Author Topic: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums v. COMPLETED  (Read 19304 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Never much a fan of PJ, but NotB finished #30 for my list.  Probably my first "metal" album.  Hallowed is also my favorite Maiden tune.

Great pick.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Ah dude im sure in the early 80's that was a pretty metal record!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It still is today.  :2metal:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

Tommy
The Who

I know a lot of folks prefer Quadrophenia, but there’s no denying what Tommy did for concept music making. It was the first story-based concept album, and it also brought mass appreciation to themed albums. The term rock opera was born. Pete Townshend is the main composer for this album. Before he started writing Tommy, he already explored and attempted the concept format with A Quick One. But with Tommy, he became an accomplished explorer of themes and moods.

Tommy is a masterpiece. Lyrically, the storytelling takes you on an amazing journey (pun was intended), and musically with incredible themes and melodies to help tell the story about a deaf, dumb, and blind boy. While Townshend was the main writer of this album, like all Who records, it’s the all four members that truly make it a musical experience. I can’t imagine listening to “Sparks” or “Underture” without Keith Moon on those drums. John Entwhistle’s bass lines bounced beautifully from Moon’s drumming, and this record is an example on why those two are one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock n roll history. Enwhistle contributions for this album wasn’t just from his playing, but he was responsible for “Cousin Kevin” and the very uncomfortable “Fiddle About”, which in the story Tommy is sexually abused by his uncle. Then there is Roger Daltrey, who did not write a single lyric for the concept album, but still took the album to the next level with his limitless vocals. Both him and Townshend carried on the vocal duties; his was the more dominating and emotional presence on the record. His cry of “See me, feel me” is legendary.

Tommy is an album full of wonders, from “Overture” to “We’re Not Going To Take It.” It's hard to pick my favorite tracks. There's just so much wonderful melodies and interesting things to listen to. It is an album that is relevant to this day, and a blue print for all rock operas/concept albums. I love The Who, and I enjoy the hell out of this record. It's my favorite out of their great catalogue of music.

Favorite Tracks: 1921. We're Not Gonna Take It, Sparks, Christmas, Pinball Wizard

Offline Accelerando

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums Thread v. #44.."See me...feel me..."
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »
Leviathan
Mastodon

What can there be said about this album that hasn’t already been said before? Almost no other band offered such a unique take on metal with both commercial and critical success. Leviathan was a big change for the bands over all sound than their debut effort, Remission, and this is where they found their niche. Remission had such critical acclaim as well, so it wasn’t necessary to change their sound. But they did, and it was for the better in the long run. They learned how to keep up natural momentum in their albums. Every song just flows well from each other. Plus, it's a metal album based on Moby fuckin Dick  :metal

The production quality on Leviathan is amazing. Every single note feels as if it was polished to its absolute best to reach the exact right effect. My only complaint, which is a complaint I have for most modern day mixing, is how un-audible the bass can be. When it is present, it’s an anchor to the music. Growling vocals are not my cup of tea, and it makes metal music from bands like Opeth less enjoyable for me. However, there’s a more tuneful approach that Brent Hinds performs in growling that appeals to me.

The most appealing aspect about this album is the unrelenting riffs. The album opener, “Blood and Thunder”, to me, is the quintessential Mastodon riff. It’s a riff full of fire and fury, and sets the tone for Leviathan. The riffs are artful but never sacrifice the dynamics for brutality. “Iron Tusk” and “Heart Alive” beautifully blends prog with metal that would define their later work like Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye. I never been to a Mastodon concert but I’m sure when they play “Naked Burn” and “Megalodon”, that mosh pit is ferocious.

Leviathan is the record where Mastodon became Mastodon. The album saw them developing and honing in on their distinct craft at a moment in American metal where it couldn’t have been any more culturally relevant. It captures a moment in time, one that influenced countless bands in only the past years since its release and will undoubtedly influence countless more in the years to come.

