Author Topic: Biggest DT-related disappointment  (Read 16510 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Biggest DT-related disappointment
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
Great post, indeed. But you forgot one big thing: Happy Holidays CD for FREE :hefdaddy

He didn't ;)

Great post, Bosk.
Sorry, I haven't seen it on first read :blush

Well, it was so great and unexpected that it's worth being mentioned once more anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
The metaphor I thought of was giving someone a 6 string bass and saying ' this demonstrably has more strings than a 4 string bass'

and them going 'that's just your opinion'.

But that is flawed, unless you can agree what it specifically and measurably means to be "technically superior".   There is no definition of "six" that yields a number other than the number of faces of a cube, and no definition of "four" that yields a number other than the number of sides of a quadrangle, and neither of those is subject to a given person's perspective.   There are many (if not infinite) definitions of "technically superior", many (if not all) that REQUIRE one's personal perspective.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Wait somebody in DT checks up with you about the fourm? I suddenly feel giddy.

Yes.  And why?  Because he wants to know and cares about what the fans think.  I also have had Frank Solomon personally call me to ask what I thought the fan reaction would be to a certain thing the band were thinking about doing.  Again, the point isn't about me--it's the fact that they understand that a significant portion of the fanbase is represented by these online forums, and they care about what we think and sometimes, when appropriate, take it into account when making decisions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »
I hope you portray us forumers in the best possible way, bosk  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
Yeah.  In fact, to MAKE SURE the forum is portrayed in the best possible light, whenever asked directly by the band, I just tell them we banned you and reported you to Interpol a long time ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:16 PM »
bosk1, saving the day for democracy since 2007.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
That's all well and good but has anyone in DT dyed their beard blue ?

NO.  :angry:

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
:omg: Is that real !!!!???

Hehe. It's probably an FX. Lord knows Rudess can't get enough of editing photos like a 12 yr old girl who just discovered Instagram :lol #NoFilter

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »
Definitely DT12. It's been a huge disappointment for me....I didn't like SC or BC&SL that much, and had basically given up on them, but when ADTOE was released it was a very pleasant surprise. I love that record, and had high hopes for DT12. I thought maybe they'd continue to "return to form", but then they turned around and released this commercial mainstream-ish album. Yesterday I was watching a new JP interview for guitar interactive magazine, and he said they made a conscious decision to write shorter, more concise songs, that would hopefully appeal to mainstream audiences. Am I the only person who thinks their recent Grammy nominations have affected their songwriting? Because it sure sounds like it to me. Back when they first streamed "The Enemy Inside" I literally sat there in disgust...I was angered and irritated by what I was hearing, and kept asking out loud "WHY?!? WHY?!?!". Anyway, we'll see if the next one is better, but for some reason I feel like they're going to keep slipping down the direction they're headed.

I agree with most of this except for a few things.  I liked SC and BC&SL for the most part.  ADTOE is really good except for Far From Heaven and Beneath The Surface.  Those two songs detract from the rest of the album, IMO.

As far as DT12 goes, The Enemy Inside seemed a little off to me at first, but it's a decent song.  I think JP's solo saved it.  The Looking Glass may be mainstream by I still like it.  JLB's singing is good and it has another classic JP type solo.  Behind The Veil is probably my favorite on the album.  The rest is rather disappointing.  Doesn't do much for me at all.  Hopefully the next release will be an improvement.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline a8ac

« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Actually, today ive just experienced my biggest DT-related disappointment.
I had been waiting for them to come to colombia since the tour started, and I was expecting them
To come because they have visited colombia in almost every tour... But Im new to DT
 and I had been waiting this whole year to see that concert in person with my friends...

Now I find out in a FB post that they are only going to Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Japan...And now I wont get to see them live, or talk to them in a meet & greet, and Ill have to accept that the Boston DVD is the closest ill get to that show...

If I misunderstood something from that post or if DT is actually planning to go to at least more places in south america, please tell me

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2014, 01:33:44 AM »
The South America shows are only starting to be announced, are you sure a show in your country isn't going to be announced sometime in the near future?
- Marco

Offline a8ac

« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2014, 01:53:33 AM »
Thats what I thought before... Now Im not really sure, these concerts are next month and then they are going to Japan. If they were to announce later another concert in september there wouldnt be enough time to buy the tickets and stuff.. (I think)
And that last DTs Facebook post about the new clock said something like this: "of course not all of us can make it to a show, If you cant get to Chile, Argentina, Brazil or Japan, theres something else you might like: "The New Eclipse Clock!"
Please tell me I just missinterpreted the whole thing and they really are coming
I dont want a clock... I want to see them live :/

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2014, 02:54:10 AM »
I looked up at the schedule and there's a big gap between Buenos Aires (26/9) and Brasilia (7/10). Surely this gap will be filled with at least four other gigs in the rest of the continent. It doesn't make sense to stay in stand-by mode for 10 days while on tour.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
My biggest DT disappointment has been well documented on this forum in the last 4 years.

It's the gift that keeps on disappointing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
I looked up at the schedule and there's a big gap between Buenos Aires (26/9) and Brasilia (7/10). Surely this gap will be filled with at least four other gigs in the rest of the continent. It doesn't make sense to stay in stand-by mode for 10 days while on tour.

There´s no gap...here are the dates in Brazil:

30/09 - Porto Alegre/RS - Pepsi on Stage
02/10 - Curitiba/PR - Master Hall
04/10 - São Paulo/SP - Espaço das Américas
05/10 - Rio de Janeiro/RJ - Vivo Rio
07/10 - Brasilia/DF - Net Live Brasilia
10/10 - Recife/PE - Chevrolet Hall
11/10 - Fortaleza/CE - Centro de Eventos do Ceara

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »
Oh, wow, those weren't included on the official site. Well, in this case I guess we'll know shortly if there's any hope.
- Marco

Offline a8ac

« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
So they chose to play at 10 different cities in Brazil instead of playing in Panama, venezuela, ecuador, bolivia... And Colombia.

Well thats disappointing...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Well, seven dates in Brazil is a lot, but you have to consider that the country is very big, almost a sub-continent. Plus, don't be disappointed at the band, most of the times missing a particoular touring spot is not the result of a band's decision, but rather of a number of different factors, like local promoters, venue owners, band management, schedules and everything. The band often has the final say, true, but if a place doesn't get a show it's most likely because things didn't work out, not because the band decided not to visit said place. But again, let us not mend the head before it's broken, there could still be announcements. :)
- Marco

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Brazil is actually the 5th biggest country in the world, so them getting 10 shows shouldn't be considered unusual at all. 

Offline a8ac

« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »
Well, i guess youre right... Brazil is a big country, and I would go to a show there.. But all of those cities they are visiting are more than 5 hours (flight time) away.
Its not the band's fault I understand that, but I guess right now Im just mad and cant help but feel dissapointed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
Well, i guess youre right... Brazil is a big country, and I would go to a show there.. But all of those cities they are visiting are more than 5 hours (flight time) away.
Its not the band's fault I understand that, but I guess right now Im just mad and cant help but feel dissapointed.
Don't feel too bad.  I live in the band's home country, and they never come anywhere within an 8-hour drive for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
Well, the band never visited any place within driving distance to my place, so I have always had to take a plane to see a show, but I understand that a plane/train from Colombia or Peru to Brasil is likely to be require a bigger economical undertaking than a plane to cross the Tyrrhenian Sea.  :(
- Marco

Offline a8ac

« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
:/ yeah thats sad, but at least its an 8-hour drive, I live in a city that is 15 hours away from the capital (where they usually go)so I was planning to go by plane (1 hour flight), but a 5 hour flight to brazil its just too much

Offline a8ac

« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
Yeah.. Going to those cities in brazil is the same as going to argentina or chile.. So, no oportunity for me
It would be easier and cheaper to just go to the US but now its too late :S

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »
Yeah.. Going to those cities in brazil is the same as going to argentina or chile.. So, no oportunity for me
It would be easier and cheaper to just go to the US but now its too late :S

I can recommend a few cheap but cool places to stay in Rio if you want to come around.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
Nah its fine, I wish I could go, but its really difficult for me at this time of the year, but thanks

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
I would be very wary calling DT12 as lacking in innovation and inspiration, but at the same time it's very easy to say that when compared to the variation present in the earlier records. I just miss the variation. Changing themes of each album. Stuff like that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2014, 01:00:58 AM »
My biggest DT related disappointment is Mike Portnoy quitting for sure. I was still a pretty new fan in 2010, and my friends asked me if I wanted to go to the Iron Maiden/Dream Theater show at Madison Square Garden. I felt I wasn't familiar enough with either bands' material at that point to go see them so I said no. After that, I started to listen to more and more DT to get familiar with their discography and thought I would catch them the next time they came around. Then, Mike made the announcement that he was leaving. I was devastated because since MP was the most vocal member, he was essentially the one who was making me familiar with the band. I was becoming a fan through Mike Portnoy and now he was gone. I also wasn't sure if the band would be okay without him I'm sure many people felt this way as well). When ADToE came out, I didn't like it at first but now it's one of my favorites by them and I saw them at Hammerstein Ballroom in March and it was the best concert I ever saw. Everything worked out for both parties, but I'm still disappointed that I didn't get to see DT with MP and I probably never will.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
Mike Portnoy leaving, DT12 and the static setlist on this tour.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Brazil is actually the 5th biggest country in the world, so them getting 10 shows shouldn't be considered unusual at all.

Well... Argentina is the 8th and we have one date only. The issue here is population: 42 millions against 202 in Brazil.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:52 AM »
DT12 easily. I tried so hard to like that record but it's just lacking in so many ways that I simply cannot "love" that album. A shame really,IT is a really sweet song.