Author Topic: MP getting insulted  (Read 25773 times)

Offline dodido253

MP getting insulted
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »
From MP facebook:

Somebody came to my signing today wearing a "Dramatic Turn Of Events" shirt....REALLY??? Couldn't find a DT shirt from 1985-2010? Please try to use some sensibility/sensitivity when choosing a shirt for an MP event...

:| :|

Offline Ħ

Re: MP getting insulted
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

But seriously, this isn't the sort of thing that should outrage a person. I bet this stuff happens all the time with bands that change their line-up.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
-__-

sigh...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline dodido253

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
He just deleted the status..

Sad I can't post anything on my own FB & Twitter without getting everyone jumping down my throat..seems everyone's allowed an opinion but me

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »
This is just a thought, but maybe if he jumped down other people's throats less, this wouldn't happen?

And come on, does anyone really think someone came to his signing just to passive-aggressively insult him with their shirt? Come on, man.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
 ::) Kids.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
I thought the same thing.

I just can't believe that Mike takes a ADOTE shirt *personally*.   

I know that there are people that thin-skinned, but most of them need to learn to not be quite THAT thin-skinned.     I wish he had someone close to him who could just reassure him that it's not what he thinks it is, and he just can't keep taking something like a shirt so personally.   Especially 4 years after the fact. 

The vast majority of his fans are crossover fans, and he really needs to learn to be cool with that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
In a perfect world a fan can show up to a MP signing with a post MP DT shirt and Portnoy can say, "hey that's a great album/cool shirt/whatever". Khan wouldn't whine like a bitch if I met him and I was wearing a Silverthorn shirt. You know why? Khan has said that he likes the album.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
I mean, I get why Mike would be a bit put off by a ADTOE shirt, but I think this illustrates fully the differences between the viewpoint of MP versus the viewpoint of DT fans in general on the MP/DT split.  In the mind of Mike Portnoy (I would guess, based on his comments on the matter) he views post-MP Dream Theater as a distinct entity from the previous incarnation of the band.  But in the minds of most DT fans, it's just a new period in the band's history, not a different band entirely.  While I wouldn't put it past someone, given Mike's acrimonious relationship with the DT fanbase post-2010, to wear the shirt as dick move, I think the much more likely explanation is that the fan just figured "it's a Dream Theater shirt" without consciously thinking that the album represented on the shirt did not involve Mike.  He just wanted to wear a Dream Theater shirt to an ex-Dream Theater member's book-signing. 

Again, I get why Mike would be a bit upset about it, but he should really give the guy (and fans like him) the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.  After all, the guy was at a Mike Portnoy event; he is obviously a fan of Mike as an individual, as well as Dream Theater as a band.  There is no reason the two need to be mutually exclusive.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »
 ::) What a shock ! Mike dissing Dream Theater since he quit then deleting the insults and backpedalling.

" I'm over DT "

Tell that to every interview you ever do.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Maybe MP should think about all the time for the last 20 years fans have come up to Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, Chris Collins and Charlie Dominici wearing all kinds of DT shirts and you don't hear them complain publicly.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
Whatev, I don't care.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »
I mean, I get why Mike would be a bit put off by a ADTOE shirt, but I think this illustrates fully the differences between the viewpoint of MP versus the viewpoint of DT fans in general on the MP/DT split.  In the mind of Mike Portnoy (I would guess, based on his comments on the matter) he views post-MP Dream Theater as a distinct entity from the previous incarnation of the band.  But in the minds of most DT fans, it's just a new period in the band's history, not a different band entirely.  While I wouldn't put it past someone, given Mike's acrimonious relationship with the DT fanbase post-2010, to wear the shirt as dick move, I think the much more likely explanation is that the fan just figured "it's a Dream Theater shirt" without consciously thinking that the album represented on the shirt did not involve Mike.  He just wanted to wear a Dream Theater shirt to an ex-Dream Theater member's book-signing. 

Again, I get why Mike would be a bit upset about it, but he should really give the guy (and fans like him) the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.  After all, the guy was at a Mike Portnoy event; he is obviously a fan of Mike as an individual, as well as Dream Theater as a band.  There is no reason the two need to be mutually exclusive.

Exactly.  I mean, what if this guy only had one DT shirt and just wanted to show support.  I could have done the very same thing and certainly wouldn't have thought that he would have been offended.  On the other hand, I do think that people WAAAAY overreact to EVERYTHING he says.  Granted in this case it might have been warranted but still . . . sometimes people just need to say whatever (I actually wanted to put the :idunno: thing but I didn't get it right)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
At first glance, I was sympathetic towards MP thinking that the fan asked Mike to sign the shirt (which would be in poor taste) but just showing up in the shirt?  That's just looking to be offended and he'll get no sympathy from me.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
Being somewhat put off by the shirt is one thing---and even a little understandable. But I don't think it's to the effect where it has to voiced (especially so sourly, and on Facebook/Twitter, no less). Maybe he, the fan, doesn't have another Dream Theater shirt, and was just thinking of the band as a whole unit, instead of ex-members/line-ups suddenly creating limitations. Another immature move by Mike Portnoy.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
I guess Portnoy really hates clowns...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
MP probably should have given dude the benefit of the doubt.

But personally, I'd probably be conscious of something like that and I wouldn't wear that shirt to a MP event. It's pretty insignificant but I think it'd still cross my mind that it had the potential to stir something or get some funny looks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:57:29 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »
I think his reaction was pretty silly, but considering the emotions involved (him being a founding member of DT and being an integral part of the band for 25 years, and the band being his "baby"), I can feel at least some sympathy for the guy.

A more normal reaction would have been "Oh, that guy has a Dream Theater T-Shirt. So he really loves the band that I was such an important part of for so many years, it's nice to know that your life worth of musical accomplishments is appreciated"

But instead he focused on the ADTOE aspect. Without knowing the guy in the T-shirt personally, isn't it more likely that he's just some poor guy who is a huge DT-fan, got the first DT T-shirt he could, wore it to "honor" MP without even knowing or realizing that MP wasn't on ADTOE? I find it hard to believe that he would show up just to taunt MP.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »
MP probably should have given dude the benefit of the doubt.

But personally, I'd probably be conscious of something like that and I wouldn't wear that shirt to a MP event. It's pretty insignificant but I think it'd still cross my mind that it had the potential to stir something or get some funny looks.

Well, maybe the guy just wanted to rile up MP in a friendly way. Maybe he wanted something along the lines of, "Oh, very funny, smart guy. Nice shirt!" Get a reaction, have a laugh. Like someone asking JLB to autograph a copy of WDADU.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline badger

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
Obvious unresolved issues
When did we all let you down?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
For him to act that way.. It seems like there are things related to the band/breakup that are still upsetting him. Well, obviously it's very difficult to part with something that was a huge part of your life for so long, but I guess I thought it had reached a point where there wouldn't be this kind of sourness. Seeing this happen to a fan is especially disheartening because their intentions were probably good.

I really hope those guys will be able to mend the damage someday. It doesn't have to be MP rejoining or anything like that. Just for them to be able to laugh and have a good time together again would be terrific. :) They say time heals all wounds.. I don't know about all of them, but it can certainly heal a lot.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
And to no one's surprise, Blabbermouth has picked this up.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
This guy is becoming a caricature of himself. Love it.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
And to no one's surprise, Blabbermouth has picked this up.
Hah. 'Portnoys dramatic t-shirt sensitivity'. What a headline.
Edit: I still love Portnoy. Though I do think the situation speaks for itself.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
I understand his feelings but he has to be above the people trying to provoke him.  In his position he can't do that.

It's a big WTF to Mike.  Mike we still love following you but you let the minority win.  Be better than them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »
I mean, how would you feel if someone came up to you wearing shirt with a picture of a toy that the baby you left in a divorce liked to play with on it? (These things must be discussed with baby analogies)

I can't (I actually can) believe that he's still that upset by this sort of thing. It's been a good time since he left now. Anyways, someone posted a picture of the ADTOE album cover on MP's most recent post on FB, and it has 140+ likes.  :lol

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
He didn't ask him to sign the shirt did he?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »
I don't know about the actual fan wearing the ADToE shirt or anyone else for that matter, but if it was me that wore the shirt to his signing (and I probably wouldn't; I'd wear a DT shirt from his era), and then found out he was that offended about it and saw him publicly bitch about it on Facebook/Twitter, I'd feel so, so crushed. To think that someone who's work/legacy has inspired me so much that I would want to go meet the guy and get something signed by him would feel I offended him to the degree it apparently did by simply wearing a shirt, that would then make him then vocalize how he was offended to over a million people on social media, I wouldn't feel to great about it. And you can really think he saw that status, if he has Facebook and saw it before it was deleted.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
I'm wondering what (if anything) Mike actually said to the ADTOE Shirt Guy in person. I mean, if he was irate enough to post that on Facebook several hours later, could he have actually kept his mouth shut in person? :\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
You know, if this fan had shown up with that shirt in 2011, maybe I could understand the reaction. It is the year 2014, and it's 4 years ago that he quit DT. Time to get over it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
That'd suck to be the guy who was wearing the t-shirt, especially if he didn't mean to be "insulting" He was just getting an autograph from a musician he's a fan of and then that musician goes on social media to rip on you for wearing a shirt.... That would suck.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
He just posted again on Facebook.  He can't stop himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
You know, if this fan had shown up with that shirt in 2011, maybe I could understand the reaction. It is the year 2014, and it's 4 years ago that he quit DT. Time to get over it.

Yeah, pretty much that. It's kind of sad to think that someone will Portnoy will keep stuff like this going for a long time, at least at the rate this stuff pops up. At this point, it's looking like a sign of regret more than anything.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
That'd suck to be the guy who was wearing the t-shirt, especially if he didn't mean to be "insulting" He was just getting an autograph from a musician he's a fan of and then that musician goes on social media to rip on you for wearing a shirt.... That would suck.
Exactly my point.

The person who posted the ADToE album cover as a comment to one of MP's statuses has a bunch of people bitching at him in the comments under it and it's really funny  :lol

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
Quote from: Mike Portnoy, Facebook, 7/26/2014
Once again everyone's got their panties in a bundle and have taken a post of mine and turned it into sensationalized "news"....ugh!
Look...it's as simple as this: do what you want, say what you want, listen to what you want, wear whatever shirt you want...it's a free world!!
All I'm saying is remember there are human beings on the other side of your words and actions!
I'm into peace, love and understanding...live and let live...sometimes we all get emotional, I am totally guilty of that, no question!! I am a passionate person...But I have no ill intent towards anybody and have no anger or resentments, so please don't attack me as if I do...
Can't we all get along??? Haha...
Lighten up, live and love! : )
I guess that's an apology or something...

I would definitely be crushed if I was that fan. He should heed his advice about "human beings on the other side of your words and actions", and if he doesn't want people to assume malicious intent about things he says, he should not do so about a fan who wanted to meet him. Either way, I do rather like what he posted, whether or not it's believable.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.