Poll

Vote for every band/artist that you would participate in a survivor/league/tournament for.

Avenged Sevenfold
16 (2.7%)
Between the Buried and Me
14 (2.4%)
Black Sabbath
5 (0.9%)
Blind Guardian
5 (0.9%)
Circus Maximus
11 (1.9%)
Coheed And Cambria
9 (1.5%)
Devin Townsend
22 (3.8%)
Epica
6 (1%)
Fate's Warning
9 (1.5%)
Flower Kings
9 (1.5%)
Genesis
17 (2.9%)
Iced Earth
6 (1%)
Iron Maiden
26 (4.5%)
Kamelot
12 (2.1%)
King Crimson
11 (1.9%)
Led Zeppelin
17 (2.9%)
Mastodon
11 (1.9%)
Metallica
33 (5.7%)
Muse
14 (2.4%)
Neal Morse
7 (1.2%)
Nevermore
3 (0.5%)
Nightwish
12 (2.1%)
Opeth
33 (5.7%)
Pain of Salvation
18 (3.1%)
Pink Floyd
36 (6.2%)
Porcupine Tree
41 (7%)
Queen
12 (2.1%)
Queensryche
15 (2.6%)
Radiohead
13 (2.2%)
Redemption
8 (1.4%)
Rush
33 (5.7%)
Shadow Gallery
4 (0.7%)
Spock's Beard
15 (2.6%)
Stratovarius
7 (1.2%)
Symphony X
32 (5.5%)
Tool
19 (3.3%)
Vanden Plas
5 (0.9%)
Yes
16 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Breathing some life into Polls/Survivors......  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Breathing some life into Polls/Survivors......
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »
I did the Pain of Salvation one last year and I could do it again this year if people want.

Same thing goes for Haken (which is not mentioned in the list); I did one in 2012 and 2013. I could do it again as well.

I would definitely participate in Haken.
Me too, naturally. Maybe wait until Restoration has come out, so that can be included?

Yes, I did have that in mind! So I'll start it near the end of October, okay? :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
I'm up for running a Porcupine Tree survivor if there's interest. Starting no earlier than October 18th.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
Well, it's leading in the poll so clearly there's some interest.  ;) I'll certainly participate in it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
BUMP

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 10:25:48 AM »
First time I see this thread, there's a lot of these that I would participate in, I don't know if these have been done before, but I would also join/host Alter Bridge, Protest the Hero and maybe The Mars Volta and/or The Dear Hunter.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
I would consider hosting an Iron Maiden survivor if there was sufficient interest. Looks like the last one was a couple of years ago, I don't know if that's been long enough. There has been a new album recently, so I figure it would be good.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
Out of this list, I'd only be interested in A7X, Epica, Coheed, Muse and Tool.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
I'm waiting for Spock's Beard and/or Marillion myself. I have 8/12 and 6/17 of their albums respectively, and will probably collect more before anyone takes these survivors up.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
I'll do Kamelot after Nightwish Survivor, maybe I'll use a short break to host Beyond the Bridge album survivor or whatever, but Kamelot is certainly in my plans for the future.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
I'm waiting for Spock's Beard and/or Marillion myself. I have 8/12 and 6/17 of their albums respectively, and will probably collect more before anyone takes these survivors up.

I plan on doing Spock's Beard after my Neal Morse Survivor wraps up. It'll be just long enough after The Oblivion Particle for everyone to have had a chance to let it settle in. The last time I did the SB Survivor was back in 2013, not long after BNADS came out, so it's about time for the new one!

I did Marillion back in 2011, before Sounds That Can't Be Made came out, but they're working on a new album soon so that'll be out next year, and I may wait until that album is almost out before I start that one.

between SB and Marillion, however, I may do Genesis again, which I last did in 2012. If there's enough demand for it, I will do one again!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »

The last time I did the SB Survivor was back in 2013, not long after BNADS came out, so it's about time for the new one!

Strange, I can't remember that one. I thought BNADS hadn't been done in a survivor before, so the next one would have two new albums included.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »

The last time I did the SB Survivor was back in 2013, not long after BNADS came out, so it's about time for the new one!

Strange, I can't remember that one. I thought BNADS hadn't been done in a survivor before, so the next one would have two new albums included.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36483.0

I ran it from April to August of 2013...maybe you weren't participating in Survivors at the time?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 12:49:08 AM »
I'd like to run a Steven Wilson Survivor - just wondering if I should include his side projects or just his solo career. And if there's enough people interested of course :P

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »
I'd like to run a Steven Wilson Survivor - just wondering if I should include his side projects or just his solo career. And if there's enough people interested of course :P

Go for it. I ran the last one, in 2013, and was going to do one this year, but things happened and I lost interest before it began. The 2013 run got quite a few voters, so you should be good on that front. Personally I'm not so sure about the side projects myself. I attempted a Blackfield survivor once and couldn't complete the Finals due to lack of voters. It's up to you of course though.

I've been half-thinking over the last few days about trying again with it, but then I thought I might wait until the new EP came out next year, so I could include that, but if you want to run it sooner, you can.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
I'd be interested in Steven Wilson survivor, but I agree that waiting for the new EP before starting is a good idea.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Nice! I was actually thinking about making a meta-Steven survivor, combining all of his projects, PT included. Since the PT survivor finished not so long ago, I'd just take the songs that made it to the finaks, and maybe a couple more just in case. And leave bonus tracks/b-sides at the end (this new EP will already be a couple of months old by the time), after going through his other projects, and THEN start the definitive finals sometime next year.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 01:02:51 AM »
Nice! I was actually thinking about making a meta-Steven survivor, combining all of his projects, PT included. Since the PT survivor finished not so long ago, I'd just take the songs that made it to the finals

I'm curious and slightly confused by this. So you would repeat the PT Survivor Finals (30 of them), which only happened 6 months ago? Or are you planning to include all the songs from all the projects in a single tournament? That's PT, solo, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, among others.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
Or are you planning to include all the songs from all the projects in a single tournament? That's PT, solo, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, among others.
This. I know it'd take a lot of time, and some less known albums will have to be unconsidered, but I already know to handle it :P it'd also be a great way for me to finally check some of his obscure projects like IEM and Continuum.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Uh, I'll be participating only in some certain albums then. Some of PT, all of the solo ones and Storm Corrosion (if SC is included at all).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Out of the bands listed, I voted for A7X and Metallica (part of my top three along with DT) as well as Rush. I would also love to see a Pantera survivor/league.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »
Uh, I'll be participating only in some certain albums then. Some of PT, all of the solo ones and Storm Corrosion (if SC is included at all).
I'm not sure if to include SC, since it's more of a collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt rather than a project where Steven has most of the creative control. But I can set up a poll later to ask if it should be considered or not  :P . In fact, will do a poll for every side project, so people vote his best albums first and then make a survivor with those - no use having like 3 people voting just one obscure IEM album.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »
Out of the bands listed, I voted for A7X and Metallica (part of my top three along with DT) as well as Rush. I would also love to see a Pantera survivor/league.
I'd like A7X and Metallica, I'm not sure if they've been done before, but I wouldn't be surprised if Metallica has been done, same for Rush.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »
I'd like A7X and Metallica, I'm not sure if they've been done before, but I wouldn't be surprised if Metallica has been done, same for Rush.

Metallica has been done, but it's been a few years. I don't recall A7X being done. I'd love to participate in either or both of them.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
I'm totally up for A7X. Would give me a reason to revisit their older material, since I listen mostly to the self-titled and Nightmare.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:18 PM »
I voted for Iron Maiden, Metallica, Stratovarius and Symphony X..

But I think in the list there should be more prog metal bands like Haken, Animals as Leaders and Leprous.. IMHO :|..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 11:30:11 PM »
I'm totally up for A7X. Would give me a reason to revisit their older material, since I listen mostly to the self-titled and Nightmare.
Wasn't sure if I would do Sounding the Seventh Trumpet just because it's the album pretty much everyone neglects, and I don't really know it myself, but if I were to start an A7X survivor I'd let everyone else decide.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
But I think in the list there should be more prog metal bands like Haken, Animals as Leaders and Leprous.. IMHO :| ..
I think there wasn't space enough for them there  :lol

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
Epica! Epica!  :hefdaddy