Author Topic: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #1 ...to find the answers inside our illusive mind!  (Read 30301 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #34 Why don't you remember my name?
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 03:03:01 AM »
I think the praise/hype around OK Computer is somewhat overblown. It's a great album, but Kid A is much much better in my opinion. And I wouldn't even rank OK Computer among Radiohead's top3 albums. Even if you don't like electronic Radiohead, I'd say In Rainbows is a better alternative rock album.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:34 AM »
Eh, I'd rank OK Computer #2 to Kid A. Hail to the Thief might actually be my #3.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
I think the praise/hype around OK Computer is somewhat overblown. It's a great album, but Kid A is much much better in my opinion. And I wouldn't even rank OK Computer among Radiohead's top3 albums. Even if you don't like electronic Radiohead, I'd say In Rainbows is a better alternative rock album.

I'm inclined to agree with this. OKC is good, but Kid A almost blows it out of the water.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

I'm inclined to agree with this. OKC is good, but Kid A almost blows it out of the water.
I have listened to Kid A a few times, but it kind of bores me. It might be a grower, but it doesn't do much for me, really.

Sorry for disappearing guys, I've been really busy these days, but now I have a bit more time for some updates. Have some pills.

Fear of a Blank Planet
Porcupine Tree

Dat reprise of Trains in Sentimental  :heart

Who are these?
One of the most praised bands here and the main project of Steven Wilson. Nowadays, he’s focusing on his solo career, as well as his band mates, so they’re in a kind of undefined hiatus by now. I just hope they reunite soon, either for another album or just a tour — I don’t wanna die without haven’t seen these guys live.

How does it sound like?
Fear of a Blank Planet takes you on a dark,  bleak journey about Wilson’s pessimistic vision of modern youth. Even if you don’t agree agree with the lyrical content, it’s hard to deny how well the songs’ melancholy and atmosphere reflect what they try to say. Some people complain about the lyrics, but this thing is, it wouldn’t have worked if they weren’t so explicit — sometimes subtlety isn’t the best way.

Here we find PT at their most ambitious, and they really accomplished what they pretended: make a great memorable album (I’m looking at you, The Incident). Unlike most of their records, this actually feels as a whole, cohesive effort rather than a bunch of good songs — it can easily be seen as a concept album, at least in the sense that all the songs share a common theme and sound.

It might be their heaviest album, because there are some serious intense sections like on the middle of Anesthetize, but it is also one of their softest. And arguably their most experimental. Porcupine Tree usually have an eclectic sound, taking influences from almost every genre you can think of, even “obscure” ones as drone and avant-garde, but what they have done here is a tremendous feat: reinvent themselves without loosing their signature sound. 

I won’t go on further since it’s probable you have already heard it; but if you haven’t, please, give this a listen.

Recommended songs: Fear of a Blank Planet

Something personal
Steven Wilson has said PT are not prog. But I do think they really are, at least in the sense that they follow the same spirit from 70's progressive bands, not with all the wankery but with the desire of pushing all the limits, forgetting about genres and make rock music as a truly form of art. I might actually consider them as smart music, because their songwriting is just brilliants and their tunes have lots of tiny details, waiting for you to discover them. With each listen, I find a new sound here, a little nuance I didn’t notice before there. You get the point. And even with all those layers, everything sounds pristine clear, thanks to Steven’s obsession on sound quality.

Oh, and even when some sections can be a bit boring, the choruses are all stellar. Not even a single bad one. Period.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been listening to PT a lot recently (again), and I must say, In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP do totally deserve all the praise they get. Great pick here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #35 Iceland's legacy
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
Well, I think everybody know who these  are — a really popular alternative rock band that actually makes decent music.

Just "decent"?  :censored

:biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Terrific album. So incredibly dynamic and memorable.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Great list, good to see someone who listens to both King Crimson and Burial!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #32 Get all that you deserve
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
I've been listening to PT a lot recently (again), and I must say, In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP do totally deserve all the praise they get.
Totally agreed. I like to think about them as the band's holy trinity or something like that.

Just "decent"?  :censored

:biggrin:
:neverusethis:

Great list, good to see someone who listens to both King Crimson and Burial!
Thanks! Although I'm in a prog snob phase most of the time now, I try to have an eclectic taste. I've even discovered some tasty albums that will make my v2 list next year.

Because you've been nice and I've had some free time, have another Wilson album.

