Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 178372 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
I'm up to Ghost Reveries now and I have to say it's probably my least favorite album so far. None of the songs are that catchy to me. Ghost of Perdition is probably the most memorable song for me but it's not "classic" Opeth by any sense. It's merely listenable. Opeth albums are growers for me though, so I'll see how the album grows over time.

I thought this at the start too when GR came out.  Now, it's easily my fav Opeth record, give it time and you will be rewarded.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #596 on: May 01, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »
No Orchid? As in for the 25th Anniversary Tour? That's a bummer...I would've killed to hear a song from that album. Oh well, we can't have 'em all can we?
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Aussie tour... I bet the anniversary setlist will once again include one song from each album besides the one getting played in full (in this case GR). Since we have official live versions of UTWM and Forest of October already, I hope they'll bust out IMSWS (assuming there'll be a DVD)! :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #597 on: May 01, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »
If it's a special anniversary gig, I think skipping the debut album is a big mistake. Imagine them busting out a song like In Mist She Was Standing (IMO one of their finest), that would be so much more special than skipping an Orchid song to play something from Heritage or PC.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #598 on: May 01, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »
This is the first time I've seen someone on this forum call "In Mist she was standing" one of Opeth's finest songs.
I couldn't agree more :hefdaddy

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #599 on: May 01, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
Or they could finally play The Twilight is my Robe Live or The Apostle in Triumph. I think if the album started with TTIMR it'd be every bit as well liked as IMSWS. I just think there are lots of Opeth fans whom discovered them after MAYH and get easily daunted by the erratic nature of the first two albums' song structures so by the time they get to track 5 they're like "Dude, I'm done."

Also, Apostle's long repetitive creepy section with all the drum vamping toward the end perfectly embodies the vibe they aimed for on Heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcszcmmSPWQ#t=444s
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
I've had a look at the set list and yes one song from every album except the debut.
Pretty happy, looking forward to tomorrow night.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: May 02, 2015, 04:48:56 AM »
Or they could finally play The Twilight is my Robe Live or The Apostle in Triumph. I think if the album started with TTIMR it'd be every bit as well liked as IMSWS. I just think there are lots of Opeth fans whom discovered them after MAYH and get easily daunted by the erratic nature of the first two albums' song structures so by the time they get to track 5 they're like "Dude, I'm done."

Also, Apostle's long repetitive creepy section with all the drum vamping toward the end perfectly embodies the vibe they aimed for on Heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcszcmmSPWQ#t=444s

The Twilight is my Robe is awesome, I love it.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #602 on: May 03, 2015, 01:54:54 AM »
Seeing them in about 2.5 hours. Keen

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
I found Lamentations at my local music store for $6 yesterday. I have not watched it yet, though I have heard that it is the band's best DVD. How do the other two compare to it?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »
It's awesome, being that the first set is all of Damnation.

I prefer The Roundhouse Tapes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #605 on: June 25, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
I guess it depends on taste. I enjoy all of their DVDs to varying degrees, but my go to live DVD would be The Roundhouse Tapes.

Weirdly enough, I love the performance of Windowpane on The Roundhouse Tapes more than the one on Lamentations (and it's the one where they played Damnation in full!). I dunno, I feel like Mikael's vocals was a lot more stronger on that performance I guess. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »
I'm not much for Damnation, so I'd say The Roundhouse Tapes is their best live album, but I would put Lamentations as nr.2 because that second half just kills it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Roundhouse Tapes is my favorite DVD, because it includes a wider selection of songs and Mikael is clearly much more comfortable in his role as the frontman.

Speaking of DVDs, I wonder if they'll record the Plovdiv show in September. Anathema filmed Universal at the same place, and the upcoming Paradise Lost DVD was shot there as well. Additionally, Opeth has the same management as Anathema and PL, so I could see this happening. Hopefully they'll play the songs with strings from Pale Communion!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #608 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
I actually have the chance to make a trip to that gig, but I'm still kinda on the fence with it. There's plenty of stuff in my life I need to sort out until then, so when the time is right for me to make the decision, I hope it won't be too late to grab tickets.  ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #609 on: June 30, 2015, 04:32:28 AM »
Personally, I love Lamentations. I've yet to see the Roundhouse tapes dvd. Got it on cd, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: July 17, 2015, 07:00:16 AM »
Yay, Opeth just posted another "mystery" pic of a city where they're going to play and it's Helsinki! :2metal: Can't wait to hear Ghost Reveries in full live! :caffeine:

In other news, Lopez plays percussion on the upcoming Amorphis album, and the first single was released today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ql4Xe6MxQ4 I've also been reading the official Amorphis biography over the past few days, and the band members recall that when they were touring with Opeth back in 2001, Lopez looked very skinny and unhealthy and had a heroin problem, but those factors didn't affect his playing. They also said that Mikael would always play an acoustic guitar or a Porcupine Tree CD on the tour bus. :D

Offline Randaran

« Reply #611 on: July 17, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
I listened to Pale Communion for the first time since December, and it is actually a very good album. With some changes to the production, many sections have the potential to be as heavy as something on Ghost Reveries or an earlier album. Even with the present production, some parts are already really heavy. I prefer every album in the MAYH->Watershed run (all seven albums in this period are near perfection), but it is a huge step ahead of Heritage and the first two albums. I hope that Mikael reintroduces both growls and a metallic sound on the next album, but I would not mind if he continues in this direction.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #612 on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:39 AM »
I listened to Pale Communion for the first time since December, and it is actually a very good album. With some changes to the production, many sections have the potential to be as heavy as something on Ghost Reveries or an earlier album. Even with the present production, some parts are already really heavy. I prefer every album in the MAYH->Watershed run (all seven albums in this period are near perfection), but it is a huge step ahead of Heritage and the first two albums. I hope that Mikael reintroduces both growls and a metallic sound on the next album, but I would not mind if he continues in this direction.

Agreed on most of these points. Unfortunately the last I read on Ultimate-Guitar, Mike pretty much said don't expect growled vocals I think.

Pale Communion was so much better than Heritage and Damnation *ducks*. Sorry, I think Damnation by itself could be their weakest album. If we count it as a double album with Deliverance, than one of their best! But yup, PC has heavy parts, but that older style production holds them back, much like Heritage. Something like Devil's Orchard on Heritage probably would have been heavy as heck if they were not using Strats, older styled amps and 70's production.

The problem Mike has ran into in this affinity for sounding old IMO. Older sounding production, and even riffs from back then maybe. I think about things like Face of Melinda and TBYF's (although terrible guitar tone) heavy parts. Probably as heavy as riffs under some growled parts. Those truly heavy, dissonant riffs are almost completely gone. I have accepted Mike changing the band- at times Heritage has some listenable tunes when they shuffle on to me. And ditching his growled vocals. What I cannot fully accept is the gutting of atonal riffs. That is really what drew me into Opeth more than anything else. I never heard someone chug on such odd riffs for such long durations. Yet with the last two albums, Mike doesn't seem to like playing even those riffs anymore. Devil's Orchard is the only track I can think of that at least had some odd chords, but I could be wrong. Even if I am, it's not very prevalent as it used to be. As a result, the dynamics of the songs lack.

For the poll, wow, voted the top three albums!  :-\ I thought about doing PC over GR for a moment though. Orchid and Morningrise are where they belong, the bottom. Meh sounding albums, with those tasteless black metal vocals and great bass playing.  Where are the 1st two albums fanbois? :P  ;)  Each time one of the tracks come on, they very VERY VERY slowly grow a bit with me. Still cannot get into black metal vocals though.
---

Offline Cable

---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #614 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
i don't think Damnation is comparable to the two most recent, but PC > Heritage for sure

i actually relistened to PC recently-ish and liked it a lot more than when I first got the album, whereas Heritage has only gotten more tedious over time so

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #615 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
Interesting! I think PC has absolutely grown over time for me, but so has Heritage in an almost polar opposite way; I compare Heritage (and so does Akerfeldt and Wilson) to Storm Corrosion, which is one of my favorite album of all the timelines, so it makes sense I love Heritage too. But I really think PC has grown more in terms of my initial reaction compared to now. I really do like the direction they're going in but only because the void of the growls has been filled with my new love Periphery and the new BTBAM album; if I didn't have them I'd probably be dying for some really doom metal shit, which I usually abhor.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
No surprise here, Mik on the financial pie of the band;

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mikael_akerfeldt_explains_how_money_is_shared_in_opeth.html

I totally get his point of view, but since they can never catch up to him in seniority as long as he is a member of the band, Akerfeldt will always get the lion's share of the profits, meaning if you are one of the other members, the chance of a raise is probably slim to none, unless you start writing songs, and I suspect that getting your ideas through and on to the album is probably not easy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
Not sure that any other member SHOULD match him.

They might get a bigger piece than they are getting now, but he should always get the biggest piece.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
Watching the Wacken live stream, liking their set, atm.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
I wasn't able to catch stream of the show, came to last minute of interview. Did Mikael talk about people who dislike their new direction again? Move on, man, screw 'em :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:09 PM »
I saw a brief glimpse of that (in between me having buffering issues of the stream).  The tone sounds like that was the topic they were discussing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:43 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #622 on: August 01, 2015, 06:31:05 AM »
Looks pretty cool, although the crowd is pretty lame.  Definitely different to see Opeth playing a show outside in the daylight.  With Akerfeldt wearing shades. :metal :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #623 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Randaran

« Reply #624 on: August 03, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »
I finally gave Heritage a proper listen, and I can safely say that it is Opeth's worst album. If the only song that stood out was the 2 minute piano intro, then you done fucked up.

Album Rankings:

1. My Arms, Your Hearse
2. Watershed
3. Damnation
4. Ghost Reveries
5. Still Life (would be an easy #1 if the entire album was as good as The Moor and Godhead's Lament)
6. Blackwater Park
7. Deliverance
8. Pale Communion
9. Morningrise
10. Orchid
11. Heritage

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
The last three songs (Heir Apparent, TGC, Deliverance) of the Wacken set can now be viewed at https://concert.arte.tv/de/opeth-wacken-2015 I can't believe they picked just death metal songs - that's the part of the show where Mikael sounded the worst. :facepalm:

The anniversary show in Helsinki is close to being sold out - I'm glad I got my ticket already! :metal I also pre-ordered the biography. The shipping costs are damn expensive, but I hope the book will be worth my money.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
That mix is pretty bad though. Wow. I can barely hear the vocals.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
When I saw 'em in 2013 I'm nearly convinced they intentionally buried his growls in the mix since they were lower than any of the other instruments yet his cleans were higher (and by a good margin) than anything else. It's seeming as though Mike's explanation about the ear monitors throwing off his growls is just a coverup.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: August 10, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »
You can hear him better on the last two songs, because he growls so far from the mic on Heir Apparent. Maybe he knows his grunts don't sound too good and it's some kind of self-censorship? :P

Anyway, according to the latest FB update the band will play Eternal Rains Will Come, The Drapery Falls, Demon of the Fall and The Grand Conjuration with the orchestra in Plovdiv. I really hope they'll take advantage of the opportunity to play Voice of Treason and Faith in Others - the announcement said "tracks played with orchestra (among others)".

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
I finally gave Heritage a proper listen, and I can safely say that it is Opeth's worst album. If the only song that stood out was the 2 minute piano intro, then you done fucked up.

I agree: it's worse than Orchid for me as well. However, my highlight is "I Feel the Dark," which is awesome. Some other songs are pretty decent too ("Folklore") but IFTD is the only song I'd call great.