Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179034 times)

Offline PolarizeMe

I'd say Windowpane is my top 10 favorites, but I have the feeling that it can also be considered an overrated song off of Damnation by some. I just love End Credits though...might be my favorite of the few Opeth instrumentals.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Thanks Kev for creating this thread!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Demon Of The Fall  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

When :metal
Also, I love Dirge for November but The Funeral Portrait didn't click with me (yet).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Ghost of Perdition is ridiculously good. Seems like it's one of those songs where it's just a given that it's everyone's favorite.

Agreed.  Same thing with Bleak and The Drapery Falls, which is why I think some like to point out how much they love the other songs on Blackwater Park.  It's kind of like, "Hey, there are other great songs on that record, too!" :lol :metal

Thanks Kev for creating this thread!

:coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ghost of Perdition is ridiculously good. Seems like it's one of those songs where it's just a given that it's everyone's favorite.

OK. I am NOT an Opeth guy. I hate the growls, and while I yearn for clean vocals, Ackerfedt's are terrible. Enough depreciating.

A few years back I asked a guy at work to make me an Opeth Compilation, and Ghost Of Perdition stood out. I bought Ghost Reveries, and I do like that. Reverie/Harlequin Forest is my favorite.

I have a copy of Watershed, but have only listened once.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

OK. I am NOT an Opeth guy. I hate the growls, and while I yearn for clean vocals, Ackerfedt's are terrible. Enough depreciating.

A few years back I asked a guy at work to make me an Opeth Compilation, and Ghost Of Perdition stood out. I bought Ghost Reveries, and I do like that. Reverie/Harlequin Forest is my favorite.

I have a copy of Watershed, but have only listened once.

If you don't dig Mikael's vocals (which are THE SHIT btw), then Opeth might not be for you unless you enjoy the instrumentation and musicianship enough to overlook them, so it doesn't surprise me that Ghost Reveries has stood out for you. :tup

Watershed might also jive well with you, as well as certain songs from Blackwater Park such as Harvest or Patterns in the Ivy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
as well as certain songs from Blackwater Park such as Harvest or Patterns in the Ivy.

I'll check them out over lunch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

I would also recommend Dirge for November, also from Blackwater Park. It's a largely instrumental song, with a few lines of clean singing at the beginning and a growled passage towards the end. But the growls in this particular track aren't like Mikael's usual growls—in this song, he's way more subdued than usual and it's way more atmospheric than "brutal." It was the first Opeth song with growls that I learned to like.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
I've been a fan since BWP, and Windowpane has grown to be my absolute favorite Opeth song. I still don't know what's so great about it.. Maybe because it's chill and doesn't try too hard to be anything. Maybe it's the vocal melodies or the nice guitar tones. It just straight out rules my world forever.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PolarizeMe

Opeth are touring in the US this December with In Flames. Opeth will headline each night. List of tour dates are below:

12/3 - Riviera Theater | Chicago, IL
12/4 - Mill City Nights | Minneapolis, MN
12/5 - Sokol Auditorium | Omaha, NE
12/6 - Ogden Theater | Denver, CO
12/8 - Warfield | San Francisco, CA
12/9 - Palladium | Los Angeles, CA
12/10 - The Marquee Theater | Tempe, AZ
12/12 - Warehouse Live | Houston, TX
12/13 - Gas Monkey Live | Dallas, TX
12/15 - Tabernacle | Atlanta, GA
12/17 - Electric Factory | Philadelphia, PA
12/18 - Terminal 5 | New York, N.Y.
12/19 - Palladium | Worcester, MA
12/20 - Metropolis | Montreal, QC
12/21 - Koolhaus | Toronto, ONT

Offline senecadawg2

In the article I saw, Mikael said that this will be the first of two NA tours. Hopefully there will be shows closer to me in that one.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Opeth are touring in the US this December with In Flames. Opeth will headline each night. List of tour dates are below:

