Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55949 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Ain't no pockets full of mercy
« Reply #525 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:09 AM »
I had already quoted myself from my own ''top 50 albums'' thread in the discussion about Permanent waves, but here's another opportunity to do so:

Some people don’t enjoy this record that much because the keyboards play quite a prominent role. However, I for one really like the style of the album, because it sounds like John Paul Jones was having so much fun laying down the keyboard parts. The odd sounds are all over the place, which makes it very interesting. However, it’s not like the album is a complete departure from the band’s classic style. The riffs are still there, as well as some of their early bluesy influences and Plant’s powerful singing, although his voice does sound like it aged a bit, but that gives the album another touch of originality.

Favorite songs: I’m gonna crawl, Carouselambra, All my love

I placed it at number 23 on my list of all time favorite albums, so that's saying something. It's only behind Houses of the holy. And speaking of Rush, is it possible that they were influenced at least a bit by In through the out door during their synth years?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #526 on: October 13, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »
Some really good songs, but not a very consistent album for me.  I don't mind the direction, but it didn't result in a high average quality for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #527 on: October 13, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
And speaking of Rush, is it possible that they were influenced at least a bit by In through the out door during their synth years?

Possible, but I doubt it. I don't hear anything from 80s Rush that reminds me of IITOD. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #528 on: October 13, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »
This probably represents the direction Zep would have taken for the next few albums had Bonzo not died. Then in about 1985 they'd have had a renaissance with some soft-rock power ballad getting to number one on the strength of a video with Plant miming in a hotel room wearing a pastel linen suit with the sleeves rolled up while a neon sign flashes through a venetian blind and Tawny Kitaen crawls across the bed on all fours in her underwear.

I don't know.  Page thought otherwise according to the wiki page of the album,  ::).

In a 1998 Guitar World magazine interview, Page was asked about the paradigm shift of the album's composition and style:

GW: I thought maybe you were losing your enthusiasm for the band.
Page: Never. Never. In fact, Bonzo [i.e. drummer John Bonham] and I had already started discussing plans for a hard-driving rock album after that. We both felt that In Through the Outdoor was a little soft. I was not really very keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, 'That is not us. That is not us.' In its place it was fine, but I would not have wanted to pursue that direction in the future.[12]

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #529 on: October 13, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
While I acknowledge that most of their albums are better, I like ITTOD more than most seem to. 

Fool in the Rain is still one of my favorite LZ songs ever.  It was the gateway song that jump-started my LZ fandom.

Carouselambra is an underrated tune.  Maybe the prog fan in me likes it because it is long, but I liked the song before I was deep into prog.

Hot Dog is kinda corny, but it's a lot of fun.  Cool bass line, too. 

In the Evening is a really good opener.

All My Love is a bit too pretty at times, but has some cool things going on.

I'm Gonna Crawl and South Bound Saurez are both solid, if not overly memorable.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #530 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
I am firmly in the ITTOD > Presence camp myself. An album that met the two extremes of those two albums in the middle-the guitar driven Presence and the keyboard driven ITTOD-would've been fantastic. In The Evening, Fool In The Rain, Carouselambra, All My Love, and I'm Gonna Crawl are pretty fantastic songs, and nothing is really BAD on the album. A definite underrated album by the band.

I have often wondered what was next for the band. Page always said he and Bonham wanted to make a heavier album, but I think Plant was growing tired of being the rock god-the directions he went in in the 1980s suggest that-and I have often thought that Led Zeppelin was on borrowed time already. Had Bonham not died, Page was very likely on his way, had Zep continued, to a heroin overdose, and I honestly saw the band breaking up in the early 1980s without another album coming out, at best putting out one more album and a "farewell" tour. Boots of the 1980 German tour definitely had a feel of the clock ticking down for the band. But I'll get to that in the tour post.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
Very solid album in my opinion. Light years better than Presence. In The Evening is an incredible opener. I will always have a soft spot for Fool In The Rain, such a fun song. All Of My Love is a great ballad (though I didn't learn until a few years ago it was the 70's equivalent of Tears In Heaven) and Carouselambra is a solid epic (even though it's my least favorite of the 10 minute plus juggernauts)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
Carouselambra is a solid epic (even though it's my least favorite of the 10 minute plus juggernauts)

Well, they only had 3 of them!  lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
With In the Evening, I hear in Plant a certain edge to his voice that wasn't there before - almost like he's coming back to the band and fans after his son's death on a mission of determination. This would be the song where Page contributed the most, with his trusty violin bow opening the track, and a memorable riff for the chorus. 

