Poll

How would you personally want the DVD released in terms of the live vocals?

Fix them up (LALP or more-so)
12 (14.1%)
Only very slightly if needed
34 (40%)
Only in an extreme case for one or two notes the whole night
18 (21.2%)
No, no changes at all please
21 (24.7%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Do you hope the vocals on the new DVD will not be tampered with?  (Read 7736 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: Do you hope the vocals on the new DVD will not be tampered with?
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
I know for a fact Score's vocals were touched up at least a little. The only audience-shot footage I've seen from Score is about 5 30 second videos, and just with that I've heard about 6 or 7 notes that were different from how they sound on the DVD. One of which wasn't even a mistake or anything, just an unnecessary change to make it slightly more like the studio version.

Okay, well, if they're changing things unnecessarily, ESPECIALLY to make them sound more like the studio version, then I definitely do NOT want to see those types of changes.

At certain parts I'd say they definitely are, at least to me. The part in Score I heard was the word "told" in "I was told if you dream of the next world" which was just hit as one note but on the DVD you hear "TOoold" (two notes) just like the album. Just one other example is that the "Haaaaand" in "Shaman take my haaand" originally had big vibrato and they re-recorded it without vibrato. And I think I already mentioned that they changed something in TROAE where I actually like the way it is in the audience recording WAAY more than I do on the DVD.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »
At certain parts I'd say they definitely are, at least to me. The part in Score I heard was the word "told" in "I was told if you dream of the next world" which was just hit as one note but on the DVD you hear "TOoold" (two notes) just like the album. Just one other example is that the "Haaaaand" in "Shaman take my haaand" originally had big vibrato and they re-recorded it without vibrato. And I think I already mentioned that they changed something in TROAE where I actually like the way it is in the audience recording WAAY more than I do on the DVD.

Okay, you're the one who started the topic by saying you want no changes at all for the new DVD. You're not helping your case, dude.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline simmy

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2014, 06:09:59 AM »
I hope they erase the vocals completely.
All the best DT sections are instrumental; imagine if they were instrumental all the time!!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:58 AM »
All the best DT sections are instrumental; imagine if they were instrumental all the time!!!
lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:38 AM »
If there are a few off-key moments or screw-ups, just fix them. I've heard a lot of fans praise James in the concert threads this year, so there probably isn't a whole lot of stuff that needs to be edited. I understand why some people want no overdubs, but fixing live albums in the studio has been normal ever since the 70s (maybe even before that). But as Marco said on the first page, there are always bootlegs if you want to hear recordings that are 100% live.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

Well, if Portnoy would have had it his way...

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Please... don't start that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »

I know this was a joke post, but for BCSL, for which an instrumental-only version exists, this is actually not too far-fetched. There's quite a few sections on that album where just instrumental works better than with vocals.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
If DT were an all-instrumental band, they wouldn't have even half the number of fans they have now :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »

I know this was a joke post, but for BCSL, for which an instrumental-only version exists, this is actually not too far-fetched. There's quite a few sections on that album where just instrumental works better than with vocals.
For me, that would work better because of the questionable lyric choices, not because of James himself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

But that version also didn't have any solos.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »

But that version also didn't have any solos.
Forgot about that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
Forgot about that.

Although I'm sure there are people out there who'd say that AROP benefited from that as well.  ::)

And then, of course, there are the stems, so people can mix it any way they like.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »
Well, I'm not a fan of AROP in any way, so even though I'm not crazy about the Bebot solo, I don't necessarily think the song would be improved by removing it, or replacing it with a different solo.  May as well leave it in there.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »
Most of the time I don't like DT lyrics, so I'd rather just hear the songs instrumentally (which is why I'm signed up anyway), but that's only true of recent albums. I would still want to hear everything from images and words with lyrics.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »

For me, that would work better because of the questionable lyric choices, not because of James himself.

Interestingly, I'm actually not making a statement about James at all. I would say his singing is one of his best on BCSL.
It's just that when you listen to BCSL instrumental, you notice how "complete" the tunes are without the vocals. And I think that was a function of how they used to write their albums, with the music completely written and tracked, and then James would fly in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Interestingly, I'm actually not making a statement about James at all.

MP on the other hand.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
Please... don't start that.

Ugh, this.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »
I'm choosing no changes at all. Mostly because what I really want out of a live DVD is a quality recording of that live performance, just like I was there, but I can watch it over and over. Also I have taken into account that (from what I know) LaBrie probably did really well that night, and there are probably a few bum notes here and there at most. Not to mention, for me it tends to distract from the listening/watching experience when I find myself constantly asking myself "Do you think that note was real?? How about that one?" because I just always tend to wonder about that stuff.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm 100% sure the DVD will be awesome whatever is done to it, but I still find this topic to be an important and interesting one to discuss.

Can't agree more!