Author Topic: Biggest DT-Related Positive Surprise  (Read 3218 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Biggest DT-Related Positive Surprise
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:09 AM »
Because why not?

For me, one of these was definitely yesterday's concert. I was expecting myself to be not so much involved in the show since I had already attended an identical one six month ago. At the same time I expected the heavy rain and the streak of technical problems before the show (no soundcheck was held) to somewhat result in an average at best show.

It turned out I couldn't have been more wrong in either assumptions. I enjoyed the concert just as much if not more than last January, and the band delivered just the best performance of all those I witness in person, despite the rain on stage. A night to remember!

What about you?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Biggest DT-Related Positive Surprise
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:22:14 AM »
The fact that they didn't need Portnoy to still make good music.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
F5 on the new album comes to mind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:45 AM »
Since FII was the biggest disappointment, the biggest surprise was really how good Scenes was. It was really a relief that DT was back. It was great to know that FII was just a bump in the road as opposed to a new path taken.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:30:11 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:59 AM »
DT12!

the first new album that i REALLY loved since the release of ToT...the one that definitely brought me again "close" to this band as i was nearly 10 years ago and most of all after BC&SL and ADTOE (which i really dislike)

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:47 AM »
Hearing SFAM, and Octavarium (Score version) for the first time.

Finding and buying on the second hand market a pristine new Petrucci Music Man JP6 limited edition for 1200$. That was a really good day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:25:48 AM »
Seeing them perform Repentance live with Mikael Akerfeldt and not just that they only played it once and it was an awesome surprise, but they had a quest singer as well and to even top that off, he sung the whole verse with the mic off and never noticed until he finished singing and then the band never stopped playing and went right back into the verse so he could sing it again with the mic on.  That was such an awesome surprise and made that concert very memorable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »

Yeah, this.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »
Since FII was the biggest disappointment, the biggest surprise was really how good Scenes was. It was really a relief that DT was back. It was great to know that FII was just a bump in the road as opposed to a new path taken.
Probably this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:48 AM »

Yeah, this.

You guys were actually surprised at this? Knowing Zook, I would have to think he's being sarcastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »
Let me put it this way, up to the split it was impossible to actually know what MP's influence on the music was, since all we had to go by was his statements. I was pleased to find out that in that case he had bent the truth somewhat.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »
The fact they brought Trial of Tears back for the tour I went to go see DT!  :metal
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »

Yeah, this.

You guys were actually surprised at this? Knowing Zook, I would have to think he's being sarcastic.

No, I'm actually serious. Not everything I say is sarcasm.

I don't doubt the other guys' talent, but a major change like that can seriously alter a band, and DT are different now, but are still kicking ass, and still DT. And even though I'm not the biggest fan of ADTOE, it's still better than SC and BCSL by miles.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »
maybe it could be a little OT but one of the biggest DT-related positive surprise for me was the amazing "majesty demo"...i really LOVE those tracks :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:06 AM »
I can't say Scenes being as great as it is was a surprise because a) I liked FII a lot at the time, and b) the two LTE albums were so awesome that when Rudess joined the band, I was not at all surprised that their first album with him was a total beast.

I'll go with the "new" songs that were on 5 Years in a Livetime.  I loved both Cover My Eyes and Speak to Me right away and was thrilled to have two "new" great DT songs, which I was not expecting when buying that video.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
Can't say Scenes considering I got into it along side a bunch of other great DT albums as I was really getting into the band for the first time (though it's sheer amazingness did catch me off guard, even for DT).

First thing that comes to mind? DT12!

I wasn't necessarily let down by ADTOE. It was a good album, but I didn't want to over-hype the next album for myself so I was only expecting something that matched ADTOE in quality. DT12 ended up exceeding my expectations by a pretty good margin, and every time I go back to listen to it, it's also a surprise how well it's aged.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
Space Dye Vest finally live.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
Score

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
Discovering Cleaning out the Closet. If I were to consider it a studio album, it would rank 3rd for me- higher than anything post Awake. It really blew me away.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Discovering Cleaning out the Closet. If I were to consider it a studio album, it would rank 3rd for me- higher than anything post Awake. It really blew me away.

Wow!

Offline emtee

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
1) SDoIT - I had no clue what to expect but was totally blown away by how diverse/heavy/beautiful this album was.

2) The recent Christmas CD that was given to us fans. Awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »

That's a good call. Completely unexpected.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »

Same here.  In fact, after FII I kind of wrote them off and moved on to other stuff.  Then it was something like a year after they released it, I found SFAM in the Dream Theater section of FYE and decided to give it a shot.  I was FLOORED by how awesome it was!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
Oh, I've got a good one for biggest positive surprise: Scarred.

I first got Awake in 1994, on cassette (remember those, kiddies?).  Due to running times, Scarred wasn't included on the cassette, so I had no idea it even existed.  I didn't get the album on CD until much later, maybe 99 or 2000, which meant I got to listen to a song I didn't know had existed until then.

:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
For me the biggest positive surprise had to be the first listen of DT12. The drums were a huge improvement over ADTOE. Not necessarily the playing, at least, that didn't become clear on first listen, but the fact that they were more up front in the mix. I could hear the cymbals. It was made clear that Mangini wasn't a mistake; that he had staying power in the band.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
I didn't expect IT to be THAT awesome - nor the beauty of the strings section :hefdaddy. These guys still can make awesome music.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »

I knew they didn't need Portnoy to make good music. What WAS a pleasant surprise for me was how well they handled all the OTHER aspects of running the band without Portnoy. Updating the fans, keeping recordings of all their live shows, doing more interviews, being in the spotlight. Really proud of them!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »

Indeed. 

I would say, other than this, it would be Dominici performing with them in 2004...and kicking ass. 

I always heard he was a horrible frontman and even though I hadn't really heard WDADU at that point (I was also in between the casual fan stage and diehard) I always felt bad for the guy.  When they had the reunion with him and out comes this short dude with short hair looking like he just came from a wedding reception, I thought it was cool they said "Hey, he didnt work out with the band but we still appreciate his time with us" and allowed him a chance to sing again.  I was blown away by how good he sounded and became a big Dominici fan.  He used a more natural voice at that show than he did when he was first with the band which accounts for a big reason why he sounded so good but it gave me the inspiration to give WDADU a shot and I actually liked it (and his voice) quite a bit. 

Love his solo band too. 

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »
I find it interesting how the biggest surprise and disappointment thread, both have had DTXII mentioned possibly more than anything else. Glad to see the positive side aswell because I was pleasantly surprised by it aswell.

Actually I'm probably just gonna echo a couple of things people have said that I feel a similar away about:

Indeed. 

I would say, other than this, it would be Dominici performing with them in 2004...and kicking ass
*snip*
Love his solo band too.

Happy Holidays release was amazing, we're definitely a tad spoiled and expect a lot from this band but I hope they keep up more awesome stuff like this. :P

Was also very surprised when I heard the 'Dominici' albums. Whoever this Dominici band is, they clearly love Dream Theater and take many cues from them as players and songwriters, and CDs voice is very powerful in the second and third album. (First one being a solo acoustic album, so it's got a bit of a different vibe to the other ones).

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
I really enjoyed a selection of songs from the Along For the Ride tour:
Scarred
The Dance of Eternity
Trial of Tears
Breaking All Illusions
The Mirror + Lie

Can't go wrong with those songs in the setlist...The holiday cd was great as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
Discovering this band.

But seriously, probably DT12.  ADTOE was my biggest DT related disappointment, so I was very happy with DT12.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
Space-Dye Vest finally getting played live

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »
Octavarium - the song. After TOT, my first DT album, i didn't expect such a radical difference on the follow up. And man, what a song. Gives me chills even today. To be honest i did not expect that they had such a song in them, after all those years.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »
The Count of Tuscany.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »
James' live vocals from the ADTOE tour onwards, the setlist on the AFTR tour, the Christmas CD, MM's drum solo during the ADTOE and AFTR tours and JP's guitar solo during The Best of Times.