Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179757 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #560 on: January 29, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
Am I right in saying that Opeth is realistically a solo project?

At this point, probably. But MAYH through Ghost Reveries is the classic lineup, and IS Opeth for me and most fans. I think Akerfeldt wrote most of the music anyway, but now it's his band since Watershed IMO. I do like where the band has been going lately, but I haven't been "wowed" since Ghost Reveries to be honest.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
Morningrise is their first classic album (and things will get even better).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: January 30, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
Am I right in saying that Opeth is realistically a solo project?

At this point, probably. But MAYH through Ghost Reveries is the classic lineup, and IS Opeth for me and most fans. I think Akerfeldt wrote most of the music anyway, but now it's his band since Watershed IMO. I do like where the band has been going lately, but I haven't been "wowed" since Ghost Reveries to be honest.

it's definitely worth consideration when you look at how Axe played drums pre-Opeth and how many Lopez-isms he's used since joining the band (bar the Latin percussion — i'm talking kit-wise here: snare ghosts notes, etc.). Åkerfeldt clearly knows how he wants his drums ;)

but then, you listen to Frederik Åkesson solo, or almost any Mendez bassline, and it's clear as day who's playing, just by style. so the members very clearly have an important, Opethian presence (something i think you can also argue for Per Wiberg when he was playing keys).

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #563 on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
I've got to say that Mikael was blessed with a whole lot of singing talent. Not many people are lucky enough to be good at singing in one... register (?).. for lack of a better term, but Mikael has great death and clean vocals. I'm not sure what the popular opinion on his cleans are but I think he has a really beautiful singing voice, and his death grunts are also powerful as hell.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #564 on: January 31, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
I think I used to appreciate him more as a singer before Heritage/Pale Communion, and to some extent Watershed came out. I loved it how he would switch between harsh vocals and clean vocals, and considering many of the "traditional" Opeth songs are maybe 70/30 harsh/clean vocals, the sparse use of the clean vocals added some more magic to them. Once Mikael sang clean vocals, usually those parts became really memorable and more beautiful in contrast to the heaviness. Nowadays when it's all clean vocals, I find it harder to find really good vocal moments from him. He still sings fine, but he rarely blows me away these days.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2015, 06:41:35 AM »
I think I used to appreciate him more as a singer before Heritage/Pale Communion, and to some extent Watershed came out. I loved it how he would switch between harsh vocals and clean vocals, and considering many of the "traditional" Opeth songs are maybe 70/30 harsh/clean vocals, the sparse use of the clean vocals added some more magic to them. Once Mikael sang clean vocals, usually those parts became really memorable and more beautiful in contrast to the heaviness. Nowadays when it's all clean vocals, I find it harder to find really good vocal moments from him. He still sings fine, but he rarely blows me away these days.

I do not agree; on the early albums, his cleans stood out because of the contrast with the harsh vocals, but the cleans themselves were rather amateurish. They have steadily improved over the years, and are at the best they have ever been on the last few albums.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #566 on: February 01, 2015, 06:57:23 AM »
I like the raspy "rock" vocals Mikael has started to use recently and the way his clean singing has diversified since he stopped growling.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: February 01, 2015, 07:32:23 AM »

I do not agree; on the early albums, his cleans stood out because of the contrast with the harsh vocals, but the cleans themselves were rather amateurish. They have steadily improved over the years, and are at the best they have ever been on the last few albums.

I agree that he has improved his technique, but I would say his peak was MAYH-Ghost Reveries.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #568 on: February 02, 2015, 12:26:07 AM »
I like the raspy "rock" vocals Mikael has started to use recently and the way his clean singing has diversified since he stopped growling.
Agreed. I get what Zantera is saying and I definitely miss the contrast too, but I think he makes up for that with having a better and more diverse clean style of singing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #569 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
After a couple days of listening to My Arms, Your Hearse, I'm really enjoying it, but I believe I like this less than the previous 2 albums.

My first thought with this album is that the riffs seems to be in a lower register on the guitar (or key? All the riffs seems to be constructed of lower pitched notes than the riffs from the first 2 albums). This is distinctly a feature of death metal, and it's a thing I don't like. My ears discern melodies better in higher frequencies. A lot of death metal (especially the albums with detuned guitars) sounds like a wall of sound to my ears. Orchid and Morningrise had higher pitched riffs, almost classic heavy metal/Iron Maiden style riffage at times.

The songs themselves are very good. Well, I enjoy listening to the the album, but I'm not instantly in love like I was on my first listen of Orchid and Morningrise. The first 2 tracks are my favorite, especially April Ethereal. Opeth has a knack for writing really good openers. I like Credence a lot too. I REALLY like Mikael's voice. Karma is really good too. Epilogue is really good too, love the ending guitar.

Okay, maybe I rank this album up there with the first 2. Thinking about it, I do like every song quite a bit. But really only April Ethereal (and maybe When) can compare with the songs I truly adore like In Mist She Was Standing/Forest of October/Twilight is my Robe/Advent/Night and the Silent Water/Nectar/Black Rose Immortal/To Bid You Farewell (Side note: Holy crap, I love Morningrise. I love every song on that album. Every second is just bliss, from open 'till close).

I like how the tracks segue in together seamlessly. My first time around I was on track 3 before I realized I wasn't still on the opener. Bass is now a lot less audible than it was before, not a huge loss but I liked the memorable bass lines on previous albums.

Holy f***, Mikael Akerfeldt must have sold his soul to the devil to get that voice. Just a freakishly talented dude.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #570 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:18 PM »
MAYH is, in my opinion, when Opeth went from good to great. I wasn't a huge fan of it at first, but it grew on me a lot. It's an insanely consistent album in terms of quality.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: February 02, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
I really like the first two, but MAYH was their first true "classic" IMO. When, April Ethereal, The Amen Corner, Demon of the Fall, and Credence... so many good ones.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:23 AM »
According to Mikael they abandoned the counterpoint guitar style after Morningrise because so many bands started using it and it became a cliché, especially in the Swedish metal scene.

MAYH is one of my top 3 Opeth albums thanks to its great flow and cohesion. It may not have as many individual standout tracks as some later albums, but no song feels like a filler, either.
Holy f***, Mikael Akerfeldt must have sold his soul to the devil to get that voice. Just a freakishly talented dude.
He actually had a cold during the recording sessions, which makes his performance even more impressive :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2015, 03:29:18 AM »
It's also worth noting that MAYH was the first album to include what most of us consider the "classic" Opeth line-up, with Martin Lopez joining on drums, and Mendez joining on bass. If I'm not mistaken though, I believe Mikael himself played all the bass parts on MAYH, so that might explain why the bass isn't the focus. I believe Mendez just came to the country around this time, joined the band and "settled in", and this in the middle of recording, so Mikael played those parts.

I still miss the original line-up. Nothing against the new guys, they are pretty good, but there was a something "atmosphere" when they had Martin Lopez on drums and Peter Lindgren on guitar. Both of them left after Ghost Reveries. But MAYH - Still Life - BWP - Deliverance - Damnation - Ghost Reveries all feature the classic line-up.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »
I still miss the original line-up.
You mean the 1990 one with David Isberg and co.? :neverusethis:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
My bad. I mean the classic one.  :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
After a couple days of listening to My Arms, Your Hearse, I'm really enjoying it, but I believe I like this less than the previous 2 albums.

My first thought with this album is that the riffs seems to be in a lower register on the guitar (or key? All the riffs seems to be constructed of lower pitched notes than the riffs from the first 2 albums). This is distinctly a feature of death metal, and it's a thing I don't like. My ears discern melodies better in higher frequencies. A lot of death metal (especially the albums with detuned guitars) sounds like a wall of sound to my ears. Orchid and Morningrise had higher pitched riffs, almost classic heavy metal/Iron Maiden style riffage at times.

The songs themselves are very good. Well, I enjoy listening to the the album, but I'm not instantly in love like I was on my first listen of Orchid and Morningrise. The first 2 tracks are my favorite, especially April Ethereal. Opeth has a knack for writing really good openers. I like Credence a lot too. I REALLY like Mikael's voice. Karma is really good too. Epilogue is really good too, love the ending guitar.

Okay, maybe I rank this album up there with the first 2. Thinking about it, I do like every song quite a bit. But really only April Ethereal (and maybe When) can compare with the songs I truly adore like In Mist She Was Standing/Forest of October/Twilight is my Robe/Advent/Night and the Silent Water/Nectar/Black Rose Immortal/To Bid You Farewell (Side note: Holy crap, I love Morningrise. I love every song on that album. Every second is just bliss, from open 'till close).

i see what you mean, as i enjoy the style of the first two almost as much as the classic lineup style, and totally agree about Morningrise (save "Nectar," never got into that one). my only real complaint is the fake-ass e-drums, but i deal with it when i listen.

but i really like death metal, about as much as black (which i'd say the first two are closer to), so i dig when the riffs dropped to the low string runs all over MAYH; it also brought more fluidity to Åkerfeldt's arranging, so it's way less piecmeal-sounding. i agree AE and "When" are great, but i'm all about "The Amen Corner," "Demon of the Fall" and "Karma" — just total gems, and TAC/"Karma" are completely underrated in the catalogue.

I like how the tracks segue in together seamlessly. My first time around I was on track 3 before I realized I wasn't still on the opener.

i like that they did this (and ending with the next song's title), but not HOW they did it — crossfading two pieces of music that are not tempo-matched just sounds horrible, like the transition from AE to "When." the one into "Madrigal" is fine but the drum beat immediately fading in at the end of "Demon of the Fall" really annoys me. too much influence from The Wall, i guess! (not that TW has the mismatched tempo problem, though.)

however, the fact that Still Life is also a concept record and goes out of its way not to transition probably annoys me more, especially the very obvious "Serenity Painted Death"/"White Cluster" smush that could have been really epic!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
I started listening to Still Life last week and whereas My Arms took many listens to get into, I liked Still Life right off the bat. Seems less "heavy" than My Arms, and the production seems easier on my ears. The Moor, Benighted and especially Face of Melinda are all great songs. I love the ending of White Cluster. However, despite getting into it very easily, I think my enjoyment of the album stopped "growing" after only a few listens. I don't love the heavy parts of Godhead's Lament (although the melodic parts are phenomenal). As well, Moonlapse Vertigo and Serenity Painted Death don't stand out to me.

It's so strange how it took me comparatively ages to get into My Arms while I liked Still Life on the first listen, but it's occurred to me just how great My Arms, Your Hearse is. Someone here mentioned how it's just a consistently great album, and that's 100% the truth. Still Life has a few melodies that just don't click with me, while the previous album is consistently great throughout, every riff and every section provides something. My Arms was a struggle to really get into, but it's very rewarding. Definitely a grower. April Ethereal, Karma, Demon of the Fall, Credence, every song is amazing and they just get more enjoyable as I keep listening, unlike the songs on Still Life. When...

Dear lord, When. I think When is probably my favorite Opeth song. The melodic riff that comes at 1:27.. "to find my way back home" gives me chills.. The part at 3:33.. "demise" "and I cried" gives me chills every time too.. "when can I take you from this place" AMAZING.

Still Life is still a great album but the highs of that album  don't come close to the highs of the previous album. As well, My Arms is more consistent. Here's how I think I would rank the albums thus far:

1. Morningrise
2. My Arms, Your Hearse
3. Orchid
4. Still Life

Here's how I would rank my favorite songs so far:

1. When
2. Advent
3. Black Rose Immortal
4. In Mist She Was Standing
5. Credence
6. The Night and the Silent Water
7. April Ethereal
8. The Twilight is My Robe
9. Karma
10. Nectar
11. Face of Melinda
12. Benighted
13. The Moor

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Aside from Frederik's involvement (one of my favourite guitarists) I have no great interest in Opeth but just thought I'd note here for Australian fans that an Aussie tour has been announced.

Where?
Eaton's Hill
646 S Pine Rd, Brendale, QLD

Forum Melbourne
Corner Russell & Flinders Streets, Melbourne, VIC

The Gov
59 Port Rd, Hindmarsh, SA         

When?
QLD - Wednesday 6 May, 2015
VIC - Thursday 7 May, 2015
SA - Monday 4 May, 2015

It's very unusual for a band to include Queensland and South Australia at the expense of Sydney , so fans in those states should get cracking.  Tickets on sale this Sunday via Ticketmaster.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #579 on: March 05, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »
That is odd. Usually bands don't come here so often because of the expense and the lower attendance, but these guys are going to SA of all places and foregoing visiting our largest state/city - and their best chance of making back a lot of what it costs them to come here.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #580 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2015, 06:12:32 AM »
Wow, Mikael must've been listening to this when he wrote Voice of Treason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBr7dPOrhsI#t=2m29s I wonder if it's an intentional tribute like the Camel arpeggio in Benighted...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:41 AM »
Sunday 3rd May, Enmore Theatre Sydney.
https://www.metropolistouring.com/tour.php?tour=2015_opeth

.........and a Perth gig.   Seems Ticketmaster are only handling certain ones.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
"It's official! The 25th Anniversary Tour will kick off in Opeth's home town of Stockholm, Sweden this October 4th."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: April 22, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
Aside from Frederik's involvement (one of my favourite guitarists) I have no great interest in Opeth but just thought I'd note here for Australian fans that an Aussie tour has been announced.

Where?
Eaton's Hill
646 S Pine Rd, Brendale, QLD
Ticketmaster.

This seems to be a popular venue lately, but I have never been there.  I think it's basically just a big sports club.  I have driven past it and it's not in a great location either, in a more remote area north of Brisbane.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #585 on: April 23, 2015, 04:36:41 AM »
I'm keen to see them play in Sydney.
Does anyone know if the set list will be all prog rock or a mixture with some of the older heavy growling stuff?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: April 23, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »
I'd say 1/3 of the set would be PC/Heritage songs and the other 2/3 would be older songs, spread across their albums. So plenty of both sides. (Since I would imagine something from Damnation is played)

But yeah, plenty of growl stuff. :)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #587 on: April 29, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
If you American fans haven't heard yet, they're playing 2 US shows as part of the 25th Anniversary Tour, one in NYC and the other in LA. Bought my tickets for the NYC show via presale and I'm so pumped that they're playing Ghost Reveries in full (one of my top 3 favorite Opeth albums).  :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #588 on: April 29, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
I read in a MA interview with Aussie media, that they will be playing songs from every album except Orchid.
 :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #589 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
No Orchid? As in for the 25th Anniversary Tour? That's a bummer...I would've killed to hear a song from that album. Oh well, we can't have 'em all can we?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #590 on: April 29, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
It's funny how the same guy can think Heritage/PC are deserving of representation during their 25th anniversary tour but Orchid isn't.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #591 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
Yeah, right? Like Ghost Reveries is celebrating 10 years...but Orchid is celebrating 20 years which is an even bigger milestone. If they weren't playing GR in full, it could've well been Orchid that's getting the nod.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #592 on: April 29, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
I'm up to Ghost Reveries now and I have to say it's probably my least favorite album so far. None of the songs are that catchy to me. Ghost of Perdition is probably the most memorable song for me but it's not "classic" Opeth by any sense. It's merely listenable. Opeth albums are growers for me though, so I'll see how the album grows over time.

Here's how I would rank (and rate) the albums:

1. My Arms - 11/10, Every song is amazing, the highs of this album are SO high. When, April Ethereal, Karma, Credence and Amen are classics.
2. Morningsrise - 11/10, Every song is amazing but there are simply only 5 of them. Advent, Night & Silent Water and Black Rose are orgasmic.
3. Deliverance - 10/10 I was biased against it going into this album. I expected a heavy-only Opeth album to be awful. Not only did it have a good balance of heavy and soft moments, but when it was heavy it was heavy Opeth AT THEIR BEST. Wreath for my money is the heaviest Opeth song and still manages to be ridiculously catchy and memorable. Wreath, Deliverance and Master's Apprentices are classic songs. I don't really consider Opeth a death metal band, which is why I can say that this possibly is my favorite death metal album ever (sorry Chuck!). A Fair Judgement is amazing too.
4. Blackwater Park - 10/10 Every song is amazing but no song hits the heights of the top 3 albums. Harvest and Drapery are the only songs that I would consider exceptional but every song is VERY, VERY GOOD. Unbelievably consistent. Every second of the album is great.
5. Damnation - 9/10 Windowpane is brilliant. In My Time of Need has a 70s vibe that I adore. Very Steven Wilsony. Mellotron makes any song better. Very King Crimsony. On that note, it's a damn shame SW isn't working on Opeth albums nowadays.
6. Still Life - 9/10 I wasn't in love with this album a few weeks ago but it's grown on me. I'll still maintain that only Melinda, The Moor and Benighted are consistent throughout and all the others have brilliant soaring choruses and less brilliant heavy verses. I don't know why but the riffs on this album have always struck me as far less than the inspired choruses, which are some of Opeth's best. Godhead and White Cluster's choruses are a highlight and Face of Melinda is the best song on the album.
7. Orchid - 8/10 Probably has fallen in favor over time. The best songs on the album are very great, but the lesser songs aren't as special. The band clearly hadn't yet figured it out. In The Mist is still a great song that I love.

Very rough ranking of the songs:

1. Advent
2. When
3. April Ethereal
4. Black Rose Immortal
5. Wreath
6. Night and the Silent Water
7. Master's Apprentices
8. Karma
9. Windowpane
10. In the Mist She Was Standing
11. Face of Melinda
12. Amen Corner
13. In My Time of Need
14. Deliverance
15. The Drapery Falls
16. Credence
17. The Twilight is my Robe
18. Godhead's Lament
19. Harvest
20. Benighted

I can safely say that Opeth is in my top echelon of bands, I'll see if they have the staying power to enter my top 5 all-time. Their best albums are up there with any band I've ever heard. Man, I love Opeth far more than I thought I ever would before I started listening. The run from Morningrise to Damnation was perfection, I don't think they had a single mediocre riff or idea in that entire run. I hope the run of amazing albums doesn't end with Ghost of Reveries, but so far I'm not liking it. Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

Opeth is an amazing band. Mikael Akerfeldt isn't half bad at writing songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #593 on: April 30, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Ticket. Bought. W00t!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:02 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.