Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55941 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Let the music be your master
« Reply #420 on: September 07, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »
I don't know if this is controversial or what (never really known any big Zepp fans), but this album on the whole has never done much for me. Don't get me wrong, it has some great tracks - Ten Years Gone is a top-tier Zeppelin track for me, Kashmir is an undisputed classic, In My Time of Dying is pretty good, as are a few other tracks. But I find that this album has only a few gems among the rough, and songs that otherwise could have been good are repetitious and bloated. As much as I like the aforementioned Kashmir, I think it drags quite a bit, and I'd say the exact same of In My Time of Dying. Even some of the shorter tracks overystay their welcome, such as Trampled Underfoot, which as much as I like what is going on is just too repetitous and feels too long - enough so that I struggle to listen to it in its entirety, and it's only five and a half minutes in length. Then I take into consideration that the other half of the songs on this double album do absolutely nothing for me (including the entire 4th side), and I just can't hold this album up to any of the albums that came before. Especially Houses of the Holy, which as I mentioned previously, I consider to be their most consistent effort.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions, though I never thought I'd hear that HOTH is their most 'consistent' effort.  I would've agreed with you on PG when I first started listening to it, but the highs are absolutely out of this world (Kashmir, In My Time, 10 Years, Night Flight, In the Light).  In re-listening to this now, I'm finding more appreciation with the tracks I used to consider mediocre (Sick Again, Bron Yr Aur, Black Country Woman, Down By the Seaside).  PG just missed being in my Top 50 album list, and I'm pretty sure I'd put it there now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:05 AM »
My second favorite album from Zep.  So many songs that catch you right away.  I can't tell you how many times my cousin and I hung out jamming to this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
PG is not my favourite Zep album... but it is still a great album. In The Light has to be one of my top 5 Zeppelin songs though.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: September 07, 2014, 08:25:36 AM »
Physical Graffiti,. To me, this is the Holy Grail for Zeppelin.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: September 07, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
PG is my favorite Zep album and I would say "the rover" is my personal favorite song from the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
The Wanton Song is freaking badass! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #427 on: September 07, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
I'll be honest.  I liked Custard Pie, just for how Plant sang it, and for all of that kooky innuendo stuff.  That funky organ-like (?) sound from JPJ was also awesome.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #428 on: September 07, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
This is the album that converted me from casual fan to serious fan.  The amazing variety, the production, the songwriting, even the packaging, are all top-notch.  Someone told me years later that this album is all out-takes from previous albums, and we now know that that isn't true, but I suppose that it does explain the range of both styles and, well, quality.  There are some weak tracks, and some which don't thrill me the way they used to.  Millions of teenagers in the 70's would get stoned and listen to "Kashmir" and just think it the most incredible song ever.  Today I can barely stand it, and find that it overstays its welcome.  But back then, the "feel" was so important.

Anyway, with so many highs, it's easy enough for me to forgive the lows, and overall I consider this a great album.

Also, if you haven't experienced the original LP package, you haven't fully experienced the album.  It's awesome.  (Yes, that's a brag.)

Online Mladen

« Reply #429 on: September 07, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
This is one of those double albums that you can't help but think they would have been better trimmed down. As much as it is cliche to say it, this could be my 2nd favorite Zeppelin release if it were a single album. Some of the songs are very likely top 10 Zeppelin material, such as Kashmir, In my time of dying, Trampled underfoot and Sick again. But then there are songs like Night flight, Boogie with Stu and Black country woman that are so very, very uninteresting. They're some of the few Zeppelin songs I would call... well, bad. And then, there's some decent to solid material as well, including one fan favorite that I never grew to truly adore - Ten years gone. It's a good album overall, but still such an unbelievable mixed bag. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 07, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
The Wanton Song is freaking badass! :metal

One of their very best :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #431 on: September 07, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
Missed commenting on the last album -  I really didn't rate Houses of The Holy at all. The opening track was ok until the vocals started. A very poor follow up to 4 on the whole.

Physical Graffitti though... really enjoying this one. Might even be more enjoyable than 4. Colour me impressed. I may even buy this one when the remaster comes along.

Oh and just one thing. Is Trampled Underfoot meant to be Stevie Wonder's Superstition?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 07, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
I knew PG would be the album closest to being right up your alley Paul.  HotH... too whacky.  Stick with the 'big 3' rockin tunes there (Song Remains the Same, Over the Hills, and The Ocean) and you've got all you need.

I think PG will benefit tremendously from a remaster.  As good as the production is, Plant sounds a tad thin on some tracks, as do the multiple guitar layers.  I sometimes think it needs an extra ooomp to be a really rich album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #433 on: September 07, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
This album is amazing, but it isn't my favorite from LZ.  But it is certainly a worthy choice. Truly epic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #434 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »
Oh and just one thing. Is Trampled Underfoot meant to be Stevie Wonder's Superstition?

Yes - it's influenced by both Superstition and Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues.

My favourite Zep album. The best, and heaviest thing they ever did. This is a huge, concrete slab of a record. It takes some listening to get into - it almost overpowers the senses on first listen.

I almost can't believe how good this is, from Custard Pie and it's innuendo, the blistering The Rover, surely the most under-rated song in the LZ catalogue, the blues-rock of In My Time of Dying, the sublime wonder of In The Light, the fun bootleg feel of Boogie with Stu, and the closing twist of Sick Again, this is a thing of wonder.

And then there is that song - the one that elevates it further. Kashmir - totally unlike anything else.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
This is easily my favorite Zep album. The variety of tunes, all excellent, make it a very enjoyable, complete listen. I always liked that they truly laid claim to being a heavy rock act with The Rover, Trampled Under Foot, The Wanton Song, and Sick Again: Yet the band made plenty of room for JPJ to really make an impact on keyboards during the softer numbers. The double album format allowed them space for well crafted, memorable, folk and blues tunes with the famous Zep twist.

This, forever will be the go to Zep album for me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:50:10 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
Never, ever understood the love for PG.  Its so chock full of filler IMO. 

Ten Years Gone

In My Time of Dying--
                                -- Both of which have superior live versions.
Trampled Underfoot--

Kashmir

Night Flight

The rest.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #437 on: September 10, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
Kashmir, In My Time, In The Light, Ten Years Gone are godly. Houses of the Holy and Trampled are a whole lot of fun. I need to listen to the rest of the songs to give a full rundown. Oh, and Kashmir is my favorite Zep tune bar none 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #438 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

I wouldn't call anything filler, but I will say that while this album has some great songs, it does have quite a few songs I would merely classify as good.  It could have been a great single disc, IMO, instead of being a very good double disc. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

I wouldn't call anything filler, but I will say that while this album has some great songs, it does have quite a few songs I would merely classify as good.  It could have been a great single disc, IMO, instead of being a very good double disc.

^ This I would agree with, but still love it as we would've never gotten half these songs otherwise on their own. Some stellar highs on this album, but no real lows ... Just average - by Zeppelin standards.  Which is still above average by most standards.

Hope to get my song-by-song thoughts up Friday, Saturday at the latest.  Traveling on business this week, and I caught up to all my "pre-work" writeuos, so I'm doing this live and in the fly now.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2014, 06:40:14 AM »
Side 1A and 1B:

Custard Pie is the way you start a rock album.  The second best guitar riff off of Page's fingers, followed by a beautiful run by Jones, then perfect entrances by Plant and Bonham.  IMO, this is Zeppelin's best pure rock song.  Lyrically, it's all over the place, but like The Lemon Song, the sexual innuendo is hard to miss.  Sadly, this song was never performed in full at a Zeppelin concert.

The opening elements from the medley that most DTF fans will know, The Rover was originally meant to be an acoustic piece, having been written at Bron-Yr-Aur during the Zeppelin II sessions, then recorded at Stargroves during the Houses of the Holy sessions in 1972.  By the time mixing came, several overdubs and tweaks made it the rhythm heavy rock song that it is.  This too was never performed live in it's entirety, only occasionally used as the opener to Sick Again.

Epic #1.  And Epic it is.  Closing side A of the first record, In My Time of Dying is the longest song of any studio album in the catalog.  Probably most recognizable for the slide effects that Page uses to dominate the feel of the song.  Jones used a fretless bass, and when you listen specifically to him, you can hear him dancing all over the place, constantly shifting gears.  Just before the 4 minute mark, the song takes an abrupt turn, and turns into a brilliant jam. Commenting years after its release, Page would say "... it just takes off and we're just doing what Led Zeppelin do. We're jamming. We're having a ball. We. Are. Playing."  Bonham's performance is particularly brilliant.  Because of its improvisational nature the band never had a rehearsed ending for the song.

Houses of the Holy was quite obviously recorded and intended as the title track to the previous release, but didn't make the final cut.  Another riff heavy tune, it's understandable why the band felt it didn't fit on Houses, and was better suited here.  Lyrically, the song is an ode to Led Zeppelin concerts, with the "Houses of the Holy" referring to the arenas and auditoriums in which the band performed.  The "are you dizzy when you're stoned' lyric was a bit of a calling of my teenage years. Yet another PG track never performed live, though it does have the distinction of being the only Zeppelin song to use a cowbell.

I never really thought about it, but as Lowdz pointed out, there's a distinct Stevie Wonder/Superstitious feel going on with Trampled Under Foot - though the lyrics were largely inspired by blues musician Robert Johnson's 1936 Terraplane Blues.  The song evolved out of a jam session in 1972, and much effort went into perfecting the relentless semi-funk riff that dominates the feel. There were several pressings made as a single in 1975 in time for the band's Earl's Court concerts, but they were all shelved before being released, and are today highly sought-after collectors items.

Written over a period of three years with lyrics dating back to 1973, Kashmir is in my opinion is Plant's lyrical crowning achievement.  There isn't a single wasted stanza or word here.  Everything flows absolutely perfectly - and all four members have agreed that it is one of their best musical achievements, showcasing all of the elements that make up the Led Zeppelin sound. Plant would say that it "possessed all the latent energy and power that wasn't heavy metal. It was the pride of Led Zeppelin."

Page's passion for diverse musical experiences influenced Plant to explore Africa, specifically Marrakesh in Morocco where he encountered Umm Kulthum.  Plant would comment that  “I was intrigued by the scales, initially, and obviously the vocal work. The way she sang, the way she could hold a note, you could feel the tension, you could tell that everybody, the whole orchestra, would hold a note until she wanted to change.”  That musical inspiration eventually culminated in "Kashmir". Both he and Page revisited these influences during their reunion album No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded in 1994.

The lyrics were written by Plant immediately after their 1973 US Tour, in an area he called "the waste lands" of Southern Morocco, while driving across the Sahara Desert. "Kashmir is my last resort ... it should be a haven, my Shangri-La" Plant would recount in interviews.  There was a certain irony that the song was named after the plush, wet, mountainous region of the Himalayas. The irony was somewhat poetic in fact, as Plant felt that the song musically was not grandiose, but powerful... requiring "some kind of epithet, or abstract lyrical setting about the whole idea of life being an adventure and being a series of illuminated moments. But everything is not what you see."

Online Mladen

Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Sounds caress my ear
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »
The first LP consists only of truly amazing songs. I really like all of these. Maybe they should have just added Sick again and maybe another track from the second LP and released it that way.  ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »
Re: the Trampled Underfoot/Superstition etc comparisons, it always reminded me of Long Train Running when I was a kid, I guess its the 'talkin' bout love' refrain.  I always used to get it mixed up.  Funnily enough, my brother and always cheekily start playing the Trampled riff on guitar/bass at the end of Long Train Running in our covers band, which is a cool little nugget that noone has ever picked up on. :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #443 on: September 13, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »
Continuing the hijack just a little bit:  I've always liked the song "Long Train Running", since I've always liked trains, ever since I was a little kid.  Going down to the yard, half a mile from here, to watch the trains sounds pretty cool to me.  Without love, where would you be now?  What in the heck does that have to do with trains?  The pistons keep on turnin', the wheels go round and round.  Without love, where would you be now?  What?

In "Trampled Underfoot" he's talking about this sweet ride, all the features, the suped-up engine, the suspension, but he's "talkin' bout love".  He can't stop talkin' about love.  Now, the suspension, the lines and curves... metaphors between women and cars have been made for years.  But train-watching down at the yard?  I never got that one.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
Maybe that was the calibre of groupies the bands were pulling.  Zep = Sweet rides, Doobies = big ol trains.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:54 AM »
Physical Graffitti is a mixed bag for me. It has some really great tracks but there's also some stuff that waters it down a fair bit. From Custard Pie to In The Light it is sheer brilliance, the rest is sometimes nice, sometimes just okay. The problem for me is, that as a whole the album doesn't flow well and drags on side three and four. The qualitiy and the sound is incoherent. I know that they had problems with too many songs to put on a conventional album and instead of puttting songs on the shelf, as was done previously, they decided to go for a double album and pull out some leftovers from previous sessions.
But in my opinion Physical Graffitti would be much better as a single album. There is a reason why songs are leftovers. Not meaning that they are necessarily bad, but if they are the best thing you've ever written, you wouldn't put them in the closet.

If CDs were already invented at that time they should have put the seven songs from Custard Pie to In The Light on the disc and maybe put the rest on a bonus disc. Putting it on a double album means that every song is supposed to be there and is equal to all the others. Putting it on a bonus disc would mean that you get the songs, but you also get the message that they are not necessarily on par with everything else. But anyway, that's just me. It's still a great record.

Favorite songs:
Trampled Underfoot, which, beside its funky feeling, for me is one of the heaviest songs LZ have done
Kashmir, dat riff, so simple and yet so effective
In The Light, another song where JPJ really shines on the keyboards.

Custard Pie, The Rover, In My Time Of Dying, Houses Of The Holy are all great songs too.

Bron-y-Aur and Down By The Seaside are nice though the latter gets a little cheesy sometimes.
Boogie With Stu is an okay jam and the rest of the songs don't really get me, never understood the appeal for The Wanton Song.

Fun fact: The song Mickey's Monkey on the live album by Mother's Finest sounds very reminiscent to Custard Pie with different lyrics, but is not credited to Page or Plant. I think there's some kind of irony in there  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2014, 02:27:22 AM »
If CDs were already invented at that time they should have put the seven songs from Custard Pie to In The Light on the disc

But then you wouldn't have Ten Years Gone on it.

I agree the first disc is stronger than the second, but the second is still pretty sweet. Down By the Seaside is the only thing on it I'd consider filler. I do tend to listen to the second disc first, and save the first disc for last, the album does flow better that way.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
I love "Down by the Seaside".

That's the beauty of a double album like this.  So many songs.  Some people love 'em all, but some have favorites and others they just tolerate and they're never the same ones.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
I love "Down by the Seaside".

So do I.

Offline masterthes

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:21 PM »
Album 2:

The opening of In The Light is one of the most unique, having been developed by Page's use of a violin bow on an acoustic guitar.  Jones' synthesizer use dominates the rest of the song, with some absolutely beautiful guitar wails and licks accompanying the outro.

Bron-Yr-Aur is another lost piece from the Zeppelin III sessions, there isn't much to say here.  A great little acoustic piece that provides a nice interlude between the 'real' songs of the album

Influenced by Neil Young, Down by the Seaside is a tale of two songs, alternating between soft sections (that were part of the original recording during the Zeppelin III sessions), and a harder electric-guitar led section (that was recorded during the Zeppelin IV sessions).  The former having a number of production techniques to give it an ambient, or under-water sound/feel. 

Ten Years Gone was originally intended to be an instrumental piece, Plant later added lyrics, which are dedicated to an old girlfriend who, ten years earlier, had made him choose either her or his music.Plant gives a very emotional delivery.

Night Flight is just an absolutely beautiful vocal performance delivered by Plant here.  I never really thought about it, but when you listen, you notice there's no guitar solo! One of the few in their catalog not featuring one.  This was first slated for Zeppelin IV, but failed to make the cut.  Yet another PG track never performed live.

The Wanton Song features some more stellar riffage from the duo of Page and Jones, a pounding and great crashes from Bonham, toped off with Plant  Another meat-and-potatoes rock song.  Nothing fancy, nothing flashy, just a fantabulous rock song.

Boogie With Stu was the result of a 1971 jam session during the Zeppelin IV Sessions, where Ian Stewart ("Stu") showed up and played piano with them.  It's rumoured that Plant played guitar, while Page played the Mandolin.  Bonham's drum part was later improvised in the Studio

Black Country Woman is from the Houses of the Holy writing sessions, recorded in the garden of Jagger's home, Stargroves.  Not much going on... just a bluesy tune, whose original title was Never Ending Doubting Woman Blues.

Sick Again is all about how Plant felt sorry for the hoards of groupies that would flock to the band.  The very last sound of the very last song on Physical Graffiti is that of Page's backward echo-processed slide guitar, a sound technique he used quite often throughout the bands catalog.

jingle.boy's rankings:
In My Time of Dying
Kashmir
Ten Years Gone
Custard Pie
Houses of the Holy
Night Flight
The Wanton Song
In the Light
Trampled Under Foot
The Rover
Down By The Seaside
Bron-Yr-Aur
Black Country Woman
Sick Again
Boogie With Stu

I'm really surprised by those that have slagged this album as being weak, or filled with filler.  Are some songs stronger than the others, sure.  But other than maybe the last two in my rankings, I really wouldn't call any song 'filler'.  These are all good tunes, and of course the top 4 are God-tier in my books.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Ten Years Gone was originally intended to be an instrumental piece, Plant later added lyrics, which are dedicated to an old girlfriend who, ten years earlier, had made him choose either her or his music.Plant gives a very emotional delivery.

Wow.  Imagine what would have happened if he had picked the ex-girlfriend.  So many lore wouldn't have existed.

Online Mladen

See, that's strange. Sick again is easily my favorite on the second record, a tremendous song.  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
oooohhh... post 14,000 saves this from page 2.

As mentioned, during the recording of Physical Graffiti, the band launched Swan Song Records.  Before heading to the US to launch the label, Danny Goldberg (who'd been hired as VP of the record company) was ordered to prepare fake itineraries, duping the band's wives into thinking that they were launching the Swan Song label with launch parties in Denver and Atlanta - when in fact the launch was taking place on their hedonistic home turf, LA.  Around the time of the launch, the band finally got the opportunity to meet one of their chief musical idols, The King himself, Elvis Presley. Plant got the chance to sing a little with Elvis, though Elvis admitted he didn't know much of their music, save Stairway to Heaven.  Perhaps the highlight for the band members was Elvis asking for their autographs for Lisa Marie.

Touring in support of Physical Graffiti  took place nearly 18 months after the conclusion of their previous concert tour, which was the longest break between concerts yet taken by the band.  During performances of 'In My Time' on this tour, Plant sarcastically dedicated the song to the British Labour Party's Chancellor of the Exchequer, Denis Healey, for the tax exile issues the band (and frankly almost all British bands) was facing.  They had spent much of 1974 and 1975 in either the US or France to avoid having to pay as much as 95% in taxation of their royalties, forgoing their families for the sake of not just their own finances, but everyone associated with the band. Because of this, as they were rehearsing for the tour, Page commented that "1974 didn't really happen; 1975 will be a better year".  Little did he know.

Arguably, this tour was the beginning of the bad karma that would surround the band for the rest of the decade.  Page suffered a broken ring finger after slamming its tip in a train door prior to leaving England for this tour, forcing him to take pain killers and to develop a three finger playing technique during the first portion of the tour.  Plant contracted a bad case of influenza early in the tour, stepping off the plane in Chicago's wintry climate with nothing more than a thin leather jacket.  This caused the cancellation of one show and negatively affecting his singing ability for much of the rest of the tour, leading to some unfavourable reviews. Page was starting to develop phobias such as vertigo and claustrophobia.  Bonham was having repeated intestinal issues, forcing Grant to hire a doctor to travel on tour with them - Bonham often traveled to gigs in a red camper equipped with a toilet.  Page had actually ordered the lighting company on tour to not put a spotlight on either Jones or Bonham, causing the beginning rifts within the band.  Heroin had infiltrated the band, specifically Page.  While in LA, the band didn't even stay together at the 'Riot House' - Jones off on his own as usual, and Plant staying in Malibu Canyon.  Page would spend days in his suite with the shades drawn.  Bonham's drinking was so out of control by now, the rest of the band and crew would often actively avoid telling him their plans.

However, toward the end of the tour it was noted that the group seemed to be recovering, leading to some memorable performances (*awaits Jaq input*).  Their shows weren't entirely without incident - fans at the Boston Garden, who waited in the freezing cold for the tickets, were taken pity on by the stadium owners and were let in inside but rioted and trashed the stadium.  The Mayor then canceled the show.  Aside from such minor acts of random rebellion, all 700,000 tickets sold out in one day.

The band hired The Starship again but it would be the final time the band used this plane.  The second leg of the band's US Tour concluded in March, and was followed by a series of shows at London's Earl's Court in May 1975 - initially only 3 nights, then expanded to 5 when the £1 and £1.25 priced tickets sold out instantaneously - making the total attendance 85,000.  No other band had attracted such an audience in Britain before. The lighting production alone used an equivalent amount of power that could light the entire city. Over five nights of May '75, Zeppelin delivered perhaps the most impressive series of shows of their entire career - much of which is captured for the 2003 DVD release.

The band had planned to continue touring after a break, with a further round of US shows in August and September, starting with two sold out dates at Oakland Coliseum and including a show to occur at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.  A European Tour was also scheduled in the fall.

However, after the Earls Court shows, Page and Plant took their families to vacation in Morocco while the rest of the band setup their exile base in Montreux.  Plant would take a quick detour and tour the Greek Island of Rhodes.  The band would never be the same again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It's sad to read about a great band like this self-destructing.  Makes you wonder whether it due to the huge success coming on too quickly for them to adjust, something that was bound to happen anyway because of egos and pressures from outside and inside the group, or just the normal life-cycle of a band.  Back in the 70's, rock and roll as we know it today still hadn't really been around for that long.  Bands typically stayed together for a couple of albums, a handful if they were lucky, then broke up when their next album didn't have a big hit and people stopped coming to their shows.  The idea of staying together for 30 or 40 years was completely unheard-of when the bands were teenagers or twentysomethings in the first place.

They had spent much of 1974 and 1975 in either the US or France to avoid having to pay as much as 95% in taxation of their royalties

I always think of the line from The Beatles' song "Taxman", "There's one for you, nineteen for me."  When I was younger, I was certain that this line was hyperbole.  Sometimes it seems like the Taxman takes pretty much everything, leaving you just a tiny fraction of what you had earned yourself.  I had no idea that it was literally true.  The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and other British bands have written and talked about it, and George Harrison went ahead and wrote about it.  Whoa.  And Americans think they have it bad.