Author Topic: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #1 ...to find the answers inside our illusive mind!  (Read 30289 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #7 Sometimes the dream becomes reality...
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
It's very different, and actually not well liked here. I guess Arjen was depressed and that affected the music, and admittedly there are a couple goofy numbers, but I love the atmosphere and the vocalists. I mean, come on, you have the amazing and bad ass Hansi Kursch, and an album where I actually like Daniel Gildenlow.

I'll take Electric Castle over THE as well.

Yeah, I think it gets some flak, perhaps for not being as great as some of Arjen's other stuff in their eyes, but I think it's still a great album that holds its own.

Into the Electric Castle is great as well. I definitely still prefer THE over anything else he's done, but it's not like it's by a landslide or anything.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
I never could fully get into that one. The first 3 songs are fine, then I get bored until Love or that other song that had a different name that has a video where 8 foot tall Arjen is jumping in a pool. I'm also not a fan of James LaBrie's performance.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »
THE is amazing. I didn't hear it in a while, have to change that.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I never could fully get into that one. The first 3 songs are fine, then I get bored until Love or that other song that had a different name that has a video where 8 foot tall Arjen is jumping in a pool. I'm also not a fan of James LaBrie's performance.

It took a while for me to really appreciate THE more (then again it is over an hour and half long, so that's to be expected, along with the rest of the Ayreon double albums). The album has that Scenes From a Memory Syndrome in that it works better as a whole rather than just its individual songs. Disc 1 has a lot of nostalgic vibes, perfectly in line with the narrative as Me revisits his childhood. The melodies and instrumentation really strike a chord in achieving that. Disc 2 is a little heavier as it follows Me into adulthood. It just all fits really well.

LaBrie's performance is simply astonishing, personally. He sounds warmer and more emotional than he does on many DT albums in fact, and the rest of the guest vocalists do an amazing job as well. Devin Townsend is PERFECT as Rage, and Mikael equally perfect as Fear. I know Arjen himself as downplayed his own ability to sing, but his role as the Best Friend isn't anything shabby and he gets the job done.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »
One of the few albums that strike me at first listened.
Amazing, I'm not gonna try to describe my feelings about the album because words are not the best way to do it (and because I'm a lazy fuck).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #6 We'll meet again my friend, someday soon...
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
Dream Theater
DT really need to make another concept album

How does it sound like?
Concept albums are probably the most pretentious thing a musician can dare to make. Making a decent song is already difficult and not to talk about how complex is to compose a whole album. But make both things, give it a sense of unity and cohesion and pull out something awesome is either for musicians that are too much in love with themselves or that just wanted to test their abilities to the maximum. It seems the influence of Jordan Rudess played a heavy role on the band to give them the confidence to take such challenge. Queensryche did it before, also Rush, and even Pink Floyd too. So why not?

I think they took the risk because their name and career was in danger and wanted to save both on the best way. Luckily, they not only assured their position as the lead prog metal band but also set the blueprint on how to make concept albums. An unique story, great musicianship, reprises here and there, a memorable atmosphere (there's really no other album out there that sounds like this) and a timeless recording. The recipe for a perfect album.

Recommended songs: Strange Deja-Vú, Through Her Eyes, Home

Something personal
It wasn't until a complete listen some months ago that I realized how amazing it is and how much I love SFAM. It's really a whole journey, an unique experience, that needs to be listened as a whole, because it's better than the sum of it's parts. Taking individual songs isn't as good as listening them in context. Words are not enough to describe how brilliant this album is.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:56:46 PM by Sacul »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #6 We'll meet again my friend, someday soon...
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
The big motherfucker of DT's discography imo. Just about cracks my top 10 as well.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
It's not really necesary (ro possible) to say something about this album, it speaks for itself.
Waiting for further updates in this list  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »
In my top5 :tup
I say it again, we have similar taste in music and I wouldn't be too surprised if any of my top5 albums are in your top5 ;)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2014, 04:44:52 AM »
Sacul, we have very similar tastes! Both these albums are in my top ten  :hat
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »
Sacul, we have very similar tastes! Both these albums are in my top ten  :hat
I say it again, we have similar taste in music and I wouldn't be too surprised if any of my top5 albums are in your top5 ;)
Great! Let's see if you can guess the final albums :neverusethis:.

And now, before entering the top 5, I'd like to make some honorable mentions of albums that either missed the cut or that I discovered after I started to update the list. You might like these :biggrin: .

