Author Topic: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Round 6 Results! Time for Rd.7  (Read 22300 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it?
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »
Also do you happen to have a last.fm we can use to kind of cheat by getting a better idea of your main interests (even though I kind of have a 'feel' already)?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 07:04:23 AM »
I actually don't have a last.fm :I I have one for school but all it has on it is the honkey tonk and old as balls blues I had to listen to for Music History  :lol
While it's long, my band list does provide a pretty decent list of my tastes, here's a top ten though if that helps!

1.Grimes
2.Kvelertak
3.Fallujah
4.Rivers of Nihil
5.Devin Townsend(errythang)
6.Death
7.Lady Gaga
8.St. Vincent
9.Dark Castle
10.Kimbra

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
No Dream Theater in your top10? For shame Dylan. FOR SHAME!

Nah j/k. Out of curiosity, how many have sent so far? :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
7, just waiting on two more.

Offline adace

Re: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Rd. 1 Has Begun
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
Sent.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
I've got all submissions in, expect results tomorrow!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
Senecadawg2: Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not
Right off the bat, I can tell this song is going to build up into a beast. The stringed instruments are lush and boy oh boy are they gorgeous, especially accompanying that acoustic guitar, and when the song finally kicks into drive about halfway through, it still keeps that gorgeous quality to it, I wasn’t really expecting the clean vocals that were in the foreground while the harsh vocals were in the background, it works wonderfully though. And when the harsh vocals do take over, it hits hard. I’ve had their album sitting in my iTunes for awhile, but I’ve never really gotten to them, I just know that a lot of people were really into them, and that they were one of Metal’s newest additions that people were excited about. I see what the buzz is about, and I’ll have to put their album on my phone now. I think they have a pretty unique sound to them, and I happen to love it.
9.5/10

GentemanofDread: The Prize Fighter Inferno - Run, Gunner, Run, Gunner Recall, Run! The Town Wants You Dead!
 I thought I recognized those vocals! Very crafty of you :P Pretty much a couple seconds in I knew I was going to like this song. Admittedly it’s nothing incredible, but don’t get the wrong idea out of what I’m saying. It’s incredibly catchy, and I like the wonky stuff in the song. I’m most definitely going to have to check out more from this album, I imagine that it would make a wonderful addition to my “Walk to School” list. Sorry I don’t have more to say, but the above is pretty much how I feel. An enjoyable song that doesn’t necessarily rock my world, but would definitely make my walks to school a more enjoyable affair.

7.5/10

Zantera: Neurosis - Stones From the Sky
I recommend the fuck out of this band to people, even though I’ve only extensively listened to their most recent album :lol, I have some other ones in my iTunes I’m just a lazy fuck and have to much music to listen to heh, but from the reputation that precedes them, I know it’s a safe bet to recommend other albums of their’s.
I like the bells, give off sort of a spooky vibe that I associate with most bells. The first few seconds of the vocals I wasn’t really into it, but within a few more seconds they lock in on the vibe and I like them a lot more. And then Scott Kelly gets fur real as do the guitars and I’m just locked into the song. This is the kind of music that I dedicate an afternoon to, it’s not something I’ll listen to very often, usually because time runs short for me these days, but I will definitely devote the time for music like this because it makes for good music to focus on.
8.5/10

Onno: Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh
So you happened to pick the one Rammstein album I’m familiar with, but I’m not going to be ridiculous and make you find something new, as I haven’t listened to it in soooooooooo long. Rammstein are weird, and I love that about them. The intro to this son is boss as fuck, and one of my favorite things about this song is how all the pieces just mold together to create a tune that’s rocking. Till Lindemann is a guy I admire, he has a presence about himself that I’ve always been drawn to. I’ve always liked the disturbing imagery their lyrics create, and Till Lindemann’s wunderbar voice accompanied with the forceful music always sounds radical
8.5/10

MoraWinterSoul: Dekka1184(Cover of Windir’s - Journey To The Rave)
This music makes me wanna find some glow in the dark supplies, my friend’s backlights, and party into the night. This is definitely something a friend of mine back home would listen to, and while it’s not something you’d normally see me listening to, you’d hear no complaints from me as we drove down main street, duck facing and head bobbing. It ebbs and flows pretty nicely, a lot of slower parts to let ya catch your breath before you throw yourself back in. And then minute 3 kicks in and dat synth is something I’d listen to for days. I love synths, especially when people get a rad sound out of them, and I like like like the sound of this one. And then just before minute 4 another part comes in and I’m like “WHAT!? NOW THERE’S TWO SYNTH LINES, AW YISSSS”. And it doesn’t stop, more and more is added and I love it all.
A very pleasant surprise, I just might have to throw this on next time my friends and I hang out.
9/10

Sacul: David Maxim Micic - Where Is Now?
I know those are keys in the beginning, but I’m the biggest sucker for things that sound like xylophones, marimbas, etc, and I love the beginning. I really like the tone of the guitars, they’re chunky and full, and I like the djent elements. When the vocals come in, it’s just a beautiful achievement on top of everything else, which is already sound fantastic. This is a ridiculously beautiful song, it swells with emotion, and it just flows on, never really getting old. Like when that violin? solo comes in, followed by the soaring vocals, gawsh it’s really pretty. And then it gets zany around the 5 minute mark, and it just goes into it perfectly. That guitar solo is weird, but it definitely rocks. I will most definitely be checking the rest of this album out, because if this is anything to go off of, I’m looking forward to some gorgeous music.
9/10

Progdrummer: Trioscapes - Blast off
Sax, bass, drums, all played by radical musicians; now this is something I can dig. This is something a friend of mine here at school would have playing in his car. It’s a very energetic song, and it grooves very tastily, I loooooove the bass guitar in this song, it is suhweet. The sax is going ham, and I like it when instruments go absolutely ham. There’s not really too much I can say about this song other than that it’s a fucking great instrumental piece, and this is a band I’ve heard about on Metalsucks.net and various places, but never got around to checking them out. I will have to get to that, as I would love to hear more from these guys.
8/10

Webraider: Fair To Midland - Heavens To Murgatroyd/ Whiskey & Ritalin
My buddy Heretic listens to these guys, but I never really thought to check them out, I just know that they have a following here. Let me tell you, I wasn’t expecting what I heard. I was certain these guys were really light proggy stuff, but that riff is heavy, and is energetic as fuck. I like how the vocals are the opposite of how music, it builds up a diverse sound. I really like the vocals though, they’re kind of dreamy, and sound fantastic. I will most certainly have to finally listen to more of these guys, as I wasn’t expecting what I heard what soever.
8.5/10

Adace: Carcass - Unfit For Human Consumption
I actually own this album lol, but I never get past the first few songs, not because I don’t like what I’m hearing, in fact I love what I’m hearing, but my music ADD always kicks in with this band and I go listen to whatever urge hits me. The riffage is delicious as fuck, the solos are radical, and I for one am glad Amott is nowhere near this, those riffs wouldn’t have been nearly as good if he had been. Carcass also have some fantastic vocals that are pretty easy to tie to them, and as always I love their drummer, his cymbal work is tasty and his playing is extremely tight. I guess I should resist the urge to listen to whatever comes to mind and stick it out for the rest of the album, seeing as I missed a kick ass song like this.
8.5/10

Senecadawg2: 9.5
MoraWinterSoul: 9
Sacul: 9
Zantera: 8.5
Onno: 8.5
Webraider: 8.5
Adace: 8.5
Progdrummer: 8
GentlemanofDread: 7.5

What a wonderful opening round guys! Ya’ll brought some excellent music to the table, and it hints at this Roulette being full of radular music!
So without further ado, let’s kick off Round 2: Atmospherical. I want your submissions to ooze a mood/feeling, and I want them to encase me in said mood/feeling.
I want to drown in it!
DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELVES, BELIEVE IN ME, WHO BELIEVES IN ALL OF YOU
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:08:44 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Woohoo! I'll keep up sending greats :biggrin:

edit: also, that Ne Obliviscaris song and album is top stuff.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:03:15 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Glad you liked Neurosis! :D Gonna think a bit about what to send next, but you'll probably have a song within the next hour or so.

Offline senecadawg2

also, that Ne Obliviscaris song and album is top stuff.

Amen  :angel:

I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed the song!

I'll be sending the next song before the end of the day.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Damn it, my craftiness has failed me! D:
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline PROGdrummer

I'll have to send my next song later when i get to a computer

Offline WebRaider

LOL, I should have known that Ne Obliviscaris was going to be used before I could get to use it in a later round ;).... really good round for certain here.

Offline senecadawg2

There's a certain band that I wanted to save for a later round, but I would be shocked if no one uses them for this round. They seem to be a very popular submission whenever the word 'atmosphere' is mentioned.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
I will most definitely be checking the rest of this album out, because if this is anything to go off of, I’m looking forward to some gorgeous music.
Bilo 3.0 is my 2013 AOTY, so you really should check it out :biggrin:.

There's a certain band that I wanted to save for a later round, but I would be shocked if no one uses them for this round. They seem to be a very popular submission whenever the word 'atmosphere' is mentioned.
I think I know who you're talking about - let's see if we don't happen to send him the same song :lol.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
I think I know who you're talking about - let's see if we don't happen to send him the same song :lol.

I actually didn't go with that band, on the hope that no one will send them this round. But now you probably have  :D

Offline PROGdrummer

sent

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

I actually didn't go with that band, on the hope that no one will send them this round. But now you probably have  :D

I think I might know which band and album you guys are talking about and I may also have sent a song from it.  :lol Inb4 Dylan gets 2-3 songs from the same band.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Glad you liked the Rammstein song! If I'd known you already were familiar with that album I could've sent you somewhere else, but I can't complain about an 8.5, can I? :P Sent for the next round!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
If someone sends a certain fave artist of mine I'll be pretty pissed :D

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
How many do you still need? :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Still need a submission from Adace.
Depending on if they get their submission to me today, I'd have results up Wednesday. I still have to listen to submissions, I moved into my new apartment yesterday  :hat and our internet's getting set up today so I didn't have a chance to listen to any submissions yesterday between the moving and ultra relaxing that happened afterwards.

If he doesn't send anything today, I'll just check in with him.

Offline adace

Sorry for the delay, been kinda busy. Sent.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Well that settles that! Should have results up tomorrow night or Wednesday morning!

Offline senecadawg2

Cool!

What are your thoughts on live songs being submitted?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I submitted one this round and I wasn't told to submit another one, so I guess we're cool.

Offline senecadawg2

Oh sweet, I didn't realize that. Thanks!  :tup

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get results up tomorrow night, have a super large project due tomorrow, but I should be working on it tonight, and the cable company who's supposed to set up our internet for our new apartment just got to it this morning, but apparently they fucked it up and didn't bother staying long enough to see if it actually worked, sooooooo eyup

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Round 2 Results: ATMOSPHERICAL
MoraWinterSoul: Anneke van Giersbergen & Danny Cavanagh - The Blower’s Daughter
Anneke! I always tell myself I ought to listen to more of her since I always find her amazing on the Devin Townsend Project albums Addicted and Epicloud. The guitar builds a calming atmosphere, and along with her voice, this is quite simply a treat for the ears. It’s incredibly soothing, and her voice drips with emotions, and soars later in the cover. The end has this chilling effect, when the acoustic guitar becomes minimalistic, and Anneke gets more and more quiet. A great submission Mora!
8.5/10

Senecadawg2: Clint Mansell - Death is the Road to Awe
Right away this builds this dense cloud of melancholy. The music flows gracefully, slowing building up, tensing at what’s possibly about to come. It would fit I imagine into a suspense movie, it keeps you on your toes, all the while building up, becoming more and more forceful, percussion seeps in, only to drawn back, before bleeding in. This song has completely drawn me into it. Around 5:20, things begin to feel like there might be an actual climax, everything begins to come in, bells, some white noise, guitar, and suddenly it’s all gone, but not for long as it comes right back, and my gawd it’s simply beautiful, in a forlorn way. AND THEN, the climax finally happens, voices soaring above bombastically dramatic music and it sends chills down your spine. Knocked it out of the park dawg.
10/10

GentlemanofDread: White Willow - Storm Season
Pulsing, haunted vocals, I like where this is heading. It drips this bone chilling atmosphere, only getting more and more haunting, in almost a playful way, with the strings starting around 2:00, dancing with mysterious tendrils. I really enjoyed this, and I’m definitely going to have to check out more from this group, as I really liked what I heard. I could see myself playing this a lot during October, when I get my halloween spirit on!
8.5/10

WebRaider: Nothing More - Pyre
Stormy weather slowly builds up, immediately giving this feeling of chill and bleakness. From the sound of it, the wind has a biting nip to it, and you can almost feel it biting at you yourself, as an icy water sloshes around limply. A little bit before the 3 minute mark, a monologue comes in, along with musical elements, only adding to this icy, bleak atmosphere. Oddly enough, the atmosphere begins to change, as though the sun has come out from behind the clouds, and you can feel the warmth hit your skin, and soak into your bones. Around 5:15, I wasn’t really expecting it to develop into this at all. it almost takes me out of it, I actually liked how bleak it was, and even that little ray of warmth, but this just wasn’t expected. I might warm(ha) up to it eventually, but it’s left me a bit jarred. But it does start raining, and bleakness does come back. Overall I liked this, I’ll have to listen to it more along with other music of theirs.
7.5/10

Sacul: Ulver -Eos
Churchlike keys open up the song, giving it this dusty, archaic feel to it, and when the vocals come in, it adds to that. The instrumentation in this song lends to create this outlandish feeling, an exotic beauty, and overall it’s charming as fuuuuuuuuck. This sounds like bedtime music, and I don’t mean that to sound like it’d put me to sleep, it would ease my mind, it’s got a soothing beauty to it.
9.5/10

PROGdrummer: Storm Corrosion - Ljudet Innan
Man you are lucky. I did not like this album one bit when it came out awhile ago, but I revisited it and liked what I heard more recently. It has an ethereal, dream like edge to it, and Mikael sounds pretty good. And when the guitar scone in a little bit more prominently, it’s luscious and fetching. It really brings things back up when Steven Wilson comes in vocally, as sometimes it feels a bit too empty before that point, but nonetheless it’s a lovely song, and when the guitar gets the foreground, some appealing sounds arise.
7.5/10

Onno: Ludovico Einaudi - Passaggio
Piano’s are always a bitchin instrument to create atmosphere. The feeling I get from this song is memories of the past, the motions mingled about those memories. Overall though, the song doesn’t really grab me though. I can feel the atmosphere, but it just doesn’t quite hit me with any emotions, for me it’s simply a well played piano piece. I know you said you took a risk Onno, and I appreciate risk takers! However this one didn’t really win me over, but it was far from a stinker as well so keep up the risks!
6/10

Zantera: Alcest - Écailles De Lune Pt. 2
Alcest! I’ve heard their past two albums, which I know are different from their past two, Shelter and Les Voyages, which I know are quite the departure, but I love this! The vocals are extreme, and they’re dripping with emotion all the same. The song feels urgent, but unlike a lot of black metal which focuses on other things, this song completely focuses on what feel the song gives off, like when that guitar comes in around 4:50, gorgeous stuff, and as the clean vocals come in, a completely different feeling takes over. I will absolutely have to check out a lot more from Alcest, seeing as I’ve found out I enjoy past and present Alcest.
9/10

Adace: Hammock - Breathturn
The song has a soothing quality to it, that washes over me like gentle waves. Guitars weave around drenched with bliss, as voices, thick with effects flow overtop, creating this absolutely gorgeous sound overall. There’s not too much more to say other than that I absolutely love this song Adace, I think you did a fantastic job this round!
9.5/10

Another wonderful round you guys! You guys are pulling out some wonderful music for this dork to listen to.

Senecadawg2: 9.5+10= 19.5
MoraWinterSoul: 9+8.5= 17.5
Sacul: 9+9.5=18.5
Zantera: 8.5+9= 17.5
Onno: 8.5+6= 14.5
WebRaider: 8.5+7.5= 16
Adace: 8.5+9.5= 18
PROGdrummer: 8+7.5= 15.5
GenlemanofDread: 7.5+8.5= 16
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:10:46 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline WebRaider

Re: Dork Castle's Roulette V.Can You Feel it? Round 2 Results!
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
 :sadpanda: Well I knew I was taking a risk with the particular song I sent... I think the atmosphere moves from the sound of the storm, water, ocean to the echoing monologue but can see having to come around to it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »

Sacul: Ulver -Eos
Churchlike keys open up the song, giving it this dusty, archaic feel to it, and when the vocals come in, it adds to that. The instrumentation in this song lends to create this outlandish feeling, an exotic beauty, and overall it’s charming as fuuuuuuuuck. This sounds like bedtime music, and I don’t mean that to sound like it’d put me to sleep, it would ease my mind, it’s got a soothing beauty to it.
9.5/10

Yup  :lol :lol

Same song I would have sent, too.

I think I might know which band and album you guys are talking about and I may also have sent a song from it.  :lol Inb4 Dylan gets 2-3 songs from the same band.

Alcest was the third option that I was considering. Always a good send for an atmosphere round, I'm glad he enjoyed it.

MoraWinterSoul: Anneke van Giersbergen & Danny Cavanagh - The Blower’s Daughter
Anneke! I always tell myself I ought to listen to more of her since I always find her amazing on the Devin Townsend Project albums Addicted and Epicloud. The guitar builds a calming atmosphere, and along with her voice, this is quite simply a treat for the ears. It’s incredibly soothing, and her voice drips with emotions, and soars later in the cover. The end has this chilling effect, when the acoustic guitar becomes minimalistic, and Anneke gets more and more quiet. A great submission Mora!
8.5/10

I also love this song! Although I enjoy the original Damien Rice version more, this is a great cover and I'm glad to see it getting some love.

I agree with Top Dork, there was a lot of great music sent this round. At least, by my standards. And I'm thrilled to have pleased with my own submission. I cannot recommend that soundtrack enough, Dylan. Or the movie that it comes from: The Fountain. It's probably my second favorite of all time, and part of that has to do with how stunning the score is.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:58:05 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
For round 3 do you prefer straight "pop" material or would you consider some songs with strong pop elements?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
If you can attach the pop genre tag to it, it's game.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
Sent!