Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55933 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Lord how you hypnotize
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
Wow...Four pages in and I finally hop on-board. I feel like the guys who showed up at Normandy on June 7th! Be that as it may, I too chose expert. Hopefully I can add something to the discussion.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
You're an expert....we're discussing the first album....and your first comment is about planning to comment....

;)  :angel:  :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
The most stunning thing about Good Times Bad Times (and it's subtle if you're not listening for it - and obvious if you are), is Bonzo's amazing kick drum. It's superhuman when you realize he was not playing with double kick. That's one kick drum! Bonham's repeated use of a series of two sixteenth-note triplets on a single bass drum, is an effect many subsequent rock drummers have imitated, and as well as keeping the hi-hat playing eighth notes throughout almost the entire song with his left foot. Bonham had reportedly developed this technique after listening to Vanilla Fudge, yet he was unaware that drummer Carmine Appice was actually playing on a double bass set!  And of course, this is the original song with MORE COWBELL!

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is where we hear Plant take front and center stage for Zeppelin.  Plant ad-libbed and creatively expanded on many of the lyrics of this cover (though they did not immediately give the credit - and hence the start of their legal troubles Greg referenced).  Rather than "never leave", he will "never never never never gonna leave you babe".  In fact, he sings 'babe' or 'baby' 34 times, as opposed to the Joan Baez version, where it's repeated just 4 times.  Plant doesn't as much sing, as he weaves a tale with his voice, often forsaking words for a series of screams, wails and yelps - and it all works.  In fact, references to babe, girl, woman etc... show up over 60 times on the album (over half on this track) - pointing out the central theme... da bitches.  :lol 

You Shook Me is actually a 1962 blues song recorded by Chicago blues artist Muddy Waters.  Jeff Beck recorded "You Shook Me" with the first Jeff Beck Group line-up during the sessions for the Truth album in May 1968 (with John Paul Jones contributing the organ).  At nearly six and a half minutes, it is considerably longer than the Muddy Waters or Jeff Beck recordings.  This is a slow, plodding, trodding blues track, and my least favorite track on the album.  I find Plant's vocals and Page's slides to sound like they are both whining, and not in a nice way.  Jones' organ solo picks it up a little, but not enough for me to really enjoy this one.

Dazed and Confused is without a doubt the centerpiece of the album.  It was a song originally written and performed by Jake Holmes, and also covered by the Yardbirds.  For the release on Zeppelin I, Page used the title, penned a new set of lyrics, and modified the melody, and as such they hold a separate copyright on the song. It was a staple of The Yardbirds' live performance during the last year of their act, although the song was never officially recorded by the band.  With an unmistakable base line, it garners your attention instantly.  Although for me, it is the instrumental chorus that is the most provoking and fully displays Zeppelin's initial grandeur. The first of many instrumental wankfests, and the outro from it gives me chills. Every. Single. Time.  This is where Plant opens the flood gates and truly wails and you get the sense that he has a voice that is in another league from other rock vocalists in 1968. What Bonham can do with and 8 piece drum kit is truly astounding. It's amazing that it only clocks in at 6:26 - there are three songs on the album longer than it!

Jones' musical talent is on display in the keyboard heavy track, Your Time Is Gonna Come, where he only uses the pedal for the bass line.  This sounds more like the rock music of the late 60s.  Incredibly, Page said he only learned how to play the steel guitar during the sessions for the first album.  The lyric "One of these days and it won't be long / You'll look for me but baby I'll be gone" is lifted from the Ray Charles song "I Believe to My Soul", reinforcing Plant's affinity for rhythm and blues.

Black Mountain Side was inspired by a traditional Irish folk music, the unique part about this is that Page would tune his guitar in a very unique D-A-D-G-A-D (not like that means anything to me).  Yet outside of a few English folk acts, this was a tuning very seldomly used - though Page would claim he tuned it in C-I-A ... Celtic, Indian and Arabian.  To enhance that eastern sound, Page hired drummer and sitarist Viram Jasani to play tabla (an Indian percussion instrument) on the track.

In my opinion, Communication Breakdown is to 1969 Led Zeppelin what black Paranoid (the track) was to 1970 Black Sabbath.  This was frantic rock/metal like had seldom been made or heard before, and wow'd the fuck out of you from a debut album.  And also clocking in at under 3 minutes like Paranoid, it's over and done with in a flash. This is one of the few songs that Page sang background vocals on.

I Can't Quit You Baby, along with the final track, really showed how much influence the blues played with Page.  The first of many heavily inspired blues songs in the Zeppelin catalogue, it was originally written by Willie Dixon and first recorded by Otis Rush in 1956 . The recent remaster really cleans up the guitar solo magnificently. 

How Many More Times.  Magnificent.  Simply magnificent, with what's categorized as a 'bolero' (Latin) beat from Bonham and Jones pushing the rest of the song along.  Though not originally given credit, it was a loose cover (in arrangement) of a 1951 track by Chester Burnett called "How Many More Years". And that's all I got, since Gord stole my thunder about the time listed on the album sleeve. :biggrin:

Jingle.boy's ranking:
How Many More Times
Dazed And Confused
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
I Can't Quit You Baby
Your Time Is Gonna Come/Black Mountain Side (with the cross-fade, it's hard to separate these two)
You Shook Me
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Hard to argue with that ranking.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I chose advanced...although, I'm not as 'into them' (obsessive is really the right word) as I am most of my other favorite bands, I've been listening to them my entire life and still listen to them pretty consistently today; first band I can remember listening to, and while they may not be my favorite, they're my most appreciated and my longest band I've held as a favorite that I also listen to regularly. I'd like to give massive amounts of love to Gallows Pole, Tangerine, The Rover, In My Time of Dying and Ten Years Gone.

Course I love the classics but these songs really resonated with me. TYG especially, and was the first song that made me realize how powerful music is...also the first song that made me tear up. Tangerine was the first song that gave me a spiritual boner; it's impossible for the song to not lift my spirits and make me wanna *pardon the cliche* light one up. Either way I don't think there's a song by the band that I don't like, but TYG is by far my favorite. I tend to enjoy the first half of their discography more than the latter considering it just so happens that's what my parents constantly blasted, but I can also see why it's where their classics lie.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:18:18 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Your rankings are pretty spot on Chad, I'd make one change to look like this....

*** The top two are interchangeable depending on my mood.

Dazed And Confused
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
How Many More Times
I Can't Quit You Baby
Your Time Is Gonna Come/Black Mountain Side (with the cross-fade, it's hard to separate these two)
You Shook Me

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
God, I love this album.

And this album is probably the last time that Dazed & Confused was performed in 6:26.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
God, I love this album.

And this album is probably the last time that Dazed & Confused was performed in 6:26.

You can strike "probably" from that sentence.  Unless, it was one of the many covers that have been done of it.  Zeppelin probably never played it in less than 10 minutes - and likely topped it out over 40 minutes on occasion.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Communication Breakdown would be my favorite from this disc.  Good comparison to Paranoid.

Online mikeyd23

Jumping into this thread late, but better late than never! I placed myself somewhere in between intermediate and advanced, probably more toward intermediate so I went with that.

Anyways I just listened to LZI and was reminded how much I love this album, it had been a while since I listened to it.  I'd pretty much agree with Jingle's song rankings, maybe Dazed and Confused would edge out How Many More Times for the top spot though.  Overall, great debut album from a great band, I'll be following this thread!  :tup

Offline masterthes

I could never stand any of the live versions of Dazed and Confused. Just too damn long

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
God, I love this album.

You can strike "probably" from that sentence.  Unless, it was one of the many covers that have been done of it.  Zeppelin probably never played it in less than 10 minutes - and likely topped it out over 40 minutes on occasion.

Actually, there is a version of D&C on the BBC Sessions that is a mere 6:39. The next two shortest I can find are the bonus videos from TV performances on DVD that went 7:30 and just under 10 minutes.  It started going over 10 minutes practically as soon as the band started touring, and by 1975 had ballooned to generally around 35 minutes, with several going over 40 and the longest going 46 minutes (3/27/75, Los Angeles Forum, the show where the band was introduced by Deep Throat star Linda Lovelace, which gave the names "Deep Throat 1-3" for that three show run for the Mike Millard audience recordings.) The version on the BBC Sessions release is the closest to the studio run time I can find.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Leave it to Jaq to give us the information about Linda Lovelace.

Jaq found that out in a back of a car no doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Just a couple of personal observations on I:

- Good Times Bad Times is a killer tune. That swinging opening riff and drum intro is the perfect clarion call. It's like a little teaser/appetizer for what is to come, both album-wise and career-wise. Page's guitar solos literally explode with energy. Listen to Kirk Hammett's solos on Hit The Lights, the opening track off Metallica's debut Kill 'Em All. I honestly believe Hammett was going  for the exact same feeling of frenetic energy and melody that Page achieves with his playing on GTBT.

- Even at this early stage, there's quite a bit of exoticism (which later morphed into mysticism) on Zep's debut album. Yes there were a handful of bands doing the hard and heavy blues thing at this time, most notably Cream, Hendrix and Fleetwood Mac, but none of these bands approached the ethereality of Your Time is Gonna Come, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused and Black Mountain Side. This was part of what separated Zeppelin from the rest of the pack. Zeppelin wanted to do more than the heavy blues...a LOT more.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:19:42 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Jaq

Leave it to Jaq to give us the information about Linda Lovelace.

Jaq found that out in a back of a car no doubt.

Actually downloading bootlegs back in 2007.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I could never stand any of the live versions of Dazed and Confused. Just too damn long

I don't think I've ever actually listened to any live version of that song.  And I have zero desire to.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
God, I love this album.

Actually, there is a version of D&C on the BBC Sessions that is a mere 6:39.
Yep, I remember that one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Love this album. First LZ album I ever heard in its entirety. I was 10, and my uncle and his friend were working on my uncles car one day. They set a stereo speaker up in the window, and cranked his friends LP while they worked. I was tossing a baseball with my best friend next door, and when "Good Times, Bad Times" came on, it blew me away. My Mom sang opera with the NY Met before I was even born, and my Dad was a total redneck bluegreass/country guy; so my musical tastes were all over the place. But my Mom really pushed the limits for me musically. She exposed me to music and genres from all over the world. When I was six, she bought me my own steel drum.  :lol By the time I was 10, I was already really heavily into Motown, and really, really into the Beatles, and was in mad love with my favorite then- the Blues. I had more than a dozen blues albums then. After that first song, I put down my baseball glove to the chagrin of my friend, sat down on our front stoop, and settled in for the ride.

By the time we got to "How Many More Times" and I heard that Booker T. hook and reference from "The Hunter", that was it for me.  Add those elements from Bolero (which I'd heard my mom play on our stereo dozens of times, practically since it came out as my mom at that time loved Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds) and I was gonna be a fan for life. :lol

I went in the house and told my mom that Uncle Stanley's friend had this awesome album, and could we go buy one. So the next day, she drove me to the department store and we bought I-IV.

I got HotH for my 11th birthday that next year.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:14:27 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
LZ1 is a great album, although there are a couple weak spots. GTBT was one of the first Zep songs I ever heard, and Communication Breakdown was one of my favorite songs for a while. My parents didn't let me listen to How Many More Times for a while ( I was only 8 and the lyrics are pretty darn suggestive), but once I did it quickly became my favorite on the album.

Offline jammindude

My ranking:

You Shook Me
How Many More Times
Dazed and Confused
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
I Can't Quit You Baby
Black Mountain Side
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Communication Breakdown
Good Times, Bad Times

But there's seriously not a bad song in the bunch.   I love this entire album, and I don't see the bottom songs as being "worst" or "bad"...just "least best".

Offline Anguyen92

I don't think I've ever actually listened to any live version of that song.  And I have zero desire to.

I can recall when I watched Celebration Day for the 1st time where I watched Dazed and Confused and I was like "Where/When does this song end?  Did they transition into another song?  I lost track." and that version was around 10-15 min. long.  I think The Song Remains the Same version was around close to 30 min, but we'll get to that when we can properly talk about that movie.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't heard the live versions of Dazed and Confused...dat, tone! Jimmy's live tone, and the way he hangs on those descending notes until the very last microsecond and then attacks the next one. Oh, mercy, it's acid rock at it's finest and oh so sexy.

Something I don't think we've talked much about is chicks dig it. Sure Zep's music is very muscular and testosterone fueled, for the most part, but women were all over this music too. Summers in the park were just as likely to find a group of daisy duke stretching, tube top jiggling, tanned girls playing Frisbee while the car stereo busted out "Whole 'Lotta Love", as it was to find guys doing the same (just without the tube tops). Not once has any woman I've ever lived with, wife or otherwise, asked me to turn off Zeppelin. Never. In fact, they've all loved the music as much as me. That's a rare and beautiful thing in my experience and also adds to awesome factor.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

I can see how it can be a chore to listen to D&C live-to me once it started going over 30 minutes it became over the top-but oh, those ones in the 12-25 minute range are glorious.  :metal

The one on Celebration Day is a mere baby at 13 minutes, and the one on Song Remains The Same is 27 minutes, which is actually edited down a few minutes from the live performance used for it.

...I may have listened to a lot of versions of Dazed And Confused in my time.   :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I've heard a few.  I think the live performances are mostly very good, I love the extended live versions.

Offline Jaq

Some of my favorite Zep boots are from the 1975 tour, just because, if you're a fan of extended jamming, D&C and No Quarter could give you at least 60 minutes and as many as 75 minutes a night.  :biggrin:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Yeah, those were two of their highlight songs for sure.  You do have to like extended jams, though.  I can see why it's not for everyone, but in general, I'm in favor of it.

Offline jammindude

The rerelease of The Song Remains the Same contains the longer (supposedly complete) performance frm one of the nights. Its just a few seconds short of 30 min.

Offline Jaq

The rerelease of The Song Remains the Same contains the longer (supposedly complete) performance frm one of the nights. Its just a few seconds short of 30 min.

Both versions of D&C are made up of edited together bits of the three performances of the song over the MSG stand the movie was (largely) filmed at.

https://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt10.html

Hang on to your hat  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Both versions of D&C are made up of edited together bits of the three performances of the song over the MSG stand the movie was (largely) filmed at.
https://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt10.html

Hang on to your hat  :lol

:lol Holy shit! That's devotion, brother.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

Yeah, I love my Zep bootlegs, but that guy takes the cake and the icing  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I love my Zep bootlegs, but that guy takes the cake and the icing  :lol

Wonder what category he'd classify himself in?  :lol

Offline jammindude

Just reading the history of the album TSRTS is quite fascinating.  But we'll save it.

I do honestly hope that you will cover it in detail when it comes time to...it has the potential to be the most interesting write up of them all...   (also has the potential to be as long to read as D&C is to listen to.   :rollin )

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just reading the history of the album TSRTS is quite fascinating.  But we'll save it.

I do honestly hope that you will cover it in detail when it comes time to...it has the potential to be the most interesting write up of them all...   (also has the potential to be as long to read as D&C is to listen to.   :rollin )

I didn't intend to give it any more (or less) attention than the studio releases.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Joining late, but love the idea of this thread.

Put myself down for 'advanced'.  I've watched TSRTS a lot, had Coda on vinyl (but lost it in a recent house fire, along with all my other collection :( ) but am in no way an expert.

Anyways, LZ1 rankings:

Good Times, Bad Times
Dazed and Confused
Communication Breakdown
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
How Many More Times
I Can't Quit You Baby
Black Mountain Side
Your Time Is Gonna Come
You Shook Me

This album is a weird one - it has high highs and dismal lows for me.  But you just can't go past GTBT, especially that opening.  That song pretty much lets the listener know that they're in for some insanely good drumming, much in the same way Where Eagles Dare opens Maiden's Piece of Mind. 

Dazed and Confused is certainly classic Zeppelin, JPJ's bass line is still the first thing I think to play whenever I pick up my jazz bass.  Or any bass for that matter. 

Communication Breakdown is of course another classic.  So energy.  Not much else to say about that.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave you is just epic, one of the first Zeppelin songs I learnt to play on guitar.  Mesmerising guitar work from Page.

The rest of the album is quite ho-hum IMO. 

The black and white bonus footage on 'DVD' of the live TV special the guys did in (I think) '69 really helped cement Zeppelin as one of my favourite bands.  I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to check it out, its so nice to see the band young and fresh faced - but totally dominating.  The live version of Dazed and Confused is infinitely more palatable than the clusterfuck it turned into in later years.  And of course, seeing/hearing Bonzo play in that small room, you can really feel how he just absolutely destroys those skins. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
As I noted in my Top50 album write-ups, one of my favorite and most important features in a band in music is that they aren't stagnant. They have to be themselves but for me to not get bored of their sound they need to move it all around the spectrum of music while still maintaining who they are. Zeppelin are the MASTERS of that IMO. I'll go ahead and say I'm a pretty big fan-boy of everything Zeppelin did. There's maybe a handful of songs that I wasn't a fan of but even those I wouldn't say were horrible (in Zeppelin scale maybe they weren't good).

Led Zeppelin I is such a statement album for me that it raises it's ranking personally quite high. I mean, when I think of where this album took music and the sound it still has compared to the time period is quite astounding. I also happen to be a fairly big fan of R&B and Blues so that particular aspect of Zep's sound has always been a draw for me along with the growth the band will make from album to album going forward.