Honorable Mentions

Suspended Animation Dreams
Subterranean Masquerade

Growls along with piano and trumpets? Ok, enough internet for today

Think of the most genre-redefining music. Got it? Then you might have to reconsider, because you won't find lots of albums that go through totally different genres and style with such perfection as this. I don't even know how to classify what members of November Doom and Agalloch have done here. The progressive metal tag isn't enough to give the whole idea of how varied this album is. At one moment you have a death-metaly section, with blast beats and the cookie monster thing, and on the following there's a beautiful piano section with cleans vocals, then some trumpets emerge along with the monster again and play together. Weird, isn't it? A really though thing to listen, but that gives you a unique experience. Go dig this.

F# A# ∞
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Really need more stuff like this

I discovered this band thanks to Zantera's top artists thread and I've been digging through their discography since. I wasn't sure about putting it on my list when I started this, but this will definitely be included on my v2 next year. Such a great post-rock album (I need to dig more on the genre), with a curious production that makes it "feel" old but without having noise or almost-to-the-dump mellotrons, because al the instruments and even the samples sound really good. It's an instrumental experience, one that goes through lots of moods and feelings. It's one of those cases where music speaks louder than words. Even the calm sections have enough variety to keep me interested through the 3 long songs. You need to listen it to understand it.

Spaces
Nils Frahm

I need to see this man performing live

I used to use Plug.dj a lot, and I continue plugging from time to time now, and on one of my fav rooms, the owner showed us an amazing live performance of this Nils Frahm guy. Enough to say that I was blown away by all the energy and passion he displays live. He's apparently one of the most recognized neoclassical musicians of today. But he goes beyond that, adding lots of electronic keyboard layers and giving his style such an unique sound. And there are enough just-piano pieces for the guys interested on classical music. This is a live album of him playing some of his best songs, bue to a request of recording something that showed all the energy he puts when he plays live. Sadly, some of the tunes are quite boring while other are fawking amazing, and that made this miss the cut. I've sent For - Peter - Toilet Brushes - More, a 15 min compilation of four songs from different albums that flow magnificently from one to the other, to some roulettes and gain some points, so don't leave this thread without hearing it.

Thick As A Brick
Jethro Tull

This is how I like my prog

Jethro Tull is one of the few 70's prog bands that I like, mainly because they do good on not taking themselves too seriously and love to have fun on their albums. Because Thick as a Brick is a really funny record, and I love it. So sad that it drags on the middle with some senseless wankery. But it's still a great album.

Nine
Circus Maximus

I don't get how is that another band doesn't have this name already

Circus Maximus had been criticized for lacking a distinctive style and feeling like a DT clone. And after 5 years of working on it, they finally found it on 2012. Could I say that this is a mix of pop with metal? Well, actually is more like prog metal with some pop vibes here and there, but those little nuances make the album more pleasant to the ear. The first 2 songs are amazing, but the one before the last, Burn After Reading, is definitely the standout track on an album that drags itself a bit on the middle, but that might please listeners of traditional prog metal.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. The calm before the storm...
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
My guesses are: Weather Systems, In Absentia, Ghost Reveries, Six Degrees of Inner turbulence and Remedy Lane.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
THE was my #2 of all time.  ITEC cracked the top 50 as well.  01011001 is a SIGNIFICANT step down from THE.

As for the Ayreon/Arjen discograph, jeez dude... can I finish Zeppelin first?  Probably not gonna be until 2015 sometime that I try to tackle Arjen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »
As for the Ayreon/Arjen discograph, jeez dude... can I finish Zeppelin first?  Probably not gonna be until 2015 sometime that I try to tackle Arjen.
Damn, I forgot you're still busy, sorry dude :facepalm: . Will wait patiently for it though :angel: .

Offline Basekick

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
Awesome list!  I've already discovered some amazing bands (Ulver!!!).  Can't wait to hear the top 5.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »
F# A# ∞ is an amazing record. The soundscapes are equal parts captivating and haunting.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #5 Because I've never seen a light that's so bright
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
Weather Systems
Anathema

I can't get enough of this kind of stuff

How does it sound like?
Feelings. This album is pure feelings. And beauty. It's most beautiful and honest piece of music I've ever heard - these guys put their entire souls here. Along with WHBWH, it's their most uplifting album, but unlike the former, it shares some dark vibes from past albums, mainly on the last songs. The first half remind me of spring and summer, a warm and happy atmosphere that slowly turns into the cold, bleak weather of autumn and winter, to finally return to spring at the end. At least that's how I understand the concept of the album, using weather systems as a representation of life itself. And damn that it works.

