Author Topic: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #1 ...to find the answers inside our illusive mind!  (Read 30288 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Great album but not my favorite by PT. But some of my favorite songs ever are there, Heartattack in a layby, Trains, Blackest eyes
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Great album but not my favorite by PT. But some of my favorite songs ever are there, Heartattack in a layby, Trains, Blackest eyes
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Heartattack in a layby is my favorite Porcupine Tree song. I wish SW did vocal arrangement like those more often.
He does some of them on Storm Corrosion if I'm not wrong.

:tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. The calm before the storm...
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
Six Degrees of Inner turbulence

:hefdaddy Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence :hefdaddy
 :heart
Dream Theater :heart

Disc 2 is the pinnacle of rock music. -Nicmos, on his top 50.

How does it sound like?
The most perfect thing I've ever heard. Every note, every detail, each lyric is so well constructed that I don't get how just 5 guys made such a masterpiece, and even managed to make a god-like 42 minute songs. DT went to the studio with lots of motivations and new influences from the new millenium like Radiohead and Tool and blend them together plus their own sound and mixed it all with lots of experimentation. Lots. The result? A double album, the first disc containing 6 long songs, each one different from the other on mood and style yet they flow perfectly, and an epic self-titled song.

It's heavy, it's melodic; it's beautiful, it's weird; it's hard to digest yet has some accessible songs; it's brutal, it's calm; it's long, it's short; it has some wankery, it has a smart songwriting - it's everything I love about music and Dream Theater. No other album resonates that hard with me. Hell, it's like this album was made by/for me.

Recommended songs: All the damn thing.

Something personal
I'll confess that the first time I heard it, I didn't know what to think about it. It took along time, really a long time to digest. It was the last DT album I fully appreciated when I still was a fanboy, and man it has grown and grown. Hearing the Score version of the epic helped a bit. so sad that James fucks it off on Solitary Shell - well, not everything is perfect. But how smart it's written blows me away every time I listen to it, it's amazing how all the movements flow from each other. Insane. I doubt there will ever be another album that makes my top #1.

I don't really know what to say, other than I fucking love this record and all it's songs. Every song from disc on could be my #2 of the album, because my #1 favorite DT and all-time song is in disc 2. Hell, there are so many styles there, so many parts of the DT sound and it all forms an unique masterpiece. About to crash (reprise) is my fav moment in music, ever - my eargasms are unstoppable when I listen to it.

Ok, I know what I've written probably makes no sense, but it's hard for me to describe how much I admire this album and the band. I was even considering buying a turntable just to listen to it's vinyl edition. Oh well. It was a nice thing to do, this top 50, and has kind of improved my English writing (this writeup doesn't count  :lol ) and some people have discovered new bands, so I'm quite happy of the results and will surely do this again next year, just to see how much things have changed. And will use some kind of method to limit the albums per artists, so there aren't like 5 Anathema album on the same tier and like half of DT's discography :biggrin: .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, this one isn't even in my top 5 DT albums.

*hides*

:(
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Third favorite DT album for me. Absolute gem this one is.

Overall a nice list, but it lacks a bit in the variety department for my tastes. I had just dawned on me that like half of DT's discography is on here :lol

Definitely look forward to what your next one will look like though.  :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Overall a nice list, but it lacks a bit in the variety department for my tastes. I had just dawned on me that like half of DT's discography is on here :lol
Oh yeah, I was almost going to not start it because of that, but I already had signed for this thing so what the hell - that's why it says "cheesy" on the title. Or maybe not. I promise more variety next time :biggrin: .

Alright, this one isn't even in my top 5 DT albums.

*hides*

:(
:flame:

Offline Xenon

I'm okay with this.

Offline Outcrier

Why should you limit yourself to a certain number of albums per band? Just put what you love on it, damn  :tup
About your last entry, i think that Six Degrees is their last great album imo (ToT was solid though).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm okay with this.
:tup

Why should you limit yourself to a certain number of albums per band? Just put what you love on it, damn  :tup
I did that, but I just want a bit more variety next time.

So here's the complete list, and it looks cool thanks to Topsters, which has almost every album imaginable. Or that it's on Last.fm.

Offline Xenon

That looks awesome indeed.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Glorious choice  :hefdaddy

This list was awesome! I discovered some cool stuff and overall it was  enjoyable and very relatable . I'm looking forward to do my list, I'm next  :hat
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline adace

Great list! Had fun following it. :tup

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Great list! SDOIT is my #1 as well :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Great list overall :tup
SDOIT is my 4th favourite DZ album but considering how much I love them that's great, I love SDOIT.
Also, I am happy for guessing 3/5 in your top 5 :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glorious choice  :hefdaddy

This list was awesome! I discovered some cool stuff and overall it was  enjoyable and very relatable . I'm looking forward to do my list, I'm next  :hat
Great list! Had fun following it. :tup
I promise more fun next time :neverusethis:

Great list! SDOIT is my #1 as well :tup
:metal

Great list overall :tup
SDOIT is my 4th favourite DZ album but considering how much I love them that's great, I love SDOIT.
Also, I am happy for guessing 3/5 in your top 5 :P
Yeah, you must be a wizard or something like that.

Offline Tomislav95

Shhhhh :P
I just followed your writeups and saw what you like, that's all :D