Author Topic: Biggest DT-related disappointment  (Read 16529 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Biggest DT-related disappointment
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
I want quality music AND extra stuff!!! Dammit!!

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Exactly, hef.  However, I don't expect that reasonable position to fly with some. 
I don't know from reasonable.  I can only speak of my own thought processes and feelings.

If these things really disappoint them, then they really disappoint them.  I just don't see it that way.

But FII?  THAT was disappointing.

And Raw Dog.

agreed, everyone is entitled to their opinions and you have to respect them but there are 1 or 2 posters on here who post nothing but negative posts and I don't know why they come on here tbh if they are that disillusioned. Not because they aren't entitled to post but why come on here in the first place?

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
I want quality music AND extra stuff!!! Dammit!!

;D

stop being greedy haha!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »

And yes, it is unrealistic to expect them to do EVERYTHING Portnoy did.  If doing those kinds of things were their things, they would have been doing them in the first place, like Petrucci answering questions from the fans or whatever.  Obviously, posting on his internet forum and/or social media is not really his thing, otherwise Petrucci would be doing it, not because he feels the need to fill the shoes of a former member, but because it was something he really wanted to do.  Forcing himself to do it just to do it would come off as disingenuous.

Then don't say you will.  Say "Hey, we recognize a big part of what went on behind the scenes isn't there, and we give that props.  But we'll do what we do and do it the best we can.  Stick around for the ride!".    But that wasn't what was said, now, was it?   Especially LaBrie made it sound like "eh, we lost the guy that makes sure the toilet paper rolls are full size.  We've got the rest covered!".

Again, please don't dismiss it as "silly" or "disillusioned".    Not necessarily speaking for Scotty, but you are talking to two people for whom the band was one-of-a-kind, and now it isn't.   Doesn't mean they suck, doesn't mean they aren't great.  Sometimes the line between No. 1 and No. 2 is a thin one.   But I'm still buying CDs, DVDs (well, Blu-rays now) and tickets.  Still on the bandwagon.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:04:48 PM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
Exactly, hef.  However, I don't expect that reasonable position to fly with some. 

Also, MarkFitDT's post about the increase in music quality is a great point.  I'll take the increase in quality of the last two albums, over the last four with Portnoy, over albums that are merely good and tons of extra stuff.   Sure, how good the music is is totally subjective, but for this fan, the fact that the last two albums have been so good, especially ADTOE, has reenergized my enthusiasm for the band more than a release of a demo I'd listen to once and then never again, playing some cover I don't care about, etc., ever would.  Hell, I traveled to two different cities in less than a week this year to see the band, cause of how into them I am again, after having almost no urge to travel to see them again for nearly a decade.

And good for you.  Seriously!  I love that someone can find a connection in any kind of music.   I'm happy for you, and I'm not calling you silly or unreasonable for liking two albums that don't really move me much (beyond "This Is The Life").   I've got every Maiden and Oasis single ever put out, because I LIKE the demos that you "listen to once".  I LOVE the covers, personally, and looked forward to the next one with baited breath, and listen to them frequently.   I don't have another band in my top favorites that does that, and that DT did set them apart.   Now I don't have ANY band in my top favorites that do that and I miss it.

I don't expect you to agree with me, but don't think it is unreasonable on my part to expect to not be called "silly" and "unreasonable" and "disillusioned" for valuing those things.   By the way, I'm of the era where you didn't know squat about the artists except was was on the liner notes of the record (which then meant vinyl!). 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
I guess I'm a realist Scotty.  I agree 100% what you said about the connection but I also know how obsessive MP was about getting all that stuff out to us.  So when he left, I knew that all the extra little joys we had with MP there would be gone.

I see how people react and it blows me away how they let something like this affect them.  I come from the age when we were lucky to find out anything about an album until the first single was released and now in this area, accessibility to bands are through the roof.

Maybe, the reason MP was so burnt out was the effort to take on so much himself and in the end, DT is drastically different today.  Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with this.  MP was over the top and spoiled the shit out of everybody.  Now, it's different.  What can be done about it?  It is what it is.  I still say that the majority of the fans out there are plenty happy getting a new release every two years and hopefully a tour date near them.  What more can anyone ask?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
And I doubt they ever said they were gonna do EVERYTHING Portnoy used to. 
I managed to find the quotes I was thinking of. Here's what they said:
LaBrie: "Yes, Mike was all about those things and not to simplify it or belittle it, but that will just have to be something that we allocate to each and every one of us to take over. So that will be a major difference in the band. Instead of one person handling all of those responsibilities, it's going to be spread out over four others."

Rudess: "I guess we're excited about being able to look at all the cool stuff Mike did and spread them around a bit. We've got an amazing team of managers and tour managers, we're all very capable guys and we're not scared. This is not rocket science. This is not curing cancer, this is a rock band, and I think we can handle it."

So take that as you will, but the implication I read into these comments is that they will carry on doing all the things that MP had previously established, divided amongst the other band members.

Here's where I got the quotes from:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-thought-he-could-control-dream-theater-says-keyboardist-rudess/#IOB440XPkl8Kl6Pe.99

What more can anyone ask?
Maybe the other stuff that MP used to do that they aren't bothering with?  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
Scotty.  I remember that too but lets be honest, they were not really involved and they were vague at best.  What details were they going to continue?  You can never take people at their word until it is written out in details. 

Are they doing more than they did before?             Yes.

Is is close to what MP did in the past?             Not even close.

Am I bummed a bit that I might not see the extras Mike did for us fans.              A strong yes.

Was I under the allusion that the band would put out everything like Mike did?               No, I knew they wouldn't come even close.

A lot of people including yourself set yourself up for a big heartache looking for all those extras.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »
In terms of communication there is a big difference. That is true, Mike was much more active online, providing updates and all that.
As far as the extra stuff goes, i think it's still early to judge, i mean it's a new beginning if you think about it.

We already got  an awesome free(!) bootleg from the band, a 360 app which is awesome and something that hasn't been done before, MM posts some videos on his channel, as does JR (who used to do it anyway). James still answers fans' questions on twitter, and JP seems active on FB and instagram.

I agree that it is different and not on the same level, but it's not like it's such a big drop. The archives belong to MP, so bootlegs from the past are something that is not going to happen, it's not DT's fault, they already released some stuff from the ADTOE tour for free, while with MP in charge i'm pretty sure we would have to buy the bootleg.

So yes, the DT of today is not as vocal and communicative as it was with MP, they seem to prefer this static setlist (which is a great setlist) and it is understandable that some people are disappointed, but in the few years without MP i think the difference is not that massive.

It's only been 4 years, and 2 albums since MP's departure, it's not that we got much more with MP in the course of 2 album releases.

Offline Danger Zone

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2014, 02:20:47 AM »
Personal DT Disappointments:

1. No live album/Blu-ray from the BC&SL tour

2. No box set of the entire YtseJam catalog of official bootlegs and live albums

3. No remastered box set of all pre-Road Runner catalog

4. People who complain about Mike Mangini - the inclusion of this dude has brought new life to the band

5. People who fail to recognize the greatness of ADTOE and DT simply because MP is not in the band. Look, you know, full respect to MP. He was a founding member and he's a great drummer. But the last few albums with him (as good as they were in spots) seemed to be held back by a darkness that, I suspect, was his doing. His songs were about addiction, regret, disorder, etc. Fine. I get that the guy has personal demons, and so forth. But there are also four other people in the band with their own creative visions that I suspect were being somewhat silenced by MP's alpha personality. He was the black clouds to Petrucci's, Rudess', Myung's and LaBrie's silver linings. Simply compare a track like "Constant Motion" with anything from the latest album. There are deeper themes and the musicianship has been reborn. For me, "Illumination Theory" is THE defining DT song. Musically, it sums up what this band is in one track. I don't think it would have ever appeared on a MP-era album. The guitar solo on "The Bigger Picture" is daring in its simple beauty. MP would have likely insisted JP shred some aggressive solo for it, if he would have even allowed the song on the album, anyway. And do you really think the wistful, almost folk-ish "Along for the Ride" would have ever gotten the approval of MP? Never ever in a million years. I have no problem with the occasional "The Root of All Evil" or "Repentance," but, jeez, give it a rest. Just because DT is a "metal" band doesn't mean everything has to be so heavy and depressing. It's about the music, not the theme, and I think MP forgot that. ADTOE and DT - along with the introduction of Mangini, whom I LOVE - has re-invigorated this 20+ year fan and made him excited about the band again. DT was beginning to grow stale for me, and the "new era" has me re-energized.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2014, 02:48:08 AM »
5. People who fail to recognize the greatness of ADTOE and DT simply because MP is not in the band.

What about if people just dislike the albums due to weaker songwriting, poor production, and lacking elements they enjoyed from DT? Every opinion is equally valid, so it doesn't mean they're "failing to recognize" anything.

Too many people try to write off criticism of post-MP DT due to MP fanboyism and the like, when that is usually not the case here. Personally, I find ADTOE to be their most stale album (even though I do think it's decent overall), going through the motions because they had a schedule to keep. While I wouldn't have wanted them to go on a long hiatus like MP suggested, ADTOE makes me think a break wasn't such a bad idea after all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2014, 02:54:09 AM »
5. People who fail to recognize the greatness of ADTOE and DT simply because MP is not in the band.

What about if people just dislike the albums due to weaker songwriting, poor production, and lacking elements they enjoyed from DT? Every opinion is equally valid, so it doesn't mean they're "failing to recognize" anything.

Too many people try to write off criticism of post-MP DT due to MP fanboyism and the like, when that is usually not the case here. Personally, I find ADTOE to be their most stale album (even though I do think it's decent overall), going through the motions because they had a schedule to keep. While I wouldn't have wanted them to go on a long hiatus like MP suggested, ADTOE makes me think a break wasn't such a bad idea after all.
I agree.  While there are a handful of fans who seemingly write off the post-MP era, the overwhelming majority of fans who don't care for these two album just don't care for them; it has nothing to do with MP not being there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:50 AM »
I wish I did love the last two albums as much as anyone else, because I want to be enthusiastic about the current lineup. While I was bummed that MP left the band, I couldn't have been happier with their choice of replacement in MM, and have been open to whatever they've released, but just haven't enjoyed it as much. Each to their own, that's all.
And I haven't taken any interest in any of MP's post-DT projects either, so it's not a matter of taking sides.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »
Your the DT child in this divorce Blob :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2014, 07:39:05 AM »
I wish I did love the last two albums as much as anyone else, because I want to be enthusiastic about the current lineup. While I was bummed that MP left the band, I couldn't have been happier with their choice of replacement in MM, and have been open to whatever they've released, but just haven't enjoyed it as much. Each to their own, that's all.
And I haven't taken any interest in any of MP's post-DT projects either, so it's not a matter of taking sides.
This is me, too.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Danger Zone

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »

Personally, I just can't even begin to disagree with this enough. I mean, you cannot convince someone to like music. It's like trying to talk someone into falling in love with you. I have far more respect for someone who has given the albums a fair chance and just cannot like them, versus a MP disciple who simply does not like them because MP is not on them - that's what's really irritating.

While I'll admit that some of ADTOE took some time to sink in with me, I like it a lot lot better than Octavarium, a lot better than SC and better than BC&SL. I absolutely love the new album and I think the production value of both, but especially the new one, is magnificent. Hell, I love the fact that you can actually hear Myung on the new album! And like I wrote before, I believe "Illumination Theory" is the ultimate DT song (and, IMO, what the album should have been called). I don't ever remember listing to a 20-minute song as many times in my entire life as I have listened to that; I know every beat and ever note of that song now.

For me, it just seems like since MP left, a veil of repression has been lifted off of this band, and now they seem much more liberated and open, on a musical level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »

And yes, it is unrealistic to expect them to do EVERYTHING Portnoy did.  If doing those kinds of things were their things, they would have been doing them in the first place, like Petrucci answering questions from the fans or whatever.  Obviously, posting on his internet forum and/or social media is not really his thing, otherwise Petrucci would be doing it, not because he feels the need to fill the shoes of a former member, but because it was something he really wanted to do.  Forcing himself to do it just to do it would come off as disingenuous.

Then don't say you will. 

They didn't say they would.  Read Scotty's post a few below yours (or quoted below in this post).  They said nothing about how they would do EVERYTHING Portnoy did.

LaBrie: "Yes, Mike was all about those things and not to simplify it or belittle it, but that will just have to be something that we allocate to each and every one of us to take over. So that will be a major difference in the band. Instead of one person handling all of those responsibilities, it's going to be spread out over four others."

Rudess: "I guess we're excited about being able to look at all the cool stuff Mike did and spread them around a bit. We've got an amazing team of managers and tour managers, we're all very capable guys and we're not scared. This is not rocket science. This is not curing cancer, this is a rock band, and I think we can handle it."

So take that as you will, but the implication I read into these comments is that they will carry on doing all the things that MP had previously established, divided amongst the other band members.

The key word there is "implication."  You are assuming they meant one thing, when they probably meant another.  When JLB talked about responsibilities, he was likely not talking about every little thing Portnoy did that wasn't necessarily necessary to making their band work.  For example, doing covers is not a responsibility; it's a bonus thing Portnoy had them do.  LaBrie and Rudess were obviously talking about all of the little things that need to get done, not little things that the band can survive and succeed without.  Make sense? 

I mean, you cannot convince someone to like music. It's like trying to talk someone into falling in love with you. I have far more respect for someone who has given the albums a fair chance and just cannot like them, versus a MP disciple who simply does not like them because MP is not on them - that's what's really irritating.

Agreed, but that is their loss.  I am not sure why a small percentage go out of their way to not like music by a band they love, out of some bizarre loyalty to a musician who wouldn't know them from Adam, but like I said, it's their loss.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
Sometimes we get very hyped for a new album or gig, and sometimes expectations are not met. This was the case for me with DT12, i was so hyped to see how Mangini's input would change the dynamics in the band, and i was expecting SDOIT levels of experimentation, since it looked like a new beginning for the band.

The result was quite disappointing for me, really deflating my hype, both in terms of compositions and sound. For me it was a step back from ADTOE, so i'm not holding my breath for the band's next work.

So what was the most disappointing DT-related event for you?

I couldn't agree more, ADTOE was a positive surprise for me, given my love of Portnoy but DT12 is a major disappointment from my favorite band for the past 20 years. I did think the show was good, JP seemed especially on when I saw them in NYC. Funny though for the first time ever with the next album I may wait to hear it first before I buy. It was inevitable as MP was really the guy who was holding up the flag for original fan base. It's nice for them that they are attracting a younger audience but sad for us old farts stylistically it seems. Mangini is so concerned about the math of the song structure he forgot about feel and grove, and his drum sound blows even live it sucked. I could go on but I'm leaving to go see Kiss and Def Leppard and tailgate my ass off.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
You can never take people at their word until it is written out in details. 
<snip>
A lot of people including yourself set yourself up for a big heartache looking for all those extras.
Unfortunately you're right on that, shmeng. Guess I just expected the same straightforwardness from the other guys that we got with MP when he'd make promises.  :-\

5. People who fail to recognize the greatness of ADTOE and DT simply because MP is not in the band. Look, you know, full respect to MP. He was a founding member and he's a great drummer. But the last few albums with him (as good as they were in spots) seemed to be held back by a darkness that, I suspect, was his doing. His songs were about addiction, regret, disorder, etc. Fine. I get that the guy has personal demons, and so forth. But there are also four other people in the band with their own creative visions that I suspect were being somewhat silenced by MP's alpha personality. He was the black clouds to Petrucci's, Rudess', Myung's and LaBrie's silver linings. Simply compare a track like "Constant Motion" with anything from the latest album. There are deeper themes and the musicianship has been reborn.
Hold on a minute - you're gonna solely blame MP for the last couple/few albums that didn't match up to what (you believe) their previous albums were in terms of quality? There's no doubt that MP helped steer the ship in terms of the musical direction, which led to some of the heavier/darker material that they wrote. Keep in mind tho that the Octavarium album also came from that time, which didn't have anywhere near as much darkness. And MP had *nothing* to do with what others wrote about lyrically. So darkness, negativity, etc. of the lyrics to As I Am, In the Presence of Enemies, A Nightmare to Remember and others should be placed at JP's feet, since he's the one who decided to write the lyrics about those topics! And let's not forget that while MP no doubt contributed musical ideas to the songwriting, the majority of it came from JP and JR, so again, not all the blame can be placed at MP's feet.

The guitar solo on "The Bigger Picture" is daring in its simple beauty. MP would have likely insisted JP shred some aggressive solo for it, if he would have even allowed the song on the album, anyway. And do you really think the wistful, almost folk-ish "Along for the Ride" would have ever gotten the approval of MP? Never ever in a million years. I have no problem with the occasional "The Root of All Evil" or "Repentance," but, jeez, give it a rest. Just because DT is a "metal" band doesn't mean everything has to be so heavy and depressing. It's about the music, not the theme, and I think MP forgot that.
Really? You think MP told JP what to play for a guitar solo and that JP bowed to his wishes? C'mon man - get real. I can't imagine MP ever insisting that JP play something! Who sometimes does over-the-top shredding in the concert setting that's not on the album? JP! Not MP! To make such a comment just is ridiculous. If that's not enough, I submit to you half of the Octavarium album (especially These Walls), as well as Repentance, The Best of Times and The Count of Tuscany as evidence of non-agressive shredding solos done on recent MP-era albums. And if that's not enough, even *if* MP directed JP to play something and JP wasn't in full agreement with it, you can be sure that JP would've stood up to MP, just as he did with the angry/pseudo-cookie monster vocals in A Nightmare to Remember.

I won't disagree that the general direction of DT was starting to get a bit too dark and negative (altho you do have Wither and The Best of Times on BCaSL which don't come off that way) for my personal tastes. For that I'm glad that there's much more of a balance of uplifting style songs on the last 2 albums to balance out the darkness. But I would have been curious to see what DT's next album direction would have been had MP still been with them. I can't imagine that it would have continued in the same direction as the last two, considering that previously they always changed direction in reaction to the previous album (SC and BCaSL being the exception to the rule). Not that this could ever be proved, but one has to wonder...

For me, it just seems like since MP left, a veil of repression has been lifted off of this band, and now they seem much more liberated and open, on a musical level.
I don't think I'd go as far as to say that the rest of the band had been repressed, but certainly there's been a renewed sense of enthusiasm and energy in the songwriting. But part of that renewal could be attributed to the fact that they *had* to prove something after MP left. And having a new band member would definitely cause a shake-up in the way they wrote new music.

The key word there is "implication."  You are assuming they meant one thing, when they probably meant another.  When JLB talked about responsibilities, he was likely not talking about every little thing Portnoy did that wasn't necessarily necessary to making their band work.  For example, doing covers is not a responsibility; it's a bonus thing Portnoy had them do.  LaBrie and Rudess were obviously talking about all of the little things that need to get done, not little things that the band can survive and succeed without.  Make sense? 
I follow you regarding what JL said. But on the other hand, JR specifically comments on "the cool stuff Mike did" which obviously is *not* in reference to the necessary responsibilities of running a band. So yes, it still is in reference to the bonuses and perks that MP did.

I mean, you cannot convince someone to like music. It's like trying to talk someone into falling in love with you. I have far more respect for someone who has given the albums a fair chance and just cannot like them, versus a MP disciple who simply does not like them because MP is not on them - that's what's really irritating.
Agreed, but that is their loss.  I am not sure why a small percentage go out of their way to not like music by a band they love, out of some bizarre loyalty to a musician who wouldn't know them from Adam, but like I said, it's their loss.
Just to clarify - not sure if Danger Zone's (or MarkFitDT's earlier) comments are in reference to me or Stadler, but at least speaking for me, I still do enjoy the albums they'd put out since then and I still have seen the band several times without MP, altho my enthusiasm is not what it once was. I think the honest number of people who will refuse to like an album solely because MP isn't on it is pretty small and I agree that it's their loss.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
Sometimes we get very hyped for a new album or gig, and sometimes expectations are not met. This was the case for me with DT12, i was so hyped to see how Mangini's input would change the dynamics in the band, and i was expecting SDOIT levels of experimentation, since it looked like a new beginning for the band.

The result was quite disappointing for me, really deflating my hype, both in terms of compositions and sound. For me it was a step back from ADTOE, so i'm not holding my breath for the band's next work.

So what was the most disappointing DT-related event for you?

I couldn't agree more, ADTOE was a positive surprise for me, given my love of Portnoy but DT12 is a major disappointment from my favorite band for the past 20 years. I did think the show was good, JP seemed especially on when I saw them in NYC. Funny though for the first time ever with the next album I may wait to hear it first before I buy. It was inevitable as MP was really the guy who was holding up the flag for original fan base. It's nice for them that they are attracting a younger audience but sad for us old farts stylistically it seems. Mangini is so concerned about the math of the song structure he forgot about feel and grove, and his drum sound blows even live it sucked. I could go on but I'm leaving to go see Kiss and Def Leppard and tailgate my ass off.

just a couple of observations :-

regarding attracting a younger audience - the last gig that I went to at Wolverhampton earlier in the year the age range was a real mix (lot more women nowadays aswell which is good) and I think a song like Illumination Theory is more likely to appeal to one of the more "mature" listeners compared to something like A Nightmare to Remember. I know that is only a comparison of 2 songs but I dont think they are going out of their way to attract a particular age range in fact they have been accused on here of playing it safe and only trying to appeal to their current fanbase which includes a lot of oldish farts including myself!

Portnoy used to get stick for lacking feel and groove in the past - I remember a couple of instances reading in magazines circa I&W when other bands were reviewing songs and I cant give you a direct quote but one said words to the effect of how good a drummer he was but could he play a simple groove and that he was always overplaying. I think Blind Melon might have been involved but dont quote me!

Portnoys drumming was growing stale and almost "by numbers" on the last few albums and Mangini's drumming has been a lot more interesting to listen to - to these ears anyway

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Portnoy used to get stick for lacking feel and groove in the past - I remember a couple of instances reading in magazines circa I&W when other bands were reviewing songs and I cant give you a direct quote but one said words to the effect of how good a drummer he was but could he play a simple groove and that he was always overplaying. I think Blind Melon might have been involved but dont quote me!

Your example had to go back to IaW, the DT album with the triggered drums. :lol That triggered approach takes all subtlety and feel out of playing (at least, in 1992 tech it did). It's also no surprise that MP hates the drums on that album.

At worst, MP's drumming was getting safe on BCASL, but SC doesn't deserve to be lumped in with that. Highly underrated drumming on that album, and I prefer it to any of MM's drumming with DT so far. I was hoping DT12 was going to be the album that MM wows me after having less input with ADTOE, but it mostly didn't impress me.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
At worst, MP's drumming was getting safe on BCASL, but SC doesn't deserve to be lumped in with that. Highly underrated drumming on that album, and I prefer it to any of MM's drumming with DT so far. I was hoping DT12 was going to be the album that MM wows me after having less input with ADTOE, but it mostly didn't impress me.

MP definitely kills it on the SC album. I mean, just that intro to ITPOE1.  :hefdaddy
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
MP has some wonderful drum parts. I don't think any credit should be taken from his drumming; he has come up with some amazingly complex and catchy grooves, and it's always fun to listen to. Yeah, he reused a good number of fills, but considering how many hours of studio albums DT has released, that's not surprising. That being said, MM has a good number of drum parts that completely blow me away as well.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2014, 03:40:12 AM »
I like Mangini but so far he hasn't done anything with DT that makes me prefer him to Portnoy. I'd say DT12 puts him about on par. I definitely don't think he holds a groove better. I think Octavarium and SC (to cite later Portnoy examples) have some great examples of Portnoy playing really infectious grooves that proved he was more than just technique. This was my favorite thing about Portnoy and I haven't really heard it from Mangini. I can think of the pre-verse in The Enemy Inside, but besides that no obvious examples spring to mind. Of course Mangini hasn't had nearly as many chances as Portnoy did to prove himself, so I'll hold judgement for when we've gotten a couple more albums from DT.

Mangini hasn't disappointed in the technical department though. He plays some really mindblowing stuff. Portnoy stopped blowing me away like that sometime after Six Degrees.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2014, 05:08:46 AM »
Could it be considered a disappointment that the band hasn't made Metropolis Part 3 yet?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
I like Mangini but so far he hasn't done anything with DT that makes me prefer him to Portnoy.

Everything about him.

Every time MP tweets or facebooks about something DT related - I like him less and less  and like MM more and more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »
I like Mangini but so far he hasn't done anything with DT that makes me prefer him to Portnoy.

Everything about him.

Every time MP tweets or facebooks about something DT related - I like him less and less  and like MM more and more.

Except he's talking about the music, ie. the thing that actually matters.
I'm sure Chad Kroeger is a great guy too, but it doesn't make Nickelback's music any better as a result.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »
I think MP (for good or worse) is more of a character than MM is. MP has tons of personality, he is outspoken and he really is the kind of person you either love or hate. MM on the other hand, at least IMO feels more generic. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a skilled drummer, but I think the loss of MP hurt DT more because they lost a driving force, and a big personality rather than losing a superior drummer. I would say MM plays in the same league as MP without a doubt, but MP was more interesting as a person.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Dead on Jimmy.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »

Everything about him.

That has nothing to do with the music though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »

Everything about him.

Mangini is like 30% of what makes Illumination Theory one of DT's best songs.  I can't imagine it working with MP's style of drumming.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »

Just to clarify - not sure if Danger Zone's (or MarkFitDT's earlier) comments are in reference to me or Stadler, but at least speaking for me, I still do enjoy the albums they'd put out since then and I still have seen the band several times without MP, altho my enthusiasm is not what it once was. I think the honest number of people who will refuse to like an album solely because MP isn't on it is pretty small and I agree that it's their loss.

And I have gone out of my way to say the same thing.   DT is STILL one of my favorite bands, and I think ADTOE and DT12 are good, not great, albums.  I have the 5.1 mix of DT12, and listen to it rather frequently.   I am actually a huge Mangini fan, so it isn't about "MP/MM" in that sense.   For me, it's about what set DT apart from other bands. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »

Everything about him.

Mangini is like 30% of what makes Illumination Theory one of DT's best songs.  I can't imagine it working with MP's style of drumming.

There are rhythms in IT that I don't like MM's choices for and it stops me enjoying those sections, and I wonder what MP would have done with instead. Not to mention that IT both starts and finishes with almost exact clones of the intro/outro drum fills of SDOIT. That always jumped out at me.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
Not to mention that IT both starts and finishes with almost exact clones of the intro/outro drum fills of SDOIT. That always jumped out at me.

lol

You're right.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2014, 11:49:37 AM »
What rhythms are those Blob? I've always been a big fan the drumming on IT, but then again, I'm a fan of MM's drumming in general.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.