Author Topic: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR1 REVEALED  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Hello my fellow DTF pals! :angel:

The time has come for yet another list-thread. I know I did one recently with my favorite bands/artists, but for those who know me, I kinda have a thing for organizing/making lists, it's fun, and something I keep myself busy with when I'm bored. Lists are fun right?! Since I've done the most usual lists like favorite bands/artists, top albums.. and even instrumental songs, I've been thinking about different ideas for lists. I've been wanting to make a list over my favorite long songs for a while, and I finally made something out of it. So let me present my top60 favorite long/progressive/epic songs! But before we start, let me just clarify some of my criteria.

So, the first question.. what qualifies as a "long" song? If I asked the closest people around me, like my dad, sister or the people I meet every day, they would probably say "6-7 minutes, that's above your average length". If I asked you, my fellow DTF brothers and sisters, you would say "At least 15 minutes but preferably between 20-30 minutes". I tried to solve this question by judging each artist/band on their own merit. Lets take Dream Theater as an example. "These Walls" is 7 ½ minutes long. For many bands, that's a long song. By Dream Theater measures, it's really not. So I drew my conclusions based on each artist/band's own discography. Band A has an average song length on 4 minutes, that makes a 7 minute song qualify as long by their standards. Band B has an average song length of 10 minutes, a song at 15 minutes is a long song by their measures. And so on, I think you guys get the picture. I didn't want this to be just "my favorite songs that happened to be long", but songs I think of as being amazing partly because they are long. Songs with that "epic" quality to them. 7 minutes seemed like a magical number though, so I kinda drew a line there. The list has everything from songs just above 7 minutes, to songs over 30 minutes. Everything in between. 

I'm gonna start off with the first five picks, but before that.. let me just calm you guys with the fact that there will be Dream Theater on this list! Oh, and I decided to narrow my list down to ONE song per artist/band/project. Because it would just be too much of a nightmare to include more. It would easily get over 100 then. But lets start shall we?

60. Morningbell - Bôa Noite - 7:50

Genre: Indie Rock/Indie Pop     
Album: Bôa Noite
Year: 2013

My first entry on this list is one of the more calm and peaceful entries. Morningbell was a band I was recommended pretty late last year, and since I was finishing off various best of 2013 lists and tried finishing off more music, I threw myself over the album, and I was highly rewarded. The whole album is very beautiful Indie Rock/Indie Pop with psychedelic elements, with some dreamy vocals. The song has very calm and soft verses, but the part that really pays off in my opinion is the beautiful chorus. The peaceful vocals really deliver a beautiful moment with the "good night, good night" during the chorus, and the climax that slowly builds by using piano, choirs, subtle drums, strings and finally electric guitar is just beautiful. This song is pretty much the centerpiece on the album, the longest track and it really stands firm as a pillar on which a great album hangs. The song shows some restraint, and it never really reaches bombastic levels of climaxes, but in the context of the calm and beautiful album it's on, it totally works.

59. Ian Hawgood - The Shattered Light - 21:00

Genre: Ambient/Drone/Noise/Experimental     
Album: The Shattered Light
Year: 2012

This album/artist is one of my hidden gems that I stumbled upon in 2012. I honestly don't know much about him except from what I've gathered from the album, but he makes instrumental music that falls under the ambient/drone/noise/experimental category. The artwork feels very Bass Communion-inspired (at least the most recent releases), and musically there are some connections. The music paints a very bleak and dark landscape, and very much like the artwork, you can feel the themes of desolation and darkness through the music. It's a very long winding track clocking in at 21 minutes, and with a calm start that slowly builds up into a noisy peak, the song delivers under the pressure of being the title track. It's a song that works better as background music when you don't want to focus too much, but even listening to the music and analyzing it, there's some nice details in it. It's not just a "press play and leave for 21 minutes" song, it feels fleshed out, and the subtle changes it takes are interesting. This song, and this album has actually influenced my own musical writing quite a bit. I highly recommend this if you're into instrumental ambient/drone music.

58. Mono - The Battle to Heaven - 12:51

Genre: Post-Rock     
Album: Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Year: 2009

I don't think I will surprise anyone when I say that Mono is just the first of what will be several Post-Rock songs to appear on this list. Post-Rock is a genre that lends itself perfectly for long songs, since the unconventional song structures and use of instruments is a perfect base for writing a long song. Mono has always been a band that I have been on the fence with. They have made some truly great albums, but they never really crossed over that barrier of being "a great band" to becoming one of my all time favorites, like a few other Post-Rock bands did. Still, they have a few really special albums, Hymn being my favorite. The Battle to Heaven stands out not only as the longest track on the album, but in my opinion the most epic one. It has that feeling of an epic album closer, and while technically it's only the second last song (Everlasting Light is the closer), this feels more like the big climax the album is building towards, and Everlasting Light is more the beautiful calm after the storm. As a Post-Rock song, The Battle to Heaven has all the great attributes I would want from a great Post-Rock song. It has really good build-ups, it balances between calm/peaceful to intense and dramatic. By the time the song finally explodes in one huge climax, I feel like I have been taken on a journey, the good kind of journey.

57. Devin Townsend - Earth Day - 9:36

Genre: Progressive Metal     
Album: Terria
Year: 2001

Time for a board favorite, Devin Townsend! I felt kinda guilty for leaving him out of my top60 artists/bands recently and I wanted to redeem that slightly by having him on here. I did not feel right placing him on that list, because to be honest, he still has probably 5-6 albums that I have not heard. So only having a foundation of half his discography (and nothing from Strapping Young Lad), it would have felt wrong to include him, but on a list like this it's easier. Earth Day is arguably his most known song, or at least as close to an anthem song we will get. While Devin overall can cross that line of being "too much" sometimes (at least for me), in this song he balances his craziness with his fantastic songwriting ability perfectly, and the result is a strong song, and one of the finest in his discography. Earth Day is both calm and melodic, heavy and chaotic, and it features Devin singing calm lyrics and I almost feel  peaceful when he sings "eat your beets" and "recycle", but on the other hand I feel a sudden urge to headbang into oblivion when he does his frantic singing during the heavy riff-part. (man do I suck at explaining or what) What I really want from a long progressive metal song is the feeling of having gone through several changes and heard different ideas come together beautifully, and that's exactly what Earth Day accomplishes IMO. It might be one of Devin's best songs, or it might not be at all, it all comes down to personal taste, but what I do think is accurate is the fact that it's one of the songs that sums up Devin in one song.

56. Incredible Expanding Mindfuck - Shadow of a Twisted Hand Across My House - 20:24

Genre: Krautrock/Psychedelic Rock/Experimental/Noise/Drone/Ambient     
Album: Arcadia Son
Year: 2001

For those of you going "what is this?!", let me simply reply by saying Steven Wilson. IEM (as I will now call it) is one of his side-projects, when life in Porcupine Tree wasn't weird or experimental enough, Steven did some of his most "out there" work in IEM and Bass Communion. IEM especially is very avant-garde and pushes the boundaries. "Shadow of a Twisted Hand Across My House" is a bit of a two divided song. The first part is a Krautrock-influenced jam which sounds like an idea that could have been used on Grace For Drowning or The Raven That Refused to Sing. It's almost jazzy and has a driving drumbeat with some different brass instruments on top of it, with the eerie trademark SW ambient sounds in the background. The song has the same experimental nature that many of the Grace For Drowning songs had, and it keeps building and adds more crazy things into the mix. The second part of the song is more calm/atmospheric and is mainly keyboard-driven. A very dark and eerie masterpiece SW has buried deep into one of his side projects, I love putting it on as background music. It's really dark, creepy and packed with atmosphere. It's almost odd how the first part of the song is different from the second, but what I do know is that it works. After the experimental jam in the first half, it kinda fades out into darkness during the remaining 12 minutes or so. It's probably not gonna hold your attention if you like the more progressive side of Steven Wilson, but if you love his more atmospheric stuff (and maybe even a fan of Bass Communion), I highly recommend this experimental piece of music.

More will come!  :heart
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:29:45 AM by Zantera »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
I've actually heard none of these, but I'll give them a listen tomorrow! Following to see if I actually know some.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Absolutely agree about Mono. Not every one of their albums is a gem but Hymn is just godly on so many levels and The Battle to Heaven is fantastic. One of the most emotional records I've ever heard to be honest.

Earth Day is a beast of a song. :metal And I'll check out some of these others as well. Following and stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

Cool, another list!

It's your birthdayayay, It's on Earth day

That Ian Hawgood sounds interesting, and the cover art looks great. I'm going to have to check 'em out.  :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Outcrier

The peaceful vocals really deliver a beautiful moment with the "good night, good night" during the chorus, and the climax that slowly builds by using piano, choirs, subtle drums, strings and finally electric guitar is just beautiful.

Maybe that's why the song is called Boa Noite ("good night" in Portuguese)  :)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Is this thing even legal?

Nah just kidding - great idea for us list-lovers. Btw, I still don't get all the love for Earth Day, while Devin has lots of better songs, like The Death of Music :hefdaddy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs (55-51)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 04:24:21 AM »
This next batch of songs includes at least one pick that I know a lot of people will appreciate. :)

55. Gospel - A Golden Dawn - 9:05

Genre: Progressive Rock/Post-Hardcore 
Album: The Moon is a Dead World
Year: 2005

Gospel is another band that is a truly special hidden gem. They only made one album, "The Moon is a Dead World" which came out in 2005, and had a fairly short lived career. Still, even though it's the only album they made, it has become a bit of a small cult album over the years. Just to give an example, with almost 1000 votes on Sputnik, the album sits comfortably at a 4.4 average rating out of 5. Quite impressive, and it's really a shame that this band didn't go on to make more albums, considering the potential for more great music. Anyhow, the band mixes several styles into their sound, but I would mainly say Post-Hardcore mixed with Progressive Rock, and some Emo thrown into the mix. "A Golden Dawn" is the long song on the album, and it delivers exactly what you want from a long progressive rock song. It takes you through twists and turns, and ever since I first heard the album, this song was the clear standout for me. This album holds a special place in my heart, and this song is pretty much the centerpiece on the album. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes post-hardcore or progressive music, or both! I'll also add that the album was produced by Kurt Ballou, guitarist in Converge. He is without a doubt one of my favorite music producers, because he really knows how to create a good sound for any album. I have yet to hear an album he has produced that has sounded anything worse than amazing.

54. 65daysofstatic - Debutante - 7:21

Genre: Post-Rock
Album: We Were Exploding Anyway
Year: 2010

If I consider my previous pick Gospel to be a hidden gem in my collection, I consider 65daysofstatic to be an often overlooked gem within the Post-Rock tree. What separates them from many other bands is that they take on electronic influences in their sound, and for the most part their songs are shorter, more focused and they don't wander off for 10 minutes like some Post-Rock bands do. They have a very strong sensibility when it comes to writing good melodies, and they know how to construct a song. "Debutante" stood out as a favorite and became my favorite 65dos track pretty much after the first time I heard We Were Exploding Anyway, which remains my favorite album of theirs. It's a song that perfectly takes on the "slow build" approach, and over the course of almost 7 ½ minutes, the song takes a pretty simple idea (in this case a simple yet effective bass riff) and builds on it. Debutante is only the third longest track on the album, but overall it remains one of the band's longest songs, because most of their songs are around the 4-5 minute mark. The reason I gravitate to this one more over the others is because it feels so adventurous and again, quite epic. A good word to describe it would be subtle. Many Post-Rock songs build from almost nothing to loads of things happening, but this is different. Like I said, it takes on a pretty simple bassriff and they build the song on top of that with different ideas that come together beautifully to create one of their best songs. Oh and while it has nothing to do with the song, I just gotta say that I love the artwork. Something about the picture and the colors just doing it for me. (Same thing with the Heavy Sky EP)

53. Bass Communion - Drugged 2 - 24:54

Genre: Ambient/Drone
Album: I
Year: 1998

Next up is another Steven Wilson track, "Drugged 2" from the first album he put out under the Bass Communion name, an album simply titled "I". Drugged is an idea that is sort of the main frame for the entire album, with the first Drugged being the second song on the album (and 14 minutes long), and this epic piece "Drugged 2" being the closing track at almost 25 minutes. Now, you might be a fairly new Steven Wilson fan, or you might only know his most popular three projects (Porcupine Tree, his solo albums and Blackfield), and you might be interested in checking this out, but have no idea what to expect. Bass Communion is ambient/drone music and really works the best as background music for late nights. Maybe you're too tired to listen to structured music or music with vocals. You just want some peaceful and relaxing, ambient is your thing. I was introduced to the genre through Bass Communion, and at first, even though I liked the music, I wasn't sure if I liked it because the quality was great, or because it was Steven Wilson. But after discovering more ambient music, I still think Bass Communion holds up very well quality-wise, compared to many of the best out there. Drugged 2 is my favorite piece, and the beautiful keyboards were later reworked and used in the No-Man song "Together We're Stranger", which is IMO one of the best No-Man songs, another SW project, and it was interesting to hear the idea used there, in a song with vocals. Anyhow, back to Drugged 2. It's an incredibly relaxing and peaceful slow burner. It really takes its time and while the main melody might get tedious or drawn out for some, I eat up every second of it. There's something incredibly beautiful and peaceful about it.

52. Pendulum - Still Grey - 7:52

Genre: Drum and Bass/Electronic Rock
Album: Hold Your Colour

It's not really a secret at this point that Pendulum is one of the bands I hold closest to my heart. I have over 2500 scrobbled plays with them on my lastfm, and I think that says a lot about how high I value them. They're not an overly deep band or write deep music, but they've always had a good ability at writing really catchy melodies and great electronic songs. "Still Grey" has a special place in my heart because of some weird experiences I've had surrounding the song. Initially, the song is the closer on the band's debut album "Hold Your Colour", one of my favorite albums. But when my friend sent me the album, he sent me the reissue, which had the last two tracks on the album (Still Grey being one of them) swapped out for two other tracks. Don't you just hate it when a reissue changes the tracklist like that? >:( I mean if anything, throw those other two on as a bonus or something, but don't change the classic tracklist! So I had heard the album many times, but I had not heard Still Grey. Then I got my hands on a "Greatest Hits" album which includes most of the Hold Your Colour songs AND B-Sides from the same time. This was the first time I heard Still Grey, and it really blew me away. If we're judging songs strictly on an epic/progressive value, the band has another song called "The Tempest" which is probably more epic and grandiose, but I'm currently levitating slightly more towards Still Grey because of the slow buildup. I love how it builds on a simple yet effective beat, and I love the vocals which have a very chill vibe to them. It's a really sweet Drum and Bass track that you could pull some sweet dance moves to.

51. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - 26:05 (All parts)

Genre: Progressive Rock
Album: Wish You Were Here
Year: 1975

So very much like Dream Theater, how do I make a list of my favorite LONG songs and NOT include Pink Floyd? It feels almost like an unspoken rule of this list I just made up in my head last night, but then there's obviously a few choices. I could go with Echoes, or maybe go Dogs? But I don't think anyone will be very surprised or outraged when I go with Shine On You Crazy Diamond, considering it's pretty much THE Pink Floyd anthem at this point. Like a true proghead I should also include both parts into the deal, because we all know that the closer is just as important as the album opener. What can I say about this classic piece of music that hasn't already been said? From the opening guitar chords (that have become classic almost just from being so simple and iconic, and for starting the song off), to the amazing guitar solo that follows. Lets not forget the incredible chorus (and the female vocals) as well as the great lyrics. The song does not have a lot of vocals, but they are used to perfection IMO. "Remember when we were young? You shone like the sun" is just one of many great lines, and the vocal delivery is really great and emotional. I also really love the saxophone. While I like the first half slightly more than the second one, I gotta say that the second one does an incredible job of finishing the album and coming full circle. Maybe it should have been one long 26 minute song, but for me it works with them being split up as well. Such an incredible progressive rock masterpiece, and well deserving of its status. Many here would probably have put this song a lot higher, for me I think it's just the case of me being a big Pink Floyd fan, but other people being HUGE Pink Floyd fans. I really like the band, but I know people who live and breathe the band. Still, what a great band they are.  :D

More to come!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Still Grey is much more tolerable than the typical Pendulum song. :lol I still don't understand why almost every single DnB song needs to have the exact same drum beat though.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Been meaning to check out 65daysofstatic. Shine On is absolutely amazing. :hefdaddy

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Yeah,I'm following this.

Online SoundscapeMN

that Gospel song (and album) is excellent. Too bad they never did anything more other than the 1 comeback track in 2009.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Gospel! :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs (50-46)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »
Apparently staying inside and writing updates is a good excuse to avoid going outdoors when it's this hot, and I can just sit in my room, sip on some cold water with two fans blowing in my face, while I write.  :D

50. Radiohead - Supercollider - 07:01

Genre: Electronic Rock/Alternative Rock
Album: Supercollider/The Butcher (Single)
Year: 2011

Radiohead on a list over long songs?! Stop the presses! Now you have truly seen it all. I know I used to go under the nickname of Captain Controversial back in my earlier days of DTF, but I still have it. ;) Jokes aside, Supercollider is a song that was released kinda under the radar by Radiohead, shortly after The King of Limbs came out. You can say what you want about Radiohead, maybe you like them, maybe you hate them, but they are a band who does whatever they want. And as a result, you sometimes get songs/singles or even albums dropping over night, without so much as a word that they are actually working on something. I love that about them. They keep busy and they surprise us. They are pretty much the opposite of a band like Tool, who promise a lot and deliver nothing, Radiohead keeps quiet and surprises us with releases instead. Supercollider/The Butcher is a single that just came out one day. I remember instantly loving Supercollider, and I found myself liking it even more than the songs on The King of Limbs. At over 7 minutes long, it manages to justify its length IMO. With beautiful soaring keyboards, great use of electronics and Thom Yorke's trademark vocals on top of that, I would not hesitate to put this song in my top5 Radiohead songs. That might be controversial, but honestly it's hard for me to tell. Radiohead has released several songs under the radar, and this is one of several gems. It's a pretty simple structure to the song, and it doesn't really escalate into something bombastic, but I love the subtlety in it, and the main melody just hits the sweet spot for me. It's a very atmospheric song, and while I have had some doubts over Radiohead and Thom Yorke, this track just really wowed me.

49. Ancestors - First Light - 19:20

Genre: Psychedelic Rock/Stoner Rock/Progressive Rock/Doom/Sludge
Album: In Dreams and Time

Ancestors was one of my most pleasant discoveries of 2012, and their album "In Dreams and Time" managed to take a top5 spot on my favorite albums of the year. The artwork feels very Pink Floyd inspired, and while the music is not just progressive, you can find similarities in the very ambitious ideas the band has. The album only has 6 songs, but they are long. The shortest one is above 6 minutes, most of the others are around the 10 minute mark, and First Light is the longest, closing off the album at over 19 minutes long. Take the best from the genres I mentioned, there's Psychedelic Rock, there's Stoner Rock, there's obviously Progressive Rock, there's some Doom, some Sludge. This band creates a very epic sound for themselves, and they deliver one of the biggest surprises for me these last few years, with one of the best closing tracks. I wanna get back to the Pink Floyd comparison because I think it has some validity. These guys are probably slightly heavier and probably a little slower, but atmospherically they both know how to create a beautiful sound landscape to listen to. This song keeps a pretty calm and slow tempo for the first half while building on themes that have appeared earlier during the album. As it builds up towards a climax with passionate guitars, Hammond organ in the background and rapid drumming, the song goes from a calm place to a soaring peak. The song calms down again, but it ends on a high note as it returns to its original theme (which starts the song off), and it ends in a beautiful climax with pounding guitars, gorgeous strings and manages to give the perfect ending to what has to be one of the stronger albums of the last few years. Their style might not be for everyone, because they are very Stoner influenced and they take their time slowly and carefully to go places with their songs. If you prefer progressive music that shifts faster and goes from point A to point B in seconds, Ancestors might be too slow for your taste, but if you get into the atmosphere of the songs and love it when a band really jams something magical, they will take you to places.

48. Have a Nice Life - Earthmover - 11:28

Genre: Shoegaze/Post-Punk/Industrial/Drone/Noise/Ambient
Album: Deathconsciousness
Year: 2008

Have a Nice Life is a band I have been trying to spread the word for lately, and they're another one of those "one time" bands. Though technically, not anymore. They released their debut album in 2008, "Deathconsciousness", which was a double album clocking in at roughly 1 ½ hour long. The band mixed various different genres which resulted in something truly unique and special, and you will mainly identify Shoegaze, Post-Punk and Industrial, but with some Ambient/Drone/Noise elements as well. I know we (me myself at least) use the word "journey" often to describe music, but Deathconsciousness really is quite the sonic journey. At first I found it almost hard to listen to, because it's so packed with emotions, goes through several different genres, and it's a very heavy album in that sense. You can really feel all the emotions, and it can get heavy listening to it. But it remains one of my favorite albums, and I would rate it 5 out of 5 in a heartbeat. The band did however release a follow-up this year, so technically not a one hit band anymore. :) Back to this specific song, Earthmover is a 11 ½ minute song that closes off a truly epic album. When you have a long album, especially a double album, you want to go out on a high note. You want to close off the album with something truly special, and Earthmover is one of those songs. It starts off pretty melancholic, quiet and bleak, but as the song progresses it starts picking up the pace and starts building towards a noisy industrial climax. As soon as you start to realize where the song is going, you are along for the ride. I have a sweet spot for songs that kinda fade out with the use of noise, and this song is right up my alley for those reasons. It reaches that stage of euphoria and sheer brilliance once the climax has played its role, and with the noise kinda ramping up with the beautiful piano backdrop, you have something special.

47. Gazpacho - Dream of Stone - 17:01

Genre: Progressive Rock/Art Rock
Album: Night
Year: 2007

From one band (Have a Nice Life) that I have been spreading love for, to another: Gazpacho. I once saw someone refer to them as the true heirs of Marillion, and while I have limited knowledge of Marillion, I do recognize some similarities. Gazpacho operate more on the calm side of progressive rock, and I would want to say they're closer to art rock territories. Night is my favorite album they have done, and the song that kicks the album off is the second longest song in their discography. "Dream of Stone" is 17 minutes of amazing restraint. The song really does go places, but it keeps itself within the constraints of the setting it creates. Some songs create a sound or setting and then just goes off the rails into something else. Dream of Stone creates a world of its own in which it operates, while still offering plenty of variety and interesting twists along the way. It's a calm and atmospheric song, and after the first time I heard it, I was surprised because the song did not feel its length. It moves on down a dark path and kinda has a tempo of its own. Gazpacho also uses some string arrangements that adds even more atmosphere and really gives them a unique edge compared to many other bands in the same genre. The song does not really get heavy, but the band doesn't have to go heavy in order to create dynamics. There's a beautiful string section towards the end (around 13 minutes in) with some beautiful classical piano being played as well. It's moments like these when Gazpacho really shine. They transcend being just another prog band who does what others have done before, and they really go their own way. Dream of Stone as a song is very much like a cool surreal dream.

46. Cloudkicker - A Weather Front Was Stalled Out in the Pacific--Like a Lonely Person, Lost in Thought, Oblivious of Time - 16:23

Album: Subsume

Despite it's overly long and complicated (and lets not forget Post-Rock oozing) title, the song itself is not as complicated or pretentious as the title may suggest. I'm not even gonna attempt to shorten the title, though I guess we could refer to it as AWFWSOitP-LaLPLiTOoT, lets just call it "A Weather Front..." for the sake of simplicity. I'm a huge fan of Cloudkicker. Instrumental metal, especially within the progressive metal tree can be very hit or miss for me, but I feel a sense of connection with Cloudkicker, because I have a feeling he likes similar things in songs that I like myself, at least judging from how he structures his own music. One thing that can annoy me in Progressive Metal is when bands are too fast for their own good. Some bands like to play many different ideas, and it always bothers me when they start playing this really cool idea or riff, and then just rushes over it to get to the next part. Cloudkicker however is a more atmospheric and repetitive artist, and I don't mean repetitive bad, but repetitive good. Repetition can be a very effective weapon, and Cloudkicker uses it perfectly when he finds a really sweet riff, and he is able to build really cool ideas around it. He doesn't rush past it to get to the next part, he takes his time to flesh out a badass section worthy of that badass riff. "A Weather Front" is one of his best songs in my opinion, because despite it being longer than 16 minutes, it's full of so many good parts. "Oh, here comes that crazy good riff, and there's the other crushing riff". I think Cloudkicker is writing some of the best Progressive Metal out there at the moment, and he doesn't even need vocals to keep you captivated for 16 minutes. He can do it with just instruments.

Let's share some love for these.  :heart

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs (50-46)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »
I had planned to give that Ancestors album a good listen around when it came out seeing as how it seemed to blend a lot of my favorite genres and seemed to be right up my alley, but could never find it, gave up on it, and somehow forgot about it. :lol Will check out.

Deathconciousness quickly became one of my favorite albums ever. It's such a heavy, dark, and abysmal experience yet so powerful and memorable. "Eathmover", while not my favorite track off of it, certainly closes up the album excellently.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs (45-41)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:21 AM »
Sounds like it's time for you to check out Ancestors then! And it's also nice to see some love for Have a Nice Life.  :)

45. Stars of the Lid - December Hunting For Vegetarian Fuckface - 17:46

Genre: Ambient/Drone
Album: And Their Refinement of the Decline

I recently took the time to praise this band a little when I featured them on my top60 favorite artists/bands list, and I know there are some other fans here on the board as well. Stars of the Lid is an American duo who make Ambient/Drone music, and have made some of my favorite albums within the genre. I might even say, they could be my favorite band within the ambient/drone scene. And Their Refinement of the Decline is up there among my favorite albums of all time, and "December Hunting For Vegetarian Fuckface" is not only the longest song on the album (at almost 18 minutes), but also the epic closer to a 2 hour album. Ambient/Drone is not music for everyone, because it's so minimalistic compared to most other genres. This song, very much like their other songs is very calm, peaceful and melodic. The ambient keyboards create a sonic landscape, and the song slowly explores the landscape it has created. It's the perfect soundtrack to an early sunrise over an empty field. This is one of those songs that is hard to describe, because it is slow moving, it is subtle, there's not a lot of things happening that are easy to describe, but the song is just beautiful. It's one of those songs where you don't listen because you're waiting for the payoff, the entire song is the payoff. It's just a good example of how to write a beautiful ambient piece that soothes the listener. But with that said, once the song reaches the end and the strings kick in, I can't help but getting a bit misty eyed. There's something comforting about it, a really nice piece of music that warms my heart.

44. Periphery - Racecar - 15:21

Album: Periphery
Year: 2010

I remember it like it was yesterday when I first heard the debut by Periphery, and yet it was 4 years ago. Periphery has become a bit of a "love it or hate it" band, because they are often labeled as "djent", and it's one of those genres some people just love to hate on. While the genre can be hit or miss for me, Periphery lands safely on the positive side for me. Great instrumentation, and despite a common opinion, I think Spencer is a really great vocalist. "Racecar" is the only real long song the band has, but what a song it is, clocking in at over 15 minutes. From the first listen of the debut, Racecar became my favorite song of theirs, and it has held that title ever since. There's so many things to talk about. Let's start with structure, I love how the song is structured. There's a main "theme" in the song that appears throughout the whole piece, and it returns in different forms and shapes, but there's always that connection that ties the parts together. There are a few different segments in the song, but they are tied together beautifully, and the transitions are great. Spencer delivers some great variety in his vocals in this track, and my favorite part is probably when the song calms down and he sings: "Cross the empty sect in flight, pleasant memories, redefined all that's left, the sound it, makes me scream". Overall this song is my favorite Periphery song by far, and it's just an overall great progressive metal epic. If you're a guitar enthusiast, there's some really good guitar playing in this track, and some of the solos in the second half of the song are crazy good. I really hope the band has an epic on the next album, because I love what they did with this one. Sadly, their second album didn't have any long songs. But lets hope for another epic in the future!

43. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - O'Malley's Bar - 14:32

Genre: Alternative Rock
Album: Murder Ballads
Year: 1996

Nick Cave is weird. And as a result, he's not for everyone. He has very distinctive vocals that are pretty easy to identify, and many of his songs have pretty odd structures, and the 14 ½ minute "O'Malley's Bar" being a perfect example of this. The song kinda stumbles forward in the same slow pace, and Nick Cave reads through the longest set of lyrics I've heard in quite some time. His music has a very theatric feel to it, especially this song. The music is more like a backdrop to a story that Nick Cave is telling, and it results in a fascinating listen. I always think of the tortoise and the hare, with Nick Cave being the tortoise. It's not necessarily so much that his music is incredibly slow paced, but many songs really do stumble forward in a pretty slow pace. It might sound bad, but actually it gives his music a very unique vibe. While "O'Malley's Bar" has some great musical parts and ideas, where the song really shines is Nick Cave's vocals. He has a quirky and weird personality, and he really twists and turns each word with such care. The song almost feels like it was improvised after a drunk night on the town, and he doesn't really deliver any lines in the same way. At parts it feels almost like a spoken word piece, at other times he's singing quite impressively. He definitely has both a voice and a personality that you will either love or hate, but it does lend itself towards an interesting listen. Even if this song won't be progressive enough for some of you, I think the variety in the vocals will provide something interesting for you at least. My main thought that goes through my mind every time I hear this song is "How does he even remember the lyrics?", and I would imagine this would be tough to pull off on a concert. The song is over 14 minutes, does not include any long instrumental sections, and for the most part it's Nick Cave singing verse after verse. I would get lost in the lyrics a few verses in. A weird and fun song without a doubt.

42. Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons - 23:09

Album: A Change of Seasons
Year: 1995

Making a list over my favorite long songs, there's gotta be some Dream Theater! But as you're all aware of, there's not exactly a limited amount of choices. The band that almost invented the progressive metal epic, DT has plenty of long songs. My first idea was to use Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but I know there's a split in opinions about it. Some people (like myself) consider it to be one song, other people would say it's a suite. Despite popular opinion, I'm not HUGE on Octavarium. I consider it a great track, but not up there in my top5 DT songs. But do you know what song is? A Change of Seasons! I'll be honest, I often forget the song even exists, and that's a shame considering it's one of my favorite DT songs. It's a shame that one of their best songs is only found on what's IMO a throwaway EP, but I always try to do my best not to forget it. This is DT at their peak IMO. While my love for the band continued well into 6DOIT, I've always considered the band to be around their peak in the Awake-SFAM period, and that includes this song of course. I know people mostly praise Jordan and Kevin Moore, but I've always had a sweet spot for Derek Sherinian, and he does an excellent job both on this track, but Falling Into Infinity as well IMO. He's the most forgotten keyboard player they've had, but I really like what he did, even if he wasn't around for long. The whole band is just in amazing form on this track, and I love it. I know they started playing it on tours after Awake and my first exposure to it was through one of those live concerts. I'm not sure when it was finally written, but thinking about a possibility where we could have had Awake, minus Scarred and Space-Dye-Vest with A Change of Seasons on it instead makes my mouth a bit watery to be honest. Not that there's anything wrong with those two I mentioned of course, but A Change of Season is the shit.

41. Dir En Grey - Macabre (2013 Version) - 16:19

Genre: Progressive Metal/Experimental Metal/Avant-Garde Metal
Album: The Unraveling

Dir En Grey is another band I've been trying to spread the love for, and they also have a bunch of fans here on DTF. There's something quite wonderful about the music from Japan. I don't know quite how to explain it, but it's like they throw in elements of just about which genre they want, and the music sounds very unique and original as a result. Dir En Grey has elements of Pop in their music, but they also make incredibly heavy deathcore songs that feature screams, growls and other horrifying sounds. "Macabre" is perhaps the peak of their epic songwriting. The original version can be found on the album Macabre, and is a bit shorter than 11 minutes, but this new version clocks in at over 16 minutes. The song starts off with some epic drums that gives you a feeling that "this is gonna be epic". After the intro is over, the song surprisingly starts off pretty calm and melodic with Kyo doing some sweet clean vocals. After about 5 minutes, there's a really great part where Kyo does some simple vocal stuff over an organ, and just that simple combo works incredibly well. The song is surprisingly calm and restrained for the first half or so, with some incredible musicianship and great vocals by Kyo, but in the second half it really reaches more epic proportions. I would not hesitate to say that Kyo is probably the second best vocalist in metal (Mike Patton would be nr1 IMO), and his range is just phenomenal. He can sing clean, he can growl, scream, shriek, basically whatever you want, he can do it. While the band has done faster and more aggressive (as well as more technical) songs, there's something about this 16 minute version of Macabre. Packed with atmosphere, the musicianship is just top notch, and the song does not feel its length at all. I really hope the band writes more epics in the future, because they have a talent for it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »
Mmmmm Have A Nice Life. Do you listen to Giles Corey as well?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 06:17:31 AM »
I LOVE Dream Of Stone, even though probably the combined I've Been Walking tops it in my book. I take you have listened to Demon, right?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs (40-36)
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »
Milena, I've actually been meaning to check out Giles Corey for quite some time. I think I even got the album a while back but I've just forgotten about it. I will check it out though! Hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

Wasteland, I have heard Demon and it's a really great album. You might actually be right about I've Been Walking, I feel like those are two of the best songs the band has done in their entire career. Putting them together for one - that would have been a big masterpiece.

40. M83 - Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun - 10:37

Genre: Dream Pop/Synth Pop/Shoegaze
Album: Before the Dawn Heals Us

I first heard the band M83 back in 2011 when they put out the double album "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming". I remember liking the album, but I did not give it enough time to click, and it kinda left my mind as a pleasant surprise, but nothing I returned to. Fast-forward 1 ½ or 2 years to when the first trailer for the movie Cloud Atlas dropped. The trailer featured the M83 song "Outro", and something about the music and the trailer just clicked for me. M83 has a very majestic and epic sound, with big airy synths, gorgeous melodies and it worked really well with the trailer for a movie like Cloud Atlas, which is also epic, big and bombastic. Outro was the song that got me back into their music and made me return to the band, and ever since I have been getting more and more into them. One song that managed to captivate me the most was the incredible "Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun", the closing track on their third album, Before the Dawn Heals Us. M83 is essentially a keyboard-driven band who fuses genres like Dream Pop and Shoegaze in a sound that takes the synthesizers to the forefront. Some songs, like this one has a very ethereal aspect to it as well, and the vocals can sometimes remind me of Sigur Rós. They're not in icelandic, but those peaceful and atmospheric vocals that are more there to fit the song and add another dimension, rather than adding lyrics and a "plot" to the song. "Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun" clocks in at over 10 ½ minutes and is such an emotionally packed climax to a really good album. The building synthesizers, the amazing choir vocals and just about everything in this song makes it truly special. It's the perfect album closer, and one of those songs that would make a great soundtrack to the moment when every light on planet earth fades out and goes into darkness. Such a beautiful song, that despite being instrumental (aside from choir vocals) perfectly manages to convey tons of emotion.

39. Oathbreaker - Clair Obscure - 11:25

Genre: Atmospheric Black Metal/Hardcore/Experimental Metal
Album: Eros/Anteros

For those who followed my lists last year, you know that Oathbreaker put out an album I rated very high in Eros/Anteros. Deathwish is one of my favorite record labels out there, and aside from the obvious pick in Converge, I constantly find myself being blown away by other bands on their roster. Deafheaven, Touche Amore, Loma Prieta and Oathbreaker are just four examples. Oathbreaker is an experimental metal band from Belgium, and they mainly fuse Black Metal with Hardcore. Oh, and they also have a female vocalist who sings, screams and it really gives them a unique sound. While most of the album consists of shorter songs that are fast, aggressive and in your face with their badass riffs, the album has two long slow burners, "Clair Obscure" being the album closer at over 11 minutes. It's a really beautiful track that takes its time to slowly build. By slowly establishing atmosphere with great guitar chord progressions and beautiful vocals, the drums eventually add to the mix and the song starts to get going for real. The outro and the big climax is incredibly rewarding after the slow start, and is essentially a play on how the song started. The song starts off calm and ends heavy, but the recurring theme from the start is there in the sound. It's such a great closer to one of my favorite albums from 2013, and I might even say the band's finest song they have put out so far. They're still fairly new and only have two albums under their belt, but much like their label mates Deafheaven had a breakthrough last year with their second album, I feel Oathbreaker did something similar. Not as big of a breakthrough, but what a good album Eros/Anteros was, and it's going to be hard to top it. Black Metal/Hardcore might not be for everyone, but this track is really more of an atmospheric experimental track. You might very well enjoy this track even if the genres I mentioned doesn't sound appealing at all.

38. The Pineapple Thief - What Have We Sown - 27:32

Album: What We Have Sown

The Pineapple Thief is a band that has been getting a bit of a following on this forum, and that makes me happy. While the band overall feels closer to an Alternative Rock band than a Progressive Rock band IMO, they sometimes come out of the blue with something truly progressive. In fact, their long songs tend to also be among their best songs. "What We Have Sown" is without a doubt their most epic song IMO. At over 27 minutes, it has everything a long & epic progressive rock song SHOULD have. The intro spares no expenses. You have a good 6-7 minutes before the vocals enter the game, and everything before that is great progressive rock. Building a song from a great intro is always important. The vocals gives a very melancholic feel and Bruce Soord, while might having a limited range, has really emotional and pleasant-to-the-ears vocals. Once the first vocal passage is over, we get some really sweet guitar solos that remind me a lot of Pink Floyd and Gilmour, there's a lot of heart in there. The middle section is where the song starts to get crazy, and the song goes into electronic/experimental mode. The electronic part is really quite experimental and interesting, and I love every second of it. And let's not forget the robot vocals over electronics with beautiful strings in the background. This is the longest song in the band's catalog, and also one of the very best tunes. They really go all out there with it, hold nothing back, and create something very special. This is to The Pineapple Thief what Anesthetize is for Porcupine Tree, or what Octavarium is for Dream Theater. A truly epic piece of music that reaches another level. This song contains several really memorable parts, but what I love the most about it is how well it flows. The electronic parts does not feel out of place, and works wonderfully.

37. Pure Reason Revolution - The Bright Ambassadors of Morning - 11:56

Album: The Dark Third
Year: 2006

From one of the newer progressive rock bands to another, Pure Reason Revolution had made one of my favorite progressive rock albums of the last decade - The Dark Third. One of those rare albums that is just flawless from beginning to end, and a remarkable achievement for being a debut album. The centerpiece of the first disc (yes, it's a double album!) is a wonderful epic called "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning", which clocks in at just below 12 minutes. While the band wears its influences on their sleeves (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree just to name two), what makes them truly special IMO are the wonderful vocals, and the use of both male and female vocals. And especially how they come together within the songs themselves, usually by writing really interesting vocal harmonies and melodies where the vocals trade off each other. "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning" is a great example. Chloe does most of the main vocals for the first vocal segment with Jon doing backing vocals, but then it reaches the main line (the song title) and Jon takes over with Chloe taking the back seat. The song is not only interesting vocally, because instrumentally it also has a lot of great parts. It starts off calm and atmospheric but really builds up within the course of its runtime, and it's amazing how the second half is like a reflection of the first. Again, Chloe and Jon are trading off each other's voices, but this time the instrumentation surrounding the vocals is more dramatic, layered and has more things happening. While the album as a whole is one of my favorites, and every song can stand tall on its own, "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning" really is like a firm pillar on which most of the album (at least Disc 1) leans upon. It's one of the best songs from one of the better progressive rock bands of the last decade. It's just a darn shame that they broke up and that we won't get more music from them. :(

36. Alcest - Délivrance - 10:05

Genre: Post-Rock/Shoegaze/Dream Pop
Album: Shelter
Year: 2014

Alcest is a band that most DTFers probably have heard of by now. Over the last 4 years they have gotten more and more popular, and for good reasons. Initially the band's sound came from a mixture of Black Metal with Shoegaze and Post-Rock elements, a mixture that has been labeled "Blackgaze" by some. Shelter is the most recent album by the band, and came out early this year. It was a departure and took out the little that was left of their metal elements, and instead they made a more relaxed Post-Rock/Shoegaze/Dream Pop album that draws influences from bands like Sigur Rós, Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine. While the album overall was a slight disappointment for me (possibly due to high expectations), Délivrance, the album's closer is probably the best song the band has done. It's one of few songs in my collection that instantly gives me goosebumps, but it really is THAT good. I might even go out on a limb and say it's the most beautiful song I have in my collection, but as I'm sitting here and listening to the song as I write this, that might be taking it a bit too far. I would at least consider it to be in a top5 in terms of beauty. It's hard to talk about the song without talking about repetition. I believe there's a difference between something being repetitive good and repetitive bad. You can use repetition to your advantage if you know what you're doing and have something amazing that will benefit from it, and that's what Alcest are doing. The chorus or climax if you will is repeated many times, but it's incredibly gorgeous, and as soon as it's over, I want to hear it again. I really hope this is a standard that the band can live up to, because finishing off their most recent album with what's IMO the best song of their career so far, that makes it interesting to see how they can follow it. I think the album as a whole lacked some of the emotions and atmosphere that I want from Alcest, but in this song they managed to hit a home run. Incredibly beautiful and passionate.  :heart

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
I really like that M83 song. I'll put them down on my list of bands  whose stuff I need to dig into

Offline senecadawg2

Delivrance is so beautiful. Such a dreamy, trance-inducing song  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I liked Deliverance a lot, and didn't dislike the M83 song, even though I'm not likely to listen to that a second time. I think I'll follow this thread closely in the future.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Mmmmm Have A Nice Life. Do you listen to Giles Corey as well?
This this this. Anyone who enjoys HANL should check out Giles Corey. Especially the self titled.

Also,Delivrance is indeed very good. Hell,it's the only reason I'm keeping my vinyl copy of Shelter.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Giles Corey's self titled is equally as dark and abysmal as Deathconsciousness, if not more so. Seconding the recommendation for anyone who's listened to Have a Nice Life.

Nothing more to be said about ACOS. A DT masterpiece. :tup

Been meaning to check out Stars of the Lid as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I find Delivrance pretty boring and it's my least favorite song on Shelter :P It was also a bit underwhelming as an encore song live.

However, ACOS is hands down the best +20-minute DT epic :tup I should check out some of the bands in this list, as the descriptions sound promising.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - Wasted Days
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 05:52:31 AM »
Loving the activity!  :heart
It's always nice when lists like this one inspires people to check out new music. Even if not everything is a hit, even discovering 1 new band out of 5 might be a good deal. :)

35. Queens of the Stone Age - Someone's in the Wolf - 7:16

Genre: Alternative Rock/Stoner Rock
Album: Lullabies to Paralyze

So my next pick happens to be one of the shorter picks on the list. But clocking in at over 7 minutes, "Someone's in the Wolf" still ranks in as one of the longest Queens of the Stone Age songs, considering most of their songs are around 4-5 minutes. For the most part I consider their longest songs to be among their best. I was considering putting "I Think I Lost My Headache" on here initially, and I almost did, but I'm a bigger fan of Lullabies to Paralyze as an album, and this song is one of the reasons. Queens of the Stone Age's main trademark is great guitar playing with some really sweet riffs. Josh Homme's vocals are also pretty chill and have a psychedelic vibe to them in this track. The main riff that drives the song is not too complex, but I love how effective it is. A simple riff that works really well. The chorus is pretty catchy and the instrumental section towards the end, before the song kicks back into one final climax is pretty cool. A small little ambient section with a creepy/eerie vibe, some subtle guitars and Josh's haunting vocals. The song really is a great atmospheric piece and manages to stand out as epic on an album with mostly faster "in your face" hit-songs. It works especially well on the album since it's followed by another song that's one of their best, "The Blood is Love", and the combo between those two songs is great. Overall just a really nice rocking tune that has an interesting ambient/instrumental section, and stands out as one of the best songs on the album. Overall I hold it as one of their best albums, and this song is one of the reasons why.

34. Cloud Nothings - Wasted Days - 8:52

Genre: Garage Rock/Noise Rock/Indie Rock
Album: Attack on Memory

Cloud Nothings is a band that I discovered in 2012, and has since become one of my favorite new rock bands. They have a lo-fi approach to their sound, and as a result the music sounds like it was recorded in a garage. The actual quality of the sound is crystal clear, but you get that feral aggression and raw attribute that you want on a rock album. Steve Albini engineered the album, and he's a legend at what he does. Attack on Memory was in my top 5 albums of 2012, and their follow-up which came out this year, Here and Nowhere Else is in my top3 of 2014 so far, and IMO is even better than Attack on Memory was. But back to Attack on Memory, the big standout on the album for me was the second song "Wasted Days". At almost 9 minutes, it was the longest track by far, and when they play it live, it sometimes even reaches 14-15 minutes. The first part of the song is a pretty simple garage rock track with one of my favorite guitar riffs from the last few years that drives the song forward. Dylan Baldi's vocals are not for everyone, but personally I love them. Just such a "human" element to them. They're passionate and emotional, and raw. The first part is a pretty simple and straight forward start to the song, but the second part is where the band goes into experimental territories with a jam section that sounds almost Godspeed You! Black Emperor influenced at times. A great instrumental section that continues to build tension and get more and more intense, until it finally explodes in a climax with Dylan Baldi screaming out the lyrics that we recognize from the "chorus" earlier in the track. "I THOUGHT I WOULD BE MORE THAN THIS". Such an intense song and it really hits all the sweet spots for me. An amazing intro, really great grove/rhythm that drives the song, passionate/raw singing that fits the music, one of my favorite jam sections, and rounding off the song with a connection to the start. It's just so good.