Insurgentes
Steven Wilson

And here we have a pic of Steven giving a fuck about cover design

Who are these?
I think the picture explains itself.

How does it sound like?
The first solo album of the new prog-guru Wilson is dark. Hell dark. And a bit depressing — just like most of his stuff. It also covers everything Steven has made on Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Bass Communnion, I.E.M., Blackfield and some new influences — without even loosing the flow for a second. And that’s quite impressive when you have such a mix of pop, rock, prog, electronica, shoegazer, jazz, krautrock, soundtrack-like soundscapes and even a bit of grunge. 

So yeah, this is quite a diverse album, and if you’re used to that kind of stuff, you’ll be pleased. Otherwise, it might be hard for you to get the whole thing.

Recommended songs: Harmony Korine, Abandoner

Something personal
I swear I try, but every time I listen it, the only song I can identify is the opener — the rest of the album really sounds as a whole, so that I can’t distinguish the other tunes. But it isn’t a bad thing at all, no. It might be a sign of how well this album is arranged and the great talent of Wilson. I’m really looking forward to listening his new stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #32 Get all that you deserve
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
With that hint I thought it was going to be Marillion's marillion.com album

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #31 I've been conceiving you for too long
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
With that hint I thought it was going to be Marillion's marillion.com album
Never heard an album of theirs, although Misplaced Childhood sees to receive lots of praise, so I might check it some day.

Anyways, the last album before we enter the top 30! Notice that from here on, all this albums have a special place in my heart and these artists are some of my favorites, so it will be full with just 5 or 6 bands and a few exceptions. Enjoy!

Second Life Syndrome
Riverside

Finally, a good cover for a prog album

Who are these?
The most consistent prog metal band (in terms of quality) from the last decade, and one of the best things that Poland has crafted. Seriously, these guys haven’t released a single bad album.

How does it sound like?
Unlike most Dream Theater clones out there, these guys feel more like Pink Floyd meets metal, mixed with Porcupine Tree, Tool and a few death elements. So you are right if you thought this is a dark album — because it really is. The gloomy atmosphere, Duda’s amazing voice and vocal lines, the unique band sound and the original compositions serve to make an outstanding concept album feel like a journey.

It is certainly progressive metal, not because it reminds of it’s influences, or due to the overuse of musical masturbation (aka wankery) but for it truly makes a progression for the genre, quality-wise. Damn, it even takes it’s influences to another level, tweaking them into their own style — it even manages to do Tool better than Tool themselves (notice my dislike for Tool). It might be the only reason this is called prog, as it was very little wankery, and the little it has is just for the feelings sake, not for the technical display.

So, is Lateralus the Dark Side of the Moon of metal? Nope — that’s Second Life Syndrome. Period.

Recommended songs: Volte-Face, Conceiving You, Second Life Syndrome

Something personal
Albums like this make me believe that both prog and music nowadays are better than ever, a sign that there’s no need of complex structures, multiple tempo changes and nerdy stuff, because the secret of great music, no matter the genre, relies on smart songwriting — it’s a timeless recipe.

About my Tool comments, I have to say I have a problem with the band: I love their style, perfectly showcased on Lateralus’ opener, The Grudge, but I like neither their songs nor their approach. But I do love how bands like Riverside take that sound and makes it into great songs and albums. Curious thing, isn’t it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:37:10 PM by Sacul »

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #31 I've been conceiving you for too long
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
FOABP would probably be about 30 places higher on my list but I appreciate to see it anywhere :)
Insurgents is album I'm really not into but I have to listen to it few more times.
And SLS is my fourth favourite Riverside album so you can see how much I love them. Best thing Poland gave us :heart
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #31 I've been conceiving you for too long
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
SLS is amazing, though it's not my favourite Riverside album - that honour belongs to ADHD. Still, second place in a discog like Riverside's ain't too shabby. Dance With the Shadow might just be a Top 3 Riverside song for me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #30 What's going on in Serbia?
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »
And now, inaugurating the top 30, one of my fav artists. Everybody on Earth should listen to this guy's music :biggrin:.

Bilo 2.0
David Maxim Micic

Djent doesn't get too much better than this, really.

