Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55948 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
´Where´s that confounded Bridge?!´
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
New reissues coming, this time Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UandfyNZxb4

https://www.ledzeppelin.com/buy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yup... already pre-ordered by this guy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

My favorite Zeppelin album and one of my all time favorite albums, top 5 for sure. Every song is fantastic.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
We've done four already but now we're steady, and then they went 1, 2, 3, 4....

BUM BUM BUMBUMBUM
BUMBUMUM BUMBUMBUM BUM BUMBUM

and then

DAT DOOWOP!

Sorry... I love love love The Ocean.

And the whole album.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Yeah, this album is all killer, no filler.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The Song Remains the Same was originally an instrumental which was given the working title "The Overture", that would simply lead in to The Rain Song.  Ultimately, Plant added lyrics to it, after which it temporarily came to be known as "The Campaign" before the band settled on the title "The Song Remains the Same".  It quickly became the opening track for many of their concerts hereafter.  Interestingly, Plant's vocal track was slightly sped up for the album release.

The Rain Song is considered by Plant to be his best overall vocal performance.  George Harrison was reportedly the inspiration for this track when he made a comment to Bonham, about the fact that the group never wrote any ballads.  The working title for this track was "Slush," a reference to its easy listening mock orchestral arrangement.  It's another structurally soft/heavy song, that builds slowly then explodes in organized chaos at the 5 minute mark where all four band members reach a simultaneous climax, then let us down slowly like a post coitus cuddle.

Originally written during the time that Page and Plant were at Bron-Yr-Aur writing for Zeppelin III, Over the Hills and Far Away is almost like a mini-Stairway.  Acoustic intro, followed by an an explosive intro by Bonzo, leading to soaring vocals by Plant.  Really not much to say here, it's just a straightforward awesome rock song

The Crunge evolved out of a jam session in the studio. John Bonham started the beat, John Paul Jones came in on bass, Jimmy Page played a funk guitar riff (and a chord sequence that he'd been experimenting with since 1970), and Robert Plant started singing - just the way the song actually is. This song is a play on James Brown's style of funk, and its constantly changing time signatures make it one of the the most unique songs in the catalog

Dancing Days was introduced by the band in concert well ahead of its commercial release, being played in concerts for months leading up to the delayed release of the album.  After the album dropped, it was the first track to be released to the radio industry by Atlantic.  However, it was largely dropped from concerts after that.  One of my least liked songs for the longest time, it's starting to grow on me of late.  I'm really starting to appreciate the guitar melodies - both lead and backing lines.

D'yer Mak'er was the second song on the album after The Crunge which was a quite obvious 'don't take us too seriously' track.  The only other Led Zeppelin song I dislike more than this is Hats Off to (Roy) Harper. More than likely because by some weird fucking reason, this is one of the songs that (at least here in Canada) is the Classic Rock staple on the radio.  Drives me nuts!  I've heard this song way more times than I would've liked.  I suspect that in moderation I could have enjoyed this. The title (based on an old English joke) was chosen because it reflects the reggae feel of the song (though Plant would comment that "reggae only works when the Jamaicans do it, not the whiteys").  Jones has expressed his distaste for the song, suggesting that it started off as a joke and wasn't thought through carefully enough.  Thankfully, This song was never performed live in its entirety.

No Quarter quickly became a centerpiece at all Led Zeppelin concerts thereafter, until their final tour, and inspired the title of Page/Plant's UnLedded reunion show in 1994.  The version that made it onto the album evolved out of a faster version Led Zeppelin had recorded earlier during the IV sessions - in production, Page dropped the whole song a semi-tone, and compressed the shit out of his guitar track, in order to give it a thicker and more intense mood that is very unique in the Zeppelin discography.

When you listen to the lyrics, and having (hopefully) read the posts on their touring escapades, it's quite obvious that The Ocean refers to the sea of fans seen from the stage at Led Zeppelin concerts, to whom this song is/was dedicated.  I always thought that Bonzo's introductory call was related to the first four albums, but it in fact is because of the four unsuccessful takes of the song they'd already tried.  "The "Girl who won my heart" is Plant's daughter Carmen, who was three years old at the time of recording, and naturally in concert Plant would always update the lyric to reflect her actual age.

jingle.boy's rankings:
The Song Remains the Same
The Rain Song
No Quarter
Over the Hills and Far Away
The Ocean
The Crunge
Dancing Days
D'yer Mak'er
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The Rain Song is one of my favorite songs by anyone ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

Controversial opinion time?

The Crunge is my favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Zeppelin songs overall. It's just awesomely crazy, bizarre, complicated but brief. The Rain song and Dancing days are close behind. The Ocean and The Song remains the same are tremendous rockers - and now that I know Plant's vocals were sped up on the latter, is that why his voice sounds higher than on other songs?

D'yer Mak'er would probably be my least favorite track on here if I had to choose, but I still love it - it always reminds me of a girl I met in high school who won me over in a club when I saw her singing along to this tune, while nobody else knew the song. Unfortunately, being a shy clumsy kid back in the day, I never managed to win her over, but I still smile when I listen to the song and remember the awkward yet beautiful high school days.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Took me a while to warm up to D'yer Mak'er, but I got there eventually. Though right now I'm thinking The Crunge is my least favourite from this album - but I still like it. For me, this is easily their most consistent album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
The Song Remains The Same as an instrumental?

That makes perfect fucking sense to me. It's always sounded like it woulda made a cool instrumental.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I love all the changes it goes through.  It's my favorite song on the album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
And it flows so well into The Rain Song

(Listening as we speak... errr... type)

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Love this record.

Over the Hills and Far Away, The Rain Song and No Quarter are three of my favorite LZ songs.

I like D'yer Mak'er a lot, probably cause it was one of the first LZ songs I really got into when hearing it on the radio.

The Crunge is pretty forgettable.

The Ocean freaking RAWKS. :metal :metal

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Over the Hills and Far Away is the first song I can remember being my favorite song of all time. The whole album is pretty amazing.

Online Anguyen92

I agree with all of the thoughts of Over the Hills and Far Away.  Great stuff, especially the part of the song that starts with Plant going "Many have I loved - Many times been bitten," and the solo around 2:20.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I just had a guy pull through my gate at work blasting The Rain Song in a 59 Caddy.

:metal

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Where's that confounded bridge?
« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2014, 06:59:53 AM »
I used to love HOTH, but for me it's not stood the test of time. It's the sound of a band who really don't know where to go next, have neglected their muse and are trying to capitalise on their success by reaching out to a more commercial crowd.

The Rain Song and No Quarter are excellent. Stunningly brilliant. The rest of the album is pretty good, but nothing quite reaches the heights of their previous album, or their next.

D'Yer Mak'er and The Crunge are both horrible, truly horrible.

For me, this album was a bit of a mis-step. So glad they turned it around with Physical Graffitti...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Where's that confounded bridge?
« Reply #403 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Coming out of 1972s tours, which sold out immediately without any advertising (one series of shows on the British Isles would sell out all 120,000 tickets in one day!), Led Zeppelin - and Peter Grant in particular - still felt they were the biggest band in the world, but nobody knew that.  The American press was actually afraid of Zeppelin, given their hedonistic reputation as homicidal maniacs. 

The band hired PR consultant Danny Goldberg (who also represented Frank Sinatra) to further promote the tour, and booked a number of large stadium venues. On May 4th, they broke Three Dog Night's record in Atlanta with a 49,000 crowd at Braves Stadium; the following night at Tampa Stadium, they played to 56,800 fans (breaking the single band record set by The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965), and grossed $309,000.  From Danny's efforts, when this tour broke box office records across America, it was splashed all over the media.  Danny also produced some embellished quotes from people such as the Mayor of Atlanta. In total, this tour grossed over $4,000,000.  Goldberg continued to do his job exquisitely, and got them the chance to be on the cover of Rolling Stone - the very outlet that had slagged them for so many years.  Naturally, the band turned the offer down.

On-stage, Led Zeppelin's shows were developed further from those performed on previous tours, with the introduction of dry ice, laser effects, backdrop mirrors, hanging mirror balls and Catherine wheel pyrotechnics. Their dress attire also took on a more flamboyant nature - in particular by Page's hummingbird jacket and Jones' Spanish matador jacket.

It was also during this tour that Led Zeppelin hired for the first time The Starship - a former United Airlines Boeing passenger jet.  Flying on their own plane, Led Zeppelin were now no longer required to change hotels so often. They could base themselves in large cities and travel to and from concerts within flying distance. After each show, the band members would be transported direct by limousine from the concert venue to the airport, as depicted in the concert film, The Song Remains the Same.

This tour changed the role for Jones on stage.  During live performances of No Quarter, Jones would showcase his skills as a pianist, frequently improvising on keyboards and playing parts of classical music. Performances of the song easily lasted twice the length of the studio version.  Jones would also stretch his wings, playing electric piano, organ, Mellotron... contributing to the sounds coming from the stage as equally as Page and Bonham.

Bonham's split personality was becoming more pronounced and noticeable.  Mild-mannered, charming and lovable while sober, "The Beast" would emerge with just the start of alcohol, and the start often led to 20 Black Russians.  On one occasion, he did exactly that, and pounded back 10 instantaneously to start his binge, normally finishing his binge with some sort of fist-fight.

The two legs of their 1973 US tour continued with crazy events such as a brawl in Boston against a Teamsters union goon squad, continued death threats on Page (who had also badly injured his hand before the 2nd leg of the tour), and picking up drag queens on Bourbon St.  But the big story of this tour came from the series of shows at Madison Square Gardens, but we'll save that for the The Song Remains The Same discussion.

Offline masterthes

Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Keepers of the Gloom
« Reply #404 on: September 05, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »
My favorite Zeppelin record. That being said, and talk about controversial, I am not a big fan of No Quarter, at all

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »
Alrighty then... since the touring notes don't seem to be generating much discussion, I'll wind those down.  If anyone wants to know anymore of that history, you should definitely pickup Hammer of the Gods.  Great read.

Physical Graffiti update coming tomorrow or Sunday

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:30 AM »
I'm not discussing them because I can't relate to them and have nothing to add, but reading them is mucho de awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2014, 07:14:17 AM »
Anyone else?  I'll happily keep doing it if ya'll dig the info.  I'm quite enjoying it myself, but don't want this to be a self-indulgent activity.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:31 AM »
Keep up with the touring notes.  I'm familiar with a lot of it, but I'd read about it here than read a book about it. :p

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »
Another vote to keep the touring notes. I may not comment as much as others, but I'm enjoying reading!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
I like all of your write ups including the touring notes. It was such a big part of their mystique that I'd miss them if the weren't in the thread!

Thanks jingle.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
TOURING NOTES!

TOURING NOTES!

TOURING NOTES!

COME ON, WHO'S WITH ME?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:55 AM »
I've liked reading the touring notes, just haven't felt it was necessary to respond to them.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
The touring notes are interesting.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
I'm a fucking sponge. I want to absorb any info you have. I can take all you have to give me....

...wait....

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
Yes, like the touring notes!

Really enjoying reading folks' thoughts as we move through the discography. I hadn't much listened to IV in years, because of how familiar it all is, but pulling that out again has been a real reminder of what an achievement it is. I wouldn't call it my favorite Zep album--that's probably HotH or Presence--but I agree it's their best.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2014, 06:09:10 AM »
Keep em coming!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Alright, alright!  The masses have spoken.  Physical Graffiti tomorrow... decided to sleep in today.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
The 1973 tours have generally been lauded as being a high point for Page's playing, in particular a series of dates in Germany where he was on fire. Plant was starting to learn the new limits of his voice, and Jones and Bonham remained their trusty selves. Alas, after 1973 things were never quite this good again, though I have a massive soft spot for the 1975 tour. I have all the available boots for the three shows that made up The Song Remains The Same, and when we get there remind me to re-link that Garden Tapes site, because that guy covers the hell out of how Page cut and pasted things together to make the movie AND the album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 07, 2014, 05:37:54 AM »
Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, whose sounds caress my ear
But not a word I heard could I relate, the story was quite clear

Physical Graffiti (1975)

The biggest album of Zeppelin's career in terms of number of songs, running time, range of styles and complexity of album art, Physical Graffiti was released on February 24th 1975 - nearly almost a year and a half from when they first started.  It was their first release on their own label, that they formed a year earlier after completing their 5 album deal with Atlantic Records.  Original writing/recording sessions started in November '73, but John Paul Jones wasn't well and they had to cancel the time (ultimately giving the studio to Bad Company for their self titled debut on Swan Song). It took three months to sort the situation out. In reality though, Jones was actually disillusioned with the band and touring, and had given notice to Peter Grant that he was quitting to become a church Choirmaster.  Fortunately, Grant's powers of persuasion convinced Jones to return to the band. Page had considered Swan Song for the title, but this would hardly be intended as the band's last hurrah - they were at the apex of their creativity.  So Swan Song became the name of their label instead, though it would never reach the success that the band had hoped for. 

The band wrote and recorded eight songs at Headley Grange which, stretched the album beyond the typical 40 minute length of an LP.   With more than enough material to deliver one album, it prompted the band to make Physical Graffiti a double album - though Page states *he* had always intended for this record to be an epic double LP.  The epic and anthemic new songs for Physical Grafitti would be interspersed with unreleased tracks from earlier recording sessions: one outtake from Led Zeppelin III; three from Led Zeppelin IV; and three from Houses of the Holy - tracks that normally wouldn't (and hadn't) cut it for a single album release.  Of all the albums in their discography, this is the one whose whole is definitely greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Page's skills and creativity as a producer were also at their peak.  In their earlier albums, his philosophy was that if they couldn't reproduce the sound live, it shouldn't be recorded in the studio.  As such, the recordings had very few layers to them, and were completely relatively quickly.  With Physical Graffiti, though the recordings were done live in the studio, he tinkered and tweaked with it for over a year, and on Ten Years Gone alone, has fourteen different guitar layers! 

With the release of the album, all five of Zeppelin's previous albums also re-entered the Billboard Top 200 (I at 83; II at 104; III at 124; IV at 106; and Houses at 92).  No other band/artist had ever had 6 albums on the chart simultaneously.  Combined with three other Swan Song albums on the charts, Zeppelin had 9 albums in total on the charts.  Especially remarkable about Physical Graffiti's opening week chart at #3, and then #1 the following week, was it's outrageous $11.98 price tag!

According to Plant, of all the albums Led Zeppelin released, Physical Graffiti represented the band at its most creative and most expressive. He has commented that it is his favourite Led Zeppelin album. Similarly, Page considers this album to be a "high watermark" for Led Zeppelin.

The two five-story buildings photographed for the album cover are located at 96 and 98 St. Mark's Place in New York City, and would become a popular tourist location for music fans - perhaps only surpassed by the Abbey Road crossing.