Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55928 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Robert Plant would ultimately become as important a contributor to Zeppelin as Page, though initially was an obscure 'find' by Page to join the band.  Nowadays, it seems unfathomable that Plant nearly abandoned his music career, given that he also routinely at the top of 'best rock vocalist of all time' polls.  And when Freddie Mercury cites you as an influence, you know you've just a little bit of vocal credibility.

Page left home at 16, and started his "real education musically, moving from group to group, furthering my knowledge of the blues and of other music".  Over his teenage musical career, Plant would play in several small bands, even signing a deal with CBS Records that saw a few singles released, but nothing of any significance.

One of Plant's musical endeavors - Band of Joy - ended with him being fired because their manager thought he couldn't sing.  Plant formed his own version of Band of Joy (twice), with no lasting success.  The only good thing to come of this, was his timely re-introduction to drummer John Bonham on the third iteration of the band (who he'd initially played with in the band Crawling King Snakes).  By 1968, Plant was fronting a band by the name of Hobbstweedle when Jimmy Page and Peter Grant paid a visit to see/hear Plant in action on July 20 of that year at the Birmingham Teacher Training College auditorium.  The timing was rather fortuitous, as Plant had committed to his girlfriend that he would quit the music business if he didn't hit it big by his 20th birthday - which was to come just one month after he first met Page.

It was during their subsequent visit to Page's home in Pangbourne, where they ultimately connected over their love of blues and American rock (more specifically, through the album Joan Baez Live in Concert, Part One).  It was also at this time that |Plant suggested Page check out a drummer he'd worked with in several bands.

------------------------------------------------------------

John Bonham starting playing the drums at 5, making his own kit out of boxes and cans.  His mother gave him a snare drum at the age of 10, and he received his first proper drum kit from his father at 15 - never with any formal training.  To say he had natural talent would be an understatement.  In 1964, Bonham joined his first semi-professional band, Terry Webb and the Spiders, met his future wife Pat Phillips around the same time, played in other Birmingham bands, then ultimately took up drumming full-time.

He was 20 years old, married with a child (Jason) working as a part-time carpenter, and drumming for folk rocker Tim Rose (having just left Band of Joy) when he first met Jimmy Page.  Page and manager Peter Grant were instantly convinced that he was the perfect fit for their band.  It took quite some convincing to get Bonham to come on board with the other three.  Bonham negotiated a £50/week salary plus £25 for driving the van.  Clearly, Bonham's motivations for joining the band were almost purely financial, as was Plant's, while Page and Jones were in it for the chance at greater musical creativity and stardom.  Despite multiple offers to join other bands (including Joe Cocker), Bonham ultimately chose Page's act not just because of the money, but because he felt the music more suited his interests.

Bonham's accolades and legacy are no less impressive than Page's or Plant's. Widely regarded as one of the (if not the) most important, well-known and influential drummers in rock, he too regularly tops the polls for 'greatest of all time' with his craft.  The (in)famous drummers that cite his as their influence include Alex Van Halen, Tommy Lee, Peter Criss, Roger Taylor, and Eric Carr, who stated in 1989 that "at least 85% of all of the rock drummers today have gotten influences from Bonham".

------------------------------------------------------------

As their manager, Peter Grant's relevance to the legacy of Led Zeppelin cannot be understated - and at 6'5" and tipping the scales at 300+ pounds, he had an intimidating aura to say the least.  It is no less significant than the contributions that the band members made.  It started with Grant buying The Yardbirds towards the end of 1966, but it was too late to save the band who, despite being musically successful, were a disaster financially.  Having proved himself by making them profitable on the first tour he managed them for (though it was too little, too late), he earned Page's trust.  It was Grant's management that made Led Zeppelin the biggest and richest act of the 70s, and perhaps of all time, redefining what it meant to be a touring band, and made Grant himself the most powerful manager in rock.

On the Yardbirds' final US tour, Grant hired a young tour manager, Richard Cole, who would also go on to be a lasting contributor to the Led Zeppelin legacy - both positive and negative.  It was allegedly Cole who took the idea of the band name from a dialog between Keith Moon, John Entwistle and Page... in having the idea of forming a supergroup with Steve Winwood, Entwhistle commented it would probably go over like a "lead zeppelin" (although other accounts suggest it was during the recording of Beck's Bolero, that the supergroup was with Jeff Beck, Moon, Jones and keyboardist Nicky Hopkins, and it was Moon that made the remark).  What is not in question is that Grant later encouraged Page to drop the "a", ensuring it would not be pronounced by US fans as "leed" zeppelin.

Formation of Led Zeppelin
After The Yardbirds played their final gig in July 1968, they were still committed to several concerts in Scandinavia.  The band authorized Page to use "The Yardbirds" name to fulfill the band's obligations. Upon the successful recruitment of Plant, Bonham and Jones, Page had his band.  The four played together for the first time in a room below a record store on Gerrard Street in London, with Page recounting that he'd "never been so turned on in all my life".  The band completed the Scandinavian tour as the New Yardbirds, playing together for the first time in front of a live audience at the Gladsaxe Teen Clubs in Gladsaxe, Denmark, on September 7th, 1968.

When you look back at these four individuals, and how history regards them, it's easy to see how they rose so far so fast, yet also incredible to comprehend that the total was greater than the sum of the individual parts.  Greg nailed it:

the world has never experienced a better Rock Band..PERIOD!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I had been exposed to Led Zeppelin for a while before I really took to them.  In high school, I was already into Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, bands that we call Prog now, but back then there wasn't really a name for this genre; the closest was probably Art Rock.

Anyway, my one friend Chris (same guy from the Foreigner story for those following the "Song of the Day" thread) and I used to have lengthy conversations about music, and he was always talking about Led Zeppelin.  This is the guy who'd turned me on to King Crimson and Frank Zappa.  I kept talking them down, out of ignorance mostly, because really, basic guitar-bass-drums-vocals, how amazing could it be?  Oh, the bassist plays keyboards, too?  Okay, that's kinda cool, but Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Tony Banks.

Chris kept insisting that it was, in a way, so much more impressive how this "basic" four-piece band had achieved such incredible variety in their music.  Well, I had the fourth album, and it was cool.  "Stairway to Heaven" was great, of course, "The Battle of Evermore" admittedly had some balls to it, and of course the epic closer "When the Levee Breaks".  He just shook his head and handed me his copy of Physical Graffiti.  Told me to borrow it for a week or two, listen to it, really listen to it, and let him know.

Okay, I was convinced.  I was converted.  Led Zeppelin is fucking great, and I was ignorant to think otherwise, to think that a standard four-piece rock band (actually three-piece plus singer) could not achieve amazing heights.  I returned Physical Graffiti to Chris, confessed my sins, then we smoked some non-tobacco and listened to some Frank Zappa.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
As their manager, Peter Grant's relevance to the legacy of Led Zeppelin cannot be understated - and at 6'5" and tipping the scales at 300+ pounds, he had an intimidating aura to say the least.

That scene in TSRTS where he's ripping into Security is mesmerizing.

You have to admire his skill at funneling money to the musicians! I don't think any other manager ever has cut better deals for a band. If Pink Floyd would have had him for a manager they'd be richer than the Beatles.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. All will be revealed
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
I really hate the bad rap that Coda gets.   As a Led Zeppelin "album" it doesn't hold a candle to the others...but that's not really what it was ever meant to be.  If you think about it, the title itself is absolutely brilliant, because that's exactly what it is.  It's not a proper Led Zeppelin album at all, but more like a soliloquy, or an epitaph.   The title "Coda" really says it all. 

...and if they HADN'T released it, people would have done nothing but bitch about them not releasing the songs....so there's that too.   ::)

For what it is, I really like Coda, and I'm happy it exists.

I absolutely agree and don't understand all the dislike it gets. There are several great tunes on there and I immensely enjoy the CD.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I would hope the dislike comes from people thinking it's a "real" Led Zeppelin album, out of ignorance, and trying to evaluate it as such.  I'm sure some people didn't even know Bonzo was gone and that this was it, literally the Coda of their career.  They just listened to it, found it inconsistent and with a lot of seemlingly unfinished ideas, and thought it was crap.  They already had trouble with In Through the Out Door (which is understandable, though I personally think it's great), and this just convinced them that Led Zeppelin was done.  Little did they know.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll have much more to say on the topic when we get to the ITTOD and Coda discussion.  It is definitely aptly named.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Robert Plant

One of Plant's musical endeavors - Band of Joy - ended with him being fired because their manager thought he couldn't sing.  Plant formed his own version of Band of Joy (twice), with no lasting success.