Who is this?
David Maxim Micic is a guitar/keyboard player, composer and producer from Belgrade, Serbia, and a student at Berklee College of Music. By the age of 20, he had composed, recorded and produced over 8 hours of original music, written music for commercials, movies and TV series, and produced and arranged for many great musicians, mostly from Eastern Europe. He has had the privilege to study guitar with many great teachers, including Danilo Karamarkovic, Petar Jelic, Bata Kostic, Nenad Gajin Coca, Joe Musella, Thaddeus Hogarth and David Fiuczynski.
- SputnikMusic
It should also be noticed that Micic arranges, produces and mixes all his albums. And all of them sound awesome. Oh, and he's the main composer of Destiny Potato, so if liked Lun, pay attention to this.

How does it sound like?
It’d be wrong to start saying that David’s music is just djent, because 1) that wouldn’t explain enough his abilities and 2) his songs go beyond than just simple “djent”. Yes, his songs are based on math rock that bands like Meshuggah or Periphery play; yes, it has those harmonic elements from the Petrucci — Rudess duo; and yes, it has lots of experimentation going on, and that’s exactly what gives David it’s characteristic sound. But despite it’s influences, he sound as anything you’ll ever hear.

Imagine a mix of Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, Arch enemy, Jazz, Periphery, The Mars Volta, electronic elements, Serbian folk and lots of good taste. Unlike most djent bands, this guy doesn’t abuse of down-tuned guitars — in fact, he uses them sparingly; he even manages to sound precise and mathematical without loosing the feeling at all. And while his compositions are mainly instrumental, you may find some female vocals here and there and even some opera (like in Mbinguni Amina).

On his second EP, which lasts just half an a hour, David manages to take his influences to another level, redefine his sound, and continue experimenting. Bilo 2.0 is full of jazz, electronica, badass riffs and feelings. And don’t worry about musical masturbation, because David is more about giving eargasms without sounding technical. In a music world full of crap, is wonderful to find such refreshing and original stuff like this.

Recommended songs: Along for the Ride, Mbinguni Amina

Something personal
I’m amazed by how such a young guy can be so… amazing. But then I remember that most of the innovation in music came from young musicians such as The Beatles, King Crimson, Dream Theater, etc. I hope David keeps young and kicking asses with his six-string guitars for so many years. It’d be great if Destiny Potato became more popular, so that would give him more exposition on the prog metal scene.

And this won’t be the last album from him you’ll see here ;).

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #30 What's going on in Serbia?
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:56 AM »
Lun is pretty damn great, so I might have to give this one a try as well.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #29-28 I see you, you're everywhere I go
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
Lun is pretty damn great, so I might have to give this one a try as well.
I hope you have had a great time with it ;)

Now folks, I've been really busy these days, bu now I'll have a lot more time for this, so I might speed up the pace a bit. Enjoy a double update, you deserve it.

Blackfield II
Blackfield

I still can't find where the "II" is on this image, really

Who are these?
Once upon a time, a big Porcupine Tree fan invited the band to play in Israel back in 2000. A friendship grew among them and after making some collaborations with Porcupine Tree (like backing vocals on The Sound of Musak and Prodigal), Geffen convinced Wilson to start making some music together. However, unlike PT, Geffen didn’t like long, complex songs, so they both decided to make short, melancholic and pop-ish tunes.

How does it sound like?
When I read this was Steven’s most straightforward and pop-like record, I thought it’d be pure crap. But because it had the Wilson brand, I gave it a try. And I have to say, this isn’t your typical “mainstream” album.

Sure, it uses lots of major scales, catchy choruses and melodies, and the songs are quite short. But, because Wilson composed a big part of this, you’ll also find lots of unusual sounds (for the genre), strings here and there, a smart songwriting, great transitions and all the stuff from his happier PT songs.

It also has shows a great balance between happy, sad, and melancholic moods, although the last one plays a major role in the general mood and atmosphere. And the lyrics, if I recall accurately, seem to be very introspective, dealing with love, mainly failed relationships, but also evoking disturbed pasts or even humanity in its vast sense.

Recommended songs: Miss U, The End of the World

Something personal
Although it’s a song-driven record, I’m amazed by how well it all flows as a whole thing. It’s an overwhelming listen even when it’s on the background, when I’m doing something else. I’m sure Wilson has something to do with it.

Even after a few listens, it left me cold at the beginning. /it just wasn’t my thing, I thought. Then one day, while working out, I listened to it, giving it a last chance before deleting it from my Sansa Clip+. And it damn clicked, so hard. My workout was great, but it was nothing compared with how my mind was blown away. This is really a beautiful album.

We're Here Because We're Here
Anathema

Don't dare to say these guys are cheesy—cheese would kill to be like them

Who are these?
After releasing A Natural disaster (back in 2003) and a 7-year hiatus, Anathema signed with Kscope and released an album that divided it’s fanbase. There where (and still are) people that prefered their old dark-sad stuff while other praised the new approach. Just a few loved both.

How does it sound like?
Unlike doing the same gloomy stuff (which is quite good, actually), they took another step into their sound, incorporating an overwhelming sense of happiness and a up-lifting atmosphere. Even Lee Douglas, who seemed nothing more than a back singer, although now has a more predominant role, Vincent still occupies the microphone most of the time — but since his voice’s has such a powerful expression and a lovely color, I can’t really complain.

Beware of this album, for it should be listened during daylight because, otherwise, it won’t really click on you or it’s impact won’t be the same at least. Some people say it’s better during the sunset, other prefer it during the sunrise, to start a brand new day in such a great mood. No matter the moment you listen to it, always try to be really happy — or, the other way round, it may make you feel better if you’re sullen.

Oh, and Steven Wilson mixed this album, so needless to say the production is really awesome and clear, specially the vocals and the strings.

Recommended songs: Angels Walk Among Us, Universal

Something personal
I have a theory that every album needs a certain mood to be better approached and appreciated. Think about it. If you’re really excited, a post-rock record will bore you, unlike some trve metal. If you are happy with your life, a Steven Wilson album may ruin your day. And so on.

So that’s how this album clicked on me. I tried to listen to it several times, but it really bored me and was kind of cheesy. But one sunny day that I was quite joyful, listening to it was glorious. The songs were really powerful musically — mainly because I didn’t know the lyrics, but what the hell, these guys make some really honest music. The y give a fuck about popularity of if their albums are well received by fans — when they enter the studio, they forget everything else and make the music they have on their hearts.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #29-28 I see you, you're everywhere I go
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
2 fantastic albums.

Offline adace

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #29-28 I see you, you're everywhere I go
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »
Haven't really listened to Blackfield, but WHBWH is glorious.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #27 The sun is far away...
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
Enjoy a hauntingly beautiful piece of art.

Shadows of the Sun
Ulver

You, me, a dark room, and this album — think it.

Who are these?
There are some bands that keep doing the same thing for ages. Some change at some point of their career, normally splitting their fanbase. And just a few evolve with every album, making great music no matter the genre they’re focusing on. That’s the case of Ulver, one of the most eclectic bands I’ve ever heard. They started as a black metal group, releasing some of the best albums of the genre. And then, at the beginning of the new millennium, they radically changed their sound, and metal fade away, completely. During all the 00's they did a lot of experimentation with ambient, jazz, avant-garde, electronica, neoclassical and more obscure stuff.

However, although fans tend to praise Perdition City (2000) as their best effort, I believe it was just the beginning of a whole process that culminated in 2007 with Shadows of the Sun, their masterpiece.

How does it sound like?
If I had to describe to describe this album with just a singe word, it’d be intense. And by that I mean emotionally intense, because it actually has a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere, but the subtlety used to present the emotions comes from listening to it all at the same time and it can really strike you if you’re on the mood. Specially if you’re using headphones on a dark room.

These guys have always done really dark music, it’s a part of them I hope they never let go. But Shadows of the Sun is not also dark, but even… sad? Yeah, it can be a bit depressive at times, but that’s something really unusual on these guys. Better, IMO, because it really feels way more intimate and personal than the rest of their discography. And that’s something I really appreciate — music being honest.

All in all, it’s dark ambient album that’s full of beautiful melodies, memorable moments, that will surely give you chills. Anybody interested in music beyond prog should definitely listen to this record and the band, as it will open your mind to new music that you didn’t even imagined existed.

Recommended songs: EOS, Let the Children Go

Something personal
Messe was a pleasant surprise last year, and after asking another albums from these guys, somebody recommended me both Perdition City and Shadows of the Sun. While I enjoyed both from the first time, this one have grown on me and stood firmly on my playlist for several months. I don’t have too much more to say other than this is a really wonderful piece of art, and that I’d love you to recommend me albums on this same vein — dark, peaceful, and beautiful.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:39 AM »
I love Shadows of the Sun so much. Probably my favourite Ulver album, that or Bergtatt.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
Blackfield II and WHBWH are great albums but not my favorites by Blackfield and Anathema. I heard only good things about Ulver but never gave them proper listen.
BTW, your list is great so far with many albums I adore and I can assume I'd like those I don't know so thank you :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:53 AM »
BTW, your list is great so far with many albums I adore and I can assume I'd like those I don't know so thank you :D
Thanks! You should check my next update ;)

Offline adace

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Two more great albums. Excellent list so far :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #26 For the Destiny Potato lovers...
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
Do you even djent?