South Bound Saurez is the first of two songs in Zeppelin's catalog where Page had zero writing credits (the second being All of My Love).  Apparently, Page made a few minor mistakes in his guitar part, but opted to leave them in.  This song would probably be more at home on an Elton John album as opposed to a Zeppelin album.

Fool in the Rain started as pure steady Zeppelin, but under John Paul Jones the song went to Brazil for the bridge as the band mutated into a samba street band complete with whistles and shouts. The surreal time-skips and wounded imagery of the lyric set a mood of wistful melancholy that dominated the whole record when it came out  Paul Jones and Plant developed the idea for the samba beat from watching the 1978 FIFA World Cup tournament in Argentina. Lyrically, the song is about a man who's supposed to meet a woman on a certain street corner. When the woman does not appear, he is filled with sorrow at being stood up. By the final verse, he realizes that he has not gone to the right place, making him "just a fool waiting on the wrong block," as Plant sings.

Hot Dog is as much a wtf moment as Candy Store Rock.  Country-Zeppelin, but for my tastes, it's 10x more fun.  Plus, it's got the same melody from the Almond Joy commercials from the 80s (I'll just leave this in everyone's heads for a moment - nostalgia time for my fellow fogey's:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOJAxformw - holy jezuz, why do I remember this shit!)  It's done in the style of a country hoe-down, it features some Elvis Presley-like vocals from singer Robert Plant.  It's a good thing it's fun, because this is another totally out of place Zeppelin tune.

John Paul Jones at his finest with Carouselambra ladies and gentlemen.  Page doesn't come in until almost just after the 4 minute mark.  It always was my favorite from the album, but damned if I ever knew the lyrics for the longest time - thank god for the internet.  Plant's vocals, particularly in the first section of the song, are somewhat buried in the mix and the words are difficult to discern.  I remember the lyrics for this song was one of the first things I ever Altavista'd.  The combined keys and base lines in this are second to none in the discography.  The lyrics had the cadences of a funeral oration for a Norse chieftain.  Though it was never played live by the band at Led Zeppelin concerts. John Paul Jones once stated that his original idea for the song was for it to be used as a "centrepiece" of their live shows, using it as a medium between songs as they moved from one to the other.

Karac's death would later inspired Plant to write All My Love as a tribute.  For years, I wasn't aware of this, and this ballad (which used to be really overplayed on the radio) didn't really appeal to me.  Knowing it was in memory of the sudden and tragic death of his son changed that in an instant for me, and hearing it from a new perspective made it such a better song for me.  Plant stated that this song was one of Led Zeppelin's "finest moments", countered by Page's distaste for it.  The almost dueling play between Page and Jones works wonderfully, even though Page would receive no writing credit, his solo may have been a key element to the track's enduring success as one of the pure ballad's in the bands discography.

Until listening for this discussion, I'm Gonna Crawl always verged on the edge of being a song that I simply didn't like.  Ambivalent was about as nice a thing I can say about it.  It's not horrible, but slower paced songs back-to-back to close out their discography is a bit of let down.  In the last two weeks, it's improved substantially for me, but still close to the bottom of the heap if I had to rank all 80 of their songs.  Bonham noted this as one of Plant's best vocal performances, telling a tale of a woman he'd crawl on his knees for.

jingle.boy's rankings:
Carouselambra
In The Evening
Fool in the Rain
All of My Love
I'm Gonna Crawl
Hot Dog
South Bound Suarez

Online Anguyen92

Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. To chase a feather in the wind
« Reply #534 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
That keyboard solo by John Paul Jones really made "All My Love" a great song, for me.  Heck, anything he did in that song was just superb.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #535 on: October 16, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »

John Paul Jones at his finest with Carouselambra ladies and gentlemen.  Page doesn't come in until almost just after the 4 minute mark.  It always was my favorite from the album, but damned if I ever knew the lyrics for the longest time - thank god for the internet.  Plant's vocals, particularly in the first section of the song, are somewhat buried in the mix and the words are difficult to discern.  I remember the lyrics for this song was one of the first things I ever Altavista'd.  The combined keys and base lines in this are second to none in the discography.  The lyrics had the cadences of a funeral oration for a Norse chieftain.  Though it was never played live by the band at Led Zeppelin concerts. John Paul Jones once stated that his original idea for the song was for it to be used as a "centrepiece" of their live shows, using it as a medium between songs as they moved from one to the other.