33. Tori Amos - Datura - 8:25

Genre: Alternative Rock/Electronica/Baroque Pop
Album: To Venus and Back
Year: 1999

I love Tori Amos. She has a few misses in her discography like most other artists, but for the most part she has done some excellent albums. I would even defend some of her more recent albums, because even if they're not quite on par with her best (and far from it), there's still some redeemable qualities and some catchy songs. "Datura" is one of her longest songs, and also one of her most experimental songs. I love the Choirgirl Hotel/Venus and Back period, because it had Tori at her darkest, most electronic and experimental state. Datura is a great example. The first part of the song starts off with a really lovely ascending/descending piano and Tori doing vocals on top. A pretty catchy way to open the song, and I'm just sucked in from the beginning. She starts experimenting more as the song progresses, with some weird vocal effects and changing up the sounds. As the piano has played its main part, the song goes into a more quiet and dark ambient section with Tori repeating "Dividing Canaan" on top of really sweet sound landscapes. While it's pretty different from most of her classic stuff, I love it that she steps out of her comfort zone to make something drastically different. From what I have read about the song it was improvised and jammed out during a studio session, and it adds another layer of authenticity to it. The song is just about as dark and experimental as you would expect from a song about hallucinogenic plants. I think To Venus and Back is one of her most underrated album, and the perfect companion-piece to From the Choirgirl Hotel. Kinda like her Amnesiac to her Kid A. (those who know Radiohead will get the reference) Basically twin albums with similar ideas and sounds. I would easily place this song among my top5 Tori songs, and it really is quite special.

32. Slowdive - Rutti - 10:06

Genre: Post-Rock/Ambient/Dream Pop/Shoegaze
Album: Pygmalion

Slowdive is a band I was late to the party with, but after being a huge fan of My Bloody Valentine for so long, I figured I would check out other big bands within the Shoegaze/Dream Pop scene. And I'm happy I did, because I discovered Slowdive, and I hold them even higher than I hold My Bloody Valentine! While Slowdive is mostly known as a Shoegaze/Dream Pop band, they took a drastic turn on their last album Pygmalion, and the album doesn't really sound like the first two at all. If I were to compare the album and especially this song to anything, I would say it's closer to something like Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock) or Bark Psychosis, rather than My Bloody Valentine. "Rutti" is a 10 minute long, epic song with incredible atmosphere. I think the Talk Talk comparison is about as good of a reference that I can make, because it has that long, drawn out feel to it. The song does feel like it was improvised and played in one take, and it really has that Post-Rock/Ambient mix that the last two Talk Talk albums had. I just love this song. The guitars are amazing. They might be slow and take their time with each riff and chord, but every tone that comes out of them is gold. The haunting vocals of Neil Halstead fit beautifully on top of the atmospheric music, and the result is something truly special. The band never made long songs, so this one really stands out because of its length, considering it's about twice as long as most of their other "longer" tracks. While the band is mostly known as a Shoegaze/Dream Pop band, this song really is closer to Post Rock/Ambient, so I highly recommend it. Even if the song and album are different from the first two albums, I would say it's easily on par quality wise. Different, but just as good.

31. Amplifier - Continuum - 8:51

Genre: Space Rock/Progressive Rock
Album: The Astronaut Dismantles HAL (EP)

Next up is a band that I hold very close to my heart, Amplifier. Now that my favorite band Oceansize aren't around anymore, it's up to Amplifier to carry the torch of best progressive rock band from Manchester, and IMO they are delivering under that pressure. They have only put out a handful of albums (and as many EPs), but each of them are great in different ways. While they have several amazing long songs, "Continuum" has been a favorite ever since I first heard The Astronaut Dismantles HAL, which is one of their EPs. The song is just as good as the songs on their debut, and it even rivals Airborne as my favorite Amplifier song overall. Continuum might actually be my favorite overall. It has the trademarks that makes Amplifier so great. The building guitars, the hypnotizing drums, and the space-y instrumental sections that sounds like a mix of Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. My dad thinks Space Rock is a silly genre-name, but I love it personally. It's hard to describe, but it's those instrumental moments when the song wanders off, and I think Pink Floyd kinda started that with some of their longer songs, and how the instrumental sections had those gentle, sweeping guitars, and it just created a very epic sound. Amplifier does a great job of taking those Pink Floyd ideas and infusing them with heavier guitars, and the result is just amazing. I can see Continuum being the kind of song people forget because it's on an EP, and they shouldn't! It's one of the band's best songs, and easily holds up compared to their best "album-songs". It's just a really great song overall, with enough interesting ideas and a great flow to make them work together.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Entering the top30 now. :)

30. Riverside - Ultimate Trip - 13:13

Album: Rapid Eye Movement

Ultimate Trip over Second Life Syndrome? Yes, that might be controversial, and I wouldn't hesitate to say both are top5 Riverside songs for me. While Second Life Syndrome tends to be the big fan favorite, I've found myself digging Ultimate Trip more. Because the song truly lives up to its title. First of all, starting off a long epic with drums is brilliant. It always gives the song an epic feel to it IMO, and the intro-guitar that soon follows result in a very strong and memorable opening of the song. The song has all those trademark shifts that I love Riverside for. The first 4 minutes or so are very straight up Progressive Rock, but what I really love is the "quiet" and melodic section that starts around the 4 ½ minute mark. Mariusz Duda really shines with his vocals when he does the soft and peaceful lyrics during that quiet section. The slide guitar and subtle piano in the background is just beautiful. I gotta say, as amazing as the first half of the song is, it's during the second half where I really get the chills. The song gets quiet and once it starts building up slowly, that's the sweet spot for me. "Closed inside, I have my life back" and the building drums/guitars/keyboards is just incredibly well executed. Apart from Duda who always gets praise on this forum, I wanna take the time to show some appreciation for Piotr Grudziński who plays the guitar. While his playing is very influenced by classic guitarists like Gilmour and their guitar-sound is very oldschool/classic, I just love the tone he has, and he plays with such passion. Even in the Riverside songs I like the least (there's not that many of them), his guitar playing still gives me something to appreciate. He is amazing at guitar solos, but he's also incredible at the more subtle parts, where the guitar is just sort of sliding and adding sounds on top of the song. I remember when I saw Riverside live that he was closing his eyes through many of the solos, yet he managed to play it perfectly note-for-note. Really such a passionate guitarist, and just a great talent. Anyhow, back to the outro of the song, it really is an amazing ending to an epic song. Once it reaches its final climax, I'm sitting in my chair and I have the chills. "Ultimate Trip" really takes you on the ultimate trip. I wouldn't even want to imagine how crazy this song would be if you had some shrooms or other drugs.

29. Deafheaven - Vertigo - 14:37

Genre: Black Metal/Shoegaze/Post-Rock
Album: Sunbather

Sunbather was the big standout album for me last year. Together with Hubardo by Kayo Dot, they were the only two albums that I awarded a 5 out of 5 to. Sunbather came like a bomb out of nowhere, and became an instant classic. It's one of those genre-dividing albums you get every now and then, and as a result, Deafheaven made an album that transcended metal. They're now playing at various Indie/Pop/Rock festivals across Europe, and that speaks volumes about them. Normally you have your metalheads who love metal, but few metal albums reach outside of just the metal community. Sunbather did, and fans of Shoegaze and Post-Rock were able to love the album, despite the metal elements. While Alcest really paved the way for Deafheaven, in my opinion, Sunbather is better than anything Alcest put out. But lets turn focus from the album to the song. Vertigo is the longest track on the album and clocks in at over 14 ½ minutes. The first 5 minutes are instrumental and gives a really nice variety. There's some great guitars that opens the song, some sweet use of horns, and the first five minutes really create a nice setting for the song. It isn't until the five minute mark when the vocals come in, and it's the black metal vocals that weirdly enough works so well with the more "bright" backdrop. Usually black metal has a dark and bleak feel to it, but what Deafheaven does unique is a more positive and bright sound. The song takes on many twists and turns and present you with some great ideas both from metal and shoegaze/post-rock. It's not an album or a song for everyone, but it's probably the best example in quite some time of an album that isn't just appealing to metalheads, but other music fans as well.

28. Between the Buried and Me - Swim to the Moon - 17:54

Album: The Great Misdirect
Year: 2009

Start off an almost 18 minute track with Xylophone and Glockenspiel (at least that's what I'm hearing), and you have me sucked in already. Between the Buried and Me is one of the biggest progressive metal bands today, and this is their most epic song in terms of length. It's a song that seems to divide some fans, but personally I've held it in my top3 BTBAM songs ever since I first heard it. My best way of describing it would be Dream Theater plus harsh vocals. It's not ALL harsh vocals, but be prepared for them, because they're a vital part of the band. If you can get over them however, I think you will find BTBAM very rewarding. They're definitely more progressive and closer to Dream Theater than a band like Opeth is, and they have very quirky personalities that shines through in many songs. A playful approach that results in many memorable and fun instrumental sections. This song is quite the journey. With a great chorus that appears throughout the song, most of it is just really great riffs and parts. Some of the criticism against them has been that they go from point A to point B and it's too random. I disagree and as long as the individual parts are amazing, does it matter? This song has something for every musician to get excited about. Amazing guitar-riffs, groovy bass riffs, incredible drumming (as well as a drum solo), and lets not forget great keyboards. Tommy also displays his incredible range, and this is probably one of his best songs vocally, with the most variety in it. But yeah, the song really has something for everyone. I really love all the different solos the song offers, and the comparison to Dream Theater is very valid. The guitar-playing gets very Petrucci at points. Despite some people who think it's too long or too random, I think it's perfect.

27. Boris - Feedbacker (Part II) - 14:54

Genre: Noise Rock/Drone Rock/Doom/Psychedelic
Album: Feedbacker
Year: 2003

Boris is one of my more recent discoveries, and a band I have been digging a lot these last months. A very diverse band with different sounding albums, they put out one of the better albums of 2014 so far in "Noise", but I wanna go back to their 2003 masterpiece "Feedbacker" for this. The album title hints at it, and the album really is 45 minutes of experimental drone/noise/ambient music, mostly coming from guitar feedback. This might sound like a bad experiment, but the music is incredibly captivating and engaging. I love guitars. I love experimenting with them. What really gets me excited is the idea of taking a guitar which is mostly known for playing standard chords/riffs, and using different effects to create something truly special. An effect pedal or playing with feedback. The music has a similar atmosphere to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It's not the same kind of music, but the album perfectly captures a dark atmosphere and a sense of "the world has come to an end". Feedbacker Part 2 is the second part of the album, which in full consists of five parts, all being like a suite. The second part consists of some really great use of guitar effects, great drumming and while a lot of what's happening is repetition, the band manages to make it interesting. They introduce new elements to the song as it progresses, and they prevent it from ever getting boring. There's an incredible guitar solo part after the 8 minute mark that really stands out, and some vocals towards the end that really stands out. It's really more of an atmospheric piece that works better as a song on the album, because all five parts are like a suite and flow into each other, but overall it is the highlight on the album for me.

26. American Football - Stay Home 8:10

Genre: Math Rock/Emo/Indie Rock
Album: American Football
Year: 1999

American Football has to be one of my favorite "bands who only made one album". They put out their self-titled debut in 1999, and it's just one of the most emotional albums I've had the pleasure of hearing. Musically I would say it's Math Rock (so a lot of interesting chord progressions and ideas), lyrically and vocally I would say it's Emo, very emotional and heartfelt, and you can really relate to it. While I've been lucky so far in my life, I would imagine this is an album I would listen to every day if I experienced true heartbreak, loneliness and despair. A break-up album or the kind of album you listen to a lot if you're feeling down. It's packed with emotions both in the beautiful and depressing lyrics, but also in the wonderful music. "Stay Home" is the long track on the album, and while it features some repetition, it goes back to what I said earlier in this thread about good repetition vs bad repetition. This song really has the good repetition nailed down, and it delivers both very memorable music, but also memorable lyrics. I can relate to the topic they bring up, and the repeated lyrics of "But that's life - it's so social" really speaks to me. The song really shines musically though, with some really great guitar lines, effective drumming, and what I would imagine could be the ultimate soundtrack to your teenage life when you faced those emotions of being sad, depressed and not quite knowing how to react. 

Let's get some love going for these  :heart

Offline Zyzzyva17

I don't get the people who call Swim to the Moon random, while at the same time liking songs like Ants in the Sky (I love both). I'd actually argue that Swim to the Moon is one of their most cohesive long songs.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Figured Sunbather was gonna make an appearance.  :biggrin:

Swim to the Moon is a good BTBAM track, but not quite up their in my own rankings. I actually prefer quite a few songs on TGM over it. Still great in context of the album of course, but a lot of parts don't always stick with me for some reason.

Stay Home :heart American Football is so great and I really relate quite a bit with the lyrics, so personally, it's a very moving and emotional record, and definitely one of my favorites.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Feedbacker  :heart :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Nice to see some love! These next five will bring some variety. :)

25. Faith No More - The Real Thing - 8:14

Genre: Alternative Metal
Album: The Real Thing
Year: 1989

Time for one of my favorite metal bands with one of my all time favorite vocalists of all time. I'm talking about Faith No More and Mike Patton, and in this case the epic title track of their first album together, "The Real Thing". I'll be honest, whenever I think about Faith No More, I think about The Real Thing as their first album. I know they put out two releases before it to some mixed reviews, but the inclusion of Mike Patton took the band to new highs, and The Real Thing was the big breakthrough. With Mike Patton as the singer, the band put out three mind blowing albums as well as a fourth which was a slight dip in quality, but still a genuinely good listen in my opinion. Back to The Real Thing, the title-track really is the centerpiece of the album. At over 8 minutes it has all those things I love about the band. Fun and diverse vocals from Mike, great guitar-playing with both heavy riffs and more atmospheric pieces, funky bass-playing and groovy drumming. The song does a nice job of shifting between the calm verses and the heavy moments (during the chorus especially), and Mike Patton has one of those voices that just fits beautifully with whatever you're doing. Probably their most epic track, not just in terms of length, but it just has that quality to it. I constantly switch between softly nodding my head during the calm sections to headbanging and trying to sing along to the chorus, and it's a lot of fun. This song works both as a great ballad and as a great rocker, all baked into one nice package. One of their best songs for sure.

24. Mr. Bungle - Carry Stress In The Jaw - 9:00

Genre: Avant-Garde Metal
Album: Disco Volante

From one Mike Patton project to another, Mr. Bungle was a band that Mike Patton had on the side of Faith No More, and they released 3 amazing albums over the course of 8 years, all sort of in between Faith No More releases. While Faith No More is mostly a straight up Alternative Metal band that brings in quirky and weird elements into their music, Mr. Bungle is straight up crazy. They throw everything into the bag, and the result is one of the most captivating and groundbreaking bands of the last 25 years. "Carry Stress in the Jaw" has been one of my favorite Mr. Bungle songs ever since I first heard it. At 9 minutes long, the song just has so many weird things going on. It starts off with a weird little jazz-sounding brass section, transitions into a soft section that soon becomes a thrash metal riff extravaganza. The song has some really heavy riffs and Mike Patton lays down some incredible screams on top. We're treated to some more jazz elements as the heavy section continues to pound us with heavy drums and fast guitars, but we're treated to another calm section. One of the song's biggest strengths is that it never lets go. It never gets boring or uninteresting. It constantly switches between weird jazz-sounding brass and blazing thrash metal guitars. The second half is where the song gets even more weird, with an improvised jam that featured bassist Trevor Dunn doing some grandpa-vocals. It sounds pretty darn weird and the music that accompanies the vocals is both weird and fascinating at the same time. The wonky tonk keyboards, the western-sounding guitar, and Trevor Dunn singing sounds is just such a great thing. One of the most weird, and also best songs the band has done IMO.

23. The Smashing Pumpkins - Starla - 11:01

Genre: Alternative Rock/Space Rock/Progressive Rock
Album: Pisces Iscariot
Year: 1994

So the next track is a bit of a forgotten treasure by one of my favorite bands. "Starla" is the 11 minute epic that can be found on the B-Sides and Rarities collection Pisces Iscariot, which The Smashing Pumpkins released between their two best albums, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. If you like those two albums, Pisces is probably right up your alley as well. What I've always loved the most about the band is the instrumental aspect. You got two great guitarists in Billy Corgan and James Iha, you got a sweet bassist in D'Arcy Wretzky, and you got one of the best drummers out there IMO in Jimmy Chamberlin. The song really shines instrumentally, and the way the song builds with really heavy guitars is the big highlight for me. Starla features one of the best guitar-melodies the band has made, and the way they fully utilize it and craft an 11 minute epic around it, just really good stuff. The song starts off like a pretty calm Pumpkins-song, with some clean and gentle guitars with Billy singing peacefully on top, but the song goes through several transitions and gets slightly heavier and more "out there" after every one. By the end, the song reaches Space Rock/Progressive Rock levels of being blown out and epic. While I would say it's a really great drummer's song, it's an incredible guitarist's song. Some of the solos towards the end of the song are just insanely good. This song captures a band at their peak, writing some of the best music of their career. Such passion, such musicianship.

22. The Cure - The Same Deep Water As You - 9:22

Genre: Alternative Rock/Gothic Rock/Synth Rock
Album: Disintegration
Year: 1989

Time for one of my all time favorite bands, The Cure. They have written several long songs, but the main standout for me ever since I first heard whats IMO their best album, Disintegration, is the almost 9 ½ minute "The Same Deep Water As You". The song perfectly captures those dark and bleak feelings that the whole atmosphere is going for. Hopelessness, depression and sadness. The whole album is one of the best atmospheric albums I own, and while The Cure have always been amazing at writing really emotional music that grabs your attention, Disintegration is the biggest accomplishment of their career. I'll admit, Pornography is on the same level, but I hold Disintegration as their best. The whole album is so consistent and cohesive because all songs fit together perfectly. The Same Deep Water as You might be the longest track and also the most epic one, but what it really does is just doing what the whole album is doing - on that high level. It's an emotional listen and one of the standouts of The Cure's career. At this point, the band had started shifting towards a more synth-driven sound with very atmospheric keyboards and a more grandiose/rich/full sound compared to the more flat sound of their first releases, but I love that The Same Deep Water as You also has those post-punk-sounding guitars from the earlier albums, that works really well with the atmospheric keyboards that creates the backdrop. Just a beautiful song.  :heart

21. Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood - 12:12

Genre: Post-Metal/Sludge Metal
Album: Through Silver in Blood
Year: 1996

As some of you might remember, I recently ranked Neurosis as my favorite metal band in my top60 artists/bands thread. Here they are at number 21 with the title-track of their most popular album. "Through Silver in Blood" is the 12 minute opening track on the album with the same name, and it really sets the stage for one of the best metal albums of the last 20 years. Neurosis had already created two brilliant albums at the time, but Through Silver in Blood would prove to be their biggest success, and it basically did for them what Images & Words did for DT, what Number of the Beast did for Maiden, you get the picture. ;) What makes this song so great is really how it sets up the album with what's IMO one of the best album openers I know. It starts off pretty slow with alarming guitars and pounding drums, and when it escalates into the main riff that drives the song, we are treated to a really slow and sludgy riff. Neurosis take their time and the riffs are usually slow and heavy, there's not a fast pace in the chord progression, but each riff gets more weight to them as a result. This song is a really heavy display in sludgy riffs. Neurosis really are more to the atmospheric side of metal, and it really tells on most of their albums. I'll be honest, I could have picked 4 or 5 different tracks, but I'll always hold this one especially close to my heard, because it's such a fantastic way of opening up one of my favorite metal albums of all time. While I hold this album on the same level as The Eye of Every Storm, I tend to gravitate more towards the latter, which is more of a softer album, closer to post-rock than metal, Through Silver in Blood remains their best metal album IMO. And they have so many other amazing ones, but this album and this song.. I'll headbang all day long if needed.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Well, I guess I have some work to do.  I've only heard about 4 or 5 of these songs.  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Mladen

Not a lot of my favorites on the list so far, but I'm following. And I keep seeing this American football thing all over the web, I should probably check it out - you had me at ''interesting chord progressions''.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I think in the hands of someone else, this could have been a very different list. I'll admit, as much as I love Progressive Rock, it gets more and more rare that a long/epic progressive song blows me away. Maybe I've just come to expect that from the genre? Most bands within the genre have long songs, so it's a bit of an every day situation. That's why I'm more caught off guard when bands that aren't progressive make something long, because it's not every day for them. Bands who operate within 4-5 minute songs who suddenly drop a 10 minute song, and stuff gets interesting. I also think Prog at this point lends itself very easily to make a long song. Same goes for Ambient or Post-Rock. Those genres (for different reasons) all work very well if you wanna make a long song. Anyhow, let's get to more music! :P

20. Cult of Luna - Dark City, Dead Man - 15:47

Genre: Post-Metal
Album: Somewhere Along the Highway
Year: 2006

At number 20 we have one of my more recent metal discoveries, the Swedish Post-Metal giants Cult of Luna. While the two other giants of the genre (Neurosis and Isis) gets a lot of recognition, I constantly feel that Cult of Luna are among the more underrated and under appreciated bands within the experimental metal scene. They're pretty big, but they should be even bigger! They have put out some incredible metal albums, and I would say that Salvation and Somewhere Along the Highway are two of the best metal albums to have come out of Sweden. In fact, I would hold Salvation higher than any Opeth album, and I think that says a lot considering how much we love Opeth around here. :) Cult of Luna reminds me a lot of Isis, especially In the Absence of Truth-era Isis. The music constantly shifts between very calm, beautiful Post-Rock soundscapes to crushing guitars, heavy screaming/harsh vocals and the way they manage to intertwine the two parts is beautiful. While the band has many amazing songs and most of them are long, "Dark City, Dead Man" was the first CoL song I heard, and it remains one of their best for me. It has one of the best outros the band has ever written, and everything before the ending (which is the biggest highlight) really builds towards that epic payoff you know is going to come. Cult of Luna are truly special, and with "Dark City, Dead Man" they create a +15 minute track that really holds your attention and keeps you at the edge of your seat through the entire song.

19. Isis - Altered Course - 9:58

Genre: Post-Metal
Album: Panopticon
Year: 2004

So, third pick in a row is a Post-Metal band, and three of my favorite metal bands in a row are now covered. If I think Neurosis is the best band out of the three, Cult of Luna the most underrated, then I would say Isis is the band that has the best album out of the three. I would put Panopticon in my top15 albums without a doubt. I would probably put something by Neurosis and Cult of Luna up there as well, but Panopticon really is THE album that got me into Post-Metal. It's more instrumental than you would expect, and I think that's what helped me getting into it. The vocals are used sparingly on the album, and that gives them more weight and validity once they are used. I could have picked almost any of the 7 songs since six of them are over 7 minutes, but Altered Course is probably my current favorite. It's actually a full on instrumental, so you won't have any problems if you have a hard time with harsh vocals, since there are none to be found here. The song really takes you through many interesting ideas, and it really shows Isis at their most Post-Rock sounding state, with the metal scaled back. The long and beautiful journey towards the final climax is nothing short of breathtaking. I honestly think this could have made an amazing closer on the album, because the sense of euphoria and satisfaction that washes over me after the final outro of the song leaves me with a feeling of being happy. It's not the last song, because "Grinning Mouths" follows it. That song has more stuff happening and works amazing as the album closer as well, but there's something magical about the beautiful "Altered Course". One of my favorite instrumentals, one of my favorite post-rock songs, and one of my favorite long songs overall as you can tell by the rating.

18. Opeth - Deliverance - 13:36

Album: Deliverance
Year: 2002

Time for a band that I think many of you have waited for on this list, and that band is Opeth! Apart from Dream Theater, I hold Opeth and Tool as the other two bands that really got me into Progressive Metal, and opened my eyes to other genres than just Metal. Before those three bands, I listened pretty much only to metal, but Opeth especially really did two things for me. A. They got me into harsh vocals, and B. They made me interested in calmer music and showed me a beautiful contrast to the heavy. Now, Opeth is in a similar boat to Dream Theater. When you're making a list over your favorite long songs, Opeth has several you could pick. I have several favorites, but I did not have to think long about it to pick Deliverance. While I show my love for Blackwater Park quite often, I think the live version of that song is where it really gets godlike. The studio version is great too, but I think Deliverance stands as strong live as on album. What makes Deliverance so good is everything about it. The constant shifts between heavy riffs and Mikael growling "choking on dicks" (or "floating on mist", whatever floats your boat) and the beautiful acoustic sections that gives some nice breathers between the heavy parts. But I think the one part all Opeth fans can agree about is the ending. The ending features some of the best riffing and drumming I've heard in any metal song. I'm a fan of Axe, but I really miss Martin Lopez and his drumming. There's something magical about his drumming, and it's during moments like the outro to Deliverance, where he just takes the song to another dimension. If there's any song I can't help but air drumming to, it's Deliverance. What an incredible masterpiece of a song it is. Too bad it stops at 13:36 and doesn't go that extra minute into 13:37. (haha lol gamer/geek-joke) But yeah, it stands as Opeth's best song IMO.

17. Sigur Rós - Untitled VII - 13:00

Genre: Post-Rock/Ambient
Album: ( )
Year: 2002

From one 2002 album to another, I think most people around here knows how I feel about Sigur Rós, and especially ( ). Not only do I think it's the band's best albums, but it has been sitting comfortably in my top15/top20 albums for the last couple of years. While the album is generally considered their best by many, it might be slightly controversial that I hold Untitled 7 as the best on the album, over fan favorites like 8 or 3. What I love the most about the album are the feelings of desolation, loneliness and a bleak landscape. 7 manages to catch these attributes perfectly, and there's just something incredibly moving and magical about the slow pace of the song, the bleak atmosphere and Jonsi's vocals. The song as a whole is possibly the slowest song on the album and really takes its time to build up, but that's also part of what makes it so amazing. The song goes through calm and quiet moments, it goes through loud and intense moments, and everything just perfectly captures the atmosphere of a bleak and desolate place. If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Iceland, I want Sigur Rós in my headphones as I walk through the desolate landscape. If there's one simple thing that stays with me from the song, it's the very last thing that happens in it. Once the song goes completely quiet instrumental-wise, what we're left with is Jonsi's incredible vocals for the last 30 seconds or so, and they're just perfect. Something about them just sends shivers down my spine. It's not the most progressive Sigur Rós song or the one that has the most going for it, but I've always had a soft spot for it. I was considering putting "Festival" on the list, but I think at least for now, and for quite some time, Untitled 7 has been my favorite Sigur Rós track.

16. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize - 17:42

Album: Fear of a Blank Planet

If Opeth were expected, I don't think many of you will be surprised to see PT on this list. Now, they have a few long songs that could have been up for consideration. Dark Matter is technically a long song, and also my favorite PT song, but in comparison to the band's longest tracks, it's not THAT long. The Sky Moves Sideways was a possibility, and Arriving Somewhere is another fan favorite, even if personally I feel like it goes on too long for its own good. And lets not forget Russia on Ice! To be honest, my closest runner-up was the 14 minute version of Even Less. Still, Anesthetize remains their best "epic" in my opinion. The song really is divided into three parts. The first part is pretty calm and melodic and really builds atmosphere. FOABP is my favorite PT album, and much of it is because of the dark landscape they manage to create, which feels consistent on all songs. Anesthetize has a lot of subtleties that I just love. Many minor details that I just love. Like the guitar that kicks in at 3:46 and the solo that follows, or the instrumental section that starts off part 2 around the 5 minute mark. It's very simple with the guitars, the drums, the electronics, but my favorite is the piano/keyboard. It's SO simple, but it just works perfectly. Part 2 is without a doubt the section of the song that has the most stuff happening, and where the song really has the most meat, but let's not forget Part 3. It's incredibly beautiful and features some really great harmonized vocals. For sure one of my favorite progressive rock songs, and probably the most epic Porcupine Tree has ever been. Just listening to the song makes me long for another PT album.

So now we're at top15. I'll be fairly busy these few next days, but that won't affect my frequency of updating. However, since I'm closer to the top, I also want to give each song a more detailed write-up. So I'll probably be doing chunks of either 3 or 2 picks instead of 5. Writing these actually takes some time.  :lol

Online Mladen

Deliverance and Anesthetize  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Catching with the posts right now, there are some great songs on here and some that I've never heard before but will check out! I love the theme of this top 60.

Debutante is such a great song, I was just listening to it while making some dinner. I'd have some Kaki King hit my list, she has had a few long sonds.