocals into this one, but also a few of the lead vocals as well, just to see how they contrast.

There was a whole humming section in it that I could never hear in the original, so I included an instrumental lead-in for it to show where it's supposed to be for those who aren't sure. Also, that section I split into 3 parts: Backup part, Lead part and combined harmonics. So really, the humming only happens four times, but because I'm showcasing the different sections, you'll hear it 12 times.

Same goes for the F#, I included the backup, the lead, and the combined harmony

Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZTERLQzB1QS1VZWs/view?usp=sharing

Offline krands85

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Learning To Live
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
Nice! LTL is my favourite song, so it was extra cool to hear this one, thanks!

Can you hear the humming section in the original now you know it's there? It's always seemed pretty audible to me, though I have listened to the song several hundred times  :blush ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
I'm digging that last section (after the F#)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Not sure if I've even noticed that humming before! If I have, I probably thought it was part of the keyboard patch of something. Very cool.

I'm curious, the L2L section you posted reminded me. Are the "Woooooooa, ooooooh, hhooo" bits there at the start of Metropolis before the vocals start? (about 1:41) Like how they come through on the demo version, I swear I remember someone saying they're still there, just mixed really low. But I don't hear any vocals in Metropolis until "The smile of Dawn".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
I've always noticed the humming bit, and thought it was pretty obvious, although I never noticed there was also a lower harmony to it too. I only recall hearing the higher lead humming line.

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2014, 11:25:57 PM »
Not sure if I've even noticed that humming before! If I have, I probably thought it was part of the keyboard patch of something. Very cool.

Yeah, exactly, I always just thought that's what it was too, so it kind of blended into the keyboards for me. I never realized that it was James.

I'm curious, the L2L section you posted reminded me. Are the "Woooooooa, ooooooh, hhooo" bits there at the start of Metropolis before the vocals start? (about 1:41) Like how they come through on the demo version, I swear I remember someone saying they're still there, just mixed really low. But I don't hear any vocals in Metropolis until "The smile of Dawn".

No, there's nothing at the start of Metropolis, before the lyrics. Although there are some things that the people at Jammit might not bother isolating, and just mix right into the instrumental (such as the Did and Lie), so that's not to say that it isn't true. There are a couple of background vocal parts in Hollow Years that got mixed into the instrumental. And oddly enough, for some reason, "This is not reality" in Voices did too, even though the rest of the spoken word part was isolated. So you never know.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
From facebook right now:
James Labrie
3 mins ·

Hey Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Played at Loudpark Festival last night and it was a great gig despite me having to contend with Strep throat. As a professional you have to accept the fact that sometimes the show must go on.
Anyway, noticed on DreamTheater Forum that Great Pretender has the vocal stems for that album and has mentioned that some others are doing back ground vocals. The fact is I did 99% of the BGV with a very select few being done by John Purdell. Hope this sheds some light on that subject. I haven't even heard those stems GP, I envy you. Anyway, take care everyone and see you out there.

James Labrie
2 mins ·

The album I was referring to was the Awake album. Have to check some of those out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »
Came to post that :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
He acknowledged us lowly folks!

I hope JLB's feeling better in time for the 30th for the Sydney show! :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Someone actually down voted that video. My guess is Kevin Moore wanted to keep that a secret.

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »
From facebook right now:
James Labrie
3 mins ·

Hey Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Played at Loudpark Festival last night and it was a great gig despite me having to contend with Strep throat. As a professional you have to accept the fact that sometimes the show must go on.
Anyway, noticed on DreamTheater Forum that Great Pretender has the vocal stems for that album and has mentioned that some others are doing back ground vocals. The fact is I did 99% of the BGV with a very select few being done by John Purdell. Hope this sheds some light on that subject. I haven't even heard those stems GP, I envy you. Anyway, take care everyone and see you out there.

James Labrie
2 mins ·

The album I was referring to was the Awake album. Have to check some of those out.

Holy crap. That just blew my mind!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:28 AM »
Dude, I just saw that!   :yarr

We have got a lurker here, eh?

Anyway GP, even though I haven't commented on this thread in a while (I dont have much to add) I just want to say that I still love hearing these stems.  Of course, praise from me pales in comparison to the praise you just got.