12/3 - Riviera Theater | Chicago, IL
12/4 - Mill City Nights | Minneapolis, MN
12/5 - Sokol Auditorium | Omaha, NE
12/6 - Ogden Theater | Denver, CO
12/8 - Warfield | San Francisco, CA
12/9 - Palladium | Los Angeles, CA
12/10 - The Marquee Theater | Tempe, AZ
12/12 - Warehouse Live | Houston, TX
12/13 - Gas Monkey Live | Dallas, TX
12/15 - Tabernacle | Atlanta, GA
12/17 - Electric Factory | Philadelphia, PA
12/18 - Terminal 5 | New York, N.Y.
12/19 - Palladium | Worcester, MA
12/20 - Metropolis | Montreal, QC
12/21 - Koolhaus | Toronto, ONT
Red Fang is also part of this tour, and the only band I'd want to go an see :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Interesting bill... Both Opeth and IF have a death metal background (from which they've shifted away), yet they sound nothing alike.

Offline PolarizeMe

Red Fang is also part of this tour, and the only band I'd want to go an see :lol

Red Fang? Really?! Heard a couple of their songs, they're very good indeed. I'm looking more forward to seeing them than In Flames to be honest!  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
It's kinda telling how Opeth has surpassed In Flames and are now headlining. In this case not even so much Opeth becoming better with each album, but In Flames has been in a steady decline for 15 years or so, and the last 3 albums or so have just been painful. Come Clarity was their last decent album IMO. Clayman/Whoracle/Colony is where its at.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Here's a poster that has Red Fang on it.

By the way, if you live in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area, Mill City Nights is a wonderful venue.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

CANNOT wait for this! Definitely be at that Chicago show!

• DT.net Member
Yo Nelly, you down for another show if they come our way? Also are you down TOX?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
It's kinda telling how Opeth has surpassed In Flames and are now headlining. In this case not even so much Opeth becoming better with each album, but In Flames has been in a steady decline for 15 years or so, and the last 3 albums or so have just been painful. Come Clarity was their last decent album IMO. Clayman/Whoracle/Colony is where its at.
Actually it's a co-headlining tour, hence the name Communion of Sirens.

But yeah, I agree with you on In Flames. Most of the post-Reroute to Remain stuff is pretty uninspired (Come Clarity is alright though) and Anders' attempts at singing can be pretty awful at times.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Actually it's a co-headlining tour, hence the name Communion of Sirens.

But yeah, I agree with you on In Flames. Most of the post-Reroute to Remain stuff is pretty uninspired (Come Clarity is alright though) and Anders' attempts at singing can be pretty awful at times.
One might say the same for Opeth's latest releases.

#DrunkShotsFired

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe, but at least Opeth haven't turned into radio rock for teenagers...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
At least In Flames haven't milked the 70's as much as they possibly could
*ohhhhh snap, I should probably go to bed and stop drunk posting*

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Tio, that is not acceptable, I expect a 5 page rebuttal by 8 am.
You will not pass the class if you cannot complete this.

• DT.net Member

Not defending either band's horrid decline but I don't think that point makes their recent albums any less crappy than Opeth's.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I think the main difference is that In Flames have put out a couple of just plain bad albums, and their decline has been really sad to see. I don't think you can say the same for Opeth. I don't LOVE the direction they're taking, but Heritage is a fine album quality-wise. It's just that I don't have any interest in the 70's route personally, so even if they make a 5/5 album within that genre, I still might not care a lot.

Offline senecadawg2

Yo Nelly, you down for another show if they come our way?

You know it! I loved loved loved that last show, and definitely look forward to a repeat.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DT.net Member
I will bring punch and pie.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Tio, I will need to see you after class, we have to talk about Summer School options.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Tio, I will need to see you after class, we have to talk about Summer School options.

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Ew, In Flames? Hmmm. I can go to this or the Rebirth Brass Band the same night down the street. Fuuuuck.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Still going to wait for the CD, but thanks :)