Author Topic: JLB's best concert during the "Along For The Ride" tour?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline PwnsomeWin

JLB's best concert during the "Along For The Ride" tour?
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
It is definitely noticeable that LaBrie's voice often isn't what it used to be. I have listened to some of his current live performances, and I agree that aren't anywhere near as good as the ones during the Awake period. That being said, which concert do you guys think he sung best at in Dream Theater's most recent tour? So far, of course, since the tour isn't over yet. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: JLB's best concert during the "Along For The Ride" tour?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
From what I've heard from Philly, he was ON that night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
I'd say Manchester, Philly and Brescia.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
I've definitely noticed this current Europe leg is not at all as good as the first two legs of this tour. At the two shows I saw here in California, he was AWESOME. Absolutely blew me away both shows. For those shows, he was definitely as good at the Awake songs as pretty much any other tour.

Watch this, he's literally perfect the entire night with maybe one exception (the VA in salVAtion in IT he doesn't go for the F, but nails a C instead)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiW2GYfSwqw

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
I've definitely noticed this current Europe leg is not at all as good as the first two legs of this tour. At the two shows I saw here in California, he was AWESOME. Absolutely blew me away both shows. For those shows, he was definitely as good at the Awake songs as pretty much any other tour.

You may want to start looking for Brescia's videos.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »
Is there anything other than what's on youtube? That's funny you posted that just after I saw this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVztXxpnm0  :metal :metal :metal

Edit: Whoa I just realized there's a 34 minute video of it on youtube. Watching now. Edit 2: WOW this Space Dye Vest is AMAZING!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:29:56 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »
This is almost impossible to figure out unless you are rich and have attended ALL the shows.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:34:03 AM »
I saw one concert during the first leg - in January, in Hannover. He was great that night - one of the best gigs I have seen from him. Maybe the best from the 21 times I have seen him.

When I saw him two weeks ago in Hamburg during the second leg of this tour, I think that he was not in such a good shape. For me it was a noticeable difference between the two legs. But since I saw only two concerts, I dont think it is fair to see a trend in that.

However - with regard to the thread title: I do not think it is possible to answer this question just from some youtube videos or from witnessing a couple of concerts. And I do not think that anyone of us has seen all concerts, too.

If you like to gather really great JLB concerts from this tour, add Hannover from the first leg.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:20 AM »
This is almost impossible to figure out unless you are rich and have attended ALL the shows.

pwned...  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »
Is there anything other than what's on youtube? That's funny you posted that just after I saw this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVztXxpnm0  :metal :metal :metal

Edit: Whoa I just realized there's a 34 minute video of it on youtube. Watching now. Edit 2: WOW this Space Dye Vest is AMAZING!!
About 29:40 in that video: "There's a room at the top of the stairs..."  :rollin :rollin :rollin
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »

About 29:40 in that video: "There's a room at the top of the stairs..."  :rollin :rollin :rollin

I can explain: the concert was in the city's main square, which is framed by old buildings (I'd say seventeenth, eighteenth century). More than a few people, either casually or by choice, had access to those places and followed the concert from the building windows. It is them that James was most likely pointing at.

The scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8vmItOSAo&t=29m40s
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
This is almost impossible to figure out unless you are friends with a lot of tapers and have collected bootlegs of ALL the shows.
FTFY
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »
I saw them three times on the tour (NYC, NJ, LA) and I would say he was on fire all three nights.  He did mess up during Lie at NYC so its down to NJ and LA from my view, but I cant tell the difference from what I remember since I only remember amazingness.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »
Dayum that video exhibits some non-muddy sound... stupid northeastern venues...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:35 PM »
I wonder if the sound was actually good, or the recording made it sound better. I can hear things from recordings of the KC show I took with a phone camera that I couldn't hear at the show.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »
Well, I'm judging from the bass articulation. That usually gets worse on recordings, not better.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »

Holy shit, that scream at 0:50+  :rollin
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »

Holy shit, that scream at 0:50+  :rollin

FUCK!  :omg:

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »

This.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »

29:40?  That video is less than 2 minutes long.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »

29:40?  That video is less than 2 minutes long.  ???

He meant the 34-minute video mentioned.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Mladen

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3SDz89uX48

I think this thread is appropriate for this kind of video - wasteland and other bootleg collectors, please listen to 11:27 and tell me if you've EVER heard JLB pull this off.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »

I think this thread is appropriate for this kind of video - wasteland and other bootleg collectors, please listen to 11:27 and tell me if you've EVER heard JLB pull this off.

OH MY GOD JAMES! I heard him do something similar at the 7.18 show, that is rise up to D and back down to B, but this has so much more power and I swear he goes higher for just a split second.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 07:56:12 AM »

Yes, it's a common feature of this Summer tour, even those the one you linked was particularly good. And it's not unheard of, he used to do something extremely similar in the last leg of the Octavarium Tour, the one leading up to Score.

In the recorded Boston performance he did the embryonal phase of this sort of scream, and from there it went evolving through the legs until it converged to the 2006 version around the beginning of this leg. In Boston, though, he pulled an F# right at the end of the last line of the song, which he never did in this current leg.

Ok, enough with JLBnerding, I dread what he might think should he ever comes across this post.  :-X
- Marco

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »

How does Chicago compare?  He seemed pretty spot-on when I saw DT back in the spring.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »

Yes, it's a common feature of this Summer tour, even those the one you linked was particularly good. And it's not unheard of, he used to do something extremely similar in the last leg of the Octavarium Tour, the one leading up to Score.

In the recorded Boston performance he did the embryonal phase of this sort of scream, and from there it went evolving through the legs until it converged to the 2006 version around the beginning of this leg. In Boston, though, he pulled an F# right at the end of the last line of the song, which he never did in this current leg.

Ok, enough with JLBnerding, I dread what he might think should he ever comes across this post.  :-X

You mean F#5 right? Because typically he ends the last line with an F#4. :P

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Yes, clearly it was an F#5! There are many F#, but only the F#5 is THE F# :D

As for Chicago, I don't know, since the show wasn't recorded (or at least, I don't have it). Could you provide youtube videos or at least the show date?
- Marco

Online Mladen

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
That's very interesting to know - thanks for the info, wasteland. Although I'm a bit bummed that it wasn't a ''one of a kind'' scream that we were kind of privileged to hear.  ;)  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »
That's very interesting to know - thanks for the info, wasteland. Although I'm a bit bummed that it wasn't a ''one of a kind'' scream that we were kind of privileged to hear.  ;)  :lol

I know the feeling, but nowadays one offs are pretty rare, and I believe rightfully so. James has managed to gain back the full power of his voice after more than a decade of struggles, and it's using it to impress the folks all around the world. It's been like this for the past two years, and his only chance to stay on this level of health and performance is to stick to what ways he knows are sure and pose no threat to his condition. And this unfortunately rules out one offs, rather focusing on a process of trial and subsequent evolution.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Dudes, in that video his voice cracked. He was going for the D5->C#5->B5 that he has done recently on this song, but while he was on the C#, his voice CRACKED and happened to hit an F# for a second  :lol

As for that C# with heavy vibrato (before it cracked)-  :omg: :omg: :omg: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart

And yea at the end of Lie on the American leg he did a scream where he held out that F#4 and then at the very end slid up to like F#5. He did it at my show in Riverside, it was awesome. It was just like the screams in 6:00 and BMUBMD.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
Dudes, in that video his voice cracked. He was going for the D5->C#5->B5 that he has done recently on this song, but while he was on the C#, his voice CRACKED and happened to hit an F# for a second  :lol

As for that C# with heavy vibrato (before it cracked)-  :omg: :omg: :omg: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart

And yea at the end of Lie on the American leg he did a scream where he held out that F#4 and then at the very end slid up to like F#5. He did it at my show in Riverside, it was awesome. It was just like the screams in 6:00 and BMUBMD.

So it was meant as a kind of scream that wasn't meant to have a specific note, but happened to land at F#5 anyway? :P That's pretty lucky of him, assuming it wasn't a conscious decision. If it was, good on him for nailing it.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »
What he did on the American leg at the end of the song I think purposely lead to the F# (although maybe James doesn't know as he does it what note it is by letter-name, he hears a specific note, so it's on purpose). But in that one video where his voice cracks, that sounds like a total accident.

Just like this except not as bad or funny partially because the falter was still on a note- https://youtu.be/1Yogybuxyc4?t=7m39s

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
What he did on the American leg at the end of the song I think purposely lead to the F# (although maybe James doesn't know as he does it what note it is by letter-name, he hears a specific note, so it's on purpose). But in that one video where his voice cracks, that sounds like a total accident.

Just like this except not as bad or funny partially because the falter was still on a note- https://youtu.be/1Yogybuxyc4?t=7m39s

Offline theGonz

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
I was lucky enough to see DT when they were in Boston this year. James sounded really frickin good to me, compared to the other DT live albums (excluding Luna and score). BUT, it was also my first ever DT show, which means I don't have anything to compare the experience with...
*epic instrumental section*