Author Topic: Biggest DT-related disappointment  (Read 16527 times)

Offline voncorn

Re: Biggest DT-related disappointment
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:55:54 PM by voncorn »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
And the DT show in KC back in April.

Seriously, how does anyone think that concerts at deafening levels sound good?

DT does. You will hear on the Boston DVD how James says that it isn't metal if it isn't loud.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
Loud =/= Defeaning, but that could've been what James meant. It was way louder than it needed to be. Kev is the only one here (I think) that can compare the KC show to others, so he could probably provide the most insight into that.

Where you at the Boston show, rumborak?
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
This year's show in Boston was freaking way too loud. I realize it's such a  Fogey to say and all, but IT WAS!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
The KC show was deafeningly loud.

The Chicago show, which I saw four nights earlier, was perfect volume.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

Yup. At some point I took out the earplugs and it was so insanely loud that my ears were "clipping".

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
DT12 by a long shot.

With the exception of parts of IT, it is their most phoned-in and uninspired work to date, an absolute dreck that is so embarrassing for DT that it makes Systematic Chaos look like their magnum opus (bit of an exaggerated simile, but you get the idea).

Yeah, I think that pretty much nails it for me too.  There are only 3 songs on DT12 that I would call decent and IT definitely isn't one of them.  Weakest album since WDADU and I rank SC and BC&SL higher and those aren't even in my top 8.

SDOIT
I&W
SFAM
Awake
FII
ToT
8VM
ADTOE
BC&SL
SC
DT12
WDADU
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
Portnoy leaving (though I think MM is great and fits well if not better with the rest of the band) and DT12.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
I am greatly disappointed with the fans who don't appreciate how brilliant  DT12 is. I love the insanely well-crafted songs on this record! I could not have been happier with the release, and Mangini shows what a beast he is on drums on this record! Truly one of the best albums in the career of Dream Theater!

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
Having had a bit more time to consider how DT12 compares to their other albums, I would say its highs don't reach the highs on most of the other albums, but its lows are higher than the lows on the majority.  It's a very consistent album; most of the songs are in the good to very good range; nothing bad, but nothing totally outstanding either.  In other words, if I did a DT top 100, almost every song from it would probably be in the 35-70 range.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
This year's show in Boston was freaking way too loud. I realize it's such a  Fogey to say and all, but IT WAS!

Agreed.  I was there too.  A classic opera house is not acoustically situated for a metal show, unless that metal band makes concessions in volume.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
Having had a bit more time to consider how DT12 compares to their other albums, I would say its highs don't reach the highs on most of the other albums, but its lows are higher than the lows on the majority.  It's a very consistent album; most of the songs are in the good to very good range; nothing bad, but nothing totally outstanding either.  In other words, if I did a DT top 100, almost every song from it would probably be in the 35-70 range.

I could agree with that. At the same time, I would say the issue is not so much what DT12 *is*, but what rather what it is not.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

Agreed.  I was there too.  A classic opera house is not acoustically situated for a metal show, unless that metal band makes concessions in volume.

Speaking of concessions, the best sound in the venue was actually at the upstairs concession stand, in the hallway. I got some beer there and took my earplugs out; it was a good volume there and you could hear stuff quite well (which however shows you how loud it was inside, since there was a hallway and fire doors inbetween).

The ushers also quickly fled the inside of the theater. They were all sitting in the hallway because it was too loud inside.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
I just now realized how many times someone has said "DT12" as an answer to the question in the OP. :lol Glad to see it getting all the love.

I am greatly disappointed with the fans who don't appreciate how brilliant  DT12 is. I love the insanely well-crafted songs on this record! I could not have been happier with the release, and Mangini shows what a beast he is on drums on this record! Truly one of the best albums in the career of Dream Theater!

Definitely agree with the bolded statement, but if a majority of the fanbase hates it, ehh whatever, I say let 'em (I don't mind having the dissenting opinion for once lol).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

The ushers also quickly fled the inside of the theater. They were all sitting in the hallway because it was too loud inside.

I swear there were like a dozen of them hanging out by the front door! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
I agree about the levels.  I haven't had my ears ringing like that in a long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
I really can't think of any major disappointments.  And I have to work a bit to think of minor ones, although I can name a few.  FII was definitely a disappointment at first.  But after awhile, I came to really appreciate most of the songs. 

I was a bit disappointed by the fact that DT cut their touring schedule a bit short and never really did a proper U.S. headline tour for Black Clouds. 

I was also a bit let down by the last two 12SS installments.  With TROAE, they appeared to realize that the songs could benefit quite a bit by being more concise.  Then they went the other direction with the last two, which both contained some definite gold, but feel like they far overstay their welcome.  The Shattered Fortress, in a way, exceeded expectations in that it took some previous themes and riffs that were already quite good and really elevated them.  But at the same time, there were just too many reprises and difficult transitions for it to feel as cohesive as I thought it should. 

Again, in the grand scheme of things, these are pretty minor. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »

I was a bit disappointed by the fact that DT cut their touring schedule a bit short and never really did a proper U.S. headline tour for Black Clouds. 

This. I didn't like the Progressive Nation concept as a whole. I wanted way more DT on those tours!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
I just now realized how many times someone has said "DT12" as an answer to the question in the OP. :lol Glad to see it getting all the love.

Definitely agree with the bolded statement, but if a majority of the fanbase hates it, ehh whatever, I say let 'em (I don't mind having the dissenting opinion for once lol).

I really don't think a majority of the fan base is represented here. To my ears, DT 12 is one of their best releases ever, certainly top 3.

Biggest disappointment: Kevin leaving. I remember when word trickled out back then--I'm not sure how I found out, maybe the Ytsejam mailing list?--and it left all of us floored.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »
I found out when they hit the stage on the opening night of the tour in Providence. Some dude with short hair was playing keyboards, and it wasn't Kevin Moore. :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »

Yup. At some point I took out the earplugs and it was so insanely loud that my ears were "clipping".
Same here. Wasn't the loudest show that my dad has been to though.
The treble was causing the clipping it would seem, and the bass was so muddy.
The bootleg doesn't represent it well. The taper is a cool guy, but he also recorded the Worcester show. Both boots suffer from pure mud in the bass that makes the bass drums inaudible in a way that other recordings and the real thing aren't.

But yes, I wish the shows were better sounding (I was in Boston and New York).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »

Thats a pretty good assessment although I would differ when it comes to TBP and IT with I think are excellent songs and probably as good or near as good as anything. 

This. I didn't like the Progressive Nation concept as a whole. I wanted way more DT on those tours!

Now that you mention it, I agree with this.  Hadn't thought of it but yeah, the bands differed too much and really all I wanted to hear was DT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »

Thats a pretty good assessment although I would differ when it comes to TBP and IT with I think are excellent songs and probably as good or near as good as anything. 

I think those two and Surrender to Reason are the best of the lot, for sure, but I can't call any of them a top 20 DT song or anything like that.  I like to update the mp3 CDs I make for my car every so often, and when I was redoing the DT one recently, now that enough time has passed since the release of DT12, I realized I only had room for two of the four really long songs I'd want to put on there (ACOS, 8V, TCOT and IT), and I realized that while 8V and ACOS were no-brainers, it was tough getting either of the other two on there.  If I thought IT was a top 20 tune, I would have found a way to put it on there.  I still like it a lot, don't get me wrong, but they simply have several dozen songs that are better, IMO. :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Overall, I'd say the loss of dynamic range in their recordings. I just blasted Awake on a really good audio system in the car. It was a sonic rollercoaster ride. I wouldn't even dare to put on DT12 after it. The difference in quality would be so big it's almost laughable.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
I'm so pissed by the fact that we may never see a LTE 3. Both albums are freaking amazing, and all the members can rise up and shine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
I'm so pissed by the fact that we may never see a LTE 3. Both albums are freaking amazing, and all the members can rise up and shine.

True, but it's been too long and all of the guys are in completely different head spaces now, so the odds of them channeling the same vibe they had back in '98/'99 are slim to none.  Sure, it'd still be good, but I fear it would be just good, not great. 

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
People saying that SC, BC&SL, Raw Dog, and even the all-mighty ToT, sucks..  :facepalm:

That is and, unfortunately, it will be my biggest DT-related disappointment..

[PD: a recent one (I mean that I recently heard about) and this time related directly with the band: the "tributes" to another bands in 6DoIT, the song...]
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »
That's more of a DT-fanbase-related disappointment.

Offline robbob

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
I have to say DT12, it's not a bad album by any stretch, but it's very bland. Very few riffs or instrumental sections that are memorable. IT is good and Surrender to Reason are my 2 favorites though. I think Rumborack said it best (I would say the issue is not so much what DT12 *is*, but what rather what it is not)

It's surprising the opinions people have when comparing DT12 to ADTOE. ADTOE is a great album IMO. The foursome of OTBOA, Outcry, BAL and BiTS are all better than anything on DT12.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
DT-related disappointment anyway..  :azn:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
That's more of a DT-fanbase-related disappointment.

I don't know, at times I consider the fanbase to be one of DT's biggest disappointments. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:33 PM »
I'm surprised how much people in here dislike DT12.  I don't remember reading so many negative views on it after its initial release.  I could easily be wrong though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
I'm surprised how much people in here dislike DT12.  I don't remember reading so many negative views on it after its initial release.  I could easily be wrong though.
Well for me personally (even though I didn't make any posts about disappointment with DT12), it just hasn't aged very well at all. I wasn't ever head over heels for it, but I was definitely more favourable towards it initially, than I am now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
Well for me personally, it just hasn't aged very well at all. I wasn't ever head over heels for it, but I was definitely more favourable towards it initially, than I am now.

I guess this general view could explain a lot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
And the DT show in KC back in April.

Seriously, how does anyone think that concerts at deafening levels sound good?

DT does. You will hear on the Boston DVD how James says that it isn't metal if it isn't loud.
This is so surprising. The Denver show I went to was one of the quietest metal concerts I've heard. It was a great volume, every instrument was clear and nothing was overbearing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods