Author Topic: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Lines In The Sand  (Read 10363 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Lines In The Sand
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
So, as some of you may know, I pretty much bought out the vocals for the entire DT catalog that's available on Jammit, which basically means I have access to vocal stems for a lot of DT songs. Listening to these, there are quite a few very interesting little things that I never really heard before, and even if you have, you might get a completely different experience, listening to them isolated, so I thought I'd share some that I found particularly interesting, so I wanted to share them. I won't post the entire vocal stems for every song, because I'm not even sure I'm allowed to, but I'll post snippets of parts I found particularly interesting. I'll share them one by one, as time goes on, so that we can allow for more discussion on all the individual tracks.

The first one I wanted to share was The Silent Man. It's a pretty straight forward song, but it does hold some VERY interesting backup vocals, some of which I couldn't really hear listening to the album version. So here they are, the first set is just the backup vocals from the first chorus, and the second set is both main and backup vocals from the second chorus, with the backup vocals turned up louder to accentuate the harmonies.

Pay attention, in particular to the backup vocals for the end of the chorus, "If they have to suffer". I couldn't hear that at all on the album, and I think it sounds very pleasant if not jarring at first.

The Silent Man

Sample 2: Caught In A Web backup vocals to the chorus. Sung by John Purdell.

Caught In A Web

Sample 3: Various backup vocals from Home.

Home

Sample 4: Various backup vocals from Voices.

Voices

Sample 5: Octavarium, mainly backup vocals, but also included the main vocals for Intervals. Some interesting stuff!

Octavarium

Sample 6: Learning To Live, backup and some select lead vocals.

Learning To Live

Sample 7: Lines In The Sand, backup vocals as well as the Doug Pinnick parts.

Lines In The Sand
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:50:51 PM by TheGreatPretender »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline tuto

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. The Silent Man
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
Wow!! You are right, I had just noticed a few, but had no idea there were so many details in each one of them.Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »
I've always heard those on the album, except the low pedal note E that doubles the lines. That one I still can't really hear on the album.
But I do love hearing isolated tracks like this! You hear the tonal quality of the voices in a way that you can't on the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »
Well, you clearly have a better ear than I do, haha. When I heard that "To suffer" line, it blew my mind. There are so many amazing backup vocal parts on Awake. All in due time!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »
"When there is balance" and "if they have to suffer" lines can't be James, can it?  My first thought was Petrucci but A) I don't think he was doing backing vocals on Awake and B ) that really doesn't sound like him. 

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
"When there is balance" and "if they have to suffer" lines can't be James, can it?  My first thought was Petrucci but A) I don't think he was doing backing vocals on Awake and B ) that really doesn't sound like him.

I can't remember his name, it was one of the recording engineers. He did a lot of backup vocals for Awake. I had the same reaction when I first heard backup vocals to Caught In A Web and it was this totally foreign voice singing them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »

I can't remember his name, it was one of the recording engineers. He did a lot of backup vocals for Awake. I had the same reaction when I first heard backup vocals to Caught In A Web and it was this totally foreign voice singing them.

I recall the thread about that a while back. Am I remembering wrong, or did he die? Those backups on CIAW were awesome.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
I recall the thread about that a while back. Am I remembering wrong, or did he die? Those backups on CIAW were awesome.

Now that I'm looking it up, I believe it WAS John Purdell who did the backup vocals. And yes, he did die, sadly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Purdell

And yeah, I'll be sure to share the CIAW backups again eventually.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
I think in a commentary for the drum cam of either LaB or Score Mike Portnoy said that he has a copy of John Purdell singing a lot of Ozzy's songs for No More Tears since, ya know, Ozzy relies on other people to write for him.  It was used so Ozzy could learn the parts.  What I wouldnt fucking give to hear that!

Anyway, I didn't know Purdell did backup vocals for Awake.  Crazy! 

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
Well, since we're on the subject of the late Mr. Purdell, here's the next sample for those who haven't heard it. The legendary Caught In A Web backup vocals:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZa0NmS0dmdk1kazA/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:49:53 AM by TheGreatPretender »

Offline Invisible

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Caught In A Web
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
Can't listen to the second link :-\

Those backup vocals in The Silent Man are amazing, while I heard most of those, the are some like the low voice than I never noticed. It's great when you can hear the stems and then you listen to the actual tracks with completely different ears.

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Caught In A Web
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:39 AM »
That's weird, the file I was editing didn't save correctly for some reason. Either way, it's fixed now, so go ahead!

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Home
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZczlXNmFNcjZIWnM/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some various backup vocals from home.
The first is the perfect example of what I didn't like about MP's vocals. Just such a whiny tone to his clean notes.
The second is harmonized with JLB, which is much better.
After that, it's the quietly spoken party from JLB right before the second verse.

After that, that's probably my favorite and most interesting part! The vocals you hear behind "Her ecstacy means so much to me," and that whole section in Chorus 1 and 2, I could always hear that there was some singing in the background, but I could never make it out.
Awesomely enough, they're singing, "Love, Deceit, Death", which is the backwards order of the 3 dances from Metropolis Part 1. That I thought was really awesome!
And lastly, you get to hear the harmony vocals to the last part of the chorus, which I thought were pretty cool.

Also, I couldn't resist posting this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7sXuCMYLhpZdUQ3bE9LMnBRX0U/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Invisible

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
Wow, thanks!! That Caught In A Web was amazing! They should hire that guy for backups. :lol

Yeah, Mike's voice clean... no good, I never actually minded them on the record though. Of course, James harmonizing with himself is always better. The Love, Deceit, Death part I never picked it up either(I knew something was there but didn't understand), amazing! :omg:

And the My Brotha all I can say is: :rollin :clap:

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
Hey! This is nice! Can't you upload Metropolis Pt. 1's vocals? I'm dying to find the stems for that song, but Jammit is way too expensive.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
I always said MP's voice is fine for background harmony, and those vocal.s are no exception. It's just when he gets the idea to do main vocals, that's when it all falls apart (and requires major audio surgery)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
I always said MP's voice is fine for background harmony, and those vocal.s are no exception. It's just when he gets the idea to do main vocals, that's when it all falls apart (and requires major audio surgery)

100% agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »
File won't let me download, but I've always loved MP's backup vocals, and Home is one of the better ones, especially that chorus with JP. That contrast of voices is really missing on the last 2 albums imo (especially ADTOE, which is vocally very sparse and bland).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
I have always heard "If they have to suffer". How can you not? Really curious.

Edit: Oh, the backing vocals? I still hear it, but this is still cool.

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:56 AM »
File won't let me download, but I've always loved MP's backup vocals, and Home is one of the better ones, especially that chorus with JP. That contrast of voices is really missing on the last 2 albums imo (especially ADTOE, which is vocally very sparse and bland).

Ah man, you're missing out. Why won't it let you download?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »

I have the same problem, seems like there is only a limited number of downloads allowed in one day or something like that.

I have always heard "If they have to suffer". How can you not? Really curious.

This, I don't really see how you could miss it :huh:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »

What aprilethereal said. Says something about reaching the limit. I really wanted to hear it too, because I love hearing isolated tracks, and have collected quite a few multitracks.

Seconding the "if they have to suffer" thing. I sometimes sing that harmony when listening to it. The only part on the isolated track that I never heard clearly on the album was the low E that I mentioned before. The higher harmonies are pretty clear.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
This, I don't really see how you could miss it :huh:

I knew here was a harmony, I guess I just never really paid attention to what note was actually being sung or the quality of the voice. The main melody was always at the forefront and that's what my ear always caught. Of course, now I can't unhear the harmony when I listen to the studio version.  :lol

As for the download limit... Guys! If you're gonna download the damn thing, at least make a comment on it, you lazy bums! I can see the view count.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Sorry for not commenting :-[
I really like those CIAW backup vocals, someone needs to make 10 hours version of it :lol
And in Silent Man, I didn't know James was doing that massive vibrato back then, I really haven't heard it in song.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
You don't have to apologize. There just seem to be people who are commenting, and they're not even getting to hear the samples... Speaking of which, I'll reupload them onto a better server, I think.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »
I get it.
Do you have Dropbox? Great service.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

The Silent Man

Caught In A Web

Home

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »
Those Home backups were really interesting to hear, cool idea man, thanks!

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
Yeah, well, I think there are some really interesting passages in a lot of DT songs, and it'd be much more fun to actually have people to discuss them with.  :tup

Offline aprilethereal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 01:21:40 AM »
I think this is a great thread! If there is any other interesting sections, I want definitely to hear them!

One note: I don't understand people's hate towards MP's vocals. They sound really nice for me. Good background singer IMO.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:53 AM »
I think this is a great thread! If there is any other interesting sections, I want definitely to hear them!

One note: I don't understand people's hate towards MP's vocals. They sound really nice for me. Good background singer IMO.

Well, I guess whether you like someone's voice or not is a matter of taste. And yeah, there are plenty of interesting sections I'll be sharing with you guys soon!

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
Yeah, I've been slacking. Here are some backup vocals for Voices.

The first part is the pre-chorus harmonies, which aren't anything too special, but pretty cool non the less.

The next part is that little spoken word part, which I thought was Portnoy, but... Apparently not??

The third part is the most interesting to me. It's the quiet harmonies to the "I'm kneeling on the floor" part, and honestly, given the song's subject matter, something about the way the lyrics are half-whispered, makes it sound a bit creepy, and indeed insane. I really like it!

The last part is the harmonies to "Seen my diary on the newsstand." Again, nothing too crazy, but I thought it was cool non the less.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw43aya7mjn8bu6/Voices.mp3

Offline krands85

Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Voices
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
Thanks for these, really cool! That whispered part in Voices is definitely a bit creepy when it's isolated like that!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Deconstructing DT Vocals v. Voices
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
The next part is that little spoken word part, which I thought was Portnoy, but... Apparently not??

It was that rapper dude who was in the studio at the time.

Nothing too exciting in these vocals. Powerful lead vocals, but nothing fancy with the rest. Innocence Faded would be an interesting one for that album.