Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 178380 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1260 on: August 17, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Man, I miss these guys. I hope we get one more studio album. All indications point to the band, and mainly Mikael, kind of teetering out but I still love the direction they took with basically having to let the growls go.

Still my absolute go-to and favorite Fall/Winter band.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1261 on: August 17, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »
They appear to be in the process of writing a new album with the aim of releasing it in Q1 2019. I too love post growl Opeth just as much as pre growl, though I'm willing to bet I'm in the minority with that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1262 on: August 17, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
They appear to be in the process of writing a new album with the aim of releasing it in Q1 2019. I too love post growl Opeth just as much as pre growl, though I'm willing to bet I'm in the minority with that.

Would love to have a heavy Opeth album (like GR, Blackwater, Deliverance) but without the growls. The 70s sounding Opeth really bores me to death.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: August 17, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »

I'm with you there.... both eras are amazing

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1264 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Fredrik said back in July that Mikael already has nearly 12 songs written for a new album.

https://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/opeth-fredrik-akesson-about-next-album/

“We’re very much into the demoing. I’ve recorded a lot of solos so far. And Mikael [Akerfeldt, guitar/vocals] has almost already written 12 songs for the new album, so we have more material than enough for an album. But I think we will at least try to finish 15 songs. So hopefully we’ll work on song ideas very soon.“

Saying the band is aiming to release the record during the first quarter of 2019, Fredrik added:

“I’m not sure if it’s gonna happen, but we’re working towards that, and the songwriting goes very well. Mikael has been very productive these last… since January, basically. We did the last touring for ‘Sorceress‘ in November.“

As for the musical direction of the fresh material, Akesson said:

“Compared to the last three albums, I would say, if I can reveal anything, this album is more complex, more energetic, and I think it’s gonna be something.“
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1265 on: August 17, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
Sorceress sounds so pleasant without the artificial production.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1266 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
    "I think it’s gonna be something.“
This sounds like Parama anticipating a mediocre album
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1267 on: August 17, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »
Sorceress sounds so pleasant without the artificial production.
Yeah, this is so much better than the studio version. Although I don't have a problem with the retro production on the latest few albums (except for the overmuddy Sorceress), I wouldn't mind at all if they tried to capture their live sound on the next album, because it makes the songs sound beefier.
A live version of Cusp of Eternity has been released on the Sorceress' second disc. There are also a couple of live versions on youtube from festivals such as Wacken.

Heir Apparent has been released in the live album "The Devil's Orchard - Live At Rock Hard Festival 2009" and has also been played on every tour (like Cusp of Eternity) and also has official videos from festivals such as Wacken.

The Devil's Orchard is the same thing. Overplayed, featured on live cd, featured in official videos from festivals. It was also released in the live album from Plovdiv:

https://www.discogs.com/Opeth-Enslaved-Opeth-Enslaved/release/10967425

Deliverance and Demon of the Fall are also there... And this was last year..

The other songs that you didn't mention: Ghost of Perdition, Demon of the Fall, In My Time of Need, Deliverance all appeared on live albums and/or DVDs. Aside from that, they have been played over and over again on almost every tour.

So what you are getting are 3 new songs which didn't appear on live records nor DVDs. All the rest did.
Eh, festival streams generally sound terrible, and the Rock Hard recording and the Plovdiv live came with magazines and therefore weren't very easily available. This is the first time we're getting Heir Apparent, Cusp of Eternity and The Devil's Orchard on an official full-length live video. That said, I wish they'd also played some of the stuff that they did on the UK tour last November, namely Moon Above, Sun Below, Hessian Peel and Häxprocess: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2017/o2-ritz-manchester-england-53e0832d.html

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1268 on: August 17, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
That was an awesome setlist! Had me super jealous for sure!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1269 on: August 25, 2018, 06:44:28 AM »
I found this article online, and I don't know if it has ever been posted before, but I found this an interesting and at times funny read. You may not agree with the order the author puts the albums in (I did not), but the historic perspective he gives on the band's albums is quite detailed and well thought out.

https://www.stereogum.com/1902979/opeth-albums-from-worst-to-best/franchises/counting-down/
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: September 07, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
Demon of the Fall from the DVD

Looks like they had another technical mishap with the guitar like the one in The Lotus Eater on RAH :P Mikael's growls have audibly improved since The Drapery Falls from Plovdiv - good thing he stopped smoking. They'll probably never be as good as pre-2008, but the worst phase seems to be over.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1271 on: September 07, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »
Why did they slow down the tempo? I think most of the energy of that track comes from it being fast. Now it sounds like a cover band. And his growls still suck.

This is a good version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGAN5fYUsI

You have to turn to bootlegs to get a decent version.  ;D

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1272 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
I thought it was a really solid performance, thanks for sharing the video  :tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1273 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »
So they have now released 3 vids from Red Rocks. The most recent being Ghost of Perdition. I gotta say, I have no issues with Mike's vocals. He sounds fine to me.

With that said, Axe made me cringe a few times trying to play Lopez's parts. Axe has his strengths and is not a bad drummer by any means, but his limitations show with some of Lopez's stuff.

My copy of this set should be here next week and I can't wait to have a clean sounding version of Sorceress. Really wish they would remaster that album and remove the mud.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:37:41 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1274 on: November 03, 2018, 06:17:36 AM »

I'm with you there.... both eras are amazing

I actually love Heritage, but am pretty bored with the latter two (save for a handful of songs). With that said, I would absolutely love to get more live releases featuring the last 3 albums. Seeing Heritage live was a game changer, and after listening to some of Garden of the Titans, the material seems to work so much better in a live setting.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1275 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Hearing Ghost of Perdition live made me miss "old" Opeth.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1276 on: November 08, 2018, 12:50:51 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this one. Last Opeth gig I saw was pretty uninspired (Fortarock 2018), but on Graspop 2017 I thought they were the best band of the entire festival. Well, even amazing bands have off-days.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1277 on: November 08, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »
Demon of the Fall from the DVD

Looks like they had another technical mishap with the guitar like the one in The Lotus Eater on RAH :P Mikael's growls have audibly improved since The Drapery Falls from Plovdiv - good thing he stopped smoking. They'll probably never be as good as pre-2008, but the worst phase seems to be over.

Did he quit recently then? I thought he was only smoking pre-Blackwater Park..?

His growls sound fine, but I do miss the times where his growls sounded like he meant it. It used to sound so demonic.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1278 on: February 15, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »
so until just yesterday I figured that the abrupt start of Eternal Rains Will Come was intentional and then I discovered that the version of the song I'd been listening to all this time actually had a second or two missing at the very beginning
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1279 on: March 03, 2019, 01:22:51 AM »
Nothing like listening to Opeth while drunk at 3:30 in the morning.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: March 18, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
Mikael Åkerfeldt wanted to write a sports-themed album with a paranormal twist. The resulting Opeth record was titled...

Ghost Referees

:vomitard:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: March 28, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »

New and exclusive to Omerch

>> Limited Edition Opeth 2019/20 Football Shirt:
Bespoke manufactured in the Swedish national colours with embroidered 'Moderbolaget Records' badge and printed logos.

Pre-order now: http://bit.ly/2U3C1oA

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1282 on: April 29, 2019, 03:00:16 AM »
The following whatsapp conversation between my friend (living in Nuremberg) and me (living 4 hours from there) just took place:

Me: Dude Opeth is coming to your town in November, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend 65€ again.. Think I'm not going to do it. There are exactly two front row seats in the middle left though.
Him: DO IT
Me: DONE

So now we're going to see Opeth, both for the first time  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1283 on: April 29, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »
I'm so happy they aren't playing a seated venue in Berlin :lol 20 euros cheaper and also not sure if I would want to see Opeth sitting down really

Also gonna be my first time!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: April 29, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
Hope you will enjoy the shows guys.... seen them 6 times and all of them were really good.
Waiting for them to release a date in their and my hometown.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1285 on: May 22, 2019, 04:05:40 AM »

BIG NEWS! Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation!
"In Cauda Venenum", is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

In anticipation of the impending release, OPETH will be performing shows around the world through the end of the year. Dates are and ticketing info can be found here: www.opeth.com/tour-dates or on the "Dates, Tickets' tab on this Facebook page. Additional touring will be announced soon.

In Cauda Venenum Tracklisting:
1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro)
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime
6. Charlatan
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth
8. Banemannen / The Garroter
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1286 on: May 22, 2019, 07:17:44 AM »
Holy shit! Which version will I listen to now?  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1287 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
Stoked. Gonna get both versions. Can't wait to hear this. Will probably just stick to the English version for my sake but I'll definitely be listening to the Swedish version at least once.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #1288 on: May 22, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
Very intriguing, wonder how the vocal melodies will compare between the two languages.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1289 on: May 22, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
That artwork! 😮

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1290 on: May 22, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »
I'm assuming Charlatan is an instrumental.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #1291 on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:45 AM »
The cover photo on Opeth's facebook page is very cool as well showing the extended version of the artwork. The bottom red band is a tongue and the whole house is sitting on it.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1292 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
Great News! Really looking forward to this, I've loved the evolution of this band. I will listen to both versions, but I think I will stick to the swedish version, it's one of my favorite languages!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1293 on: May 22, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
Might buy the English version and hopefully Spotify the Swedish version.

Interesting idea, it gives a folksy vibe to it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: May 22, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
I was pretty impressed with Sorceress initially but then the novelty wore off. Pale Communium is still fantastic in my book though.

Definitely will be checking this one out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.