Everything here is brilliant. The rock instruments blend together with beautiful strings and the Vincent/Lee duo, who deliver the best performance of their careers, only topped by DS. All in all, it's an emotionally-exhausting journey that always manages to leave me with a big smile on the face. And when something like that happens, you know what kind of album you have just listened.

Recommended songs: Untouchable pt. 1, The Gathering of Clouds, The Beginning and the End

Something personal
Weather Systems used to be higher on my list, mostly at #2 for a long time, but after months of relistening my fav album I've came to the conclusion that I love the others just a bit more, mainly because all of these are 5 out of 5 perfect records in my book. It was really hard to put WS behind the following album, but today I feel I like the following just a little bit more. Just a bit.

Offline Tomislav95

I agree with everything you said. Listening to Weather Systems is like spiritual experience to me :P
And I guessed first one of five right :)

Offline adace

One of my all-time favorite albums. :hefdaddy

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Truly a beautiful album.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Weather Systems is absolutely amazing!

Offline Xenon

I really love the second half of the album starting from The calm Before the storm.

Offline senecadawg2

I'll join the circle jerk.

One of my top 2-3 albums of all time, depending on the day.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #4 Look around and choose your own ground...
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
One of my all-time favorite albums. :hefdaddy
Truly a beautiful album.
Weather Systems is absolutely amazing!
I really love the second half of the album starting from The calm Before the storm.
I'll join the circle jerk.

One of my top 2-3 albums of all time, depending on the day.
Wow, I didn't expect such love for this album, which truly deserves it.

And I guessed first one of five right :)
Oh yeah, but you didn't guess this one :neverusethis:.

The Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd

Only a few albums give such eargasms as this

How does it sound like?
How would you describe this? I normally find a point reference and the influences to talk about the soundscape of an album, but what to say when the record has actually been the influential to countless bands and artists? It might be for it's uniqued dark and peaceful atmosphere, or the amazing flow through all the songs (I haven't heard an album with such flow) or the pristine production or the smart songwriting, or the fact that such a masterpiece had never been done at the time. Or might be all of these reasons. The fact is that, either you like it or not, this might be the single most influential album of all time, and for a good reason. What the hell, even Money was a hit as a single, and it was in 7/4! I really don't know what to say that hasn't been said about it. If you haven't heard it, then don't waste your time and give it a spin. At least you will have listened to it, unlike your hipsters friends.

Recommended songs: Breathe, The Great Gig in the Sky, Money

Something personal
I'm normally meh on old albums mainly because they propose a thing that has been replicated over and over again, and made even better. But there are just a few record that are so cleverly crafted that no musician has ever came with something as unique as it. That's why I love DSOTM, because it's so unique and special, that not even bands who copy it's atmosphere can match the level of mastery reached here. These guys are the fucking masters of their own style.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
It's good album but I find it overrated. Wish You Were Here is for me their best.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:16:56 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
I seem to be one of the few people here who doesn't love DSOTM. Time is amazing though. And you don't have it in recommended songs. Oh well.  :lol

It's good album but I find it overrated. Wish You Were Here for me their best.

100% this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
Second only to Wish You Were Here for me. Still a fantastic album. :hefdaddy

Offline Xenon

« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
SPOILER

Best fucking album ever

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »
It's good album but I find it overrated. Wish You Were Here is for me their best.
I do like WYWH, but damn it takes a lot to build up, and sometimes I'm not so patient on it. But will give it more spins just to see if it grows on me. Who know, it may end up appearing on my v2.

I seem to be one of the few people here who doesn't love DSOTM. Time is amazing though. And you don't have it in recommended songs. Oh well.  :lol
I try to recommend songs that would be interesting for people that haven't heard an album, but it wasn't wasy to choose here, as all the songs are damn good. Time is not the exception.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
Animals is my favourite. DSOTM is third. Both are masterpieces though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
Liquid Tension Experiment
Liquid Tension Experiment

The world deserves another album!

How does it sound like?
Ok, I might be wrong when I said DSOTM had such flow, because this album has, at least, as much flow as the former. It's amazing the chemistry between these 4 guys, like they knew each other since they were little kids and jammed on their garage teen bands. Every riff, every little nuance with the drums and every bass line fits perfectly and give a sense of improvisation and freedom and flow so unique,  like these guys where playing their souls here and not composing complex instrumental tunes.

What makes it more interesting is that, although the influences from each member's band is noticeable, this sund really different from them. In fact, they found thei very own sound in just, what, one week of writing? That's just insane, if it's real, of course. But what they accomplished here sounds as nothing I even remotely know. And they just made two albums, without counting Liquid Trio Experiment, that show where the music these guys want to do is. A perfect case where music speaks louder than words.

Recommended songs: Paradigm Shift, Freedom of Speech, Universal Mind

Something personal
This is the first album I truly listened to, and the one that introduced me not only to prog ad Dream Theater, but to music in general. This made me realize that I should listen to albums instead of individual songs, that on a record are more songs like those I liked from the band. I was blown away by the wankery technical abilities of it's member but how at the same time they made something truly unique and even beautiful, without a singer! This album will always stay close in my heart.

I love all the songs here, even Three Minute Warning (lasts 18 minutes lol), which I used to hate but now I really like it. Paradigm shift used to be my favorite, then it was State of Grace, where Petrucci does possibly his best guitar work ever, but then, Freedom of Speech continued growing and growing and now it' easily on my top 3 songs ever. It's a magical tune, it feels like a story where, at the beginning, everything was OK and everybody was happy, but then something external comes and ruins it all, oppressing people. And, slowly, they manage to defeat these bad guys with an incredibly fun battle a la cartoon series and at the end they're in peace again. And all with just music. Unbelievable.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #3 Shifting your paradigm
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
I didn't listen to LTE for a few year and I was never really big fan if their music but I'll check some songs again

Offline Xenon

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #3 Shifting your paradigm
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
I never listen LTE. I should fix that because I think both albums have the best of the best from JP and JR.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #2 One of the wonders of the world is going down...
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
In Absentia
Porcupine Tree

Sick cover for an insane album
How does it sound like?
I like to think of In Absentia as the perfect mix of the band's heaviest approach with their psychedelic stuff, and even a bit of the straightforward songwriting of Stupid Dream. It's the perfect point of PT's career, both in terms of creativity and exposure, being this their creative peak and their breakthrough album. Despite having so many different elements that make it quite eclectic, it somehow manages to make the album flow like just only a few do. There are have strings, disorted guitars, acoustic ones, drone-y samples, psychedelic stuff, and even some folk here and there yet it all makes sense. Every member shines here, specially Gavin Harrison with his amazing and smart drumming.

Although they may seem simple to play, the songwriting process is quite complex. In fact, according to Wilson, that's the only complexity of their music - thus he doesn't understand why some people tag them as prog. Personally, I like to think of them being progressive, about making great album after great album, looking for different things on each, always trying to progress musically speaking and never repeating themselves. I love that spirit, making music just of the sake of music.

Despite not being mixed by Wilson, this album sounds awesome. Yes, it is loud, but not compressed at all. Every instrument, every little nuance is detailed and clear. It's one of the best sounding albums I've heard. Of course their next albums sound a bit better, but the production here is unique.  No album out there sounds like In Absentia. It's like keeping a secret, something you only know and nobody has thought about it's existance. Although many artists have been influenced by PT's sound, not even the other band's records even sound like this. And that's why I love it.

Recommended songs: Blackest Eyes, Trains, Heartattack in a Layby, Strip the Soul

Something personal
Time of confession: the first time I heard it, I disliked it. Totally. Couldn't understand all the praise it received. So I left it on my mp3 player, to give it another chance in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I discovered Opeth's Damnation, and felt in love with it. Then, the moment of relistening In Absentia came. I wasn't sure, but give it a listen anyways. Inmediatly I noticed Wilson's influence on Damnation and, let me tell you, I fell in loved with the band. When the album finished playing, my mind was so blown. What the hell have I just listened? It clicked so damn hard.

I still have a thought time deciding if Trains, The Sound of Musak or The Creator Has A Mastertape was my fav track. Each one it's really different yet all are amazing on their own. the former has that beautiful acoustc guitars and the folk section. The second has an incredible groove, dat riff dude. And the last one has that sick moment at the middle. Anyways, this album is so perfect in every way, there's no filler, not a single bad note. So sad that Drown With Me didn't make the cut.

It wasn't until a few days, while re-listening it, I realized how much I loved it and that it's my fav PT record, when Deadwing used to have that spot just a few weeks ago. Everything here is perfect, and it resonates with me so hard. It has even competed with #1 as my fav album ever! And things like doesn't happen everyday. This would be at 1° but the following album it's a tiny bit better, and mainly because it has my fav song ever. In Absentia is a bit better as a whole though.

Offline Xenon

Heartattack in a layby is my favorite Porcupine Tree song. I wish SW did vocal arrangement like those more often.