Bilo 1.0 EP
David Maxim Micic

Djent isn't as varied and original as this.

Who is this?
Destiny Potato’s guitarist, keyboardist, and main songwriter.

How does it sound like?
Although it’s David’s debut album, it actually feels quite mature and it never overplays. I guess he was quite into Periphery during the recording of this, because this is definitely his most djent-ish record. But don’t worry, because that’s only an influence — this has just a few down-tuned guitars at all. Although it’s mainly instrumental, it’s nothing like Animals as Leaders, no — this has a smart songwriting and melody ;).

I kind of described his signature sound before at #30, but I’d like to point out a few things. First, Bilo 2.0 was more about jazz with metal and experimentation, and this is a bit more straightforward, but in the sense that there are not-so-crazy experiments and this is way more memorable. And second, these songs were composed at the same time most of Destiny Potato’s Lun, as that album was a re-recording of songs David had been writing with Aleksandra Djelmas (Potato’s singer) for almost 9 years. Thus, there are some similarities.

So if you liked the heaviness of Lun, you shouldn’t ignore Bilo 1.0 — this is djent that actually doesn’t suck at all. And it's an EP with just 4 songs, thus it's a quick but satisfying listen. If exists a god-tier for the genre, David’s albums would definitely be there.

Recommended song: Bilo Part IV

Something personal
This was my introduction to Micic’s music back in 2012, thus I’ve been following his stuff since then. And I have to say, this guy and his band (Destiny Potato) have the potential to be one of the best prog metal acts from the last years, along with Haken and Riverside.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:19:26 AM by Sacul »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
Although it’s mainly instrumental, it’s nothing like Animals as Leaders, no — this has a smart songwriting and melody ;).

Low blow, isn't it? :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
Although it’s mainly instrumental, it’s nothing like Animals as Leaders, no — this has a smart songwriting and melody ;).

Low blow, isn't it? :neverusethis:
:neverusethis:

Next update in a few hours.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #25-24 Falling Into Alternative
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
I wasn't too inspired on my writeups this time. Oh well, it isn't like it matters too much, since you might know these albums.

Alternative 4
Anathema

A bright cover for such a dark album

Who is this?
One of my fav bands, and one that gets lots of praise here.

How does it sound like?
Although Eternity seemed like their separation from their past doom/death metal style, it wasn’t until Alternative 4 that the band gave up on metal, but retained their characteristic gloomy, sad atmosphere, depressing lyrics, and highly emotional output. This and it’s following album are some of the best the band has done, and fans of their older style tend to prefer these to their new stuff. You can’t blame them really — 7 years hoping for a new album, and they received something really different in style, like it was a different band. Well, you can’t please everybody, really.

There isn’t too much more to say, other than Anathema really manages to get you to a emotional point, give you chills. Together with that, there’s another thing the bad has kept almost since their formation, an element that is present today more than ever: beauty. Even dark stuff like this has it’s own beauty, and you can feel how well the atmosphere is crafted by the Cavanagh brothers. Some people may call them cheesy, or a bit too dramatic, but then they must be the greatest cheese ever done.

Recommended songs: Fragile Dreams, Lost Control, Regret

Something personal
I’m amazed by how well this album flows, even though the songs have a more individual approach. And it’s great how varied it is, it never overplays too much. I can see why Fragile Dream is a fan-favorite.

Falling Into Infinity
Dream theater

I don't get how the guy who designed Dark Side of the Moon's cover did this crap

Who is this?
Seriously, these guys keep popping up on my music player and I can’t find any info about them on the Uncyclopedia.

How does it sound like?
This is a kind of awkward yet amazing effort to make prog a bit more commercial. And although fans tend to dislike most of the songs here, I find it quite awesome. Yeah, some songs aren’t as good as Trial of Tears or Peruvian Skies, but what the hell, even Burning My soul is great. And yeah, some songs that didn’t make the album are better than some that did, like Raise the Knife or the demo of Take Away My Pain.