See Chad, it's not just me  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Robert Plant

One of Plant's musical endeavors - Band of Joy - ended with him being fired because their manager thought he couldn't sing.  Plant formed his own version of Band of Joy (twice), with no lasting success.

I suppose I should've expected that response.  Hard to believe our tastes can be so similar, yet so different. 

Offline Lowdz

Robert Plant

I suppose I should've expected that response.  Hard to believe our tastes can be so similar, yet so different.

Chill matey - I'm fucing wit' ya.  :biggrin:
I did say in my 1st post that I do play up how much I hate them. They have several songs I don't mind out of the ones I've heard. A few mates used to rib me for liking KISS and I used to give them stick for liking Zep.
The live stuff though - jeez - get on with it ffs.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Truly odd that you'd dedicate so much time and effort bagging on the discography thread of a band you openly hate. :lol Like, if there were a discography thread for Nickleback or Blink 182, I wouldn't follow it. I'd kinda just ignore it rather than constantly reminding everyone how much they suck.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I did say in my 1st post that I do play up how much I hate them. They have several songs I don't mind out of the ones I've heard. A few mates used to rib me for liking KISS and I used to give them stick for liking Zep.

I'm cooler than a cucumber, ole chap.   ;)  But I am serious about how our tastes can be so similar and different.  Just like me and Kade when it comes to the growlies.

Truly odd that you'd dedicate so much time and effort bagging on the discography thread of a band you openly hate. :lol Like, if there were a discography thread for Nickleback or Blink 182, I wouldn't follow it. I'd kinda just ignore it rather than constantly reminding everyone how much they suck.

I don't think he said he hates them, just never 'got' them.  My believe is that here to see if there's something he's missed.  Everyone's tastes change, so maybe he just wasn't ready for the overwhelming awesomeness of Led Zeppelin in the past, but who knows... he might be now.  :lol 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I don't think he said he hates them, just never 'got' them.  My believe is that here to see if there's something he's missed.  Everyone's tastes change, so maybe he just wasn't ready for the overwhelming awesomeness of Led Zeppelin in the past, but who knows... he might be now.  :lol

Hopefully so :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'd kinda just ignore it rather than constantly reminding everyone how much they suck.

Wait till the Winger Discography Thread. I'm gonna insult it like there's no tomorrow! :biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd kinda just ignore it rather than constantly reminding everyone how much they suck.

Wait till the Winger Discography Thread. I'm gonna insult it like there's no tomorrow! :biggrin:

:lmao:

:TAC:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :metal

J Boy, are you waiting for this thread to get to 10 pages or something before we actually START discussing the Discography? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I'm cooler than a cucumber, ole chap.   ;)  But I am serious about how our tastes can be so similar and different.  Just like me and Kade when it comes to the growlies.

I'm here to be persuaded. I've heard the hits, and as I said, I own 2 albums and a best of (ok 2 of them were presents from a mate trying to "convert" me  :biggrin:).
I will be a hard nut to crack as I don't go for the 60s sound and I know that's there certainly in the  vocals on the first album... I had a sneak peek the other night.
I already had my favourites by the time I heard and Zep and maybe I wasn't ready for it to sound so "old" at the time.
Anyway, we'll see. I wouldn't be here just to bash the thread.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

J Boy, are you waiting for this thread to get to 10 pages or something before we actually START discussing the Discography? :lol

Nope... just 24 hours in between my posts prompting discussion.  Will post tonight or tomorrow morning, and we can really get this sucker underway.

Paul... if someone was trying to get you into Zeppelin by giving you Presence as a present, they didn't know what the hell they were doing.  Do me a favour (assuming you still know/see them)... bitch slap him for me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Lord how you hypnotize
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
I was a young man, I couldn't resist
Started thinkin' it over, just what I had missed.
Got me a girl and I kissed her and then and then...
Whoops, oh Lord, well I did it again.

