Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179214 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Opinions is one thing but I find it very odd you think it's sad that they're proud of their work. They shouldn't be proud because you don't like the direction and think they're copycats, is what I extrapolated.  The whole 'to each their own' schtick only goes so far, I think that's kind of petty.

Then again Akerfeldt clearly doesn't give a shit what you or I think, and I find that refreshing. Otherwise...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
It's waaaaay more melodic.  Fact.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
Anyway, it's a great read for anyone, even if you hate the new direction. Oh god those Youtube reviewers...they are by far and away some of the douchiest, entitled little shits on the planet.  :lol I swear... They think they're Ebert and Roeper here. At least baldy there, and there's one other guy who always sounds like he just snorted about a pound of cocaine and is screaming and yelling throughout...
I love the new Opeth album, so I definitely disagree with the Needle Drop's review. But I think he's a really great reviewer. He doesn't come off as entitled at all and gives a pretty honest opinion about albums. Can't blame the guy for not liking the new Opeth, although I don't think the sequel analogy is very fair. But idk, you either hear it or you don't.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
I don't always agree with Anthony but he is a good reviewer. I just think he gets caught up on certain things. Like, he blasted The Raven That Refused to sing for not doing anything new with the genre of progressive rock and for being basically a love letter to the old 70's prog albums (I do not disagree with that assessment) but I think he places undue emphasis and importance on doing something new or advancing the genre. Those are nice things to aim for, but if the songwriting isn't there, it really doesn't mean much if you've created something new and original. So yeah, I don't always see eye-to-eye with him, but he states his opinions plainly and he never comes across as a hater. Correction: he very rarely comes across as a hater as I just remembered his Limp Bizkit review.  :lol

The reaction to his The Raven That Refused To Sing review was fucking priceless. It was the equivalent of casting a Summon Steven Wilson Fanboys IX spell. Thankfully this one didn't result in a bunch of frothing nerds calling for his head, but I'm almost a bit disappointed in that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
TioJorge is killing it in this thread. :tup :tup

And  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol at the comment about it being sad that they are proud of the new album.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
I read it pretty clearly as him being sad that they're proud of limiting their potential and I agree. The majority of people liking this seem to be people who didn't have modern metal or death metal being that big of a thing for them anyway so it's easier for y'all to be entertained by the stylistic shift. It ain't that way for most of the metalheads though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
I don't always agree with Anthony but he is a good reviewer. I just think he gets caught up on certain things. Like, he blasted The Raven That Refused to sing for not doing anything new with the genre of progressive rock and for being basically a love letter to the old 70's prog albums (I do not disagree with that assessment) but I think he places undue emphasis and importance on doing something new or advancing the genre. Those are nice things to aim for, but if the songwriting isn't there, it really doesn't mean much if you've created something new and original. So yeah, I don't always see eye-to-eye with him, but he states his opinions plainly and he never comes across as a hater. Correction: he very rarely comes across as a hater as I just remembered his Limp Bizkit review.  :lol
I think Anthony just listens to so much new experimental music that he tends to have trouble getting into anything that isn't necessarily anything new. Most of the albums I like that he gives lukewarm (or worse) reviews he'll describe with something along the lines of "the music is totally fine but it's not anything I haven't heard before".

I know a lot of music listeners like that too. I guess when you're listening to so much cutting edge music, it's easy to get bored when listening to something that isn't pushing any boundaries.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #357 on: September 05, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
I read it pretty clearly as him being sad that they're proud of limiting their potential and I agree. The majority of people liking this seem to be people who didn't have modern metal or death metal being that big of a thing for them anyway so it's easier for y'all to be entertained by the stylistic shift. It ain't that way for most of the metalheads though.
1.000.000 times agree.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2014, 12:12:18 AM »
I see what you guys are saying, though I don't see how a change in style is necessarily "limiting their potential."
But I will say that nothing about this album has really stuck with me. I listened to it like four times in a row last week and haven't popped it back in the CD player since.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »
I see what you guys are saying, though I don't see how a change in style is necessarily "limiting their potential."
But I will say that nothing about this album has really stuck with me. I listened to it like four times in a row last week and haven't popped it back in the CD player since.
I think what Black Floydberry(my secret waifu) is getting at is that they gave up a completely unique sound for a semi not very unique 70's sound.
I'm not against 70's retro prog, Steven Wilson is a testament to this, but Opeth just don't do it convincingly if you were to ask me( which you obviously did not)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2014, 01:27:12 AM »
I guess this debate will never end.  :lol I love the "old" Opeth, I really do. BWP and GR are landmarks within the metal community but i'm also one of those how just don't give a fuck what the band wants to do in the future because in the end it's their decision as a band. Besides I find it refreshing to see a band that have the guts to radically change their musical direction despite what their fans might think. You just don't see that everyday, especially not within the metal scene.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2014, 01:31:30 AM »
I guess this debate will never end.  :lol I love the "old" Opeth, I really do. BWP and GR are landmarks within the metal community but i'm also one of those how just don't give a fuck what the band wants to do in the future because in the end it's their decision as a band. Besides I find it refreshing to see a band that have the guts to radically change their musical direction despite what their fans might think. You just don't see that everyday, especially not within the metal scene.
I don't have a problem with bands radically changing musical direction, see "The Contortionist". I just don't think Opeth are doing anything special and if you do, neato burrito.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
I don't have a problem with bands radically changing musical direction, see "The Contortionist". I just don't think Opeth are doing anything special and if you do, neato burrito.

I agree with Dork here. Put the fault on pure songwriting instead of the change in musical direction.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2014, 02:05:26 AM »
I didn't blame their change of direction like a "fault" that was just my interpretation on the change their done to their music. Whether or not you think it's good or bad 70s prog it's still a change of direction. This debate is starting to get funny because I feel like some people are fooling themself when saying they're OK with Opeth releasing a 70s inspired album but they just don't think it's good, don't get me wrong it's totally fine to think that but is that really the problem? I mean would it in all honesty really matter if they released an amazing retro sounding 70s prog album or an album like this that people say are just bad song writing, isn't the main problem still that Opeth have abondend the metal genre they had on their older albums? When looking outside of DTF on comment fields the main feedback are along the lines of: "Opeth are dead to me" or "I miss old Opeth". In short you can hate the 70s style or the bad song writing but is that deep down really the main problem?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:53:41 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »
To me it kinda felt like the old Opeth-sound had run its course and was starting to get stale. Don't get me wrong, Ghost Reveries was amazing, but that was 9 years ago. I feel like they tried to do a genuine continuation of the sound on Watershed, and sadly it fell a bit flat. A good album but not a masterpiece. So by the time Heritage was due to come out, I think they had milked the old sound as much as they could.

With that said, I do miss the heavy element of their music. I don't necessarily miss the growl, I think some songs on Watershed, like Porcelain Heart, pulled off the heavy without being growl-heavy. The interplay between heavy and soft was so amazing, and while I can understand if Mikael doesn't want to growl, it's a bit of a shame that the metal element will be lost completely. Even if they continue writing 70s retro prog sounding songs, a few heavy sections here and there where the guitars sound heavy, evil and doomish, that would add a lot, even if the mainframe of the song isn't heavy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
It is very sad to see how proud they are of the new album and the new direction they chose to follow.
Yeah, I always think it is awful when an artist is excited about their art.  I don't get that at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
I can't really get into this album at all.  Might have to come back to it in time.  I just find it pretty boring.  First two songs are good, but it gets tiresome quick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #367 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »
It is very sad to see how proud they are of the new album and the new direction they chose to follow.
Yeah, I always think it is awful when an artist is excited about their art.  I don't get that at all.
So maybe I should have said: "Although I found the album really boring and the first huge dissapointment from a band I have been a fan of for at least 10 years, I am REALLY happy they are proud of the album and the direction."

Sounds a bit strange, doesn't it?

I didn't have a problem with Damnation or Heritage and both of albums also have a new direction. At least to me, in the old days they used their influences to create something unique and that's what they got known for. Now they just want to sound exactly like the 70s bands. For example, Goblin, is like Akerfeldt saying "here is us trying to sound like the Italian band Goblin". I wouldn't have such a problem with that if it actually sounded good, which the album didn't. Again, just my opinion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #368 on: September 05, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
Your opinion of the final product is fine; to each his own, and many people share yours, no question. 

But your opinion of THEIR opinion is what I don't get at all.  I don't get why they SHOULDN'T be proud of it.  After all, this is what they spent all of that time composing, rehearsing, and recording.  This is what they do, and this is their finished product, and it would really fucked up if they WEREN'T proud of it after spending that much time on it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Our own opinions aside, I would hope they wouldn't release something they weren't proud of.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted

Info on bluray replacement

https://redemptions.warnermusic.com/opeth

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »
I gave PC a rest for a week, and upon returning everything just instantly clicked. It's a pretty good record that demands to be turned up, especially because of the dynamic mastering. I really enjoy the many vocal harmonies on this record, outstanding.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Yep, I am really liking it.  It is far better than Heritage, thanks to better and more focused songwriting, and, yes, it sounds fantastic.  I got the 5.1 Blu-ray this week and will be checking it out next week on a friend's super-duper surround sound system.  Can't wait. :coolio

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
Peter Lindgren was a damn good guitarist for Opeth and for sure 100% Opeth-y, but damn, I really like Fredrik's versatility and incredibly musical vibrato on solos. The ones he does on Cusp and Moon Above are amazing. The man delivers every time.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
I gave PC a rest for a week, and upon returning everything just instantly clicked. It's a pretty good record that demands to be turned up, especially because of the dynamic mastering. I really enjoy the many vocal harmonies on this record, outstanding.

Maybe I need to try this. Haven't touched it since that initial week.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »
I'm about to go on a nice night slow ride to commemorate the first truly cool, breezy, non-rain-forest-humidity night we've had all year. It feels amazing and I can smell Fall already. That means it's time for the Opeth to take over. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAYY!!

RIP DTP.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2014, 04:00:21 AM »
I'm about to go on a nice night slow ride to commemorate the first truly cool, breezy, non-rain-forest-humidity night we've had all year. It feels amazing and I can smell Fall already. That means it's time for the Opeth to take over. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAYY!!
I know this feeling it's so awesome!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
 ;D :tup :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #378 on: September 15, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
Too bad the choice is limited to three albums only... because i really love every Opeth-record and have very special memories connected to each and every one of them since i checked out this band back in 1996... And i don't mind the sort of "direction change" they have taken with the last two records. Metal or not, it's still insanely great music full of depth and beauty and that's pretty much enough to make me happy. :)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #379 on: September 15, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »
I see that Alcest is touring with Opeth in Europe in November. I'd be more excited about the Opeth show I'm going to in December if Alcest was co-headlining instead of In Flames.

Online krands85

« Reply #380 on: September 15, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
I see that Alcest is touring with Opeth in Europe in November. I'd be more excited about the Opeth show I'm going to in December if Alcest was co-headlining instead of In Flames.
I've seen them mentioned on here a fair bit, but never listened to them before. Could you suggest a good starting point?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #381 on: September 15, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
I've seen them mentioned on here a fair bit, but never listened to them before. Could you suggest a good starting point?

I would say Ecailles De Lune is their best album. If you want a track recommendation, I think both the title tracks (it's divided into 2 parts) both perfectly showcase what's so great about the band. Very atmospheric metal with a lot of nice melodies.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #382 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:04 AM »
I'd be excited if they came to my country once  :sadpanda
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #383 on: September 15, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

I would say Ecailles De Lune is their best album. If you want a track recommendation, I think both the title tracks (it's divided into 2 parts) both perfectly showcase what's so great about the band. Very atmospheric metal with a lot of nice melodies.

I second Ecailles De Lune, although I think the following album Les Voyages de l'Âme is also a good album in its own right. Their latest album Shelter is a shoegazey/post-rock sounding album which can be a hit or miss for some (there's no harsh vocals on Shelter at all, as with their first album Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde).

Online krands85

« Reply #384 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm partial to a bit of post-rock, so giving Shelter a go first. Enjoying it so far  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww