Author Topic: Haunting and dark song, now with vocals!  (Read 855 times)

Offline ddtonfire

Haunting and dark song, now with vocals!
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Hey all,

Finally rerecorded and put vocals on a old song. I'm not much of a singer, but I gave it a shot. It's kind of like the lovechild of Dream Theater's Space-Dye Vest and Dillinger Escape Plan's Dead as History.

Any comments, critiques, and suggestions on the vocals, mix, or mastering are appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/perfect-second/captive-my-thoughts-1

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
Re: Haunting and dark song, now with vocals!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:02 AM »
Its genre mix is not my usual cup of tea but I liked it a lot. The intro sets the mood perfectly, the ghost piano sound is great (add more ghost piano :biggrin:). I would say the middle part where you shift your verse through different instrumentation and intensity levels could use some more variety in the vocal lines and maybe more of the harmonies to keep it fresh. Vocals may not be perfect throughout but suit the song very well. The solo part felt like an invitation to jam which is always the best sign that I like something. Maybe some more of the clean solo and then a switch to a calm but fat lead tone picking it up? And in an album context the outro would obviously feel too long except for a last track of course.

Don't forget to post if you change anything.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ddtonfire

Re: Haunting and dark song, now with vocals!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
Thank you! It really makes my day to know someone wound enjoy jamming to my stuff! And yeah, if I ever did an album, this would most definitely be the closer.