Author Topic: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Round 6 Results! Time for Rd.7  (Read 22287 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Round 4 Results! Time for Rd.5
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »
Glad you liked Celeste! Mine is gonna be VERY predictable, but I'm gonna try to stir things up a bit with what song I send. Think outside the box a bit.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
Woah... Didn't expect results that quickly - nice!

And I'm glad you liked THA song. It's a great album  :metal

I'll send shortly
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
Dude, if you have only listened to Nightmares Made Flesh from Bloodbath. You need to, emphasis on NEED, listen to their EP and album after that one. Holy amazeballs are they good.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
Yay! You already have my fav bands on your list, so may I send you again an artist I'd sent you before?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
Yeah, that's fine.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
Caaaan I do that too?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
My list must be a little too extensive  :lol

Yeah that should be fine guys.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
I'll just say that my top 4 is covered in your list and I don't know if I'm allowed to send THE FLOYD so
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
I'll just say that my top 4 is covered in your list and I don't know if I'm allowed to send THE FLOYD so
If you're talking about Pink Floyd, aside from Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, I've just got the rest sitting on my computer. I guess that takes a big chunk of sendables seeing as those are arguably their 3 most revered albums amongst most, I still have yet to explore any of their other work, because I'm a dork or something.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
Well, that was quick! Glad you liked the Verdi piece :)

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
bump

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
Still need a submission from Adace, aaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd I accidentally deleted the submissions Onno sent me ahead of time, so what I'm going to do with him is let him know when he gets back and just grade him then, so eyeh, if I can get my submission from Adace, I should be able to have results up tomorrow or Monday.

Offline adace

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »
Sent. (Was gonna send sooner but I forgot. Sorry :blush)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »
So I'm a major butthead, yesterday kind of spiraled out of control, what with a large assignment I had to do, and other reasons :'(
I have a 12 hour today, but I'll probably listen to everybody's submissions when I get home from class tonight, and I'll have results up early in the morning or when I go to class tomorrow.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:42 AM »
The first four rounds went fast enough that you've earned some patience from me. I look forward to the results tomorrow!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
MoraWinterSoul: Chroma Key - Get Back In The Car
This is some chill music, and it’s atmosphere makes me think of the X-Files(in a good way). Vocals are spacey and effect laden, fitting in quite well with the music. All in all this song bleeds out atmosphere, which I like, as it keeps me in it. I’m not sure this is music I’d listen to very often, but right now it’s doing the job quite well, and I could see this being a band I listen to when I need to think. It wanders aimlessly almost, but the flow is there, and it’s a good one.
8/10

Zantera: Oceansize - A Homage to a Shame
Not sure how I feel about the clean vocals, they’re kind of close to that “radio hard rock” sound that can wear on me sometimes, but the music is a churning beast, bass thuds and guitars spit out riffage in a pleasing manner. The buildup around 1:20 that goes into that next section I’m starting to dig more, the vocals sound great here. Musically it explores, which I dug about the song, I just kind of wished the vocals matched the life the music breathes, they can be a bit underwhelming at times.
7.5/10

PROGdrummer: Genesis - The Cinema Show
Being honest, I’ve never really listened to Genesis aside from a few Phil Collins songs eheh. The song starts out gorgeously, it’s so soothing, brings back warm memories. The vocals actually sound pretty good with it, although I might see some people who don’t dig them, but I like them so that’s what counts lol. Around 2:00 when the song kind of kicks into another gear, that guitar sounds lush and tight. Sections flow incredibly well into each other, all of it gorgeous. The change of pace at 6:00 reminds me of the new Opeth album for a little bit, but it doesn’t suck like the new Opeth album, and sounds absolutely lovely. Overall, the entire song is very enjoyable, and I shall most definitely have to check out older Genesis now.
9/10

Senecadawg2: David Gray - Falling Free
Piano tunes, I can dig it. David Gray has a very folky voice, which I happen to enjoy (whatever emoticon I’m thinking of here) The song has a soothing effect to it, it makes me want to lay down, close my eyes and dream. I can’t really recall the lyrics, but I really liked them when I was listening. Thanks for sending this Seneca, this was an extremely pleasant listen, and I just might have to go listen to more from this guy. It kind of puts the mind to ease, and I could use that, after some of the events that have happened in the past day.
9/10

GentlemanofDread: Pink Floyd - Wearing the Inside Out
Dat smooth Sax, ungh. This song’s atmosphere is a sexy one, this is getting in the mood music right here. At least until the vocals come in lol. Not saying they’re bad, they actually sit well in the music, but they definitely change the mood. The song at 2:44, I can dig those synths, and the ensuing guitar solo which melts like butter in my mouth. I can pretty much dig everything about this song, and it’s definitely convinced me I should listen to more than Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.
8.5/10

Sacul: David Maxim Micic - Wrinkle Maze
A second song from David Maxim Micic, let’s see what this holds in store for me! Right off the bat I think the song takes much to much building up, and while it sounds pretty, it almost sounds like a typical score. That is until about 3 minutes in some choir vocals come in along with some more concrete instrumentation. Unfortunately it still doesn’t really catch me much. The guitar solo that follows is sleek and full of drive, but I feel like I waited to long for it to come around. I’m guessing this is a transition song, I feel like it might work better if I had a sense of what came before and after it, but merely judging it on it’s own, it provides a pretty, if not underwhelming listen.
6/10

WebRaider: Corelia - Treetops
Periphery + Between the Buried and Me. That is this band, and stunning is all I can say. I’m actually aware of this band and have the album, but I didn’t really include them because I usually just listened to The Sound of Glaciers moving until recently. The guitar tone is lush and magnificent, the vocals are gorgeous, and the harsh vocals remind me of Tommy fromm BtBaM if only with more Dynamic, while the cleans remind me of Spencer from Periphery. Everything about this song is executed flawlessly, and I really can’t wait to finally get an album from these guys, I think the wait’s been long enough.
9.5/10

Adace: Black Sabbath - N.I.B
Gotta love Black Sabbath, I put this album on my record player every once and awhile, but not often enough it would seem. Tony Iommi is a master riffsman, he can write epic stuff or a catchy riff like this that doesn’t necessarily have the flashy frills. Ozzy Osbourne sounds fantastic on this record, and sounds great on this song. This song doesn’t really show it’s age to me, aside from it’s production, this song, and album in general have never gotten old. I think that speaks volumes about Black Sabbath, they created some timeless albums, and crafted some fantastic songs.
9/10

Senecadawg2: 35.5+9= 44.5
MoraWinterSoul:  37+8= 45
Sacul: 32.5+6= 38.5
Zantera: 35+7.5= 42.5
Onno: 30(results will come later for him)
WebRaider: 33+9.5= 42.5
Adace: 36+9= 45
PROGdrummer: 31.5+9= 40.5
GenlemanofDread: 32+8.5= 40.5

Okay, Overall a pretty great round, got a nice selection of different stuff from everybody, pat yourselves on the backs for being radular!
NOW, we move on to the Round:Bring Back The Decimating Memories of Loooooooooooove.

DECIMATION
OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Pretty straightforward, send me a song that nursed you through a break up, or in the case you haven't had one of those, a really tough circumstance, etc.

Looking forward to it guys!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
I'll think a bit about this round, see if I come up with something good.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
yesterday kind of spiraled out of control, what with a large assignment I had to do, and other reasons :'(

It kind of puts the mind to ease, and I could use that, after some of the events that have happened in the past day.

I don't know what happened, but I hope everything is alright man. Whatever it may be, stay strong. Or, if you'd rather not, that's okay too.  :-*

Anyways, I'm really glad you liked the song. It's one of my all time favorites, and from my all time favorite. Actually just saw him live for the fourth time on monday night. If you do ever decide that you want to check out more of his stuff let me know. I'd encourage you to try out his older albums, in particular, but you can't really go wrong with any of them imo.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
Robin Williams death has hit me pretty hard, your song helped soothe that spot.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
I sent a song, I hope you'll like it! :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »
Damn, I knew I should have sent you another thing from David  :lol. Let's see if I can figure out a song for this round.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
The song that helped me through a breakup the most was actually Fallujah - The Dead Sea :P too bad they are already on your list.
I'll send in my song later today.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
Round 5 Results for Onno:
Onno: Haken - In Memorium
Being honest, I don’t quite like Haken, they’re very hit or miss for me. That being said, this song is one of theirs that I enjoy. It’s focused, and reminds me of Porcupine Tree. That bass guitar is beefy, and I love beefy bass, especially when it’s more than just following the guitar. Their vocalist also sounds wonderful on this song. Overall this song sounds like it could belong on a heavier Porcupine Tree record with different vocals, which isn’t a bad thing at all. If Haken could be more like this, I’d probably like them a lot more, because when they cut down on what I find to be noodling, they shine brightly. There is a section that has with the keys member that I find a bit too wonky, but it doesn’t ruin the section.
9/10

30+9= 39

Okay, back to the DECIMATING MEMORIES OF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »
Wow, glad you liked it! You already have my entry for the next round :)

Offline adace

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »
Sent for round 5.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
Sent.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
Hoping someone didn't have the same depressed coping song I have

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
Just realized I have all songs. Sorry about that. Have some homework I've got to do tonight, but I will listen to everything to tomorrow, and will have results up Wednesday.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
Well whatta ya know, I still need one submission actually. Everything else is being listened to and scored at the moment though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
Niceeee

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
Well whatta ya know, I still need one submission actually. Everything else is being listened to and scored at the moment though.

Is it Milena who hasn't submitted? Because she hasn't sent for the last couple rounds of another roulette as well, and I don't think she's been 'active' in a couple weeks.  :-\

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
Yeah  :-X
I'm going to finish grading songs this evening and will have results up tonight, I'll just let Milena catch up if she gets active again.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
Since no one else seems to want to say anything, I'll ask: what's up? Is everything okay?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
Let me apologize, it started off I was going to have results Wednesday when I found out I had (admittedly pretty simple and quick) homework, and then I had forgotten that I had a 12 hour day on Thursday, and then last night was over at a friends playing Red Dead Redemption while he recorded some bass for a friends and from their we went straight over to another friend's place for most of the night and by the time I got home I was out for the count. My apologies for delaying the results guys, entirely my fault.

But without further ado ROUND 6 RESULTS:

Senecadawg2: Kevin Gilbert- Song For a Dead Friend

melancholy pianos and a down trodden voice, this is some sad stuff. The sound of the song is one of looking back, and the lyrics reflect that. It’s a very pretty, depressed song, but one thing I don’t necessarily get down with is the vocals. They’re not bad, but they’re not something I really like either. He can obviously get the feel for the song, and he hits all the right notes, it’s just something about his voice itself that I don’t necessarily jive with. Other than that minor complaint, this was a great submission, one that I might have to save for the future.

8/10

GentlemanofDread: Johnny Cash - Hurt

Ahh, Johnny Cash, my dad’s a huge fan of Cash, and this song is definitely a familiar one. Back in early high school, you could say I was still religious, and along with going to Catholic church, I would go with my friend to his non-denominational church’s weekly youth night, and they loved to play this song before a certain part of the night full of prayer. For that reason, I kind of connect to it religious ties as opposed to tough times, although it certainly could give that feel, I’m aware of that. It’s not a song I really care for anymore, but at the same time it brings back memories of my friend and I dicking around and not paying much attention to all the religious shit going on around us, and I can appreciate that.

6.5/10

Onno: Porcupine Tree - Feel So Low

Another entry from Porcupine Tree, this song musically feels like sun washing all over me, meanwhile the lyrics describe feeling so low, and it really makes this song into something ultra fantastic. This is quite literally a perfect breakup song, while it makes me feel better the lyrics perfectly describe how one would feel. Fantastic entry Onno, This is without a doubt a song I will keep close by for any future breakup, or when I’m feeling like dirt, it is just absolutely amazing.

10/10

Sacul: Destiny Potato - Love Song

Another song from Destiny Potato I see, and entitled Love Song no less, let’s see how she goes. A nice chunky riff accompanied by some wonky vocals that shed their weirdest effects for the lovely vocals from Destiny Potato that I know of. The lyrics certainly fit within in the theme, and the synths going on behind give this song such an upbeat feel. I like that section around 2:14 that only lasts for a few seconds, but the blast beats and aggression is something I can definitely dig. The chorus is pretty tight too.(By the way, from what you’ve sent me, I’ve gotta ask do you know of Look Right Penny? They’re not active anymore do to their vocalist having to battle cancer :C but I feel like you would love them if you haven’t heard of them already!) I like the bass, and I love the part around 3:50, the playful music behind those lyrics :lol it brings a little laughter to my face. Great submission dude.

9/10

Adace: Mono - Follow The Map

This is a band I always mean to check out but just never get around to. Piano, strings, and what sounds like the little bell set(mini xylophone yay!) I had in elementary school gives this song a pull at the ol’ heart strings. Finding beauty in other things is a great way to get over a break up, and this song makes beautiful seem like an insult, it’s absolutely gorgeous, and the music video is quite pretty as well, not that that has anything to do with how I’ll rate it, but it is so nyeh! I will definitely make sure next time I get the urge to check these guys out that I actually do!

9.5/10

PROGdrummer: Porcupine Tree - Time Flies

Aww yissss, more Porcupine Tree, this time from The Incident. I’ve never checked this one out, mainly due to how split down the middle it seems to have fans, who either really like it, or find it pretty lacking compared to their past work. All I know is that this song makes me feel better, and nothing’s even wrong right now, it’s just a gorgeous song that lifts up my spirits. Guess I’ll now have to check out The Incident, as I really liked this. Also saving this for any future break ups.

9/10

Zantera: American Football - Never Meant

A very pretty song, the drums lay down a lovely beat and the guitars sound pristine and lifting. When the vocals come in, it brings back the late ’90s/early 2000’s for me, which I definitely like. The lyrics are pretty tight too. Overall this is a song that I could definitely find myself listening to after a break up, on the long walks that follow break ups for me. Fantastic submission all around, I’ll have to check out more from these guys, and save this one on a post-breakup playlist.

9.5/10

WebRaider: Alter Bridge - Blackbird

I’m a mild fan of Alter Bridge, I find their newest album absolutely radical, but never really cared to check their past work out due to experiencing a pretty awful live performance from them. But two of my best friends absolutely love Alter Bridge, and this song is one they would never stop talking about, and would often listen to, and I would absently daydream about other things. Shame on me, it’s a great song, a melancholic feel permeates the song, which when experiencing a tough breakup or event in my life, I always need something either ridiculously happy, or melancholic, and this fits the bill. Myles Kennedy dazzles with his voice, while Tremonti lays down some gawt dang solid guitar. Great submission!

9/10

Senecadawg2: 44.5+8= 52.5
Sacul: 38.5+9=47.5
Zantera: 42.5+9.5= 52
Onno: 39+10= 49
WebRaider: 42.5+9=51.5
Adace: 45+9.5=54.5
PROGdrummer: 40.5+9=49.5
GenlemanofDread: 40.5+6.5= 47

MoraWinterSoul:  45

A fantastic round guys, you really outdid yourselves!

So Round 7 would appear to be the new band round! I want you guys to send me a new band/artist you discovered this year and have grown to really like. They don't have to be a new band on the scene per say, just a band you've newly discovered this year. Get at it you dorks!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Re: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Round 6 Results! Time for Rd.7
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Bugger.