Author Topic: MP getting insulted  (Read 25774 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: MP getting insulted
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
Just found out that The Windery Dogs will be playing in my city this upcoming Sunday. I almost had the impulse to buy the Meet & Greet ticket, and go wearing this, just to see his reaction:  :lol

I'm gonna go to a Tim Ripper Owens signing wearing this:

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »
They're standing in the order they came into the band.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes advantage of these things to go off, knowing that it will get reported by Blabbermouth.  Keeping your name in the news isn't always a bad thing, and for as much he gripes about Blabbermouth always blowing any little thing into a headline, he at this point probably sees it as free promotion.

...and even he believes their "sensationalism" even though he constantly cautions not to.  Remember the headline "James LaBrie not sad at all that Mike Portnoy is gone" which lead Mike to respond, delete a thread about the James LaBrie solo tour on his message board (that ended up being canceled anyway), and eventually "apologize to James for believing the out of context headline"? :rollin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
I'm gonna go to a Tim Ripper Owens signing wearing this:

:lol :lol :lol thank you

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes advantage of these things to go off, knowing that it will get reported by Blabbermouth.  Keeping your name in the news isn't always a bad thing, and for as much he gripes about Blabbermouth always blowing any little thing into a headline, he at this point probably sees it as free promotion.

Great points Kev.... Gets me wondering if he's punking all of us/the fans, laughing his ass off at home.  Like he bitknows he's portraying a caricature of himself on social media at times.

I have considered that, but while these things keep his name in the news, he's also burned a lot of bridges with people. I think there's a good amount of people who view Mike as a genuinely unpleasant person, and when that happens I don't think it's in his favor anymore.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Just found out that The Windery Dogs will be playing in my city this upcoming Sunday. I almost had the impulse to buy the Meet & Greet ticket, and go wearing this, just to see his reaction:  :lol

I know you're joking, but even the idea of this is pretty dickish.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Who are those Windery Dogs? Are they any good?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
[I can't read.]
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Grizz

« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Do Winter Rose shirts exist? He seems to be on good terms with Extreme, so I guess that wouldn't hit as hard.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
A7X would be funnier.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
If I ever get the chance to go to a MP M&G I am literally going to ask him to sign a black t-shirt with giant white letters saying "MIKE MANGINI"

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2014, 01:38:57 AM »
For someone constantly dishing out opinions and criticism about <wildcard> (without being asked to) he does indeed seem to be very thin-skinned, touchy, and sensitive about the little things.

I really wonder why people are still interested in Meet & Greets when they have to fear their shoe laces are tied the wrong way and resemble the majesty symbol too closely.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
BTW, I'd like to see a DT t-shirt from 1985.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:44 AM »

...and even he believes their "sensationalism" even though he constantly cautions not to.  Remember the headline "James LaBrie not sad at all that Mike Portnoy is gone" which lead Mike to respond, delete a thread about the James LaBrie solo tour on his message board (that ended up being canceled anyway), and eventually "apologize to James for believing the out of context headline"? :rollin

DID THIS HAPPEN

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »
The only reason I'd want to go to a MP m&g is to get the rest of my DT CDs signed. Maybe a picture. I hope he doesn't get upset when I don't have any of his current bands' albums for him to sign.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2014, 03:45:41 AM »

DID THIS HAPPEN
Yes: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/portnoy-accuses-labrie-of-being-insensitive-singer-claims-his-words-were-misconstrued/

MP's apology: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2599647&mpage=3#2600050
So being James never responded to me personally and chose to do it "publically", I'd like to publically apologize to him for apparently misunderstanding his quote out of context and deleting those threads...

(although I still cant understand why it's OK for DT.net to delete MP stuff, but not vise-versa....but it's OK....it's also the last I will comment on that as well!)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:31 AM »
And before you ask, I believe the only MP stuff that was deleted from DT.net was just Mike's entry in the lineup of the band... which he voluntarily quit from.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »

DID THIS HAPPEN

Yes it happened.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2014, 07:41:06 AM »
I've never seen a human as whiny and defensive as him who is also as eager to say bad things about others.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
but he's just being honest....

:yeahright

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
I've never seen a human as whiny and defensive as him who is also as eager to say bad things about others.
I do know some people like that. The only difference is that MP is a famous musician  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
I used to work with a guy like that.  He had no problem giving everybody crap and talking shit about anyone, but the minute it got thrown back at him at all, even good-naturedly, he turned into a gigantic baby. 

Like the saying goes: if you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
I used to work with a guy like that.  He had no problem giving everybody crap and talking shit about anyone, but the minute it got thrown back at him at all, even good-naturedly, he turned into a gigantic baby. 

Like the saying goes: if you dish it out, you gotta be able to take it.

I deal with someone like this regularly, who is not real good at taking any kind of criticism coming back their way, when they're readily able to dish it.  It's maddening.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
I love the title of the thread. It really sets up the tone for everything it contains.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread here, work has kept me away for the last couple of weeks, but I think I've seen this all before.  Several times.

Mike Portnoy is the only "celebrity" I know of who is so emotionally fragile that an incident like the ADTOE shirt on someone at his signing event would knock him so far off the tracks.

I can only speak for myself as an addict/alcoholic, but Mike seems to display a very high degree of "Self-Centered Fear" where he seems to turn otherwise meaningless events and situations into some kind of attack on him  ::)    Self-Centered Fear is extremely common with us alcoholics.  Everything is about me, me, me....poor me, poor me.....eventually, if he stays on this track poor me is going to become "pour me another drink"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
And no, I don't want him to relapse.  I want him to talk to his sponsor about his problems instead of blurting out stuff like this on Facebook then deleting it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
I love the title of the thread. It really sets up the tone for everything it contains.

Quite frankly there's not enough of MP getting insulted in this thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

That's better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

Lovely. This is why we can't have nice things.

As usual, DTF making mountains out of anthills. Nothing even happened in person as far as we know. The guy showed up, got a photo, uneventful. From reading this thread, you'd think MP decked the guy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread here, work has kept me away for the last couple of weeks, but I think I've seen this all before.  Several times.

Mike Portnoy is the only "celebrity" I know of who is so emotionally fragile that an incident like the ADTOE shirt on someone at his signing event would knock him so far off the tracks.

I can only speak for myself as an addict/alcoholic, but Mike seems to display a very high degree of "Self-Centered Fear" where he seems to turn otherwise meaningless events and situations into some kind of attack on him  ::)    Self-Centered Fear is extremely common with us alcoholics.  Everything is about me, me, me....poor me, poor me.....eventually, if he stays on this track poor me is going to become "pour me another drink"

I was going to mention something along these lines but glad you did.  I'm not an alcoholic but have a younger brother who is and my GF also has a younger alcoholic brother.  So, we know all too well about the recurring behaviors.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if MP is still drinking.  Hope not.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:07:55 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lithium112

« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if MP is still drinking.
eventually, if he stays on this track poor me is going to become "pour me another drink"

Yo can we not do shit like this? It is INCREDIBLY distasteful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Yeah, guys.  It's one thing to give an opinion on this incident (such as it is).  It's quite another to make aspersions about MP's character or otherwise impugn or bash him.

Tone it down, or this thread is not long for this world.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »

As usual, DTF making mountains out of anthills. 

No, Dream Theater's ex-drummer did that all by himself.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
If it was a member of my family or one of my friends, I would explain how they could have acted more appropriately, not Crack jokes about a relapse of alcoholism, so I'll try to respond TO MP the same. I don't like the way he phrased it, but he is still human. He doesn't deserve to be tormented over a small incident.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

Lovely. This is why we can't have nice things.

As usual, DTF making mountains out of anthills. Nothing even happened in person as far as we know. The guy showed up, got a photo, uneventful. From reading this thread, you'd think MP decked the guy.

When someone you idolize and went out of your way for the opportunity to meet takes to social media and his million plus followers to bash you it does kind of feel like being punched in the gut.