Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55844 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator

Ramble On
Whole Lotta Love
What Is...
Heartbreaker
Bring It On Home
Thank You
Living Loving Maid
The Lemon Song
Moby Dick

My list exactly. And an excellent, excellent album.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I never  have a hunkering for early Zep.
Man oh man

*post*
You're the coolest guy I know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Thanks!

:yarr

Offline Lowdz

Just had a play through whilst doing some chores and enjoyed it well enough. Better than the first as that slight 60s vibe is less present. Plant wasn't too annoying either. Even songs I know, and that's most of the album tbh, sounded good.

I really love that riff in Living Loving Maid. Firrst heard it on the Great White tribute album. Lots of cool riffs on this album and seeral instances where I recognised where other bands have stolen the odd riff or melody. Returning the favour I guess!  :biggrin:

Yeah, enjoyable. Sounds too dated to get regular play chez Lowdz, but certainly worth a go now and then

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
We're winning you over .... one album at a time.  III will throw you for a loop.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
We're winning you over .... one album at a time.  III will throw you for a loop.

Oh yeah it will big time. 

As teens we tried to cover songs from II.  We thought we were the bomb.  The cassettes said otherwise... :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Maybe you posted it already and I missed it, but why did Rolling Stone hate Led Zeppelin?

Because they weren't Bob Dylan...

This is not far from the truth, in a nutshell. To this day, Rolling Stone is a liberal rag that revels in its own politicism.  Looking at that time period of the late sixties/early seventies, Zeppelin just didnt do the message/protest music that is epitomized by Dylan.  They just weren't politically correct, so to speak. Zep played distorted over-the-top orgiastic bombastic virtuosic songs full of posturing, bravado and self-indulgence that were anathema to the Rolling Stone credo. There's nothing intellectual about Zep's music...it's 110% visceral.

As DT fans, we've seen this sort of 'reverse snobbery' before. In order to get the great reviews from the music intelligentsia, you had to suck at singing and playing your instrument.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:13:30 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
What Dazed and Confused delivered in an unmistakable base line, Page lays out in a riff to open Whole Lotta Love that still gives me shivers every time I hear it - and then Jones takes it to another level when he adds the bass unison.  The little sigh that precedes it is a nice touch, as if to say 'ok, let's get this fucker under way'.  This too brings about an instrumental wank-fest which takes years upon years of listening to truly appreciate.  Sound Engineer Eddie Kramer said they produced the song by "twiddling every knob known to man".  Though they contractually had complete creative control, in 1969 an edited version of "Whole Lotta Love", was released as a single in the US against the band's wishes. It reached number four in the Billboard chart in January 1970, selling over one million copies helping to cement the their popularity.  It was the highest charting single the band ever had.

What Is and What Should Never Be represents a complete change of pace from the frantic feel of the opening track.  This song meanders along with Jones leading the way through the verses. This song produced a lot of 'what the fuck' moments when I first tried to interpret the lyrics. I have no idea what this one is about, but it doesn't matter really. I finally came to realize that this song just 'is', and that's the point. Page delivers a soulful solo, that is also greatly improved with the recent remaster.

The Lemon Song comes out with an overt sexual theme that is about as subtle as a crowbar to the face.  I absolutely love the frantic instrumental sections - moreso here than on the opening track.  I think I already said everything else that needs to be said in the intro to the album.  The only other thing I'll say is DAT BASS!  JPJ owns this bitch.

Thank You was the first set of lyrics entirely credited to Plant (in a dedication to his wife Maureen), and the song that Page realized he could turn over principal lyric writing to Plant.  It's a simple ballad, and the first from the band.  Nothing too special here, but it just goes to show the diversity the band had, and would continue to exude for their entire career.  Plant used this as an intro to Crazy Little Thing Called Love at Wembley Stadium for Freddie Mercury tribute concert in 1992.

Some argue that Whole Lotta Love is the showcase of the album, but a case can certainly be made that it is actually Heartbreaker that is the flagship song from Zeppelin II.  Though Page's contributions were not nearly as front and centre as they were for the debut album, Zeppelin II marked the introduction of his soon-to-be-legendary use of a 1959 Gibson Les Paul guitar, this being the first song he used it on.  This and Communication Breakdown were the only two songs that Zeppelin performed every year the band toured.  Page claims that he laid down the legendary solo without so much as a second thought - the solo having been recorded in a totally different studio than the rest of the guitar mix.  To hear that this solo, one of the most famous from the 70s and an influence on countless axemen to follow, was an 'afterthought' once the song was tracked is either amazing or shocking - I'm not sure which.

Reportedly Page's least favorite song from their catalog, Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman) is driven by a very simple up and down melody that was the B-side to the Whole Lotta Love single edit.  No one is really sure how this became 'act 2' of Heartbreaker, but you rarely hear the two songs without the other - and you never heard this at a Zeppelin concert/bootleg (save for a single show in Düsseldorf in 1970 which a short segment of the song was played right after Heartbreaker).  It was originally published in the UK as "Livin' Lovin' Wreck (She's a Woman)".

Plant's love affair with fantasy lyrics, and Lord of the Rings in particular are first displayed on Ramble On.  The opening lyric is also paraphrased from a Tolkein poem.  One of my favorite Zeppelin tunes of all time, it's a simple acoustic melody with a dancing bass line that leads into a fantastic chorus.  How the percussion sounds are produced is up for much debate, ranging from speculation they were even made with a small plastic waste bin. 

Moby Dick - Often imitated, never duplicated.  The origins of Moby Dick come from the live 30+ minute solos Bonzo would deliver from their previous tour, under the moniker "Pat's Delight" (as Jaq spoiled) .  It is these solo's that made Bonham the legend he is/was, establishing the roots of arguably the best rock drummer in history. In the late 60s, there weren't too many individual studio release tracks that were drum solos. This goe to show the confidence the band had in Bonzo's capable hands and feet.

With musical contributions from Plant on the harmonica, Bring it on Home teases a blues theme from the intro, then abruptly turns into a very simple, straight forward rock tune.  Page gives us yet another blazing, multi-layered guitar riff, and Bonzo's lays down some fantastic drum fills.  There's even a muted trumpet effect thrown in there for the hell of it.  For such a basic tune, there's a lot of complex subtleties going on.

Jingle.boy's ranking:
Ramble On
Whole Lotta Love
Hertbreaker/Living Loving Maid
The Lemon Song
Bring it on Home
What Is and What Should Never Be
Moby Dick
Thank You
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

My favorite part of Ramble On was that brief instrumental bit before the 2nd chorus around the 1:45 mark or so.  My one gripe with the studio version of it is the fade out ending.  I don't like fade out endings, in general, and this is no exception.  I loved how the song ended during their Celebration Day concert or when Page and JPJ played it with Foo Fighters at Wembley.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
For me I really like:

Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid
What Is And What Should Never Be
Ramble On
Thank You

..and everything else.

I find Whole Lotta Love an annoying song though. As great as that guiter solo is, it's really not worth having to slog through the rest of the it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

I find Whole Lotta Love an annoying song though. As great as that guiter solo is, it's really not worth having to slog through the rest of the it.

Well, this little baby begs to differ:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qaRmg77Ud48
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline masterthes

I've always thought that was more the cutoff of a laugh at the beginning of Whole Lotta Love

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It is, I'm pretty sure.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

The only possible response - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRrjFjJ9fI

Laugh?  Sigh?  Whatever it is, I always thought it was neat that it started that way instead of right into the riff.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
"What Is And Never Should Never Be" is one of my all time favorite Zep tracks. I agree with Jingle about the solo. Incredibly soulful.

My rankings for this album would go

Bring It On Home
Whole Lotta Love
Ramble On
Living Loving Maid
Moby Dick
The Lemon Song
Heartbreaker
Thank You

There is really no bad song on this album

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's funny, but
1. Who's driving?
2. I didn't know Hef was Italian

But THIS is the kid that I love!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK__uM_ArlE
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Heartbreaker
Ramble On
Thank You
Whole Lotta Love
Moby Dick
Bring It On Home
Living Loving Maid
The Lemon Song

Never was a huge fan of this album, but I gotta say its pretty dang solid.  Riffs  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was reading about the next set of remasters today.
I have a question. How come no live stuff has never been released from the band? This whole remasters thing seems like such a cash grab by Page. But I figure there's endless streams of tape of Live Zeppelin in the vaults.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Live DVD & How the West Was Won?  Or do you mean besides those?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
What Is And What Should Never Be, legend has it, was about Robert Plant thinking his wife's sister was hot.

Whether or not it actually is now, I don't know, but that's the story I've heard at a few Zep forums.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, I'm aware of How The West Was Won. I actually don't have it. BTW,  when/ where was that actually recorded?

I guess I'm thinking that there should be more out there, especially if they want to make extra cash, which to me, is what this remasters series is all about.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
2003, I think?  Its pretty awesome. 

I agree there should be more live stuff, never been a fan of the whole 'remastering' thing.  Most of the time its a fancy way of saying "We're re-releasing your favourite albums, sans dynamic range."

Offline jammindude

I was reading about the next set of remasters today.
I have a question. How come no live stuff has never been released from the band? This whole remasters thing seems like such a cash grab by Page. But I figure there's endless streams of tape of Live Zeppelin in the vaults.

Actually there are FOUR official Live albums:

The Song Remains the Same
The BBC Sessions
How the West Was Won
Celebration Day

Ok...you could make the claim that BBC was "live in studio" and Celebration Day was just the reunion...but still.  That's two live albums PLUS the Led Zeppelin DVD boxed set which has MORE officially released live footage from over 10 different shows, totaling about 2 and a half hours.   

Considering the band only really released 8 actual albums, I'd say that's not half bad.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

Well, I'm aware of How The West Was Won. I actually don't have it. BTW,  when/ where was that actually recorded?

I guess I'm thinking that there should be more out there, especially if they want to make extra cash, which to me, is what this remasters series is all about.

How The West Was Won was recorded on July 25 and July 27, 1972, at Long Beach and Los Angeles, CA and released alongside DVD in 2003.  Zeppelin is actually already very well represented live between the recent LZ 1 live disc and existing releases: between The BBC Sessions, The Song Remains The Same, How The West Was Won, and DVD, the only years of touring that aren't represented in some fashion for Zep are the 1977 tour and the 1980 European tour. I am assuming that since the 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975 tours and the Knebworth shows in 1979 are already out there in some form on official releases, that's why Page isn't releasing more bonus live stuff.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, Celebration Day is a reunion show, so I don't count that. I've never bothered to get HTWWW. I may if that's when/where it was recorded. I assumed it was a big mashup of live material, not from a singular show (or 2).

I have pro shot footage of Knebworth and the Seattle '77 show, as most people have. Honestly, I'd much rather get a cleaned up official version of one of those more than a Remaster of a studio album. I think that's my point.

Also, I love the Song Remains The Same live footage, but I guess we'll get to that in due time.

Offline Jaq

Oh I'd rather have those, or the Southampton gig that was recorded for a live album and never released, myself. Just suggesting why Page isn't putting it out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
They actually tried recording more than a few shows for official live releases, but Page kiboshed them, often stating the recording quality wasn't good enough to put together an official release.  Gonna save some more comments for my 'touring' posts.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't buy Led Zeppelin II until I was old enough to drive. I'd heard the album so much at my buddies house, and from my siblings, that every time I went to the record store there was always something new that caught my eye more. When I did buy it, I remember I was driving through the desert late one night, on my way home from a party, and had II playing pretty loud in my menopause-red 1975 Mustang II liftback. I was digging on The Lemon Song but because of the late hour, and the beer, I was getting a little sleepy...then Heartbreaker started playing and it just hit me like a liter of coffee. The effect Jonesy has on his bass just roared in the enclosed space was simply chill inducing. When the famous solo came in it was near impossible to stay within the speed limit. Because of the vividness of this memory, Heartbreaker has always been my favorite from this album.

Of course when the cassette flipped, the first song was Thank You so I had to prop my eyelids open with toothpicks again.  :biggrin:

I see that most people don't rate Moby Dick very highly, and that's understandable since very few people dig drum solos anymore, but that riff! Holy shit! I always wished they'd made a more complete song out of it since everything around the "drumb" solo is completely awesome.

I think a close second place on this album is Bring It On Home again due to the main riff. It's just so explosively energetic. The riff under the verses is spectacular too.

This is a fantastic album with so many hooks, without relying on choruses, that it was truly unique for the time. And the sound of it is still fantastic--remarkably so since, as it has been pointed out, it was recorded in so many different places. Not my favorite Zep, but I won't hesitate to put it on or stop what I'm doing to give it my attention when I hear it played.

:tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It still amuses me how Whole Lotta Love is basically one giant orgasm set to music. :lol :lol

Offline Mladen

The second Led Zeppelin album is an improvement over their slower, bluesy debut, which mostly has to do with the heavier edge. Hearbreaker is my favorite early heavy Zeppelin song, and Living loving mad is a lot of fun. Out of the softer songs, I've always really enjoyed Ramble on.

But overall I think the best stuff was yet to come. There are some songs that I've never liked as much as most fans. Whole lotta love is good, but honestly, it loses me in the middle. If I'm on my feet going crazy with some buddies, it's great, but whenever I sit down to listen through it, I just kinda forget I'm listening to anything. The Lemon song is still a rather dull blues song, apart from the faster bit - the next album will truly deliver in the blues department, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
JPJ's work on the bass alone is enough to make The Lemon Song highly enjoyable every time I listen to it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
JPJ's work on the bass alone is enough to make The Lemon Song highly enjoyable every time I listen to it.

No shit!  :tup  Also, the tone on Page's guitar is killer.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

inorite!?!?  I dunno if last month's remaster pumped it up even more, but when I listened to it on the weekend it hit me like a ton of bricks.  And it's not just the instrumental sections, it's the whole freakin song.  Like I said, JPJ owns that bitch.

I understand the dislike for the mid-section of Whole Lotta Love, but it's only 1:40 long, so it's not like it overstays its welcome or purpose.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Whole Lotta Love is glorious from start to finish.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Anyone ever see the original video for "Whole Lotta Love"?  This was way back before videos were common, but some songs back in the 70's did have videos.  There was a show on regular TV (I don't remember the name) back before MTV, that played videos, and they showed the video for "Whole Lotta Love".  Either someone didn't bother watching the whole thing, or they just didn't care, but there are a couple shots of bare boobs in there.  Hey, this was regular TV back in the 70's and I was a schoolboy.  This was exciting stuff.  Boobs on TV!