Wait, what? There is plenty of guitar in the first four minutes, but it is just not up front and actually does a good job of bouncing around that repetitive keyboard line and added some great atmosphere. Just wanted to say that. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: October 16, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
^ True... Page doesn't take the lead melody until the 4 minute mark.  He provides a nice arpeggio duet during some of the opening 4 minutes, but that's about it - and it's mixed behind JPJ's keys and bass.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #537 on: October 16, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
It's no wonder Page doesn't draw attention during the first four minutes of Carouselambra, JPJ is going crazy throughout, especially at the end of the first section. What a great song! And yeah, I agree I'm gonna crawl features some of the best Plant's vocals. I'd even say it's my favorite blues Zeppelin song, and one of their very best overall.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #538 on: October 17, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
Been a bit behind recenty after oding a bit in the early part  :biggrin:
Presence is an album I own. A mate bought it for me trying to convert me to the chur h of Zep - he knew I loved DT's version of Achilles'. I don't know if I ever played it all the way though before today. It's ok. 2 greatg songs as others have said. A couple of ok Zep-style tracks, and I really liked the closing track. Not a bad album but nothing much to keep me coming back other than Achilles and NFBM.

TSRTS - a mate at school played this over and over trying to convert me back in my school days. He and it may have been responsible for putting me off the band for 30 years  :biggrin: Mind numbing tedium is my recollection of the album and it would need A Clockwork Orange style restraints to get me to watch the film. Haven't felt inclined to revisit the album as it might set me back from this new-found appreciation.

ITTOD. Hmm. I like the sound of the album, the keys are a welcome addition. The songs on the whole are fairly bland and I find the vocals just don't suit alot of these songs. A strange album but still has a couple of enjoyable songs (ITE, C, AML). The fact that it's written by JPJ explains alot, but Page's contributions actually elevate the songs an extra notch from where they would otherwise be for me. Don't think I'll be coming back to this one.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #539 on: October 17, 2014, 09:40:48 PM »
In Through The Out Door has got to be my favourite Led Zeppelin album.

I actually kind of have a story for Fool In The Rain. When I was 16.. my girlfriend at the time and I were living in separate cities... 2 cities away from each other. We were in a Romeo and Juliet type situation... and were seeing each other in secret. Luckily... My best friend lived a few blocks away from her. Very convenient. Well... My stepfather also worked in that town... from 6am - 10pm.

Well one summer morning I rode with him to work, with plans to meet up with her later that morning. We were supposed to meet at a corner a few blocks from her. It was lightly raining. She never showed up (nor did she answer her phone / texts...) I spent several hours standing there... in the rain.. listening to ITTOD  (Fool In The Rain more specifically) over and over on my little MP3 player. I stood there until my buddy's dad drove by, noticed me, and insisted I go to their house.  Which I did, and I stayed there waiting for a call / text. It never came. I learned a few days later that her RAZR got wet and she was phoneless. Damn.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: October 18, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
:rollin :rollin + :ironic:

In May of 1979 it was announced that Led Zeppelin would re-form to play two massive outdoor shows in the natural amphitheater at Knebworth Park.  In preparation, late in July, they played two nights of live rehearsals at the Falkonerteatret in Copenhagen, using the Danish audience as litmus test for its English comeback  The first Knebworth show was on August 4 - it was their first English show since 1975, and the band was terrified, with Plant claiming later his voice was all "clammed up with nerves".  In Through the Out Door was supposed to have been released prior to the shows, but the usual delays prevented this.  The concerts received decidedly mixed reviews.  The band would even admit to being a bit rusty.  The two concerts were professionally recorded; part of the footage would be remastered, and appear as part of the 2003 DVD package.

In April 1980 Led Zeppelin began to rehearse again for a short tour of Europe. The plan was to play fourteen concerts during June in Germany, Holland, Belgium, and Switzerland. It would be their first European series since 1973.  During this time, Richard Cole fell out of favour with Peter Grant.  Grant decided that Cole was too wasted to do his job.  He later ended up getting arrested in Italy and jailed for 6 months in Italy.

The first date of the first tour since the death of Plant's son was in Germany, on June 17, 1980. The whole tour was scaled way down, with no video screen or much in the way of visual effects. Page appeared painfully thin and frail in a floppy suit and skinny punk tie, and played with a new, spartan economy. JPJ had short, swept-back hair and was clearly the music director of the band, playing electric clavinet and organ in addition to grand piano and his bass. Bonzo was at his heaviest, fully bearded, and played in top form when he was feeling well. Plant was subdued when compared to the raving swordsman of a now bygone era, but he still danced and moved with his own peculiar graceful gestures.