Favorite Tracks: Blood And Thunder, Iron Tusk, Heart Alive, I Am Ahab, Megalodon

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums Thread v. #44-#43..."See me...feel me..."
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »
Leviathan made my top 20, it's simply incredible, great pick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »
Great last several updates. :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 10:04:07 PM »
You're off to an epic start!  Angel Dust, Black Halo, Ten...all phenominal works!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
Thank you all kindly!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 03:22:31 AM »
Leviathan is great!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
Stankonia
Outkast

Outkast is the most progressive hip hop acts of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. They craft their music with 70’s funkadelic psych with the pimp disco of Rick James and the harmonics of 70’s rock acts like Queen and David Bowie. Outkast are Andre Benjamin and Antwan Patton, two Atlanta based musicians that we know as Andre 3000 and Big Boi. Both have their own unique styles that are so different, but rather just compliment each other. Probably why I wasn’t a big fan one of their later efforts, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, a 2 disc record which both members of the group went solo. Big Boi is bareknuckled and street savvy while Andre 3000 brings avant-garde theatrics. They became mainstream heroes with Aquemini, defying what hip hop music playing on radios was suppose to be. Instead, they didn’t listen what people told them they should do to sell records. They kept it real, and kept it right.

Aquemini was so good that they couldn’t possibly outdo themselves, right? Wrong. They made Stankonia, arguably one of the best hip/hop albums of the 2000-decade. In the intro track, they say “Welcome to Stankonia, the place where all funky things come from.” Far from an understatement, this album makes that believable. “So Fresh, So Clean” is drenched in funk. The snares and hi-hats serve as the perfect pulse for this song. However, funk is hardly the only thing on this album, though. The influences range from soul, hip/hop, jungle bass and drum rhythms, and rock. It is, as Big Boi says in the album, "Cooler than Freddie Jackson sipping on a milkshake in a snowstorm" The album is unpredictable as Outkast pull out a bag of tricks with this album.

With the wide variety of musical styles comes variety of topics, from politicking to humorous, cartoon dementia. Their word play is so much fun, like “stank” is sort of a measure of authenticity, so there are some kooky confections like “underground smellroad” and “I stank I can, I stank I can” ala The Little Engine That Could. There is also an ongoing theme of the status of women in hip/hop and it contrasts with the mistreatment of women that is common in rap music. Their famous “Ms. Jackson” song is an apology letter Andre 3000’s ex-girlfriends mother for the pain he had cause her. This song, Andre 3000 shines, with Big Boi supporting and with one of my favorite verses in their catalogue of music “She need to get a piece of the American pie and take her bite out. That’s my house. I’ll disconnect the cable and turn the lights out. And let her know her grandchild is a baby, and not a paycheck. Private school, daycare, shit medical bills I pay that.”

Stankonia is clever, hilarious, and rightfully weird. The lyrics can be satirical and deep, and that is one of the things that make this album so interesting. There was not a weirder record released the past 14 years hat would be as big a hit as Stankonia. It almost became a hit in spite of itself. That OutKast never had to sacrifice one ounce of weirdness or shed any of their quirks to become superstars is a marvel.

Favorite Tracks: Ms. Jackson, So Fresh So Clean, B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad), Red Velvet, Snappin and Trappin

Van Halen

My favorite era of Van Halen is the Van Hagar era. I do love David Lee Roth a frontman. He had the charisma and style, but Sammy Hagar was just a superior vocalist, and his vocal performance resonated with me better. Also, I just felt that with Hagar being an experienced musician who played guitar and synths, Van Halen became a stronger band musically. That being said, I do love the Diamond Dave Van Halen years.

With that out of the way, we come to my personal favorite Van Halen record, 5150. I don't view this album as the debut of Sammy Hagar in the line-up, but rather much as I see it as being a further development upon the melodic heights in which the band reached. I love it because I love Van Halen ballads, and 5150 contains some of their very best ballads. “Dreams” is a personal favorite song of mine. It’s definitely in my top 10 of all time. The production is pumped up and pristine, with searing, creative guitar work by Eddie, spot-on drumming by his brother and heartfelt vocals by Hagar.

While the album is very balladly, make no mistake that there are some rockin’ tunes on this record. The opening track, “Good Enough”, proves that. “Get Up” is fast paced track with fun drumming and guitar work. Amongst my favorites is "Summer Nights" and "Best of Both Worlds", two fantastic rock tracks where I think the bonding of both Eddie and Sammy really shine as songwriters. The music captures a mood with a riff, which, when coupled with Hagar's lyrics, evokes a palpable vibe of summertime.

5150 shines in the bands catalogue of music. The ballads especially, with Sammy able to hit those higher notes, reign supreme. Still plenty of blazing guitar and double bass drumming, this album still sounds great today, and takes me back to a different time…a time before I was born. If I was a teenager in the 80’s, man I would have played the hell out of this record. GET UUPPP AND MAKE IT WORK! MAKE  IT WORK!

Favorite Tracks: Dreams, Why Can’t This Be Love, Best of Both Worlds, Love Walks In, Summer Nights
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:39:57 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Kilgore Trout

The music definitely makes the album for me, more than Vedders singing, because I have read the lyrics to understand what he's talking about. If Stone Gossard wasn't a member of Pearl Jam at the beginning of their career, they would have gotten no where. He was the main songwriter for this album, perfectly painting Vedder's lyrics into beautiful crafted melodies with fantastic two guitar play. Nothing against Mike McCready, but when Gossard left the band, they didn't have what it takes to even remotely channel the songwriting on Ten.

Man, Stone Gossard never left Pearl Jam. He's still in the band to this day. He wrote 1/3 of the songs on all the albums after Ten. Mike McCready hasn't written many Pearl Jam songs, only one from time to time (most of them are really good).

Offline Accelerando

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums Thread v. #42-#41..."Best of Both Worlds"
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
Who am I thinking of that left the band, or was fired? Or temporarily?  :-X

EDIT:

Sonuva biatch, it was Dave Abbruzzese. My fault!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
I will get back to my list soon folks. I had an emergency flight home to Orlando because my godmother had a stroke. Any positive thoughts/prayers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I wish your godmother the best.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:47 AM »
5150 is a great record.  I give the slight nod to FUCK as my favorite Halen album (I'm a bigger fan of the Hagar era albums).  But it's only a slight edge - 5150 is more consistent, but FUCK has some higher highs (along with lower lows).

Great pick - I think it made an honorable mention in my top 50.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
As I've just said in Brent's top 50, 5150 is 2/3 decent and 1/3 shite. I like the more commercial material but Get Up is a stinking turd and the instrumental was just filler on a short album (nothing new for VH). I preferred Dave's Eat 'em & Smile album and Vai kicked Eddie's arse in that particular battle for me. Eddie was being left behind at this point by all those who stole his "thing", not to mention the shredders who were emerging.
I hated OU812 but FUCK and Balance were good albums.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
Stankonia, one of their best (still, not nearly good as Aquemini or ATLiens imo)  :metal
Also, while i love The Who, never was a big fan of Tommy.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 02:36:39 PM »
Thank you and to those who had PMd me with well wishes. She is doing well and back at home.

Time to get back on track with a classic

Check Your Head
Beastie Boys

With Check Your Head, the Beastie Boys reinvented themselves as a groove, alt rock band. They did not abandoned rap music, but it was no longer the foundation of this record, it was simply the most prominent in a thick pot where old school rap sat comfortably with soul-jazz and hardcore punk. The Boys turned toward primitive grooves that they played themselves and some studio musicians. The music was their message this time around, so they took a step back lyrically. It was not at the forefront as it was in Licensed To Ill or Paul’s Botique. This wasn’t a bad thing, because musicians focus on the music, not just the words. The lyrics supplements the music and the mood. The musical simplicity that underpinned everything on Licensed To Ill is still here, but the group had matured. The context and variety of styles gives Check Your Head its identity.

Check Your Head, track to track, is very good. The instrumentals, like "Groove Holmes" and "In 3s", are the most intriqueing aspect of the album, I think. "So Whatcha Want" is the jewel in the crown here. The most simple drum beat in hip-hop, distorted vocals, a choppy organ riff, and a 3-note guitar lick is all there is to it. It's hard to explain exactly why, but it makes you feel like you’re the baddest motherfucker around. Each song on Check Your Head eases into the next, coming out guns blazing with “Jimmy James” and drifting off to serenity with “Namaste”.

Favorite Tracks: So Whatcha Want, Time For Livin, Gratitude, Pass The Mic, Groove Holmes

Offline Accelerando

Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head
Coldplay
2000, 2002

The first tie in my list! Originally it was just Parachutes, then I remembered how much I loved A Rush of Blood to the Head, in which I replaced it and put Parachutes in my honorable mentions. But adjusting my list, I decided I couldn’t leave either off. These two albums are wonderful, adult contemporary music. Both of these albums are different. The thing I have come to appreciate about Coldplay, especially with their newer music, is that they try not to make their albums sound like the others (sans X&Y, which was their “let’s imitate our first commercially successful album” album).

First, Parachutes. It’s a more personal portrait of this band. Parachutes probably what tagged Coldplay as moody and atmospheric, but it is without the sap. In fact, there is a Jeff Buckley approach and influence to this record in which the songs were written in a variety of styles like alt. rock to jazz and blues styles, as well as Chris Martin’s falsetto vocals that he displays in some songs. It is a very intimate and earnest record, and it may contain Coldplay’s best work yet. I consider them “The forgotten ones” because it seems like the big hits that came ever since they released Rush ever gets played and not the ones that made them Coldplay. These songs include “Spies”, “Yellow”, “Don’t Panic”, and “Trouble.” They are the gems in the Coldplay’s catalogue of music.

A Rush of Blood to the Head is considered by many the quintessential Coldplay album. It is the album that put Coldplay in the limelight to stardom. They also used more electric instruments in this effort than in Parachutes, which the use of acoustics gave them a personal touch for that record. The electric guitar and piano gave them more punch and also suggested the band was more consciously shooting for the big leagues. Their singles “Clocks” , “In My Place”, and “The Scientist” are probably their most iconic, and would be the template for their less than stellar follow up album, X & Y. These singles, however, over time have become over-exposed and really are the roadblocks for a album listening experience. Not to say they are bad, because they are excellent pop songs. However, because of their success, they can be a distraction. That being said, A Rush of Blood to the Head is still a fantastic record, with beautiful songs like “Warning Sign” and “Daylight” among my favorites.

A Rush of Blood to the Head was more confident than Parachutes, but not as plotted as their future releases, giving it a casual grandiosity the band never quite recaptured. They were, in short, not yet carrying the baggage of "being Coldplay."

Favorite Tracks on Parachutes: Spies, Yellow, Don't Panic, Trouble, Sparks

Favorite Tracks on A Rush of Blood to the Head: The Scientist, Warning Sign, Clocks, Daylight, God Put A Smile On Your Face

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Yep.  Solid choices.  I remember when Coldplay first arrived and immediately having the same Buckley comparison.   Yellow and Shiver are beautiful songs, its a shame they are 'forgotten' like you say. 

I've been pretty big on Hip Hop over the last few years but haven't checked out any Beastie Boys, I will give that one a listen, though maybe I should check out Licenced to Ill first.

Offline Accelerando

I've been pretty big on Hip Hop over the last few years but haven't checked out any Beastie Boys, I will give that one a listen, though maybe I should check out Licenced to Ill first.

Licensed To Ill is solid. I would say listen to that first, then Ill Communication and Check Your Head

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
my favorite is and always will be Paul's Boutique
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Accelerando

Random Access Memories
Daft Punk

While making my list, I originally was not going to have music from the past few years in my list because I felt that maybe it was a little too soon to have albums from 2012 or 2013 to be in my Top 50 favorite albums. After thinking about it, I changed my mind. Why the hell not? If I enjoyed the album enough to call it one of my favorites, then it deserves to be on the list.

Random Access Memories is no exception. I love throw back music, but as long as it is not a carbon copy of that time. I prefer the artist have their artistic stamp on that music, and Daft Punk not only geniusly added their signature house/electronic compression sound to the sounds of 70's & 80's disco and soul music, but they did it so effectively that it really shocked the music world.

Daft Punk has created something as emotionally honest as any singer/songwriter confessional. By collaborating with artists that have influenced them, they delved in their adolescent memories, making this record their most personal work to date. When I saw that Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams, and Giorgio Moroder were all going to appear on this record, I was very intrigues. Pharrel and Nile Rodgers appeared together on two tracks: "Get Lucky", probably one of the most enduring hits of the decade so far, and "Lose Yourself To Dance", where Rodgers channeled his contribution to David Bowie's "Let's Dance" while Williams lays down a soulful falsetto worthy of Off The Wall era Michael Jackson. “Giorgio by Moroder” featured Moroder himself reciting a monologue on his life in music and Daft Punk tip their hats to him with sophisticated use of synths to create that classic Moroder sound that rode him to the top of the disco world with Donna Summers. "Touch" is a real treat. It's an emotional collaboration with Paul Williams that cycles through ambient techno, disco and melodramatic soft rock.

It’s a work of art that belongs in a museum. This isn’t an album built for the charts, it is sincere and obsessively produced quality. There wasn't album in 2013 surpassed the sheer technical wizardry and eye-popping grandeur of Random Access Memories. It strikes a perfect balance between the way the music sounds and the quality of the music itself. With this record and their brilliant TRON: Legacy soundtrack, these pair of robots are wanting to push themselves as artists, to keep us guessing, to keep us entertained, and to keep us dancing.

Eventually my top 50 albums will change. I suspect this album will be ranked much higher at that time.

Favorite Tracks: Lose Yourself To Dance, Touch, Giorgio By Moroder, Motherboard, Contact

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I had to get this album when it was released, if only because of the hype.  I really only enjoy the first song and the single(s? I can't remember).  But those songs I like a lot.  You can really hear the personality of those session cats blast through on 'Lose Yourself to Dance', that in itself makes it worth the listen. 

Offline Outcrier

Good album but i probably would rank RAM as their 3rd best album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Good album but i probably would rank RAM as their 3rd best album.
This. But still,gotta love that Giorgio track.

Offline Accelerando

Camp
Childish Gambino

Childish Gambino is Donald Glover, a young actor/comedian of "30 Rock" and "Community" fame. Since he started his hip/hop career, there have been backlash about his authenticity. Do the listeners believe what they are hearing, knowing the celebrity status of Mr. Glover? Is what he is saying being conveyed from an honest place? These are some of questions and accusations when it comes to his music. But here’s the thing: most rappers put on an alter-ego. Shocking, I know. 2 Pac, whose work I love and respect, did not come from the ghetto and was not introduced to the thug life until he created this alter ego. While Donald Glover is not a thug, he puts on this alter ego we know as Childish Gambino that will allows him to write the sort of brutally sharp lines about race, gender, society, and sexuality that would never make it into a mainstream TV show like "30 Rock" or even his contributions to "The Daily Show."

Here we have Camp, his first LP.  His previous mixtapes and EPs sort of mocked the state of rap music at that time. There was a satirical approach to those releases. However with Camp, he wanted to take a more personal approach with heavy themes of cultural ostracism. His is a great punch-line rapper, littering his lines with pop culture references, puns, and fun word play. A few of my favorites: “The realest motherfucker in the game like Tron”, “Can I stay at your place? No hobo!”, “This shit im going this year? Insanity. Made the beat and murdered it, Casey Anthony.” Gambino’s references are on another level. But this is all something I had an idea of before going into it, especially knowing his work on Community.

What really shocked me is the album’s production. It really is something that shouldn’t be looked over. The music overall is fantastc. The opening track, "Outside", is a musical theatre song with a gospel choir hook. It’s one of the most interesting songs t o listen to, hitting the right topics to set up the rest of the album. "Bonfire" is a fine example of his true rapping ability. The way he drops in to the beat and the whole flow is excellent. He also shows off his singing ability in "All Of The Shine" and "Heartbeat". Camp is has everything I want in a hip/hop album: Big production, good storytelling, fantastic content, and amazing writing. Childish Gambino is one of the best hip/hop artists around.

Favorite Tracks: Outside, Hold You Down, Fire Fly, You See Me, Bonfire

Sheer Heart Attack
Queen

Queen is a band dear to my heart, and i guarantee you'll be seeing more of their stuff on this list. I love their music, from the complex to the bizarre. They're one of the few phenomena who deliver on the hype, regardless of how you approach them. With Queen and Queen II, probably their most unrecognized pieces, they experimented how they recorded, particularly the elaborate vocals and guitar overdubs. Sheer Heart Attack not only improves on every aspect of their sound suggested by the first two records, but delivers some of the finest music of their career.

Sheer Heart Attack is probably the album where the band fully gel’d. There's a genuine excitement in hearing all the elements to Queen's sound fall into place here, as the music grows grander and catchier without sacrificing their brutal, hard attack. Queen executed the flair and style of their music from this album with melodic hooks on both their ballads and their really rockin songs like “Stone Cold Crazy.” Tracks like "Killer Queen", "In the Lap of the Gods", and "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" simply could not have appeared on previous records due to the complexity of the arrangements. The band did an amazing job by getting all of the dozens of overdubs and edits to sound like cohesive recordings.

One of the great strengths of the album is how all four members find their voices as songwriters, penning hooks that are big, bold, and insistent and crafting them in songs that work as cohesive entities instead of flourishes of ideas. Great examples of this are through their three song medley in Tenement Funsters, Flick of the Wrist, and Lily of the Valley (Us Dream Theater fans know about these songs  :metal) We get to hear the vocal performance from not just only Freddie Mercury, but drummer Roger Taylor. Taylor provided a lot of the falsettos on this record, especially in “Lap of the Gods.” This sense of scale, combined with the heavy guitars, pop hooks, and theatrical style, marks the true unveiling of Queen, making Sheer Heart Attack as the moment where they truly came into their own.

Favorite Tracks: Brighton Rock, Stone Cold Crazy, Now I’m Here, In The Lap of the Gods, Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley

Offline Lowdz

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums Thread v. #37-36..."My new purple shoes"
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
SHA is a great album. Next only to Jazz for me.

Offline Accelerando

Re: Accelerando's Top 50 Albums Thread v. #37-36..."My new purple shoes"
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
Satellite
P.O.D.

I was first introduced to P.O.D. at a Christian music festival at Universal Studios Orlando called Rock The Universe. My church’s youth group went to this, as well as Disney World’s Night of Joy, every year. In these festivals, I was introduced to artists who weren’t as popular as those you hear in the adult contemporary stations like Michael W. Smith and Third Day. Here I got to see Switchfoot, and Relient K play…way before they became well-known. However, that fall in Orlando in 2000, I saw this band hit the stage basting these hard riffs and drumming which blended hardcore punk and metal with hip/hop and reggae influences, and it they just absolutely blew my mind. They are called Payable On Death, but we know them as P.O.D.

A year after that they released their fourth album, Satellite, and I remember being so excited to go to the store after school to pick up the album on the day they released it. However, I waited a few days, because it was released on September 11, 2001. I was very shaken up from the events from that day. This album helped me heal in a way. The message of love and righting the wrongs in the world throughout this album was inspirational. With the single “Alive” already doing well before that day, they were in a unique position. The media had caught on about “Alive” and the new album that was released on September 11th , it was uplifting and it offered hope. I think a lot of people turned to that album because they suddenly surged and became the biggest Christian crossover success in the history of popular music.

Satellite does take a step back from P.O.D.’s previous records in terms of intensity. The album is excellent by all means, but delivers a softer change. Of course, why should it matter as long as the music is good? The softer melodies do work on tracks like on the title track and “Thinking About Forever.” The gem of this album is “Youth of the Nation”, which is a song about adolescent tragedy in American culture, from school shootings to suicide. It’s severe in subject matter and in songwriting, with brooding guitar notes, and a rhythm section that is nearly militant and contemplative. There is still much aggression in the CD from such tracks like “Without Jah” and the album closer “Portrait.”

Satellite is one of the most important albums of the 2000s, for its positive message during a tragic time in America, and its influence to rock artists today. Honestly, I haven't really enjoyed a P.O.D. album since 2005's Testify. It's not that they changed their sound, it's mores that their music isn't good anymore. I don't feel the passion of songwriting they had for The Fundamental Elements of Southtown, Brown, and Satellite. Luckily, I can always have their older stuff for me to go back to anytime I want to and enjoy.

Favorite Tracks: The Messenjah, Youth of the Nation, Potrait, Ridiculous, Anything Right

Furious Angels
Rob Dougan

If you ever watched first Matrix film, then most likely you heard “Clubbed To Death (Kurayamino Variation),” which happens to be one of my all time favorite songs. Kurayamino in Japanese means “of the darkness”, and the song is dark, it’s ill, and it’s just mean. It’s supposed to be a dance song, but it’s a song you can’t really dance to. Who could be mad enough to confuse yet move people like that other than Rob Dougan. He’s a composer whose brilliant genre blending music inspired trip hop and house artists like The Glitch Mob, Crystal Method, and M83. Dougan started off as a producer and remix artists who only released singles. An orchestra and a choir usually backed up his original music. A decade later after he made in the UK dance scene, he released his one and only record, Furious Angels.

This is a behemoth of a record, folks. And it’s near perfect. The flaws, such as the lack of variance in his voice, are minimal. Dougan’s genius blending of trip hop, house, classical movement, blues, and folk is absolutely reveling. It sort of plays out as a dark movie soundtrack led with orchestral-leaning electronic tracks. The inclusion of strings that give the album a dramatic ambiance yet contains a fresh feel to it. The rhythm and beats enhance Dougan’s dim journey he is taking us on.

There’s really nothing happy about this record. Dougan speaks of his demons and vulnerability that his lyrics really compliment the music. Gruff whispers and low-end rumble (similar to Leonard Cohen, actually) span the spectrum from suppressed rage, to boiling rage, to exploding volcanic rage. This is one pissed-off, damaged customer. His raspy voice growls crawls over the string arrangements, delivering poignantly earnest emotion that manages to be both ominous and bittersweet at the same time. Brilliant.

Just about every song on Furious Angels showcases Dougan's mastery at melding symphonic lushness into a throbbing atmosphere, the album as a whole feels more like a calling card, a mere introduction to Dougan and his aural pleasures that showcases his various interests in film scoring, piano bar rambling, and retrofitted club thumping. It’s a glimpse of what is and what should have been. Unfortunately, Dougan never released any original music after this release. Rob Dougan had also allegedly been working on two new albums since 2006, one original, and one classical. However, it seems like this mad genius of a composer has moved on to finer things since he became the new owner of the La Peira En Damaisela vineyard. Perhaps one day he will unleash new music. God knows Furious Angels is a roller coaster of an album. I want to go on more rides.

Favorite Tracks: Clubbed To Death, Furious Angels, I’m Not Driving Anymore, Drinking Song, Nothing At All
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:24:33 PM by Accelerando »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Good call on Satellite.  Takes me back to simpler, 12 year old me times.

Offline Xanthul

Glad to see someone appreciate Furious Angels - it would definitely be in my top 20 albums ever, it's just so different to everything else. Here's to hoping Rob D will release another album (though I honestly doubt it).

Offline Outcrier

You lost me with P.O.D.  :P

Offline mikeyd23

Man, I've had that P.O.D. album since it first came out when I was a kid... Good stuff and good memories. Satellite and Fundamental Elements of Southtown are both pretty awesome albums.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Man, I've had that P.O.D. album since it first came out when I was a kid... Good stuff and good memories. Satellite and Fundamental Elements of Southtown are both pretty awesome albums.

o/

Its pretty overlooked, but the self-titled POD album with Jason Truby of Living Sacrifice on guitar is actually really good.  The track with Phil Keaggy, 'Eternal' is so goddamn beautiful.  I think it was released just after Satellite.