Recommended songs: Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears

Something personal
Even though it has several flaws, I can’t but love it all. The choruses are catchy, James sounds good despite the food poisoning,  the production is clear, and most of the songs feel epic. I won’t say too much because we’re on a DT forum and I’m sure you might have already heard this one.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING FII ON YOUR LIST :heart

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
NOTHING YOU DO WILL EVER SURPRISE ME ANYMORE, SACUL.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING FII ON YOUR LIST :heart
I love you too, then :heart

NOTHING YOU DO WILL EVER SURPRISE ME ANYMORE, SACUL.
I have a little surprise on the next update and on the top 10 ;)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »
Yup. FII is one of the best DT albums

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #23-22 A Fine Day for Mindcrime
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
Ok, the surprise will be on the following update, I promise :lol.

A Fine Day to Exit
Anathema

A fine day to go to the beach it seems

Who are these?
Yeah, Anathema again.

How does it sound like?
Normally overlooked and underrated among their amazing discography, A Fine Day to Exit sits somewhere between radio-friendly bands like Coldplay and Radiohead, and more gloomy acts like Tool or Katatonia — even Pink Floyd. However, although the pace is kind of slow, speedier songs like Underworld and Panic really help to keep the attention of the listener with fast riffs and vocal lines, and make the album a lot more interesting.

Vincent Cavanagh makes a magnificent performance, not because he’s a technically gifted singer with a huge vocal range and the ability to sing in lots of different styles, no — his deliver is pure emotion, say with whispered, moody vocals as in the closer “Temporary Peace”, anguished shrieks of “Panic”, he delivers a heartfelt and emotional performance that underlines the main attraction and value of Anathema’s musical approach: honesty. Their music comes from the heart and goes directly to yours.

But not everything is bleak. Yes, the general theme is kind of agonising, exasperating and sad, with each line talking about pain, and fears. But the closer track ends with a more uplifting theme, leaving you with hope that things will be better in the future. And when, as a listener, you are able to be left with that feeling of hope after going through such despair, you know you’re in front of something really, really good.

Recommended songs: Pressure, Panic

Something personal
This is a really strong album, and it used to hold #2 on my top Anathema records, but some albums have just surpassed it by begins a bit more awesome. But just by a bit ;). So guys, from here on, most of these records are from just a few artists, with some exceptions of course, but don’t expect a lot of variety from now on, just surprises.

Operation: Mindcrime
Queensryche

The cover would be better without that yellow thing on the middle

Who are these?
Before Dream Theater, there was a band that was combining a bit of progressive rock with heavy metal, in a time when you either like prog or metal. Liking both seemed like a heresy then — today it’s something a bit more common. So one day this band comes out of nowhere, releases two decent albums, and, surprising both the scene and the band itself, they come out with a masterpiece, a concept album that showed that both prog and metal could exist and still make great music. An album that made a generation of young bands believe that there was hope on the so called “prog metal”.

Queensryche, Dream Theater and Fates Warning form the holy trinity of prog metal, as they are not only the biggest bands of the genre, but they still are the point of reference for the future bands of the genre and a huge influence for artists that don’t even make music like this.

How does it sound like?
This is the band’s creative peak, their absolute zenith, which only descended a bit up to Promised Land, the last great album before the huge amount of musical diarrhea that followed it. It basically tells the story of a would-be revolutionary who reluctantly becomes involved with a political group as an assassin. Then the story unfolds along with the music in a superb way, proving that this is one of the best concept albums ever crafted.

Concept albums are of course intended to be listened as a whole but such is the quality of the individual songs here that the album can still be highly enjoyed when listening to some tunes out the record’s context. That amazing is how varied this album can be with 15 songs, never overplaying too much and keeping the listener hooked. 

The musicianship displayed here shows the band where clearly inspired, as shown by Geoff Tate’s mind-blowing performance, Chris DeGarmo’s intense riffs and the precise yet exciting drums fill by Scott Rockenfield. This is truly an essential album for anybody interested on prog metal.

Recommended songs: Revolution Calling, Spreading the Disease, Speak.

Something personal
I have seen so many bands trying to imitate ‘Ryche style, but all of them fail to capture the uniqueness of the band, specially those acoustic guitars. These guys do their thing better that any other clone.

It took me a time to get into this one, but once it clicked, it has stood on me since. Although there is more metal than prog, I can see why it is regarded as one of the best thing both genre have seen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #23-22 A Fine Day for Mindcrime
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »
Mindcrime rules!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #23-22 A Fine Day for Mindcrime
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
I remember hearing it at a party before it was officially released and a bunch of dudes, (me included) pissed off our girlfriends and hung around the stereo listening to it.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC