Author Topic: Gene Simmons: 'Try Being Nice to Rich People'  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gene Simmons: 'Try Being Nice to Rich People'
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
It shouldn't surprise anyone that I tend to agree more with TempusVox; not so much on the details but on the general notion of context.  I've read enough about Gene through interviews, Q&A's on his site, books, etc., to know that he is very much a guy who believes you get rewarded for the effort you put in.  And I know from the same sources, that while he accepts the concept of luck, he leans toward the notion that you have to put yourself in position to be lucky.  He might have been lucky to meet Bill Aucoin, but it was the result of meeting with 20 others who wanted to be what Bill Aucoin was, and he picked the right one.  NO ONE sitting in their living room noodling on their guitar was going to meet Bill Aucoin by sitting in their living room noodling on their guitar. 

Knock Kiss all you want, but anyone who has any interest in being fair knows that Kiss (Gene and Paul) worked their ASSES off since 1970, and I don't care how you slice it, Ace and Peter just didn't put in that kind of effort.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
Saw this posted elsewhere:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/15/gene-simmons-depression_n_5681477.html

Great guy, that Gene Simmons, eh? :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
FYI, the HuffPo got their time line wrong, I believe.  The "kill themselves" quote was on Eddie Trunk's site over a week ago, and the latest bard about "learning English" just appeared today.

Look, not looking to defend Simmons or change anyone's mind about the guy, but at least do yourself the favor of being well-informed, and read the entire interview.   In my opinion , the language was poorly chosen, and the point poorly made, but the context of the statement was not criticism of those that were diagnosed with clinical depression, a medical condition.  It was CLEARLY in response to the sector of society - whether "clinically depressed" or not - that choose to blame others or their environment for the situations they are in, and it was said in the context of yet another series of questions about Ace and Peter. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
Where did I say I didn't read the whole interview? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »
YOU didn't, personally.   But almost every other person that has commented on this didn't, and didn't realize the context in which he was talking.   And before anyone else decided to agree with the  ":tdwn :tdwn" I was just suggesting they read the ENTIRE interview and decide for themselves rather than trust the headline.  The "you" was a collective "you". 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
That's a pretty neat trick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
What's the beef?  No trick. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »

The entire interview is right here

I have read the ENTIRE interview three times now and frankly he comes off as the fucking tool that he is, precisely how the headline reads.

There is no magical additional "context" in there that excuses his idiotic statements.  He got called on his bullshit and backtracked, plain and simple.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:52 AM »
Sure.  You're right.  Plain and simple.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »
I know

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »
Oh wait, Gene Simmons just posted to his Facebook page essentially what I have been saying all along:  he was talking in the context of his former bandmates, and not addressing the point of clinical depression at all, and acknowledges the poor-wording of his comments.  Hmmm. 

http://eddietrunk.com/kiss-frontman-gene-simmons-apologizes-for-his-recent-comments-about-depression/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »
He can back track all he wants, but at best, his comments came off as insensitive and poorly-worded, and at worst, his comments came off as dangerous and harmful.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
Gene doesn't know what he thinks about anything. He says things to stay in the headlines.

The guy voted for Obama in 2008, and goes around acting like a free market freedom fighter now.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
I see no conflict there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
He has a right to do it, sure. I just don't think Simmons puts much thought into his opinions. He likes to talk.

He voted for Obama, then endorsed Romney and said "America should be run like a business."