Tracklist:
1   "Good Times Bad Times"     2:46
2   "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"     6:42
3   "You Shook Me"     6:28
4   "Dazed and Confused"     6:28
5   "Your Time Is Gonna Come"     4:34
6   "Black Mountain Side"     2:12
7   "Communication Breakdown"     2:30
8   "I Can't Quit You Baby"     4:42
9   "How Many More Times"     8:27

Recorded in somewhere between 30 and 36 hours over a 10 day period, and at a cost of under £1,800, Led Zeppelin I was completed in October of 1968, with Page producing, and built on the heels of their September European live shows as The New Yardbirds.  Peter Grant would take the album, skip the UK record labels, and head straight to the US, negotiating a deal that seemed ludicrous at first - an advance somewhere in the range of $150,000-$200,000 along with total artistic control.  COMPLETE artistic control - release dates, touring, contents and design of each album, and promotion of each release including which tracks to release as singles. All this for an unproven, unknown, and unsigned group.  It was at the time the biggest deal of its kind for a new band.  It was also the first rock band that Ahmet Ertegun would sign to the Atlantic Records label, and was for worldwide distribution.  Led Zeppelin I was released on January 12, 1969, two weeks into their first US tour (it wasn't until March that it was released in the UK).  Though the album would only hit as high as #10 on Billboard (an important success measurement in the 60s an 70s) 2 weeks after its release, it would stay on the 'Hot 100' for 73 weeks.

Several songs on the album had previously been performed live by the Yardbirds, and with Page's skill and experience in the studio, this album was more Page's than any other in the Zeppelin catalog.  Plant was so naive and inexperienced, it was the first time he'd ever donned a pair of headphones.  He would later say that he thought he'd be leaving the band anyway, so was rather nervous and tentative in the studio.  Imagine that... Led Zeppelin I is represented by a nervous Robert Plant. Plant would receive no songwriting credits, allegedly because he was still under contract to CBS Records at the time.

Despite their youth and naivety, Bonham and Plant proved themselves quickly.  Though Led Zeppelin I would ultimately make stars of the entire band, it's often felt that Bonham was the one that transformed the album, and was the one that was transformed the most by it.  Being the most unknown, he stood the most to gain from it, and gain he did.  Following a near confrontation between Page and Bonham, Page quickly learned how to harness Bonham's talent, and it was that talent that transformed blues and folk songs into (at the time) metal anthems.  "He was beyond the realms of anything I could have imagined" Page would remark on his memories of Bonham during the sessions.

Initial press reviews were mixed, low-lighted by Rolling Stone (surprise surprise).  They were particularly scathing towards Plant, calling him a "pretty soul belter who can do a good spade imitation", asserting it was nothing new that hadn't been done already.  And thus begun the hate-hate relationship between Zeppelin and Rolling Stone, and the media in general.

I like to think of this album as like the first season of Seinfeld... it has a lot of great moments, but there's also some mediocrity here.  Page needed to start somewhere, and this was it.  The best is still yet to come.

I'll post my song-by-song comments later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »
Yeah, a lot of mediocrity, but it's a start. Right? I never go to the first album. Never, but I do like How many More Times a lot and Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You might be a TAC Top 10 Zep tune.

Offline Lowdz

Nope... just 24 hours in between my posts prompting discussion.  Will post tonight or tomorrow morning, and we can really get this sucker underway.

Paul... if someone was trying to get you into Zeppelin by giving you Presence as a present, they didn't know what the hell they were doing.  Do me a favour (assuming you still know/see them)... bitch slap him for me.

I can't. He's now a she. I shit you not.
He was a huge fan of LZ and tried his best. Maybe he thought Presence was the way to go because he knew I loved DT's version of Achilles'. I had as much success persuading him of DT's brilliance too. He hated Portnoy's drumming, said it lacked rhythm.
Anyway, he's a she now. Dude don't look like a lady though...

Offline Anguyen92

As their manager, Peter Grant's relevance to the legacy of Led Zeppelin cannot be understated - and at 6'5" and tipping the scales at 300+ pounds, he had an intimidating aura to say the least.

You have to admire his skill at funneling money to the musicians! I don't think any other manager ever has cut better deals for a band. If Pink Floyd would have had him for a manager they'd be richer than the Beatles.  :)

Kinda late, but I read somewhere in a wiki page that Peter Grant used his imposing powers to ask the concert promoters to give the band 90% of the revenue of the shows they drew.  In today's age, that's kinda insane to fathom with so many variables that goes into touring.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
While I love the debut-and good god was the band on fire during the touring for this in 1969-I'm gonna have to be the dick and say I always have to approach this album, kind of amused at how much of it Jimmy Page took credit for when someone else actually wrote it. At one time or another, nearly half of this album has been part of a lawsuit because of the songwriting credits, the most notorious being Dazed and Confused, which Page flat out stole from Jake Holmes, though it took him 40 years to finally sue Page and end up with the wonky credit "Jimmy Page, Inspired By Jake Holmes." I have never really been sure just why Page would do this, nor is it my place to judge him, but I've seen a lot of Zep fans online develop the most curious blind spot for it.

To this day, the credits are a bit of a moving target-the 2014 release has the (likely) legally agreed to credit for Dazed and Confused, properly credits Anne Bredon for Babe I'm Gonna Leave You alongside Plant and Page, and then inexplicably drops the credit that had been on previous releases for The Hunter section of How Many More Times. The struggle continues.

I will say I am amused by Jeff Beck's anger that Zeppelin did You Shook Me at around the same time he did it on his debut solo album. Zep's is so much better-and a total monster live-that it pretty much rendered the Beck version to immediate irrelevance.  :lol

The credit issues aside, this is a pretty amazing debut album, and must have sounded unearthly in 1969 when it came out. And if you want to hear how unearthly the band sounded live, I suggest you dig up some of the 1969 boots-particularly any of their shows from Boston or San Francisco, where Page and Bonham are utter monsters and Plant wails like a banshee. Fantastic stuff.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Kinda late, but I read somewhere in a wiki page that Peter Grant used his imposing powers to ask the concert promoters to give the band 90% of the revenue of the shows they drew.  In today's age, that's kinda insane to fathom with so many variables that goes into touring.

You be right.  More on that to come.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I gave this one a spin yesterday.  Only a hint of the greatness to come, and overall I'm not a huge fan of the "heavy R&B" style which this basically is, but there's no denying how awesome it is.

I do like most of the songs, especially "How Many More Times", "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", and "Dazed and Confused", but I usually need a little more variety when I listen to an album straight through, so this one doesn't get much play from me.  Still, a killer debut album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »
I'm not buying that there is mediocrity on this.  Okay, I have never been a big fan of You Shook Me or I Can't Quit You Baby (not usually a fan of those slow bluesy burners), and I think Communication Breakdown is overrated, but nothing on here is bad or mediocre.  And the majority of it is fantastic, most notably How Many More Times, Dazed and Confused and Good Times Bad Times.  This is a top 4 or 5 LZ album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
This is a top 4 or 5 LZ album.

Out of what, 9 albums? doesn't that by definition make it middle of the pack? To me it comes in at #8.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
Sure, but a middle of the pack album by one of the best rock bands ever is still pretty damn great. 

To me, II and Houses of the Holy are 1a and 1b, and then I could easily argue for I, IV or PG as being 3rd.  So on a good day, I is top three for me. :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
More on the song-writing credits to come.  But here's the thing... they only became a target because of their success.  "Borrowing" in the blues and R&B genre was a pretty common thing - especially back in the 60s.  Everybody was inspired by someone else.  Only because Zeppelin had money did people sue.  As I said, I have more to say on this later (during Led Zeppelin II discussion), as that's when the issues really started to creep up.

This is a top 4 or 5 LZ album.

Out of what, 9 albums? doesn't that by definition make it middle of the pack?

Exactly... Personally, I'd put it at #6.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
I'm not buying that there is mediocrity on this. 
I agree, and I may place it higher than you do.

Nothing mediocre about this album.  It's one of the most titanic debuts in music history, IMHO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
Well, them's tastes for ya.  I agree it's a spectacle overall, but there are a couple of tracks I'd be just as likely to press 'skip' on.  They're not cringe (or Crunge) worthy, but still in meh territory.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »
The rockers on this debut are awesome but like others, I stayed away from the blues side of LZ.  Lower of the pack album like Tim said. 

That's not saying it's a bad album.  Far from it at all!  I just love so many other albums by them.

This is a very good 1st album for a band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Sure, but a middle of the pack album by one of the best rock bands ever is still pretty damn great. 

I hear ya.

To me, II and Houses of the Holy are 1a and 1b, and then I could easily argue for I, IV or PG as being 3rd.  So on a good day, I is top three for me. :biggrin:

Ooh Rankings!

Zeppelin isn't really a go to band for me at this point, but I did bust out Houses and IV a couple of weeks ago. I guess they'd be my #2 & #3. But for me Physical Graffiti is where it's at.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »
You guys would lose it over my ranking.  I'll do that after Coda.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
You guys would lose it over my ranking.  I'll do that after Coda.

Yeah, full rankings of songs and albums at the end!!