Author Topic: MP getting insulted  (Read 25771 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: MP getting insulted
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
If it was me - i'd be like : "yeah this is the best album for sure."  or " This is definitely my best work "

Or something like that. Just make a joke out of it. Self effacing is always more attractive than arrogance.

Was going to say something to this effect but you beat me to it.  Yeah, it's probably silly of MP to be offended by an ADTOE t-shirt, but I'm sure we all get upset about shit that doesn't matter sometimes.  "That album was definitely my best work" is probably the best response MP could possibly have given -- show the fan that you noticed and that the shirt probably wasn't a standard choice, but show him you're not upset and that he's "in on the joke" so to speak.  Whining on the internet on the internet later, on the other hand, is probably one of the worst decisions he could have made.

I mean, seriously -- Mike's been out of the band for nearly 5 years at this point.  He should have come to terms by now with the fact that DT albums he did not play on exist.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised by the reactions here.

Maybe it's a case of overexposure, or just too many of these MP situations happening.  But I don't have much of a problem with the feeling behind the original tweet.

I mean, it's an MP event.  The guy knew he was going to an MP event.  He was a bit of a dumbass to show up in that shirt.

Did MP overreact?  Probably.  Should he have made a tweet about it?  Probably not.  But was he wrong to feel that way?  I don't think so.

And comparing it to MM signing older DT stuff is apples and oranges. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
Mangini is a classy guy who appreciates where he is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
Mangini is a classy guy who appreciates where he is.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
Hef, in this case I think it comes down to the wording that he used that makes it sketchy. I think he easily could have written something like "Wow, one guy today wore an ADTOE shirt to my signing session today. Questionable choice, I would say :)", and nobody would have given him flak for it.
It's the "REALLY? Couldn't find a 1992-2010 shirt? Please show sensibility/sensitivity..." part that got him the response. Using your own social media to rant publicly on some hapless fan who made a questionable attire choice, doesn't reflect on you.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »
Hef, in this case I think it comes down to the wording that he used that makes it sketchy. I think he easily could have written something like "Wow, one guy today wore an ADTOE shirt to my signing session today. Questionable choice, I would say :)", and nobody would have given him flak for it.
It's the "REALLY? Couldn't find a 1992-2010 shirt? Please show sensibility/sensitivity..." part that got him the response. Using your own social media to rant publicly on some hapless fan who made a questionable attire choice, doesn't reflect on you.
Oh, I agree that he worded it poorly.  But some people seem to be suggesting that he shouldn't feel a certain way in this circumstance.  I don't get that at all.

Offline emtee

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
Believe it or not there are many people out there who are more casual DT fans who have no idea Portnoy is gone. I was talking to
a musician at a local gig a few weeks ago and we were chatting about some different bands we like. DT came up and this guy
had no clue Portnoy was gone. He owned a couple early albums and very casually after that. I'm not saying that is what happened
but it's a remote possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Believe it or not there are many people out there who are more casual DT fans who have no idea Portnoy is gone. I was talking to
a musician at a local gig a few weeks ago and we were chatting about some different bands we like. DT came up and this guy
had no clue Portnoy was gone. He owned a couple early albums and very casually after that. I'm not saying that is what happened
Yeah, but is a guy who is THAT casual of a fan likely to be the kind of fan who shows up at an MP signing?

Offline emtee

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
Yeah, but is a guy who is THAT casual of a fan likely to be the kind of fan who shows up at an MP signing?

Not likely. That is why I said remote.  :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »

If heīs a casual fan who bought ADTOE, he should know MP was no longer in the band...he clearly bought the album AND the shirt!

I imagine Buce Dickinson would have felt the same way if someone turned into one of his concerts between ī94 and ī99 with an X FActor or Virtual XI t-shirt. He just didnīt have twitter or facebook to rant about it then!  ;)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
I don't think anyone's questioning how he feels about it.  It's the way he airs his dirty laundry on the interwebs and making it all about him.  He likes drawing attention to himself whether its good or bad.  Some people like that don't even know the difference because it keeps happening over and over again.  It's all about the attention.  It puts people off.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
Has anyone else considered that perhaps Mike Portnoy is losing his fucking mind? He got upset because a fan was wearing a particular T-SHIRT. I think that says it all...
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
He also thought AX7 was his new full time gig despite the band AND Dream Theater saying that wasn't the case and he'd regret it if he quit.

He did it anyway then was shocked when AX7 let him go - taking to ...yep...twitter to proclaim " You can't trust anyone. "

You were warned repeatedly. You just assumed you had control over every situation and you found out you didn't and you didn't like that feeling.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
From the dude with the ADToE shirt:

"Mike was talking about me cause I wore that shirt to the signing. It wasn/t to spark controversy, I'm simply a music fan, no matter who or who isn't in the band. But it struck a nerve with him and now it's in the media. Ugh, so much for being a diehard fan and being loyal."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
likethor=hefdaddy42 link=topic=42014.msg1838669#msg1838669 date=1406557948]

Maybe it's a case of overexposure, or just too many of these MP situations happening.  But I don't have much of a
And comparing it to MM signing older DT stuff is apples and oranges.

More like sour grapes to oranges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
  I agree that he worded it poorly.  But some people seem to be suggesting that he shouldn't feel a certain way in this circumstance.  I don't get that at all.

It's true that you can't help how you feel.  Even if you know something shouldn't bother you, sometimes is still does, and that is in itself aggravating to you, the person who feels bothered. 

The problem, of course, is putting it out there for everyone to see.  Like has been said, he would have been a lot better off just laughing it off or making a joke about it instead of reacting the way he did.  He can't be this naive anymore to think that a comment like that was gonna go over well.  As always, social media hurts more than it helps.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
I was at that Winery Dogs show last night and saw many DT shirts form SC TO BC&SL tour shirts. Didn't see a ADTOE shirt but really who cares? Someone was a fan of you enough to buy a ticket for your current project! That means they support you, NOT insult you. That person is paying to see him cause he is a Mike Portnoy fan, not to rub salt in his wounds. Mike is surely not happy playing small  clubs like Toads Place in New Haven CT. His current band is slowly building momentum. They kicked ass last night.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
Sorta off-topic, but I wish I had those SC/BC&SL vinyls  :heart

I'm glad that MP agreed to let him take a picture, though you can almost feel the tension burning through that smile. Also yay Fiji Water.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
I consider how much this guys music and DT overall has impacted my life in such a positive way over the years. The guy often makes impetuous decisions and holds on to the convictions behind them for awhile. At least, until either he sees the err in his action, or someone else points out that he might have not made the best choice and responds to it with a different mindset. He's a man with deep feelings, passions and pretty much wears his heart on his sleeve at all times, and it tends to spill out over subjects that others might not be so affected by. That's just his character, and that's how he's forever going to be.

He might not have handled this the best way, but whatever. It's really not that big of a deal imo. Guy gets a free pass from me.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
Good thing the guy didn't wear a DLR "A Little Aint Enough" shirt. Billy would be pissed too.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
Good thing the guy didn't wear a DLR "A Little Aint Enough" shirt. Billy would be pissed too.  ;)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
He can't be this naive anymore to think that a comment like that was gonna go over well.  As always, social media hurts more than it helps.

That's a big part of why it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Portnoy has way too much legitimate and business savvy for anyone to believe he can't see the reaction coming.  So why does this still seem to happen every few months like it's on a schedule or something?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
He can't be this naive anymore to think that a comment like that was gonna go over well.  As always, social media hurts more than it helps.

That's a big part of why it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Portnoy has way too much legitimate and business savvy for anyone to believe he can't see the reaction coming.  So why does this still seem to happen every few months like it's on a schedule or something?

...and when he says he won't comment on something like Mangini era DT because everything he says will be picked apart and dissected and misinterpreted no matter what he says, it shows he clearly knows how things will be taken yet he still comments when he wants to because "it's my right!"

As far as free passes, he used up all of them with me about three years ago. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
The problem, of course, is putting it out there for everyone to see.  Like has been said, he would have been a lot better off just laughing it off or making a joke about it instead of reacting the way he did. 
Yep.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
I hope to one day form a Dream Theater cover band called CROOKED STEP that exclusively plays songs with lyrics written by Mike Portnoy, but especially Never Enough and Honor Thy Father multiple times per show.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »
I would never even consider wearing a post MP shirt to a signing.  But at the same time, I would've had to actually go to a post-MP show to get one.

Also, musicians live their whole lives creating some sort of drama through their music (prog music generally tends more towards telling a story beyond "let's drink and f*ck").  It shouldn't be any surprise when, as a matter of course, life imitates art and drama follows them into real life.  If I were to recount all the times I've seen it in local bands in all these years, not to even MENTION all the times everybody sees it with national acts, I'd be posting non-stop for the rest of the week.  Even the most friendly, fan-oriented, and likeable musician that you know, has probably had their moments.

Fan should've made a better choice of a shirt, he should've mellowed out and let it go.  I find that the world often makes more sense when I just assume that everybody is an asshole and then let myself be pleasantly surprised when they show me otherwise.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:32 PM »
From the dude with the ADToE shirt:

"Mike was talking about me cause I wore that shirt to the signing. It wasn/t to spark controversy, I'm simply a music fan, no matter who or who isn't in the band. But it struck a nerve with him and now it's in the media. Ugh, so much for being a diehard fan and being loyal."

Well it seems like he certainly wasn't trying to piss off MP on purpose or troll him or anything like that... Seems like the dude was a genuine MP fan.

I agree that MP has the right to feel however he wants, and furthermore has the right to post how he is feeling on social media as he sees fit.  The part that baffles me is that he a) doesn't stop and think about the repercussions of what he is posting before he posts it and b) that he was surprised with the fan reaction to his posts.  MP, you gotta know better by now dude.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
I can't help to think that the smile that MP is giving in that picture is very hypocritical. Whether wearing the shirt was intentional or not, it doesn't justify MP's reaction. Think twice before posting something online.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »
Wow, the mp.com equivalent of this thread was just plain locked right away.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Wow, the mp.com equivalent of this thread was just plain locked right away.

No Surprise there.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »
Probably because there's nothing really to talk about.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »
That must be it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »
There's not really any DT news at the moment. Should Hef lock all the new threads because chit chat is pointless ?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
Oh man, I was on that forum that day, PetFish. I felt so bad for you too, because I know you didn't mean it in an offensive way at all. (I actually agreed with you.)

Thanks, man, I'm over it now and can laugh at myself about it.  It sounded great in my head but came out as poop... remember the alternate title:  Days and Days of Days in a Daze (on a Dais)

Being on MP's Shit List used to be pretty exclusive and required some effort but now it seems you don't really have to do anything to get on it.