The shows were highly erratic as the tour moved on through Europe. On some nights, Jimmy looked "weary, unshaven, unsteady and sweaty,". On other nights he jumped in the air, used extravagant wizard moves to finish songs, and actually spoke to the audience.  Offstage, the scene was as subdued as some of the shows. Without Richard Cole to goad Led Zeppelin or the rest of the crew, there were few of the usual outrages. Though during one show, Bonham fell off his drum chair and collapsed after the third song of the night.

The (final) tour ended in Berlin on July 7, 1980, after Jimmy cancelled a series of concerts in France - the third consecutive tour that was ended early. A little more than two months later, they reconvened to rehearse for the upcoming American tour.  Hopes for the group's complete revival were very high. By then Bonzo had stopped using heroin, but he had been drinking heavily and was taking a drug called Motival, which reduced anxiety and kept his spirits up. A friend later said that Bonzo had seemed very wound up and anxious about going back to America because the last tour there had been such a disaster and lawsuits were still hanging over him in California.

On September 24, 1980. Bonham was on his way to rehearsals in the early morning, and had the band assistant stop for breakfast - downing four quadruple vodka's and a ham role.  After continuing to drink heavily during rehearsals, for the first time in his career he was too drunk to play. Rehearsals ended early, and Bonzo continued his binge at a band party at Page's house. He downed two or three large double vodkas an hour before midnight, when he passed out on a sofa.  Having been dragged upstairs to bed, when he was late for rehearsals the next morning, he was found dead in his bedroom; having drunk forty measures of vodka during a twelve-hour period, and then choked on his own vomit while asleep, his death was ruled an accidental suicide.

On December 4th, the band released the following:

We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were -- Led Zeppelin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
What a sad ending to a once-amazing band.

Some of the shows on the American tour were already booked, and I had friends with tickets to see them in Detroit.  They were stoked, finally getting to see the great Led Zeppelin.  Needless to say, it was a huge blow to find out that Bonham was gone, the band was gone, and of course the show would never happen.  Like, damn.

Offline jammindude

I heard that they had rehearsed Carouselambra for the tour that never happened?  Is that true?  Are there bootlegs of those rehearsals?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Considering they were planning on the song being the centrepiece of the show, surely they rehearsed it.  Never heard a recording of it though.

Online Anguyen92

:(

My thoughts exactly. 

That period hasn't been kind to them and it looked like they were starting to get, sadly, out-dated and fast.  One could only wonder how things would have gone if Bonham didn't literally drink himself to death.

Offline Mladen

What a sad ending to a once-amazing band.
Yep. Such a sad, sad ending...  :'(

But then, thirty something years later, Celebration day happened.  :metal

Offline Jaq

I tend to think of the Knebworth shows as being the end, because the 1980 German tour was just awful compared to what they did as a live band throughout their history. There were occasional moments even up to the end-there's a fantastic version of Whole Lotta Love from the very last show, for example-where the band was still brilliant, but there were also canceled shows and Page was awful most nights and you kind of get the sense that had Bonham lived, the upcoming US tour could very well have been it.

One of the joys of Celebration Day-even allowing that Jason Bonham is playing drums, so it isn't the full line up-is that Zeppelin finally got a last show that was worthy of their reputation. The last date in Berlin of the German tour in 1980 and all the reunions before 2007 simply didn't manage that.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
There were occasional moments even up to the end-there's a fantastic version of Whole Lotta Love from the very last show, for example-where the band was still brilliant, but there were also canceled shows and Page was awful most nights and you kind of get the sense that had Bonham lived, the upcoming US tour could very well have been it.

That was the last song of the set iirc, so the very last song the original lineup ever played.

One of the joys of Celebration Day-even allowing that Jason Bonham is playing drums, so it isn't the full line up-is that Zeppelin finally got a last show that was worthy of their reputation. The last date in Berlin of the German tour in 1980 and all the reunions before 2007 simply didn't manage that.

Agreed.  Live Aid and the 40th Atlantic were barely even mediocre.  Were there any other reunions with all three?

Online Anguyen92

Did they do something regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Offline Jaq

Did they do something regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Yes, along with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, with Jason Bonham on drums, and a few other guests, for their induction in 1995. Mostly covers, with a kind of jam on When the Levee Breaks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw this on FB.  Paul McCartney digs out the Wings track "Beware My Love" with Bonzo on Drums  :tup

https://twitter.com/PaulMcCartney/status/524269016907804672

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry for the lag here folks.  Flying home today, and will get Coda up on the weekend. The rest of this will flow pretty quick, as there won't be three posts per album anymore - just straight to the album/song discussion. Still to come:

Breakup/Coda
80s reunions
Box Sets
UnLedded
BBC Sessions
How The West Was Won + DVD
Celebration Day

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Coda (1982)

Try to hold it steady
Wait until you're ready
Any second now will do
Throw the door wide open

Released in November of 1982 (shortly after Plant's debut solo album), the reasoning for the Coda's release related to the popularity of unofficial Led Zeppelin recordings which continued to be circulated by fans.  Page claimed "Coda was released, basically, because there was so much bootleg stuff out. We thought, "Well, if there's that much interest, then we may as well put the rest of our studio stuff out".  However, reality is that the band owed Atlantic Records one more album from the five-album deal that created Swan Song Records in 1974. As such, rather than trying to recruit a drummer to make a record, this album of outtakes can be seen as a contractual fulfillment.

According to the album notes, We're Gonna Groove recorded at Morgan Studios in June 1969. It was later acknowledged to have come from a January 1970 concert at the Royal Albert Hall, with the guitar parts overdubbed and the original guitar part removed—this can be heard in the original Royal Albert Hall show on 9 January 1970. This song was used to open a number of concerts on their 1969 tours and was originally intended to be recorded for inclusion in Led Zeppelin II.

Poor Tom comes from the Zeppelin III sessions, and I'd gladly have taken this over Hats Off to (Roy) Harper.  Funky little tune.

I Can't Quit You Baby was taken from the same concert as "We're Gonna Groove" but was listed as a rehearsal in the original liner notes. The recording was edited to remove the overall "live" feel: the crowd noise as well as the beginning and ending of the song were deleted. Crowd tracks were muted on the multitrack mixdown on this recording as with "We're Gonna Groove".

Officially credited to the Houses of the Holy sessions, some have suggested that Plant's vocals on Walter's Walk may have been recorded at Jimmy Page's Sol Studios in 1982. It is quite likely that the song existed only as a basic backing track until Coda was assembled.  You can hear similarities in the guitar riff with Royal Orleans.

Recorded at Polar Studios in Stockholm during the sessions for the band's final studio album In Through the Out Door, it was decided to leave Ozone Baby off the resultant album.

Darlene is a little upbeat number, and the only song from the In Through the Out Door sessions which was credited to all four members of the band.

Bonzo's Montreaux was recorded in September 1976 at Mountain Studios in Montreux, Switzerland. Jimmy Page added electronic effects afterwards

Wearing and Tearing shows the direction the band would've been on had it not all come to a crashing halt.  This is the one and only gem on this album, and is one of the band's hardest rockers - intended as a statement that Led Zeppelin could compete against the popular punk bands of the time. The band had hoped to release the song as a special commemorative single in time for their performance at the 1979 Knebworth Festival, but this plan was abandoned because of time constraints.  This provides a tantalizing thought of "what if"

Baby Come on Home
Not released on the original 1982 album, bud added on the 1993 CD release, it was recorded during sessions for the band's debut album.  The track stems from an old master reel labeled 'Yardbirds. October 10, 1968'  The master tape went missing for a number of years and allegedly turned up in a refuse bin outside Olympic Studios in 1991. It was mixed for a much belated release in 1993, with a single to promote the Boxed Set 2.

jingle.boy's ranking
Wearing and Tearing
Darlene
Poor Tom
Baby Come on Home
We're Gonna Groove
Walter's Walk
Ozone Baby
Bonzo's Montreaux

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. No time for hesitatin'
« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »
For the 31 people who claimed they own Coda, nothing to say?  No one else listen to it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #555 on: October 28, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Wearing And Tearing is EASILY one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
I haven't listened to Coda in a while.  I was planning to re-listen to it after I re-listened to Power Windows by Rush.  I'm about halfway through that.  Trying to keep up on two discographies at the same time is tough when you don't have a lot of listening time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
Same.  It's just been too long since I've spun the disc...and I've sadly been too busy to even listen to music lately.   I need a vacation...

I remember that I LOVE Wearing and Tearing, and Poor Tom.   Darlene was the single on the radio...it's OK.   I kinda like that my version from "The Complete Studio Recordings" also contains Baby Come On Home, Travelling Riverside Blues, White Summer/Black Mountain Side and Hey Hey What Can I Do.    The bonus tracks actually really make the album listening experience more enjoyable.   I should give it a spin.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »
For the 31 people who claimed they own Coda, nothing to say?  No one else listen to it?
I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I likely will do so today.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »
I kinda like that my version from "The Complete Studio Recordings" also contains Baby Come On Home, Travelling Riverside Blues, White Summer/Black Mountain Side and Hey Hey What Can I Do.    The bonus tracks actually really make the album listening experience more enjoyable.   I should give it a spin.

Those tracks would make it a much better experience.  Fortunately, the latter three are all on 1990's Boxed Set